90 Day Report Headache!

Okay, I have a small problem. My 90 day report was due on Jan. 30. My company went to immigration today. Apparently, I forgot to sign the stupid form, so they won't process it. I know I have 7 days to do it after the due date, so I still have a couple of days. I have a few questions:

• When is the last day I can do it? I think I have until Thursday, February 6, 2014. Is that correct?
  • Is Chaeng Wattana open yet? If it is, I have no problem because I work near Kasetsart University in the evening, so I can drop by there in between jobs. That would be the easiest solution and solve my problems!
  • I have the day off on Friday because my driver's license expires on Saturday, February 8. The Dept. of Land Transport isn't open on Saturdays, so I took a personal day off to take care of it on Friday. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to change that day to Thursday because the paperwork has already been submitted. We all know how much fun HR Departments can be about their paperwork!
  • If I must go to Imperial World on Lad Prao Road, how far is this from Vipawadi-Rangsit Road (because that is the road I travel on to get to work after I get off the expressway)?
  • If I go and do it on Friday, February 7, how much would the fine be? It would be one day beyond the grace period provided. Is that 500? Or, would I be nailed for 2,000?

Yes, I have a headache! I appreciate any advice and answers you can provide.

Cheers!

Fine for late reporting is 2,000 baht.

You can check maps google for distance - it is just beyond the Ram Intra expressway intersection on Latphao Road. Normal entry would be at Central Lat Phao shopping center if from Vipawadi-Rangsit Road.

I can go tomorrow if I must, but it is really difficult to do so. Does anyone know when they begin counting the 7 days? Do they count the first day (Jan 30 in my example) as Day 1?

As far as directions go, I think it would be best to take the Ram Inthra Expressway from my home in the On Nut area instead of my normal route through Din Daeng. Then, I can get off at the Lad Prao exit and head westbound on Lad Prao. It would appear that I can get there from Lad Prao Sois 81 or 83. Is that correct?

They are open until 18:30 if that helps.

How they count it can depend upon the immigration officer doing the count.

Permits to stay start on the day of entry and it is the same when counting 90 days for reports/

Having lived here for a number of years and seeing how things work, I am just going to assume they begin counting on Jan. 30. Therefore, tomorrow would be Day 7 almost certainly will be tomorrow in my case. If circumstances were normal, I would ask my wife to go on my behalf. However, we have a 10 month old child at home which makes things a bit more difficult. Furthermore, she cannot drive, and we aren't the biggest fans of putting him a random taxi if we have the choice. That's going to leave it up to me.

I have a small window of time to get it done. I finish work in Klong Toey at 2:10 pm. Then, I begin work in Bang Khen at 5:30 pm. I normally take my motorbike to work. Then, I drive it home to swap it for the car. I live at On Nut, so the Ram Inthra expressway seems like it would be the most logical choice. On the motorbike, I can make it home in 20 minutes. The car can take up to an hour for the same journey depending on the Rama IV / Sukhumvit intersection. Getting home always takes longer than getting to work.

I don't know how efficient the set-up is at this temporary office, but I know it would be fine at Chaeng Wattana. I wish they would open tomorrow! Then, all of my problems would be solved.

Do you think I will have enough time to get it sorted out?

Alternatively, I have a break from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. I could make the trip by MRT during that break if the timing works out better. Then, I wouldn't have the worry of Lad Prao traffic, parking, etc.

How far is Imperial World from the MRT? Which station is closest? The map is pretty deceptive. It makes Bang Kapi appear next to Chok Chai 4 ...

OP, you stated that your driver's license expires on Saturday February 8th.

I thought your drivers license had to be expired before you were able to renew it, I could be mistaken but if so you would not be able to renew in on Friday February 7th, if that is what you are saying. Also if I am wrong someone please correct me but I have seen this stated here previously on other threads.

There have been reports from members that took a bus from the MRT station to imperial world.

Lots of buses, ... #s

Hope the links carry over when I post...

Taxi should not be too expensive either.

Source: http://www.transitbangkok.com/bangkok_bus_stop_BTS_MRT_Khlong_Chao_Phraya_Express.html

I thought your drivers license had to be expired before you were able to renew it, I could be mistaken but if so you would not be able to renew in on Friday February 7th, if that is what you are saying. Also if I am wrong someone please correct me but I have seen this stated here previously on other threads.

I have read that on several forums (including this one), but my experience is proving to be difficult. When I was in this situation for my motorbike license, I went on the actual day it expired. This is not an option this time because my license will expire on a Saturday. It doesn't make much sense to drive around with an expired license. I am not sure what the law is here about this, but it is most certainly illegal in my home country. In fact, it would invalidate your insurance. I don't think the police would look upon it too favorably. Well, they might enjoy it, as it means they might get a little extra cash in their pockets. I don't want to find out what would happen if I were involved in an accident of some kind.

So, I had my wife call them to speak in Thai and make sure everything was clear, She called today and was clear about the fact that she was talking about the requirements for a foreigner. They said that one can apply up to 60 days before the license expires. They said to bring the usual documents:

• Copy of Passport and Relevant Visa Page
  • Copy of Arrival Card
  • Copy of Work Permit and Relevant Pages
  • Copy of Old License
  • Medical Certificate

They stated I will only have to do the reaction and color tests. They are not difficult, but the waiting time can be significant.

I am sure this information can vary from branch to branch in different locations. She called the one I intend to go to tomorrow and noted the name of the person she spoke with. I will go to the branch located near Sukhumvit 97 or so. That information is valid as of today from someone at that office regarding the process and requirements for foreigners renewing a one-year temporary licence to a 5 year license.

They also noted that the validity of the license issued will depend on the type of visa held by the applicant. In my case, a non-immigrant 'b' will get me a 5 year license upon renewal.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have read that on several forums (including this one), but my experience is proving to be difficult. When I was in this situation for my motorbike license, I went on the actual day it expired. This is not an option this time because my license will expire on a Saturday. It doesn't make much sense to drive around with an expired license. I am not sure what the law is here about this, but it is most certainly illegal in my home country. In fact, it would invalidate your insurance. I don't think the police would look upon it too favorably. Well, they might enjoy it, as it means they might get a little extra cash in their pockets. I don't want to find out what would happen if I were involved in an accident of some kind.

So, I had my wife call them to speak in Thai and make sure everything was clear, She called today and was clear about the fact that she was talking about the requirements for a foreigner. They said that one can apply up to 60 days before the license expires. They said to bring the usual documents:

• Copy of Arrival Card
  • Copy of Old License
  • Medical Certificate

They stated I will only have to do the reaction and color tests. They are not difficult, but the waiting time can be significant.

I am sure this information can vary from branch to branch in different locations. She called the one I intend to go to tomorrow and noted the name of the person she spoke with. I will go to the branch located near Sukhumvit 97 or so. That information is valid as of today from someone at that office regarding the process and requirements for foreigners renewing a one-year temporary licence to a 5 year license.

They also noted that the validity of the license issued will depend on the type of visa held by the applicant. In my case, a non-immigrant 'b' will get me a 5 year license upon renewal.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information as I am in the same boat as you this year, meaning I will use the Sukhumvit 97 branch and renewing my one year temporary to a five year also. The only document I did not see on your list which I expected to be there is " Proof of Residence Document", that was required for the one year temp license. If you wouldn't mind please message me or post here if it is required or not when you go. If it is not needed this time what would help me out a lot when I renew. Thanks and let me say I always thought it was an odd requirement for the license to be expired previous to renewing also but as I said that is what I had read in other threads. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you. Also please excuse me for getting a little off topic on your post but I was only trying to help.

Bob

Thanks for the information as I am in the same boat as you this year, meaning I will use the Sukhumvit 97 branch and renewing my one year temporary to a five year also. The only document I did not see on your list which I expected to be there is " Proof of Residence Document", that was required for the one year temp license. If you wouldn't mind please message me or post here if it is required or not when you go. If it is not needed this time what would help me out a lot when I renew. Thanks and let me say I always thought it was an odd requirement for the license to be expired previous to renewing also but as I said that is what I had read in other threads. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you. Also please excuse me for getting a little off topic on your post but I was only trying to help.

Bob

No worries! The reason the "Proof of Residence" is not required in my case is because I have a Work Permit. The Work Permit substitutes for this document, so it isn't required. You need one or the other.

• Like 1

Just returned from doing my 90-day report at Imperial World... Was a bit confusing as new for me and quite a long line to get my queue ticket but not bad (just longer than I was used to)... Once I had the ticket, it said 81 waiting (I was #82) but the counters were past 40 in the waiting room. It went quickly, efficiently, just crowded... The location is good for me, the staff were friendly, and it was efficient.

Re the buses question, I took a number 92 non-air (first one that came along) and live about 1 km from the Ladphrao MRT (in direction of this office)... it took about 15-20 minutes to get there, traffic generally is not bad in the morning around 10.

Grace

Now that I have some more time on my hands, I thought I would update the thread with the outcome of the story. In the end, I decided that caution was the way forward. After asking several Thai people about routing, traffic conditions, and general inquiries associated with the journey to Imperial World, I actually found myself more confused than I was prior to asking the questions in the fist place. I dismissed all of their ideas, as I wasn't sure which specific person to believe and the information was conflicting from person to person. I decided to go with my gut feeling.

My gut feeling told me that I should attempt to make it there on my own by motorbike. This way, I eliminated many of the obstacles associated with time. I figured that I should go at 9:30, as I had 3 hours until I needed to return to work. I figured that if I ran into any difficulties in the morning, I could make a second attempt in the afternoon on the way to work with the knowledge I may have learned from making a mistake or two on my first attempt. What follows are the details of my trip. I hope they help someone; although, the event was pretty unremarkable and straightforward rather than wrought with problems as I expected!

I headed north on Ratchadapisek from the intersection in Klong Toey. I didn't realize that the roadblock was still in place at Asoke, so, I had to turn left onto Sukhumvit Road and then basically drive around Terminal 21 in order to bypass the main intersection. I couldn't see a very good reason for the intersection to be closed, as there were very few protestors around. Nonetheless, I made my way back to Asoke-Montri and followed it north to the Lad Phrao junction. I know I could have taken a shorter route on some of the back sois there, but I haven't been back there in a while. I was on a schedule, so getting lost or getting a flat tire could have had consequences that I didn't want to deal with. I turned right onto Lad Phrao to find it the usual parking lot that it is. Thankfully, a motorbike can zip through that nonsense pretty quickly in most cases. I knew I was close when I drove under the expressway, so I began to actually look for Big C. Having seen it many times, I had a loose idea of where it was anyway. I turned left at the soi just before the building and found the motorbike taxi stand. Next to it, there was an unattended area that was chained off that people were using as a makeshift motorbike parking loi. It seemed safe, so I parked there.

Entering the building, I was less than impressed. It felt old and dirty, very much unlike most of the shopping centers I am used to frequenting in Bangkok. Most things were closed, and there was little foot traffic. It was only 10:20 am. I quickly located the elevator and got myself to the 5th floor. The place was jam-packed full of people. Most of the people present were from neighboring countries. Some of them did not look too pleased to be there. There were entire large groups of them sitting outside in the mall area who were often being moved around, asked to create new lines, and asked to do all kinds of things that didn't make much sense to the casual observer walking by.

Inside, I was directed around the corner to get a queue number. A university girl took my paperwork and checked off the various parts of the form after verifying the details. She handed it back with a number and asked me to wait. I must say that her English was very good. It was a much different experience than those I have had at Chaeng Wattana where spoken English is seemingly quite rare! Despite just opening, I was number 62. I waited for approximately 40 minutes. They were operating 3 windows for 90 day reporting.

When I got to the counter, she immediately grabbed the calender and started counting the days. She double checked my slip and counted the days a second time before giving me another glance. I didn't want to ask her about the rule regarding 7 days because she wasn't friendly at all! It felt like I would be pressing my like. The scrutiny she gave the simple affair of counting leads me to believe they must begin the counting on the first day. That means that I believe 30 January was counted in my case. I would have probably been fined if I had waited until tomorrow to do the report. She finished her computer work, handed me a new slip and said "lip loy" before looking down. She didn't say goodbye, and she certainly wasn't interested in hearing one.

Traffic going back was considerably worse. Approaching Asoke, I opted to turn right on Petchaburi. I proceeded to take Sukhumvit Soi 3 to Sukhumvit where I turned right. I then took the frontage road along the expressway. As time was running short, I needed to get back to Rama 4 quickly; otherwise, I would have gone through the tobacco monopoly. I made it back to work at 12:25 ... just in time for a quick smoke before getting back to work.

So, that's how my trip ended up. I don't like Imperial World for either the location or the pleasantry of the place. It was old, dark, and dirty. Most people I encountered were miserable or appeared to be that way. I will be happy when CW reopens. I would be even happier if they would just reopen Suan Plu. While it was dirty and cramped, people were friendlier and the location made up for anything it may have been lacking. While it will never open again, we can dream, right?

Tomorrow, I have the joy of dealing with the Department of Land Transport! That will be another fun filled day!!!

• Like 2

• Copy of Arrival Card
  • Copy of Old License
  • Medical Certificate

I hope this helps.

If you renew your licence before it expire's you will get a 1 year licence. Also note most visa's are only valid for 1 year so most people get a 5 year licence after 1st year expires. You can re new it after it expires even 1 day after and you will get a 5 year licence. Don't forget your wife spoke in Thai and as always the case Thai talk Thai what did you say?

The information posted above is not correct. I am currently sitting at the department of land transportation. My drivers license for my car is set to expire tomorrow February 8, 2014. Clearly, today is February 7, 2014.post-44509-13917427225051_thumb.jpg

The picture clearly shows that my renewal for a private automobile license is going to be for five years. It also clearly shows the date. Furthermore, I confirmed this information at the counter when speaking with them and submitting my documents for approval. On the telephone, they said this was standard practice and you can apply up to 60 days before expiration.

They said the length of the new license is dependent upon the type of that you currently hold. For example, people holding a tourist visa will only be granted one year no matter what their circumstances. In my case, I hold a nonimmigrant B visa. Therefore, I am scheduled to be granted 5 years.

• Like 2

@OP, I think you were there same time as me... I was number 82 yesterday and they were around #40 when I got in the room... The guy at the counter was friendly, just commented "Ohhh it's easy for you here because you live close".... Good luck today...

• 1 month later...

similar story about 90 day report. fell off m/c and broke hip. can't walk but still mailed the form in to chaeng wattana just in time i think, but have received no reply. now it's almost time to send it in again. the problem is that i don't have the receipt from the last one and the chang wattana phone number says go to these other places which i saw here they don't accept mailed reports. i still can't walk yet so can't really go there even if i knew where these places are. pain killers seem to fog my mind some. wife said she saw on the news that we could ignore the 90 day report but i don't trust that.. any suggestions? should i make my trip to cambodia a little earlier than i had planned?

bruce in taling chan

please excuse my lack of understanding on how to use this forum. i will learn eventually

Edited by brucestrachan

You don't need to do the 90 day report personally. You can send somebody, anybody, to do it for you. You just need to fill out the form which you can easily download and print. In my case, I forgot to sign it before I gave it to the person doing it for me, so make sure you fill in every small detail. Most certainly, DO NOT forget to sign it. Then, send it to immigration with your wife or a close friend you trust to get it done for you. That's an easy one to solve!

As said you can have somebody do the report for you. But not sure they will accept it since you don't have the receipt for the last one.

The rules state you should contact immigration if you have not gotten the receipt back in 30 days.

You could try having somebody do it for you. But they would need a print out of tracking to show it was received by immigration and receipt from post office also.

It would help if you could get a letter from your doctor stating you cannot travel to imigration.

Info on locations of temporary offices here: mmigration services at Cheang Wattana now suspended

smilepur

clearly good advice but doesn't address the problem of not having a receipt for the last report. still have the ems receipt from the post office. but if the letter went to chaeng wattana they likely won't have it so won't be able to give me a valid receipt for january which will delay if not eliminate my getting a receipt for april.

bruce,taling cahn

I mailed my 90 day report on March 3rd, and it was received at LAK SI on the 7th and sent to Lat Phrao and received there on the 10th or shortly there after. Just for your information.

Help | Contact Us
arrow.gif

DATETIME Scan Location Description Delivery Status March 3, 2014
09:31:26 KHLONG TOEI Accept March 4, 2014
08:10:50 LAK SI Out for Delivery March 7, 2014
09:00-11:59 LAK SI Delivery Status Successful Recipient Name March 10, 2014
08:18:12 LAT PHRAO Out for Delivery March 10, 2014
09:00-11:59 LAT PHRAO Delivery Status Successful Recipient Name

Edited by BobTH

My report was mailed January 2 and received on the 3rd but no receipt ever received so end of last month filled reported to Lat Phao with copy of original TM,47 and print out of receipt. They wanted the original EMS mailing receipt (was holding that in reserve as not done at post office but by mail shop) but when that was provided they put items together for me to make a new report on that day. No fine and 90 days from that report rather than original January due date.