Laksi Clash: Injured Man's Daughter Files Libel Complaint

Lite Beer

Laksi Clash: Injured Man's Daughter Files Libel Complaint

By Khaosod English.

BANGKOK: -- Daughter of the man paralysed by gunfire in pre-election violence has lashed out at accusation that her father was a Cambodian gunman.

Mr. Arkaew Saelew, 71, was shot in the neck area by unidentified assailants during a gunbattle between pro-government supporters and the heavily armed militants allied to the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) on 1 February at Bangkok′s Laksi district.

His daughter, Ms. Euangfah Saelew, has previously told reporters that her father was a demonstrator who had joined the protest in support of the election on 2 February.

Yet a number of anti-government social network sites have alleged that Mr. Arkaew was in fact a member of "Cambodian armed forces" who infiltrated Bangkok to sow chaos against PCAD supporters.

Some accusations also specifically identified Mr. Arkaew as a close aide to Cambodian Prime Minister, Mr. Hun Sen.

Upset by these accusations, Ms. Euangfah filed complaint with the police at Thoong Song Hong Police Station, urging the police force to prosecute those who spread "baseless" online rumours about her father.

"It′s baseless slandering," Ms. Euangfah told our correspondent, "My father is Thai. He has a Thai ID card. Such postings have damaged my father′s reputation and worsened his pain".

She expressed her hope that the police would also identify and arrest those who have shot Mr. Arkaew, but added that she dared not hope much since the authorities have not yet prosecuted anyone responsible for killing unarmed protesters in 2010.

Ms. Euangfah explained that her father was a Thai-Chinese resident of Songkhla province before he moved to Bangkok′s Laksi district where he settled down and made a living by selling soft drinks in front of a local school.

According to Ms. Euangfah, her father had never joined any protest before last Saturday. "He was interested in politics. He likes to follow the news on TV at his home".

She said she was contacted by Viphavadi Hospital at 18.00 on that day about her father′s injury.

"I was so shocked," Ms. Euangfah said, "I was made even more shocked and stressed to see people on the social media accusing my father of being a Cambodian gunman. It′s not true at all"

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UWXdNemt4T1E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-05

• Like 1

"gunbattle between pro-government supporters and the heavily armed militants allied"

The use of the word 'gunbattle' suggests that those pro-government supporters were also armed. The 'heavily' in the 'armed militants' doesn't seem to have much proof either. Even the clips show only the odd barely camouflaged gun.

"gunbattle between pro-government supporters and the heavily armed militants allied"

The use of the word 'gunbattle' suggests that those pro-government supporters were also armed. The 'heavily' in the 'armed militants' doesn't seem to have much proof either. Even the clips show only the odd barely camouflaged gun.

22 gunmen involved, so hardly just the "odd barely camouflaged gun", rubl. Don't Tavors count in your "heavily armed" lexicon, or do 155mm howitzers have to be involved before you'll grudgingly admit there were "heavily armed militants" firing away from the anti-government side?

Anyway back to the topic.

Anything to say wrt the libel complaint being filed against the PCAD or should that be forgotten as well in the fight for the anti - government PCAD's right to protest peacefully?

• Like 2

22 gunmen involved, so hardly just the "odd barely camouflaged gun", rubl. Don't Tavors count in your "heavily armed" lexicon, or do 155mm howitzers have to be involved before you'll grudgingly admit there were "heavily armed militants" firing away from the anti-government side?

Anything to say wrt the libel complaint being filed against the PCAD or should that be forgotten as well in the fight for the anti - government PCAD's right to protest peacefully?

That other topic only says 22 gunmen involved, but doesn't say who they belong to.

As for the libel complaint, go ahead, part of the Thai legal system. Let the court sort it out.

Gunbattle means two sides.

So the your side was not clean either.

Anyway stupid of the anti government to say such a thing that can easily be dis proven by the daughter by showing her father his ID card Also (and maybe I am wrong) at his age I don't suspect him to be a gunman. So she has good cause to fine such a suit and I hope she wins (if she is right of course).

Its not that hard to admit that my side (anti government) makes mistakes (though i find this real low if she is right painting a victim as a perpetrator) seems a lot harder for the reds to admit anything of the sort about their government.

• Like 1

Classic dirty trick of Suthep and his insane followers. Spread baseless rumors in order to discredit the government and the supporters of democracy.

Disgusting yellows. Everything and any dirty trick is good to attack their opponents...

Some TV members were also quite for the Cambodian story

"anti-government social network sites have alleged that Mr. Arkaew was in fact a member of "Cambodian armed forces""

71 years old? Thailand won't have much to fear in any border skirmishes then.

Young people and their Twitters ....

• Like 1

offtopic.gif

Are you trying to justify the injury to this poor guy?

Classic dirty trick of Suthep and his insane followers. Spread baseless rumors in order to discredit the government and the supporters of democracy.

Disgusting yellows. Everything and any dirty trick is good to attack their opponents...

Go easy on that Thaksin KoolAid brother.

When I read your post the voice in my head turns to Smeagol speaking.

If you bother reading the TV updates, you'll see the police spreading baseless rumors regularly in order to discredit people trying to overthrow corruption.

• Like 1

ok, if he wasn't a close aide to Hun Sen, than surely he was send from cambodia to vote - that's exactly what fuhrer said on saturday night. If he was shot by the mob, he must be guilty

I thought the Fuhrer died in 1945. Maybe I am wrong and he's still alive and living of his fortune in a country like Dubai!

• Like 1

yup, they learned them from the 2010 BBQ at Central World

These xenophobic rumors have been spread since the start of the demonstrations - according to some insiders this was planned by the protest leaders to lower the psychological barrier for potential violence against other Thais by spreading the rumors they are not Thai but Cambodian.

This is what this coward Suthep was counting on - that's why the "gun battle" the day before the elections this is exactly the reason why many where afraid to come out and vote - the threat alone was enough for many to say "I don't want to take the risk" - This man sacrificed his health to go out that day to vote.

His life is ruined - he made a living day by day selling soft drinks in front of a school and now he is paralyzed - they should hold the protest leaders directly responsible for his injuries and let them pay for the rest of this man's life to take care of him and his family.

And for goodness sake arrest Suthep and throw him in jail - the man has enough blood on his hands by now!

• Like 1

I read the title only and turned to my wife and said I bet anyone 500 baht this is a Khaosod report'... Scrolled to the bottom of the article and hey presto.....

This is Khaosod article. Which means it is almost the opposite of the truth.

Let us wait and see if THIS particular newsbite is followed up by any media which reports facts.

This will just be another in the long line of baseless rubbish that is put out by this Thaksin funded medium.

If nobody else expands on this, then we can fairly assume that he was in fact a Cambodian, assault master and not a Thai. Unless of course the government have just given him a back-dated citizenship and an ID card. Which is also not beyond the realm of possibility.

If anyone here has any faith whatsoever in Khaosod, then I think you must be truly brainwashed beyond the point of salvation.

Edited by mightyatom

classic dirty trick on TV forum, also. How many time the yellow TV looney, did call me a Thaskin/PTP supporter because i was against their yellow leader.

I read the title only and turned to my wife and said I bet anyone 500 baht this is a Khaosod report'... Scrolled to the bottom of the article and hey presto.....

Let us wait and see if THIS particular newsbite is followed up by any media which reports facts.

This will just be another in the long line of baseless rubbish that is put out by this Thaksin funded medium.

If nobody else expands on this, then we can fairly assume that he was in fact a Cambodian, assault master and not a Thai. Unless of course the government have just given him a back-dated citizenship and an ID card. Which is also not beyond the realm of possibility.

If anyone here has any faith whatsoever in Khaosod, then I think you must be truly brainwashed beyond the point of salvation.

You just can't be for real!

• Like 2

Either you're with us or you're Cambodian. That's Suthep's argument.

Great post, could not agree with you more!

71 year old Thai accused of being a member of the Cambodian military, only Suthep could have thought that one up, right up there with the (6) million protesters fairy tale!

I told you on the other thread yesterday when you asked for the name and some details, now its more and you are supposing because its in khaosod which is sympathetic to the reds and who he was supporting as pro protesting its a lie simply because it would be interested in one of its own being shot by the PDRC ? your kidding right ? I dont like the nation as its just as yellow baised but that dosnt mean everything it prints is a lie.

Be very careful what you say here when you accuse someone of, as i said on the other thread if its not backed up by evidence its slander. if nobody expands on this then you have Yellow gutter whispers vs a Thai ID card plus his daughter also a Thai citizen making apparently a police report of slander. should be very easy to follow up and substantiate if there was real investigative reporters here.

Do you not think there are many doubters out there in the yellow brigade that couldnt find this kind of thing out and with very little digging expose a Cambodian plant ? Trip to the school he sold at perhaps or a background check of the daughter or father in songkhla ?

The PDRC would be all over it if they found anything but arnt, now why is that ? He has to prove nothing but show the ID card it would be easy to check the story, thing is hes Innocent until proven guilty mate and if we do indeed hear nothing more which is usual on peoples progress here after some incident you can be pretty sure hes who he says he is and not part of a tin foil hat Cambodian conspiracy.

The guys 71 fer crissake and sold soft drinks at a school ..now hes going to do nothing and live on exactly what ? your so keen to disprove it why not get on your bike and go investigate rather than slandering the bloke, should take you all of an afternoon.

Until further evidence to support the conspiracy theory its nothing but bunk and a vicious bs and heartless attempt to justify and deflect the facts of violence from a "peaceful" movement...dont end up in the gutter with them spreading more rumours without proof you can be held accountable for it even here.

• Like 1

They also seem to have added 40 years to his age on said Thai ID card.

A 71 year old Cambodian hitman? Really?

Yet again finding it hard to define sarcasm to drivel........................sad.png

LAK SI CLASH
'My father is not a mercenary'

The Nation

30226147-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- THE DAUGHTER of an elderly man who was shot and wounded in a gunfight at the Lak Si intersection on Sunday filed a criminal defamation complaint with police yesterday in relation to a report that went viral on social media.

The report allegedly accused her father of being the leader of a team of Cambodian mercenaries who were allegedly brought in to shore up the pro-government red shirts in their clashes with anti-government protesters.

Uaengfa sae-Lew said her father Ar-kaew, 71, is a Thai national and carries a Thai identity card.

He was a Songkhla native, born and raised in Hat Yai district, before relocating to Bangkok at a young age. He mostly worked as a beverage vendor before his retirement.

She said he lived with his two daughters in a home he had bought in Lak Si area for more than a decade now. She went on to say that though her father was a political enthusiast, he did not belong to any particular group.

Uaengfa said Ar-kaew called her at around 3.30pm on Sunday after learning about a confrontation between a group of red shirts and anti-government protesters.

He then headed for a supermarket near the intersection where she sells food, but did not answer his phone when she called him at around 4pm.

"Then at 6pm, I received a call from Vibhavadi Hospital telling me that he had been shot. I was shocked, and became even more distressed when I read online reports about him being a mercenary. It is not true," she insisted.

Thung Song Hong police said such posts were in violation of the Computer Crimes Act and have handed the case over to the Technology Crime-Suppression Division.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-06

Well for the first time im going to say thank you The Nation smile.png you going to accept this yellow bias newpaper as it fits your profile and tastes better ? i hope so

Mightyatom you owe this person an apology for jumping to a very bad, misled conclusion and on a disgusting bandwagon of propaganda, this is why there has to be solid proof or rumours can take hold.

Well done The Nation

there is also a full interview in thai in another newslink im not going to post it as theres no need imo but its a detailed interview and leaves no doubt this man is Thai as is his family and the thats the end of it

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2