Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

Are you all 100 % certain that he is a foreigner seems strange for him to be a former President of a Thai- Indian Chamber of Commerce?

I would have thought that he was born here like the Thai Chinese he is Thai Indian.

We need some real clarification here

Why so strange. The president of a foreign chamber usually hails from that country. Hence the pres if the Australia Thai chamber is usually an Australian.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to deporting "troublesome" foreigners, Thailand is hardly at the forefront.

"Isa Muazu's removal from the UK and potential death on a flight or upon arrival in Nigeria is not only a tragedy but an end to the UK's reputation as a country with humane, civilised, just policies and government," he said.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/11/29/man-arrested-as-supporters-try-to-prevent-isa-muazu-deportat

'I would rather die here than go back to Iran and be killed': Iranian asylum seekers sew their mouths together and go on hunger strike in deportation protest

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380219/Iranian-asylum-seekers-sew-mouths-deportation-protest.html#ixzz2sLRJjav3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Don't send me to racist Australia, says activist who disrupted 2012 Boat Race as he wins fight against deportation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521070/Activist-Trenton-Oldfield-disrupted-2012-Boat-Race-wins-fight-deportation.html

• Like 1

If true it will be a great boost for Thai India trade relations... Not

Go Chalerm both feet in the mouth again.

Hum... Everyone complains against corruption, then because someone influential broken a law, government should close an eye? Double standard ok for something not ok for something else? facepalm.gif

Broken what law?

From another papers reports. He talked about his love for the King and his dislike of the rampant corruption.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True indeed.

I have a feeling that if he hasn't actually I called for the overthrow of the sitting government he hasn't broken any laws.

By this measure, I would think that someone commenting on here to bring down Yingluck, or someone writing to the Bangkok Post supporting Suthep is breaking the law.

I would expect him to fight this tooth and nail, and he might win. Strike 2 for thailand really looking even more stupid.

PDRC
Thai-Indian senior businessman to be deported for joining rally

30226025-01_big.jpg
File photo

BANGKOK: -- A Thai-Indian business tycoon, Sathit Segal, a core member of the anti-government protests, is to be deported for defying the state of emergency, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) said Tuesday.

The centre already ordered the Immigration Department and police to commence the procedures to deport Sathit.

Sathit, an ethnic Indian, has publicly and openly criticised the Yingluck government on a People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC( stage. The chairman of the ThaiIndian business association, he led protesters in Bangkok's business district.

On January 22, The caretaker government put Bangkok and part of its suburbs under a state of emergency that is to run two months. Earlier reports said Sathit and four others nonThai citizens faced deportation due to their active roles in the protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-04

Good, send the Thaksin hating looney home.

It's a message to the Thaksin hating foreigners in general. If you don't like democracy or just don't understand it, you are not welcome here. Move to Burma or North Korea, anywhere... just get out of Thailand.

Did you read the article posted or did you have problems with the long words... like ..corruption!

he actually has worked as an advisor to government ministry's in his time!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Various provincial immigration police agencies issued warnings to foreigners that they could be deported, or their extensions of stay canceled, should they engage in protest activity.

Hopefully, this gentleman has the means to contest the constitutionality of such an order of the immigration police in court. The only basis for such an order is the following language found in the Immigration Act BE 2552, Section 12, Aliens falling into these categories may be excluded from the Kingdom

7. Having behavior which would indicate possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

A court would probably find the immigration act's language is overbroad and ambiguous and could not support the immigration police orders that were issued. Simply being found in a protest area could be used to deport someone, and that wouldn't be supported by the underlying purpose of the immigration act.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

well so much for democracy.

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

their money of course. (pun intended) bah.gif

Being deported because having joined to political protest is a normal measure adopted from almost every westerner country as well. After stay for a while in jail... So I see not much to complain against Thailand or PTP here.

Are you after Chalerm's job? Absolute twaddle!

As a foreigner resident in another democratic country I occasionally join protests, discuss political and social issues and generally try to involve myself with the issues that effect society in the country where I live, work and pay taxes. That is what being part of the democratic process is about, not just voting, which is a right often refused to resident foreigners.

If Satish Sehgal has broken laws then of course he should be prosecuted and, perhaps, deported. But he appears to have proven his commitment to Thailand and it's people over a very long period.

This just yet again illustrates Chalerm's bullish stupidity and vindictivness.

• Like 1

well so much for democracy.

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

their money of course. (pun intended) bah.gif

Being deported because having joined to political protest is a normal measure adopted from almost every westerner country as well. After stay for a while in jail... So I see not much to complain against Thailand or PTP here.

Are you after Chalerm's job? Absolute twaddle!

As a foreigner resident in another democratic country I occasionally join protests, discuss political and social issues and generally try to involve myself with the issues that effect society in the country where I live, work and pay taxes. That is what being part of the democratic process is about, not just voting, which is a right often refused to resident foreigners.

If Satish Sehgal has broken laws then of course he should be prosecuted and, perhaps, deported. But he appears to have proven his commitment to Thailand and it's people over a very long period.

This just yet again illustrates Chalerm's bullish stupidity and vindictivness.

I will not comment your first sentence because I respect you, differently from you.

As a foreigner resident in a democratic country I feel I have enough chances to discuss and express my points of view in Thailand.

But if in December police said: "Foreigners who joined protests could face deportation", I will be smart and avoid to do something police told to not do. Or you want to do anyway? Well, then if you will be deported, it's your business. You went against Police orders.

If you need to reply to my posts from now on, please avoid insults. Because I never had the chance to meet you, have a coffee or a lunch with you. I would never insult you, please use the same courtesy.

While I basically agree that a foreigner should not become actively involved in local politics, I don't know to what extend and how this man has been involved.

Was he joining protest marches, held speeches on PDRC stages, occupied government offices, obstructed voting? I believe not and would assume that he merely supported PDRC verbally. And if that is reason enough for the current caretaker government to deport him, then I really must say that it is an entirely unjustified move and that it will come to bite PTP.

They shouldn't underestimate the powerful Indian business community here in Thailand, and I am talking about "Indian-Thai citizens".

As usual, PTP has once again shown that they act first and think later (if they ever think, that is, and don't just leave the thinking part to... well, you know who).

From some other news reports last month it seems he was making regular speeches on the Silom protest stage and touring around on the speaker truck.

I don't understand why any of us foreigners are taking a side in this issue - there's plus and minus points on both sides so I'm surprised at the passion shown in the on-line debates that flare up on TV.

My Thai friends are also divided on the issue - so I 'm careful to not appear to take sides in the office.

But I do walk around the 'picnic' at Central World and I have to go via Asoke to get home - but without a whistle!

Good, send the Thaksin hating looney home.

It's a message to the Thaksin hating foreigners in general. If you don't like democracy or just don't understand it, you are not welcome here. Move to Burma or North Korea, anywhere... just get out of Thailand.

If someone hates Taksin then that makes them a looney ?

You are clearly the looney here, I recommend you should seek a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

We all know you really want to be Taksin's dog so why don't you go to Dubai and leave the rest of us to have more intelligent conversation ?

Right, NO foreigner have a right to go for protest, this is a Native Thai Nation issue and Business. That what I exactly hate in my country or back in Europe,foreigners come to our country's and going on the street to tell us what we should do and what there rights. <deleted> you all,if you don't like the country you visit then leave it !!!!!!

Really?

Many groups, including neo Nazis, the extreme left, the press and some others claim they are entitled to say exactly what they want because it`s freedom of speech. So we could say that the Indian guy is only exercising his right to free speech under a democratic system, whether he be a foreigner or not.

Do you believe that foreigners living in a foreign land should be excluded under the rights of free speech and expression and considered enemies of the state, even if their support for one group or another is peaceful?

The difference between most Western countries and Thailand is that in the West these countries are true democracies and even though Thailand under the Shinawatra regime tries to portray it`s self as a democracy, this is only so in the loosest sense.

You’re either for a true democracy that allows free speech for everyone without exceptions or you’re not. There are no easy answers to the rights and wrongs of this.

Do you think if protests drag for months in your country (not sure where are you from anyway) and disrupt other citizen activities, a foreigner caught protesting would have been let free to disrupt YOUR country? No... I don't think so.

Someone mistakes freedom of speech, with freedom to do what the h_ell they want, that is not exactly the same thing.

As I said, it`s a difficult question to answer, it all depends on your opinion. If foreigners were to be completely excluded from political affairs in my countries they would more likely be considered as fascist states.

I am half English and half American, and in my countries there is no way that this farce would have been allowed to continue for so long anyway.

Could you imagine anti Government protesters marching on the White House or no 10 Downing Street? Or trying to shut down Washington or London? Believe me it will never happen or if it did, they wouldn’t get far because the protestors would be considered as a national threat, whether they be foreigners or nationals of those countries.

I live in Thailand and abide by it`s laws, always have, always will, but it doesn’t mean to say that in my mind I consider any of those in power or the protesters to have any credibility and I am sure many Thais feel the same way too.

And this is one big reason why I do not take one side or the other and the same should apply to all foreigners living in Thailand, taking into consideration that we have no statutory rights here anyway, so why become involved in this farce?

In the end it`s all down to common sense and thinking, may the best man win.

• Like 1

What about all the Thai/Chinese who were protesting?

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

The report says he's Thai-Indian. I suspect that means he was born in Thailand (Thai citizen) with Indian heritage. If correct how can he called a foreigner?

So what about all the leuk krung childen born in Thailand (Thai citizens) with English. Italian, German, Swiss, etc etc heritage?

I didn't read the article... (possible to get the link anywhere?), but the title states "Thai-Indian". If he has double citizen-ship (which is possible in opposite what everybody says), is it possible to be deported????

Edited by Amir

????

If you go to a foreign country, you are a guest of the government.

Protest against that government and you are a problem that needs sorting.

Before the EU it was the same there.

If you lived in China or North Korea, would you join a protest march?

I really don't understand your problem. There are many countries in the world, including your own.

When will people, like you, understand one very basic thing, YOU ARE NOT A GUEST, you are a visitor.. guest by definition means you were "invited", show me your invitation.

• Like 1

I didn't read the article... but the title states "Thai-Indian". If he has double citizen-ship (which is possible in opposite what everybody says), is it possible to be deported????

As far as I know, he's been living almost his entire life in Thailand but never applied for nationality

Well, this is a huge mistake. The last guy that started throwing Indians out of his country was Idi Amin and look what happened to Uganda when the Indians left enmasse. Although the Chinese are to Thailand what the Indians are to the UK - the hard core working/retailing backbone, make no mistake of how powerful the Indian lobby is here. Mr Segal is not your run of the mill corner shop owner. He is a wealthy and powerful guy in his own right. Not only President of the Thai-Indian chamber of commerce but an elected committee member of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the city does not get much more HiSo than that. I think he can count on more than a little bit of support from the Indian business community (just as a taster, the Gold and Diamond business in Thailand would grind to a halt without them) and others of a more influential Thai national background.

Good luck PTP, and Chalerm who hates foreigners, boy we he have a lot of ass licking to do when ASEAN unfolds next year.

"Well, this is a huge mistake. The last guy that started throwing Indians out of his country was Idi Amin"

Well apart from Singapore that is

Singapore to deport 53 foreign workers over riot

The men facing deportation consisted of 52 Indian nationals and one Bangladeshi national, Police Commissioner Ng Joo Hee said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25426243

Sorry, do the rules not count if you're a HISo member of the Community, the Royal Bangkok Sports Club no less, woohoo.

Oh, hang on what am I saying whistling.gif .

• Like 1