Overnighting in Singapore ...suggestions please

Sparkles

Thanks everyone for your imput,haven't been to Singapore for about 15 years so Changi Airport very new to me.

Best airport in the world and my choice of arrival airport when I visit SE Asia.

Oh yes I agree. After the hand carry baggage security screenin ON ARRIVAL (laptops and phones out, empty the pockets) just before the long-assed walk to Immigration and the 30 minute wait for 'priority' baggage and then the one-hour taxi rank conga line last Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely <deleted>' awesome airport.... NOT!!!

Wow; CNY I guess. I fly in and out of Changi at least once a month. Usually 30 minutes or less from the time the plane door opens till I am sitting in a taxi.

Thanks everyone for your imput,haven't been to Singapore for about 15 years so Changi Airport very new to me.

Best airport in the world and my choice of arrival airport when I visit SE Asia.

Oh yes I agree. After the hand carry baggage security screenin ON ARRIVAL (laptops and phones out, empty the pockets) just before the long-assed walk to Immigration and the 30 minute wait for 'priority' baggage and then the one-hour taxi rank conga line last Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely <deleted>' awesome airport.... NOT!!!

Wow; CNY I guess. I fly in and out of Changi at least once a month. Usually 30 minutes or less from the time the plane door opens till I am sitting in a taxi.

I am a wheelchair passenger. They deplane me after everyone else but my fastest was 10 minutes to the taxi door. including picking up my electric wheelchair and my luggage. Arrived from qantas and my wheelchair and luggage were in a small container allready at the carousel where others were waiting.

• 11 months later...

if you and your wife dont mind, you can sleep over in changi airport. they have chair beds, plenty of power points, wifi, shower rooms. and heck . . there is even a roof top jacuzi

Sweet J____! I may have to book a flight and stay a month.

Seriously? Charges for the shower and jacuzzi?

Any new suggestions on topic, re hotels in the city? I am forced to go there a few days this month, will take the girl and show her. Saw mention if the Ibis and took a look....over $300usd for two nights....lol. Much better deals to be had I am sure, but looking for recommendations on decent mid range hotels. I recall staying at The Strand last time I was there, but that was almost ten years ago...not sure what it's like now. Thanks

Any new suggestions on topic, re hotels in the city? I am forced to go there a few days this month, will take the girl and show her. Saw mention if the Ibis and took a look....over $300usd for two nights....lol. Much better deals to be had I am sure, but looking for recommendations on decent mid range hotels. I recall staying at The Strand last time I was there, but that was almost ten years ago...not sure what it's like now. Thanks

I think you may be in for a rude awakening. $150/night for a hotel is what you'll pay for the lower end of "mid-range" hotels in Singapore, the world's most expensive city. (When booking, be advised that most places advertise a price that does not include the 17% in taxes/service charges that are added on top of the room rate.)

Nice place to visit, not reasonably priced.

• Like 1

I think you may be in for a rude awakening. $150/night for a hotel is what you'll pay for the lower end of "mid-range" hotels in Singapore, the world's most expensive city. (When booking, be advised that most places advertise a price that does not include the 17% in taxes/service charges that are added on top of the room rate.)

Nice place to visit, not reasonably priced.

Thanks for the update...interesting. Maybe will look at the airport option mentioned here...lol. But seriously will have to find some room, just not my preferred destination for sure so hard to swallow spending so much money to be there..so back to booking.com to see what's there

Hotel prices in Singapore have increased markedly the past few years. If you want to pay less than $100 the main area to look at is Geylang. Hotel 81 and Fragrance hotel chains are where many backpackers stay if they want their own private room. Pretty basic but generally okay. Look at Lavender for 3-4 star hotels in the $150 range on promotion. Expect Singapore hotel rooms to be smaller than what you may have become used to in much of Asia.

• Like 1

Hotel prices in Singapore have increased markedly the past few years. If you want to pay less than $100 the main area to look at is Geylang. Hotel 81 and Fragrance hotel chains are where many backpackers stay if they want their own private room. Pretty basic but generally okay. Look at Lavender for 3-4 star hotels in the $150 range on promotion. Expect Singapore hotel rooms to be smaller than what you may have become used to in much of Asia.

Cheers thanks for that. I see about a dozen hotel 81s, was wondering if the cleanliness is good or not. Size for two nights not an issue, only a place to sleep, plan to be out all hours otherwise.

if you and your wife dont mind, you can sleep over in changi airport. they have chair beds, plenty of power points, wifi, shower rooms. and heck . . there is even a roof top jacuzi

Sweet J____! I may have to book a flight and stay a month.

Seriously? Charges for the shower and jacuzzi?

You an even do the free tour and still stay in transit. They pick you up airside and return you there.

Cheers thanks for that. I see about a dozen hotel 81s, was wondering if the cleanliness is good or not. Size for two nights not an issue, only a place to sleep, plan to be out all hours otherwise.

Hotel 81 and Fragrance can vary but Fragrance Emerald is ok. I stayed there a couple of months ago when I just needed a place for one night, ($50?) but better for travelling on your own than with a girlfriend. Geylang is known as a red light area but the girls on the street seem to have been cleared out now. SMRT is a 10-15 minute walk.

If you want something much nicer, then try a new hotel called Parc Sovereign Tyrwhitt in Lavender ($150?). Check out the booking sites but always compare with the hotel website in case they have a promotion. Lavender has a number of newer hotels in this price range, most are within ten minutes of Lavender SMRT. The famous Lavender food court is no more but there are plenty of other small food courts and a new supermarket close by.

I've stayed in dozens of Singapore hotels but if I was travelling with someone then I'd suggest $120+ is now the starting point for something better than basic. Bargains are really hard to find now because Singapore has a really high hotel occupancy rate. I stayed at a new hotel in Lavender when it opened three years ago for $90 a night in an upgraded room, same place now is nearly $200 for a standard room when I looked at staying there again last year.

Edited by kkerry

Hotel 81 and Fragrance can vary but Fragrance Emerald is ok. I stayed there a couple of months ago when I just needed a place for one night, ($50?) but better for travelling on your own than with a girlfriend. Geylang is known as a red light area but the girls on the street seem to have been cleared out now. SMRT is a 10-15 minute walk.

If you want something much nicer, then try a new hotel called Parc Sovereign Tyrwhitt in Lavender ($150?). Check out the booking sites but always compare with the hotel website in case they have a promotion. Lavender has a number of newer hotels in this price range, most are within ten minutes of Lavender SMRT. The famous Lavender food court is no more but there are plenty of other small food courts and a new supermarket close by.

I've stayed in dozens of Singapore hotels but if I was travelling with someone then I'd suggest $120+ is now the starting point for something better than basic. Bargains are really hard to find now because Singapore has a really high hotel occupancy rate. I stayed at a new hotel in Lavender when it opened three years ago for $90 a night in an upgraded room, same place now is nearly $200 for a standard room when I looked at staying there again last year.

Kkery thx for that, will get online and book something tomorrow, based on what oven man says below looks like will have to pay the freight for a room this time round.

Cheers

An important caveat - if you do decide to stay at the airport overnight - do NOT clear customs - all the facilities are on the departure side - if you leave cusoms - the check-in area is very sparse.

A few years back, I used to fly U.S. to Indonesia visa Singapore and had an overnight 6 hour layover. Staying overnight at the Changi airport is very comfortable - they have free wifi which is fast and reliable - they have amazing public lounges with nice, comfortable chairs.

The prices of hotels in Singapore over the last 5 years have increased meteorically - so depending on the time of your layover - staying inside the departure area overnight is a viable option.