Thai Army told to handle protesters with leniency

webfact

Thai Army told to handle protesters with leniency
By Digital Content

13916489988129.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 6 – Thailand's authorities will refrain from using force against protesters even if they break into the Defence headquarters, which has become the prime minister’s temporary office, according to a senior Defence Ministry official.

Permanent Secretary for Defence Nipat Thonglek said yesterday that army personnel providing security at the Defence Permanent Secretary Office were instructed to stay put, and not using weapons or batons, in dealing with protesters.

They were told to protect themselves with shields, and nothing else, he said, adding that the army personnel would provide security inside the building where caretaker Prime Minister/Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra would be working.

The Defence Ministry’s judge advocate has lodged a complaint against anti-government protesters for cutting barbed wire at the entrance of the Defence headquarters on Chaeng Wattana road on Monday.

Meanwhile, Nitithorn Lamlua, leader of the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand, said the arrest warrants for five leading members of his group would not deter them from their activities against what he termed the unlawful and corrupt government.

He said the group would intensify its movement by putting pressure on state agencies which have supported the Center for Maintaining Peace and Order. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-06

it's a coup by a thousand cuts. At the end of the day Thailand was always to end back at square one. There's be an appointed government for a couple of years, They'll try another election, the appointed government will be voted out and. a democratic one.voted in. When ti tries to do anything meaningful it will be couped out like all it's predecessors. Just as at the Hatter's Party - in Thailand it's always 6 o'clock.

• Like 1

I dont think so. The army has been pretty clear cut that they will not get in the middle of this. In fact if Chalerm has people inside i think the army will protect the protesters from physical harm.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"It is unheard of in any country, much less a Democracy that the Army would refuse to protect the head of State, the Military is drawing a line in the sand that is clearing on the anti-government side. "

Perhaps you are just naive or worse plain ignorant. The Head of State in Thailand is His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, not Yingluck Shinawatra.

The army's sworn duty is to protect His Majesty and they do just that. It is the job of The Royal Thai Police to protect the P.M.

(Although they were delinquent in their duty in 2010 when the P.M. at the time was attacked)

And, yes, that line in the sand is not going to get washed away by the next tide.

• Like 2

I believe this to be a possible trap.

The army out front, but inside could be police assault units waiting for them.

Then they can say they were protecting the PM from being kidnapped or worse, or some ludicrous propaganda based story to feed the foreign media for sympathy.

a failed brain.

that's defence ministry building and army protects it.

there is no police, as army was asked to protect the pm.

in fact, at the ministry there are now army and airforce, as a back up. Airforce are independent from the army and have different command chain. They have already different orders

The stance of the army is markedly, markedly different from Chalerm's. The army has been very skillful at handling the protests, while Chalerm has not. The army knows that the protests have been deemed constitutional. They know that the people have a legitimate right to express their grievances, and they know enough to know that they have legitimate grievances concerning this administration. Chalerm doesn't recognize any of that, of course. As a private individual he has every right to hold that opinion. But as a deputy prime minister, labour minister, head of CMPO, the man in charge of deportations, self-appointed suppressor of the media, and of issuing threats and warrants to everything that moves - he doesn't. Chalerm actually poses a greater threat than all the protests combined. Why ? Because he holds more power than any man is ever meant to. With power comes responsibility.

Then they can say they were protecting the PM from being kidnapped or worse, or some ludicrous propaganda based story to feed the foreign media for sympathy.

a failed brain.

that's defence ministry building and army protects it.

there is no police, as army was asked to protect the pm.

in fact, at the ministry there are now army and airforce, as a back up. Airforce are independent from the army and have different command chain. They have already different orders

In the other English language newspaper that cannot be mentioned they reported that That troops would be unarmed in the Ministry of Defence. They also told of the 7 battalions of police outside who may or may not be armed.

Or the opposite.....warning the PM that it is a very bad idea to hide in their building....

Telling basically "If the protester came and take you, we let them do it".

Wow, lunatic fringe has now been heard from.

Putting aside your tale of woo!

It is unheard of in any country, much less a Democracy that the Army would refuse to protect the head of State, the Military is drawing a line in the sand that is clearing on the anti-government side.

Maybe they forgot that the army is mostly representative of the rural and less affluent draftees, that will be reluctant to follow orders to attack their own, as the elites have practiced their longtime (Corruption) which includes buying their sons deferment from serving in Thailand's armed forces.

Food for thought!

There was a statement from the army this morning which said they are *already* providing the Prime Minister with their best elite protection.

But go ahead and believe whatever rubbish you want.

"Meanwhile, Nitithorn Lamlua, leader of the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand, said the arrest warrants for five leading members of his group would not deter them from their activities against what he termed the unlawful and corrupt government."

So what he has been doing, stopping people from voting and distruction of private property is legal?

Do you want to be the PM??????

"It is unheard of in any country, much less a Democracy that the Army would refuse to protect the head of State, the Military is drawing a line in the sand that is clearing on the anti-government side. "

Perhaps you are just naive or worse plain ignorant. The Head of State in Thailand is His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, not Yingluck Shinawatra.

The army's sworn duty is to protect His Majesty and they do just that. It is the job of The Royal Thai Police to protect the P.M.

(Although they were delinquent in their duty in 2010 when the P.M. at the time was attacked)

And, yes, that line in the sand is not going to get washed away by the next tide.

Your lack of common sense is quite obvious, as forum rules prohibit any discussion involving that issue, I would never address that issue in any post.

The Chosen head of state by the majority ELECTED party PTP, is Yingluck Shinowatra, the person that has been in the news for the last 3 or 4 months, the person the army refused to defend is Yingluck Shinowatra, either you are completely clueless or could not think of any appropriate valid response to the post!

Cheers

It is unheard of in any country, much less a Democracy that the Army would refuse to protect the head of State, the Military is drawing a line in the sand that is clearing on the anti-government side.

Maybe they forgot that the army is mostly representative of the rural and less affluent draftees, that will be reluctant to follow orders to attack their own, as the elites have practiced their longtime (Corruption) which includes buying their sons deferment from serving in Thailand's armed forces.

Food for thought!

Look up the facts people. The vast majority of Thailand's military come from Thaksin territory, don't always agree with diehard, but this could end up with Bruce Willis and his family coming out in force. See ya later sucker....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Thai Army told to handle protesters with leniency"

Such a refreshing change to 2010...................

It is a good thing it is not suthep because he would have the protesters met with live fire.

Very true and Suthep even admitted so. Any arguments? Suthep claimed responsibility too remember....

Food for thought!

There was a statement from the army this morning which said they are *already* providing the Prime Minister with their best elite protection.

But go ahead and believe whatever rubbish you want.

I prefer to get my news from the media, which I consider a more reliable source then from yellow shirts.

Did they happen to tell you how many are present of their best Elite protection! is it enough to protect the PM from a large violent mob! If she had enough protection why would she asks the military for more???

Was it more then 6 vans full of Cambodians!

Peace

Food for thought!

The Head of State is HM the King and they would protect him until death.

Would they protect YS ? Not at all sadly. If the red's would have behaved like Suthep and his gang many would have been shot point blank as those guys really didn't gave a damn about them.

Let's be clear The Thai army really is rubbish. They can't fix the South, blame the Cambodian's and make a lot of money on to the sea in people smugglings.

Thailand need reforms, starting at the army, courts and then down the police. Everybody blames the police but people seem to forget the army to often.

• Like 2

Your lack of common sense is quite obvious, as forum rules prohibit any discussion involving that issue, I would never address that issue in any post.

The Chosen head of state by the majority ELECTED party PTP, is Yingluck Shinowatra, the person that has been in the news for the last 3 or 4 months, the person the army refused to defend is Yingluck Shinowatra, either you are completely clueless or could not think of any appropriate valid response to the post!

Cheers

kikoman, he does have a point here that you may want to elaborate on....