Bangkok: US photojournalist James Nachtwey shot in leg, returns to duty next day

webfact

65-year-old photojournalist shot in leg, returns to duty next day
By Coconuts Bangkok

nachtwey.jpg?itok=Cjd8-Kwu
Photo: Victor Morozov

BANGKOK: -- A veteran American photojournalist returned to cover yesterday's election one day after being shot in the leg.

James Nachtwey, 65, was shot while covering Saturday's gunbattle near the Lak Si district office.

Nachtwey told the Wall Street Journal he was "extremely lucky" and that the bullet passed through his leg.

“There’s an entry and exit," he said. "I’m walking now. I’m okay.”"

Nachtwey, who has covered conflicts as a photojournalist for 30 years, said [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/03/65-year-old-photojournalist-shot-leg-returns-field-next-day

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-03

• Like 2

In fact, after paramedics cleaned his wound and trying to take him to hospital, he discharged himself and carried on with filming. When everything was over he went to hospital by himself. An unusually brave man, beyond call of duty.

Hope his shooters will be cought and punished. Judging by his beheviuor he might have pictures of them on his own camera, so waiting for shots

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 1

Mr. Nachtwey has been a contract photographer for Time Magazine since 1984, done work for the Magnum Photos cooperative and was a founding member of the VII photo agency.

He has documented wars, famine and genocide in places such as Sudan, Rwanda, Somalia, Afghanistan and Chechnya. Among the honors he has received for his work are the Robert Capa Gold Medal, which he won five times. He is also a two-time recipient of the World Press Photo Award and was the subject of the 2001 Academy Award-nominated documentary “War Photographer.” In 2003 Nachtwey was injured during a grenade attack while on assignment in Baghdad.

More details here on the incident - Wall Street Journal

• Like 1

I had the privilege of working with James many years ago. He's a brilliant photographer, a journalist of the highest caliber as well as a true gentleman. May the gods watch over him, as he puts himself in harm's way, to get the story in a way only few photogs know how.

• Like 1

Mr. Nachtwey has been a contract photographer for Time Magazine since 1984, done work for the Magnum Photos cooperative and was a founding member of the VII photo agency.

He has documented wars, famine and genocide in places such as Sudan, Rwanda, Somalia, Afghanistan and Chechnya. Among the honors he has received for his work are the Robert Capa Gold Medal, which he won five times. He is also a two-time recipient of the World Press Photo Award and was the subject of the 2001 Academy Award-nominated documentary War Photographer. In 2003 Nachtwey was injured during a grenade attack while on assignment in Baghdad.

More details here on the incident - Wall Street Journal

Sounds good, except for the Robert Capa medal. Capa was a left wing partisan who was eventually found to have faked combat photos during the Spanish Civil War. It's never very profitable when journalists and photographers carry an agenda, left or right, into their workplace. Not saying this guy was. Don't know anything about him, but I do know about Capa and distrust any award associated with his name.

This is ,at least to me the most outstanding thing that has happened. 65 years of are and takes a round straight through his leg and carries on and treats it like a minor incident. Many in this nation could learn from his courage and resolve.

Sounds good, except for the Robert Capa medal. Capa was a left wing partisan who was eventually found to have faked combat photos during the Spanish Civil War. It's never very profitable when journalists and photographers carry an agenda, left or right, into their workplace. Not saying this guy was. Don't know anything about him, but I do know about Capa and distrust any award associated with his name.

Well let's just point out that Nachtwey is the most acclaimed photojournalist of our age, and that the Capa Medal, which was created by fellow pj's after Capa's death in action, is the most prestigious award in the profession. Not much reason to distrust either of those two.

As for Capa, as far as I know there is controversy over exactly one of his photos, i.e. the Falling Soldier, with a number of experts (including his main biographer) coming down on the side of its authenticity.

In any case, anyone who has worked with Jim Nachtwey can assure you that he is a man of the highest personal and professional integrity. This latest incident shows yet again his dedication to, as he would say, 'bearing witness'.

Well let's just point out that Nachtwey is the most acclaimed photojournalist of our age, and that the Capa Medal, which was created by fellow pj's after Capa's death in action, is the most prestigious award in the profession. Not much reason to distrust either of those two.

As for Capa, as far as I know there is controversy over exactly one of his photos, i.e. the Falling Soldier, with a number of experts (including his main biographer) coming down on the side of its authenticity.

In any case, anyone who has worked with Jim Nachtwey can assure you that he is a man of the highest personal and professional integrity. This latest incident shows yet again his dedication to, as he would say, 'bearing witness'.

Not just one of Capa's photos but the entire series of them have pretty much been proven to have been faked. (Google Capa Falling Soldier). The "official biographer" (aka "approved" biographer) stands pretty much alone except for the photographer's association that puts out the medal. Independent scholarship has been fairly conclusive. Capa faked photos, and he faked the most iconic photo of the Spanish Civil War, the Falling Soldier. Millions of readers and political policy were framed by this faked photo, which is why it is always wise to ask questions about what you are seeing here and today, in Bangkok. I'm not talking about Nachtwey, but there are a lot of photos out there of the past few days I'll bet we find were faked, photoshopped, or otherwise altered.

but there are a lot of photos out there of the past few days I'll bet we find were faked, photoshopped, or otherwise altered.

so far, neither you nor anybody else came with any prove.

implying that james has any political agenda is to dishonour him and other photojournalists on bkk streets documenting the madness of protestors