Oh those Selfies on facebook...

catweazle08

So i got a few female thai-friends on facebook.

It seems like most of them post a picture of themselves (a selfie) maybe about 4 times a week.

These pictures look most of the time very similar, only slightly changing the angle or smth.

i think it´s quite annoying.

does anyone have an idea, why these selfies are being posted?

maybe your thai-girlfriend does the same and explained her need for posting these pictures to u? whistling.gif

Why is a shopping mall in Thailand Instagram’s most photographed place in 2013?

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2013/12/16/why-is-a-shopping-mall-in-thailand-instagrams-most-photographed-place-in-2013/#!ufS1h

This year, Siam Paragon. Last year Suvarnabhumi. Even beat Disneyland.

Would seem that Thailand is the most self obsessed and image obsessed country in the world.

Perhaps they prefer pictures of people, over places and things. Perhaps their friends like them and encourage them by commenting and hitting the like button.

Perhaps it is the socially expected thing to do if you want to have friends in this modern age. Guys exchange insults and girls exchange pictures, I know which I prefer.

I don’t see the problem with a modest number like 4 times a week.

• Like 2

yeh 4 times a week is pretty good considering, i agree. THats nothing really.

I think you are right too about prefering people to places etc. I recall when i was travelling around Thailand a bit often seeing car loads of Thai stopping at landmark spots, rushing out of the vehicle, having a photo taken, and then rushing back to the car. They didnt stay to look at the landmark or the scenery. Seemed like just a photo op for facebook. Personally i found it a bit sad to witness, but they were happy, so "up to them"!.

Ah. Selfies on facebook. Image is everything in Thailand. Physical appearance dominates daily life for Thais. Materialism plus shallowness is on the extreme in Thailand. There is a psychological and social explanations for this, but it's too extensive to write it down this moment.

This explains, in a nutshell, your questions, OP.

On a personal wit, I don't have a problem with it, I always enjoy the beautiful/sexy pics my female friends on FB posts. I can't say the same about the guys who do the same, seems gayish. Nothing wrong with being gay, but these guys are as straight as a candle, having GF and wives. I just delete these guys as friends, if they post too much selfies of themselves smile.png

Edited by Robininbkk
  • Like 2

comeon, they take pics of everything, at restaurants they take pics of their meals, they take pics of their drinks and when were on holiday there was one lady that would take a heap of selfies then change and take a heap more, this happened several times a day, these people have a real problem.

• Like 1

4 times a week..i find with some its four times or more a DAY!

This is me front side, this is me right side, this is me left side.

..the scary thing is, some guys do it too! But its mainly the girls.

Thailand is very image conscious and looks obsessed..so its not really surprising.

I read recently about Siam Paragon being the most photographed site on Istagram.

Beating historical monuments such as Angkor Wat or the Taj Mahal.

..not because Siam Paragon is being photographed, but because of the selfies and photos people have taken IN Siam Paragon.

Mind boggling really..

right!

I have thai friends who do take meaningless, boring repetitive pictures throught all the day. And the scary thing is, all the pictures are photoshoped, so they look whiter with a smoother and beautiful skin. Whats the point?!

• Like 1

I hope one day Facebook will allow users to post nude pics. Can't wait to see those selfies.

You will probably find that the reality wouldnt be quite as great as your imagination.

Clothes and underwear can change a great deal of things on a person.

Strip that away and you might not get what you bargained for.

Im a woman that appreciates raw natural beauty. Dressing up is nice, but im wary of those who seem too polished everyday.

Remove the fake lenses, false eyelashes, clip on hair, padded bras, padded hips and bums..and then lets see what the real deal is!

Anyway, as bender said, photoshop is overly used (and in the west too)..so chances are would still be slightly illusionary.

Im glad that when i wake up in the morning, i still look like who i was the day before.

Ah. Selfies on facebook. Image is everything in Thailand. Physical appearance dominates daily life for Thais. Materialism plus shallowness is on the extreme in Thailand. There is a psychological and social explanations for this, but it's too extensive to write it down this moment.

This explains, in a nutshell, your questions, OP.

I guess i go with this one above. makes sense.

and the article on thenextweb was also very interesting.

thx guys.

ps: time to take a selfie now with the victory-fingers... rolleyes.gif

Thailand is very image conscious and looks obsessed..so its not really surprising.

I read recently about Siam Paragon being the most photographed site on Istagram.

..not because Siam Paragon is being photographed, but because of the selfies and photos people have taken IN Siam Paragon.

Mind boggling really..

right!

I have thai friends who do take meaningless, boring repetitive pictures throught all the day. And the scary thing is, all the pictures are photoshoped, so they look whiter with a smoother and beautiful skin. Whats the point?!

The point is, they look whiter with a smoother and beautiful skin.

So i got a few female thai-friends on facebook.

It seems like most of them post a picture of themselves (a selfie) maybe about 4 times a week.

These pictures look most of the time very similar, only slightly changing the angle or smth.

i think it´s quite annoying.

does anyone have an idea, why these selfies are being posted?

maybe your thai-girlfriend does the same and explained her need for posting these pictures to u? whistling.gif

Quit dating pre-teen girls. Oh, wait, they ALL act like pre-teen girls here! Hello, kitty!

Mind boggling really..

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing...4 times a WEEK is slacking off, haha. But really, I'm friends with about 500 people on FB, maybe about 30% are Thai, 15% are Khmer, the rest "farang"...and I gotta say, every group is just as guilty of incessant selfies as the other. I would say it's more of an age thing; the people in their early-to-late-20s seem to do it the most (I guess teenagers do too, but my only teenaged FB friends are a few nieces!).