Born before July 2006 - Apply for British Citizenship

Just sent an email to British Consulate in Bangkok, must say I got a very swift response, my question was regarding registration of birth and passport for my oldest child. I sated that when my oldest child was born on 4th October 2001 myself and his Thai mother were not married at the time, we have since married by the way.

The response informed me that before I can apply for the child's passport I must first apply for his British Citizenship. After reading the U.K Border Agency links submitted with the response, it appears the application must be sent to the U.k Border Agency in Liverpool.

I would just like to know if anyone has been through this process, and what was your experience ?.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

It would appear not, certainly if anyone has they're not reading this!

I can't find anything from someone who has done this and reported back via the forum search either.

However, the procedure should be fairly straightforward; particularly as you are now married to his mother.

The links provided by the embassy hopefully included Children born before 1 July 2006 whose father is a British citizen but not married to their mother - section 3(1) applications and Completing the application form.

It would appear not, certainly if anyone has they're not reading this!

I can't find anything from someone who has done this and reported back via the forum search either.

However, the procedure should be fairly straightforward; particularly as you are now married to his mother.

The links provided by the embassy hopefully included Children born before 1 July 2006 whose father is a British citizen but not married to their mother - section 3(1) applications and Completing the application form.

Thanks for your input 7by7, I first became concerned about this after speaking to a friend who visited the consulate and spoke to them in person. I can't recall his exact words but basically they told him questions would be asked, such as "why have you left it so late", they basically told him he would be better off going through this process in the U.K. Hence my email to the consulate.

Perhaps you are right and it will be straightforward, but it conflicts with reports which say you need to appear at the Embassy (Bangkok) with documentary proof, take some sort of oath and fill out a domicile questionnaire. If this no longer applies, do they really expect you to visit the U.K for this purpose, or will it be as easy as simply sending your documents by post and waiting for a verdict ?

The links above, links from those pages, the information provided by the embassy and Guide MN1 should provide you with most, if not all, of the information you require.

You will see from page 33 of the guide that the application is, indeed, sent to Liverpool.

I don't see that your child needs to complete a domicile questionnaire, but you may need to. As registration in these circumstances is at the Home Office's discretion this is to show your, and hence your child's, ties to the UK.

Other than a citizenship ceremony (if one is required; persons under 18 are not usually required to swear or affirm an oath of allegiance) I can see no need for you or your child to attend the embassy.

Don't worry too much about leaving something out; as you will see from page 34 of the guide, if they need more documents they will contact you.

Edited by 7by7

Has anyone else recently applied for a passport or applied for British citizenship for their child born to unmarried parents before July 2006 ??

Are you sure your marriage didn't legitimate your child? The only complications I can see are if either of you was married at the time of the child's birth or if you have had a Thai domicile rather than a British domicile. It strikes me as odd that you should need to make your child British by registration; he or she would normally have become British automatically when you married the mother.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but i am going through a similar thing myself. I have applied for my son's British passport. He was born before 1 July 2006 and I was not married to his mother. We have since been married. I applied for the passport and was not told to apply for his citizenship first.

I really thought that the marriage made my son legitimate and there would be no problems getting his passport. I applied 5 weeks ago in Bangkok and I have not heard from the passport office to say there is a problem.

Should I be worried?

I know this is an old topic but i am going through a similar thing myself. I have applied for my son's British passport. He was born before 1 July 2006 and I was not married to his mother. We have since been married. I applied for the passport and was not told to apply for his citizenship first.

I really thought that the marriage made my son legitimate and there would be no problems getting his passport. I applied 5 weeks ago in Bangkok and I have not heard from the passport office to say there is a problem.

Should I be worried?

Have sent you a PM.

I think the links you supplied Patrick are not for a father who has since married the mother

5.2. They do not apply to a person who was subsequently “legitimated” by the marriage of his or her parents and has accordingly already acquired British citizenship or qualifies for registration under section 1(3), 3(3) or 3(5) of, or paragraph 4 or 5 of Schedule 2 to, the British Nationality Act 1981 (see paragraph 7 below).

What is confusing me is the if the passport office consider my domicile to be the UK then my son can have his passport, if they consider my domicile to be Thailand (not likely) then under Thai law my subsequent marriage "legitimated" my son and my son can have his passport. I really don't understand why they might need to make me fill in a domicile questionnaire.

I emailed the UK passport office yesterday questioning this. Here is there response.

"Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the progress of your son’s passport application.

I have checked the application and it is still showing that the examiner is waiting for the results of the on-going checks.

Unfortunately, until these checks have been completed the examiner is not able to progress with the application."

Fingers crossed!