While we are at it..Top 3 TV Series

drx13

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many more, it seems a shame to cut off at 3!!

Limiting it to 3 is supposed to make one consider their choices carefully, instead of just firing off a long list of pretty good shows that are nowhere close to being anything special.

Yes, I get the point, it is a good idea. It certainly made me think and each one of my 3 are special to me for different reasons.

3. House of Cards, the original starring Ian Richardson. I have not seen the latest USA version starring Kevin Spacey yet.

Excellent series. In my opinion the US remake is actually better than the original.

• Like 1

The system posted before I was ready

The Sopranos

Band of Bros & The pacific

Breaking Bad

Deadwood

Rome

I, Claudius

Who can stop at three? Sorry.

Currently am enjoying House of Cards (USA version, concept "borrowed" from Brits); The Bridge (US version "borrowed" from Brits, who "borrowed" from Denmark); The Tunnel (First Cousin adaptation of The Bridge, excellent UK stuff); Orange is the New Black (what guy can resist Women in Prison!) Broadchurch (great UK mini series) .

True Detective (great weirdness currently on HBO); Suits (a guilty pleasure preposterous show about US corporate NYC lawyers); Elementary (US version of Sherlock Holmes, it's a toss-up between Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cummerbatch who is the 'best' Holmes, but Lucy Liu is definitely the hottest Watson); Low Winter Sun (rotten cops in rotting Detroit, what's not to like!)

Ray Donovan (Jon Voight as Mickey steals the show); The Borgias (Jeremy Irons will be officially canonized upon his death for his role as Pope Alexander Borgia); Justified (scripts inspired by Elmore Leonard, acting duel by Walton Goggins vs Timothy Olyphant); Person of Interest ('You are being watched...the Government has a System, a Machine...'); The Blacklist (I like this one just to see the elegant suits and hats worn by James Spader...who knew what a fine actor he could be?).

Honorable mention: Boardwalk Empire. However, I think this one has run its course, has run out of good ideas.

By the way DEPRECATING is correct, in the context above. (Don't have no dog in that dust-up!)

The Wire

I liked The Wire, but I LOVED the season with Omar - "Omar's coming". I did not think that the other seasons were as consistently great, although I really enjoyed them.

Yes, Omar was an all-time great character, as was Idris Elba's 'Springer Bell'. However, the season that really broke my heart was season two, featuring the dying stevadore/longshore union, and the "gentrification" of the Baltimore waterfront.

Kind of like asking who are the three most beautiful women/ handsomest guys in the world.

Too many great series. Just about all that have been mentioned I have enjoyed or am currently

enjoying. biggrin.png

Fawlty Towers. Only 12 episodes, but no attempt to "milk" it for all its worth. Maybe the test for this question should be: how many series would you sit through ten times and still have 100% pleasure (laugh, tension whatever turns yr crank)?

Good litmus test.

Of my 3, I have DVDs of all 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers in a box set.

I also have all 8 seasons of 24 on my media player's hard drive. (I also have the DVDs)

However, I'm stumped over The Two Ronnies - I have nothing of theirs. Oh, how I would love to add The 2 Rs to my media player's playlist ...

I haven't seen any of the American sitcoms so I can't comment on those and to be truthful I haven't heard of most of them.

My enjoyment lies in the English series -

All Creatures Great and Small

South Riding

To serve them all my days

New Tricks

Dad's Army

Foyle's War

The Sweeney

Minder

Inspector Morse

Some mother's do have 'em

The Good Life

Steptoe and Son

Black Adder........ to name just a few - there are just so many quality shows, could easily name 20. Quality PLUS.

And as an Aussie contribution - Mother & Son. Such a laugh.