Best 3G/4G Data Plan in Pattaya? and how to apply?

koeko

Hello,

I need to choose a simcard for my new tablet and I was hesitating between AIS (One-2-Call) and TrueMove H, are there any others?

I'm looking for a prepaid data plan, 3G or 4G (if available), it will be for a Nexus 7 4G LTE.

I'm posting in the Pattaya forum because it's very specific to Pattaya and Jomtien, I know that AIS has better coverage in Isaan but I'll use it mainly in Pattaya and Jomtien so I need a local advise.

I've visited both websites of AIS and TrueMoveH and compared their offers, but they don't seem to list all the available prepaid packages, maybe there are some more interesting ones that you wouldn't mind to share? Thanks!

Also the problem is to subscribe because my tablet has 3G/4G-LTE but doesn't have any phone capabilities, so how exactly do I send the #777#33* or whatever in order to get the package? Put the SIM in a phone, activate the package, put it back in the tablet, and do this each time I need to renew it?

Having decided which brand you want to use, just go to one of their shops and get them to do it. I never do any of that code stuff or call the call centre myself. True in BigC does it all for me.

Ok but then you need to go to the shop each time you need to renew your plan? Unless you have a postpaid plan?

Having decided which brand you want to use, just go to one of their shops and get them to do it. I never do any of that code stuff or call the call centre myself. True in BigC does it all for me.

Ok but then you need to go to the shop each time you need to renew your plan? Unless you have a postpaid plan?

I dont actually have a paid-for data plan. My tablet is also my pre-pay phone and I do get 100mb of mobile data free every month (I've no idea why) but whenever anything needs sorting out with my tablet/SIM payments/packages I just let the True people do it. I go to BigC at least once a week anyway, so no big deal.

If you use True then you can install their Android app which seems to do a lot of package management/payments and visualisation of credits in English or Thai.

True also do their unlimited (well, sort of) wifi for a very low price per month. Having this might allow you to get a much smaller/cheaper 3G package.

As a longtime DTAC aircard user (at Edge speeds) living in small village, I switched to True because it was the first to offer 3G/4G in my village. I had nothing but trouble with True. I could not go to a webpage without getting an annoying page first, injected by True. I also had many other problems too numerous to describe. It was all so annoying and frustrating that I gave up the 3G/4G and went back to DTAC at Edge speeds (199 baht/month, unlimited).

DTAC finally brought 3G/4G to my village and I happily moved back. No problems. Fast and seamless. I am happy as a pig in shit.

Cost: When I went to the shops, The cheapest DTAC plan was 1 GB (or it might have been 0.75 GB) of download at the 3G/4G speed then reversion to Edge speeds (unlimited for the rest of the month) at a cost of 399 baht + tax.

HOWEVER, when I CALLED DTAC Customer Service, (1678), I was offered 3 GB of download at the 3G/4G speed then reversion to Edge speeds (unlimited for the rest of the month) at same cost of 399 baht + tax. The package will be recurring so long as I have enough of balance.

So I bought a sim card at a shop, had them activate it, loaded it with baht, then called DTAC customer service to activate the 3G/4G plan. I am quite happy as my Internet habits do not consume the entire 3 GB in a month, so I have high speed all the time.

By the way, DTAC customer service has great English service.

Edit: I have only used prepaid services and know nothing about the post-paid plans.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 2

Also the problem is to subscribe because my tablet has 3G/4G-LTE but doesn't have any phone capabilities, so how exactly do I send the #777#33* or whatever in order to get the package? Put the SIM in a phone, activate the package, put it back in the tablet, and do this each time I need to renew it?

If it is DTAC, just call CS from any phone, give them the phone number of the sim in your tablet/aircard or whatever, and ask them to activate the package you want. I have never had a problem with this method for my aircard. I have never switched the sim back and forth to my phone.

• 7 months later...

Getting pretty fast speeds with AIS 3g 2100. Tried in several different places around Pattaya at different times of day and night. 5-20Mb/s down and 1.5-7Mb/s up. You need a phone that works with 2100Mhz to get the faster speeds otherwise it uses 3g 900Mhz which is much slower or EDGE which is slower still.

Their FAQ explains quite well including how to test if your phone and AIS SIM are compatible.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/faq.aspx?language=en

This is a pretty good list of all the plans from all the providers and what the phone codes are to get them.

http://thaiprepaidcard.com/3g-data-plans-for-12call-dtac-and-true/

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ais much better for me than true. The 3 G package unlimited gives 3 gigs & thereafter unlimited. Supposedly throttled but the speed is identical after the 3 gigs are up, all the way to 16 gigs of downloading. If you have a problem AIS will always credit your account even if they are wrong. True for me is the same speed but out of 3 months nothing but problems with the unlimited not being unlimited mystery charges & never get to speak to an English speaking person. Pulling teeth to get a credit back. Even in the shops True goes out of their way to hire the biggest dummies on the planet for agents. My last outing at Big C true (Pattaya Klang) 4 pissed off Farangs 2 pissed off Thais. Hell of a way to do business.

And with AIS they always give me extra time if I forget to top up in time. I use the sim for a aircard here in Bang Saray & it works great never any issues with internet package. I have heard some say they have good luck with true but look at the amount of people trying to hash it out at True & then look at AIS & you can tell people are a lot happier campers with AIS. Lastly they are even cheaper.

True still does not have 4G only BKK has real 4G . They all say they have 4G here in Pattaya but no one is up & running here in Pattaya yet. Supposedly will change the beginning of next year. At any rate it will more likely be 2.5 G instead of a real 3G or 4G.

I've got the monthly AIS3G 2100 plan for 399 baht and I am very happy.

I've got the monthly AIS3G 2100 plan for 249 baht and I am very happy. It contains 500MB per month which is enough for me. There is AIS app fro smartphones. Sometimes, they offer promotions which are not available by their website.

Every month, the 249 Baht (or whatever package you choose) will get deduct from balance on the sim-card.

I'm happy with it.

True has tons of 4g coverage in Pattaya and other places. Why constrain yourself unless your device does not support it

there is no 4G in Pattaya

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g/en/index.html#pane04

True is good in town but when i go to gf house in sattahim that is bit off the main rd. it dosent work

AIS works fine

and speeds are similar

u can test it http://www.speedtest.net/

Edited by mataleo

I had problems with True. First, they were often slow. Second, I found their service was extremely patchy. For example, nothing at all in Phuket. Then I switched to DTAC and found them to be cheaper, faster and their coverage is far better. no experience of AIS. to get DTAC you just buy a DTAC Happy SIM card In 7-11, add about 600 baht to the account, which is easy to do in 7-11 and then just use the auto downloaded menu on your phone to subscribe to their monthly broadband service which is 499 + a few percent tax. I've never used the SIM in a tablet as I just use my phone to create a WiFi hotspot for the tablet, I'm just assuming it will work the same.

Edited by paddyjenkins

I was in a similar position earlier this year.

I purchased a DTAC 3g package at BKK Airport

I stay in a very high condo in south Jomtien. The DTAC 3G reception was very poor and spasmodic..

The DTAC help-line operative, admitted that reception in Jomtien was somewhat patchy. ..she also suggested that I live much too high! (My DTAC phone works fine)

I subsequently puchased a similar AIS 3G package from AIS on the ground floor in Central. (they set it all up) The AIS reception is much superior..

Both packages suggested that they were unlimited. This is a complete falsehood. (See previous T.V. posts)

I would suggest you ask your neighbours, which provider they use.

I had problems with True. First, they were often slow. Second, I found their service was extremely patchy. For example, nothing at all in Phuket.

What a load of trollup. I have been from phi phi to Phuket in the ferry, even mid water get 3G from true. Same with the ferry from Samui to Surat Thani

If any company is seriously behind in 3G, it's Dtac

there is no 4G in pattaya

Forgot to add "when using AIS"

True has a lot of 4g

Not forgot.

None of the networks got 4G in Pattaya period.

In Pattaya there is 3G

You dont know what 4G is then.

And here u got true h 4G coverage map

There is no pattaya on map or list

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g/en/index.html#pane04

Edited by mataleo

i use AIS post paid 599+vat

it gives 1.5GB unlimited net (speed drops after u use 1.5GB, then you can buy additional 1GB for 150+vat using code *777*771# )

300 min video or voice calls

and unlimited AIS wifi

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-one-2-call/th/promotion-detail.aspx?type=super_value&id=2

Sorry i ment to say its prepaid not post pay.

Good deal net and 300 min calls

I had problems with True. First, they were often slow. Second, I found their service was extremely patchy. For example, nothing at all in Phuket.

What a load of trollup. I have been from phi phi to Phuket in the ferry, even mid water get 3G from true. Same with the ferry from Samui to Surat Thani

If any company is seriously behind in 3G, it's Dtac

What a load of trollop, I assure you I certainly did had coverage problems with True and many others have experienced the same thing. The fact you may or may not have seen one or two bars on your phone when on a ferry really says very little. The fact I couldn't connect to the Internet or make calls when in Phuket, however, says a lot.

Time to get a new phone + right SIM in your phone. Your comments are either pure slander or you have wrong device / sim

Here is an old thread - tons of 4g already March 2014.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708281-true-4g-coverage-post-your-locations/

Here are pre / post 3G /4g SIM packages

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh

I have posted maybe 6 months back about tons of 3G in Pattaya.

You won't find allot of 4g in buildings are it requires IB network and 2100 sucks with in building penetration. ( just ask AIS 2100 MHz users )