Minimum Age That Thai Can Own Land

I just recently tried to have my house in buri ram transferred into my daughter name as my wife died.

Went to the land office with my attorney and they flatly stated that she had to be 20 years old. As usual Thai's are very quick to take advantage of situations and my farther in law transferred it into his name.

I don't know where all these people are coming from stating that property can be in a thai name at any age.

A new twist to this tale. So which one is it, can it be done or not?

Have anybody actually successfully done it?

our 2 children have had property in their name since they were a few months old so its total bs but maybe in case of death it would depend on will

i also recently transferred 2 condos into our minor kids name which i owned and my wife transferred some land to them also both are still minors

we have a lot of land and property far more than we will ever need or want and its theirs for university whatever when they reach 20

land and houses and condos here are very cheap or ones we have are and even now with higher prices a reasonable house can be built for 10-14k gbp and small condos in thai blocks go for 200-700k baht

Only problem with the property for university deal is that they go to University at 18 and they cannot sell the land or borrow on it without court aproval and this is rarely given.

I just recently tried to have my house in buri ram transferred into my daughter name as my wife died.

Went to the land office with my attorney and they flatly stated that she had to be 20 years old. As usual Thai's are very quick to take advantage of situations and my farther in law transferred it into his name.

I don't know where all these people are coming from stating that property can be in a thai name at any age.

Just read the law or ask the land office to point out where the law states that a minor cannot own land. They will not be able to do that.

I've had dealings with a land office official where the fact (under Thai law) that she was incorrect was pointed out to her by three separate people, one of whom was an official at another land office.

All to no avail.

She stuck to her guns and refused point blank to change her mind.

Just read the law or ask the land office to point out where the law states that a minor cannot own land. They will not be able to do that.

I've had dealings with a land office official where the fact (under Thai law) that she was incorrect was pointed out to her by three separate people, one of whom was an official at another land office.

All to no avail.

Take them to court for abrogation of duty then. Time these petty people faced up to responsibility.

All to no avail.

Take them to court for abrogation of duty then. Time these petty people faced up to responsibility.

Ok then, I'll get right on that. Because the courts are so fair and unbiased, I'm sure it will end well for me.

We are doing the same and the house will belong to our 5 year old son. This is for his security in life, not as a means of me holding land. Have no intention of selling it.

We buying small house in BKK, near Airport link, with eye on his future maybe at Uni etc.

We don't want to live in it though at the moment.

How do we go on renting it? Do we need lease through land dept in his name etc?

We are doing the same and the house will belong to our 5 year old son. This is for his security in life, not as a means of me holding land. Have no intention of selling it.

We buying small house in BKK, near Airport link, with eye on his future maybe at Uni etc.

We don't want to live in it though at the moment.

How do we go on renting it? Do we need lease through land dept in his name etc?

You will only be able to rent short term. The lands department cannot register a lease on land owned by a minor. Less than 3 years only.

• 5 months later...

Interesting subject that i can share here my own experience.

I live in Thailand very long time now (23 years) and it happened to me that i purchased some properties (land and houses). As foreigner, i followed advises that time from several lawyers and resident to setup a limited company to purchase and own the properties. I don't want discuss here the positive and negative to have done it in such way. At the same time, I have a son who is now 15 years old from a Thai wife. We are now divorced for 10 years now and my son who has Thai birth certificate, both Thai and foreign passpport and also Thai ID card now lives with me.

Since my son was born, my only worry about those properties was not to lose them as they are actually own by a limited company but to find a solution and ensure that in case of something happen to me, the properties will go to my son.

I investigated through several lawyer how to change the tittle deed to the name of my son but they were all telling that he must wait 20 years old to own a property. Finally, few months ago, a lawyer confirmed me that there are no minimum age for a Thai to own a property but only that both parent must approve it. All was confirmed by the land department. Process has been completed and my son is now the owner of the properties. The limited company is in process to be shut down. Of course, profit taxes will be apply to the limited company who sold but i will pay it. In conclusion: I have done that to cheat anything just to make sure that what I got by working hard will go to my son if something wrong would happen one day.

I find your experience very helpful & useful, thanks! Quite relevant to the most of the situation I am involved at the moment. I live here with Thai wife with two Thai daughters over 8 years with a house via company. Some burdens are occurred with company paperwork/correspondences/times, etc so we, "separated on good term", agree to figure out how to dissolve it. Thai wife went to Land office recently as the result of that they say Thai wife can not used for deeds because she is the manager of the company & Thai daughter aged 7 can not be used till she must be at age of 20. Obviously I know this is not accurate or the misunderstanding must have occurred. Is your process completed successfully based on your lawyer? Did they charge you for the small fee percentage of your property? Also how is your status of your dissolved company at the moment? Is Provincial Business Development office the correct dept to deal with that? We believe child education should be the priority instead of the company & hope you don't mind us to follow your success.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

if i will buy 9 Rai for my 1 year old son, does the land office in our area, province or in bangkok investigate the origin of the money?

his mother is my girlfriend we stay together but not married.

my name is written in Tabien Baan , his birthday cirtificate as father ,and i am getting soon fathership in provincial court. his last name is from his mother.

i am asking because i red that thai wifes must prove that properity/Land are bought with there own money, not from farang husband.

thank you for help because this cause me headache to find a way to secure properity and life. it is bad feeling to be discriminated by law. knowing and respecting that the thai law protecting thai people and that thai law indeed better than eu/us/western laws which protecting hedge founds, banksters and 1% elite to increase there profits.

best wishes for all falangs

kalle

• 3 years later...

My situation is similar , i am going to divorce from my Thai wife and have a 5 years old daughter ,after i divorce, her custody will be transferred to my wife , i am planning to buy a few Rai land and make home for my daughter name within 2 years, as far as i learnt if i make special agreement , the usage of the land will belong to me until i die, after that, she can can do the land whatever she wants, so far everything seems to be ok , but my doubt is that after i buy the land if my wife (will be ex-wife) learn about the land ,i want to know whether she can sell the land cause of being guardian of my daughter or not ,on the other hands, although the agreement about usage of land after my daughter is 20 years old , can she sell it and can she leave me out ? is there anyone who knows details about this kind of agreement.

Thanks    

• 4 weeks later...