Mangos are expensive

nickmanchester2

I was a bit shocked today when I was in a local thai morning market and I asked how much for a Mango? - she weighed it and said 50b and started bagging it up - I said - sorry, I don't want it and walked off - I thought I was getting ripped off.

I went to a different vendor later in the day (not in the market) and asked how much for one, he weighed it and said 55b... well, I ended up paying for it as my mum is coming over tomorrow and wanted to get some nice fruit for here... but is it expensive or what? a big bunch of bananas is only 20b and a bag of cut up pineapple is 20b - I guess mangos are pretty delicate and need a lot of TLC - but they are grown here.

I checked online for the price in a UK supermarket, and its about the same £1

I have picked up 2 small mangoes for 23b in Tescos, but they were just about ready for chucking out, but I just got all the flesh off them and froze them - just cut them up and bung them in my oatmeal in the morning... but man 50b a mango! i'm going to stick to bananas and reduced price mangos is thats the correct price.

Thai mangoes are out of season at the moment. Season starts in March and goes through to June.

Mangoes in the UK won't necessarily have come from Thailand. They'll be from somewhere they're in season and relatively cheap.

mangoes are very expensive when out of season...my darling wife who truly wants to please her darling husband who is quite partial to a nice mango does not pay the high prices charged for out of season mangoes...

I suffer quietly and wait for March to roll around...

(if yer diabetic mangoes play hell with yer blood sugar; it's part of what makes them soooo good...they gots to be bad fer ye...)

• Like 1

The mangos now are also quite acidic and sour not sweet. About the only thong that had disappointed my

mother this trip. That and the garbage/litter all over the place. But she will be here till mid March so all is not

lost for her. tongue.png

Thai mangoes are out of season at the moment. Season starts in March and goes through to June.

Mangoes in the UK won't necessarily have come from Thailand. They'll be from somewhere they're in season and relatively cheap.

Bought some today (in UK at moment, 79p ea at Lidle they are from Brazil) also Papaya £1.49 ea

• 1 month later...

hey!...it's mango season!...anyone been eatin' any mangoes?

in an attempt to better control my blood glucose (the doc sez that the kidneys are startin' to show damage) I have cut out all fruit...but, as I've always enjoyed freeloading off of other people's energy lets hear the exclamations of delight while partaking of the seasonal bounty...

and I'm not comin' home fer a visit until May when mangoes are expensive again...

As happens often, it rained a little when the trees were flowering here, so very few mangoes. On top of that due to the scarcity, people go around at night and knock down the green mangoes to make pok pok. We saw a couple of bamboo poles in our mango trees out in the fields this morning, haven't been out to check yet.

Where do Thailand import their mangoes from..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cambodia exports a lot. We paid 25 /Kg two weeks ago at the border market of Chong Chum.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Surely Cambodia would hv a similar mango season to Thailand no...?

I mean where do Thailand import mangoes from when Thais season is out...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah...but them are cambodian mangoes; they're all Pol Pot and incorrect...

we gots to have some thai mangoes and everyting that that implies...

what dat dude say in Apocalypse Now?: 'gwine get me some mangoes and make a mango creme pudding...'?

some mangoes are not what that they seem...

(the evil step-daughter with a dish of sliced mangoes knowing that their ingestion shall dangerously elevate my blood glucose: 'mango, kemosabe?)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94a_1258626424&comments=1

and...all 'chef' wanted to do was to get some mangoes...

and then there was tutsi's 'mango epiphany' when he was cured from a tropical fever with infusions of mangoes many years ago in Indonesia...and the malay woman then said: 'you look OK...shall I move in now?...' and then the chasm opened wide...and she said: 'please fall into my chasm...your connection to yer past is fading quickly...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

btw...presently reading 'Swann's Way' with the scottish man's translation...a cornucopia of mixed remembrances with no direction??!!

oh, if but Proust had eaten mangoes served by dusky malay women!!

'Odette...mangoes, if you please...'

(I was with a high falutin bolivian woman who commanded great respect as she was from a 'great family' and she always wore unremarkable clothing and then when she added color to the wardrobe and I remarked she simply said: 'f*k the drapes and let me have you, you idiot! do you like my under wear?'

I was 17 y.o....what a monster...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

today I found meself chatting in bahasa with some indonesians in a pump workshop in Dubai (lord knows how I got there, I just remember buying 2 boddles of vodka inbound at the duty free when I got off the flight from Jeddah) and I lapsed into 'mango mode' (oh, my darling Yulianti, where are you now?)...

one was javanese and the other was a batak from Sumatra and we got to talking about food: 'hey! do they got bubur ayam in Thailand (rice porridge)? me: 'yeah but it's made with pork, daging babi...' big laughs all around and I said to the Sumatra guy: 'but the bataks eat pork, drink whisky an' everything! (batakland is a Christian enclave in a muslim archipielago)'...

and then I got the indo equivalent of: 'youse cool, bro...' and I shall be 64 years old soon...

those guys were never to view me with the same eyes again...and now I write from a lonely hotel room on the Sheik Zayed Road....

hey!...I almost saw Sheik Zayed once when he came unannounced as he was wont to do to the site that I was working at in Abu Dhabi...too bad I missed him as we would've got along in grand fashion...I was sad when he died as was my wife as she recognized that he was a man well loved when we lived there...