Cross malyaisa/thai border by train

Hi there---I am 43 and in the USA Early next year I may hop a freighter to Malyasia I think all I need is my passport no visa. What is required when I jump ship? Do I Immediately check in with the port? Do I need an exit stamp from the train station or the port to enter Thailand? How do they treat American tourists these days in Malyasia and Singapore? Any dangers? I read stay away from the coast. When I cross the border do I need to show my passport and Thai visa to someone at the first stop? Are there imagration personal at the train stations? Is train a good/comfortable/cheep way to go? Does anyone know a good internet site where I can get railway prices and destinations? What is the best country and easy/safe way to make a visa run from Bangkok area and phuket? Hope a few people can help me with these questions.

Things change so fast ....your queries are a year out....too premature.  You will need an arrival in Malaysia stamp to be able to get out legally.   Get visa's in USA before you arrive  or you will be endlessly border hopping. Be aware that there are severe penalties for entering illegally ( including caning )