Overstay Experience

I was planning to go to immigration to get my 30 day extension today (tourist visa), thinking it was the day my visa expired, but it was in fact 3 days ago. Not sure what to do I talked with several members of this website about my options and got several different answers from do a border run to report to immigration. I have a very important business meeting tomorrow so a border run wasn't feasible. Today I ventured down to Imperial World Lad Phrao, I decided to wait till the morning rush was over, so I went around 2pm. Paid my 1000 baht fine (they knocked off one day), paid for the extension and was on my way. Overall it was a very fast and efficient process rather than having to make the journey to Gov Complex.

• Like 1

Pleased the overstay issue was reasonably painless; small detail, if you are attending business meetings here, then you should be on a non immigrant 'b' business visa, not a Tourist Visa.

If by any chance you are also working here, as well as doing business, then you need a Work Permit on the risk of imprisonment, fine and deportation if you are caught working without one.

No idea as to your specific circumstances, but do be careful re visibly working here (even if your remuneration is made outside of Thailand).

I have several business meetings a week in Soi Cowboy and I am still on a Tourist Visa.facepalm.gif

BTW I used to be late for the extension a couple of times, but always received a backdated extension. Never received overstay. I even didn't know you could pay overstay at an Immigration Office other than one at the border.

Edited by sniffdog
  • Like 1

I have several business meetings a week in Soi Cowboy and I am still on a Tourist Visa.facepalm.gif

BTW I used to be late for the extension a couple of times, but always received a backdated extension. Never received overstay. I even didn't know you could pay overstay at an Immigration Office other than one at the border.

You were lucky you didn't get charged an overstay or it could of been because your entry ended on a weekend or holiday.

Overstay fines are often paid at immigration offices as part of getting an extension. There have even been cases of a person applying for a 7 day extension to leave the country and paying the max overstay fine.

I have witnessed it being done at immigration up here when a Laotian lady married to a Thai was applying for an extension based upon marriage and paying the 20K baht fine.

All that worry for naught

There's a lot of that going around, much of it generated here at the hub-of-baseless-fear-mongering.

That comes from people posting on here that have zero knowledge about it other than rumors and hearsay.

The fact is that unless you are caught with on overstay immigration is very lenient about overstays if you voluntarily show up to settle the overstay.

• Like 2

There are two different situations that might occur.

If you have a small overstay but otherwise qualify for an extension, Immigration has the authority to collect the fine and issue the extension.

If you have overstayed an entry that cannot be extended, their choices are very limited. That is the case where it is much more advisable to head directly for the airport.

• Like 1

There are two different situations that might occur. If you have a small overstay but otherwise qualify for an extension, Immigration has the authority to collect the fine and issue the extension. If you have overstayed an entry that cannot be extended, their choices are very limited. That is the case where it is much more advisable to head directly for the airport.

The case of there not being an extension possible is where this from police order 777/2551 comes into play.

4. In the case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the non-permission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date following the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

This is how the 7 day extension application is done. Apply for it pay the fee and get 7 days to leave the country.

But the best choice if possible is just go to the airport and pay the fine on your way out.

There's a lot of that going around, much of it generated here at the hub-of-baseless-fear-mongering.

could not have said it better myself. Many here who deal in the letter of the law rather than its actual practice, trotting out dire warnings, where the reality is far more benign.

it does grow very stale..

• Like 2

could not have said it better myself. Many here who deal in the letter of the law rather than its actual practice, trotting out dire warnings, where the reality is far more benign.

it does grow very stale..

True, for every one who gets banged up and excessively squeezed (and worse), there's probably at least 1000 who have absolutely no issues. No warning, no finger wag, not even a scowl.

However, that should not detract from the very obvious fact that staying within the limits of the well publicized and oft discussed Thai Immigration laws is always the path of least resistance. Why invite a 'possible' issue when one can easily avoid it. You know the time to 'check bin' is when there's still money in your wallet no?

• Like 1

agreed, but the doomsayers make no caveats, and sometimes situations such as that of the OP dictate pushing the boundaries a little.

Then there are those who feel the need to rehash the visa/work permit issue ad nauseum

I find it interesting/amusing the number of people who can't seem to remember the date when their visa/extension expires. I thought that would have been on of the more important items to commit to memory.

I find it interesting/amusing the number of people who can't seem to remember the date when their visa/extension expires. I thought that would have been on of the more important items to commit to memory.

I find it interesting/amusing the number of people who post on here with their holier than thou attitude. How does it feel to be perfect in life and never make mistakes?

• Like 1

For a few days, you wouldn't need to exit, though I'm surprised they should have 'knocked off' one day.

But you have a very important business meeting, yet you're on a tourist visa? I assume immigration don't know that?

My important business meeting is to purchase a business here in Bangkok. Immigration will know about it soon enough.

Pleased the overstay issue was reasonably painless; small detail, if you are attending business meetings here, then you should be on a non immigrant 'b' business visa, not a Tourist Visa.

If by any chance you are also working here, as well as doing business, then you need a Work Permit on the risk of imprisonment, fine and deportation if you are caught working without one.

No idea as to your specific circumstances, but do be careful re visibly working here (even if your remuneration is made outside of Thailand).

I originally came here as a tourist (after living and working here legally for 10+ years) but was recently presented with the chance to purchase a business here in town. No money has changed hands so far and when it does I can assure you it will all be within the confines of Thai Laws.

This is incorrect the op could have an APEC card which will allow him to attend meeting also does not need a visa as he would have been stamp in for 90 days

This is incorrect the op could have an APEC card which will allow him to attend meeting also does not need a visa as he would have been stamp in for 90 days

What makes you think he can qualify for a APEC card and how he can apply for one?

I find it interesting/amusing the number of people who post on here with their holier than thou attitude. How does it feel to be perfect in life and never make mistakes?

benden25 -thank you.

I originally came here as a tourist (after living and working here legally for 10+ years) but was recently presented with the chance to purchase a business here in town. No money has changed hands so far and when it does I can assure you it will all be within the confines of Thai Laws.

Thanks for the clarification and good luck with your new venture if you decide to proceed with the purchase.

I find it interesting/amusing the number of people who post on here to gloat and boast about their overstay "mistakes".

I find it interesting/amusing the number of people who post on here to gloat and boast about their overstay "mistakes".

Gloat and boast? Actually I am posting about a positive experience with Thai immigration due to the massive amounts of condescension and negativity on these forums that ultimately confuse many newcomers to this country who are human and due make mistakes. But carry on with your internet tough guy attitude, you win you are the coolest person here!

I'm amused by people so old they still commit things to memory

• Like 1

overstaying isn't a big deal.