How I got 500B from an immigration officer.

NomadJoe

See it isn't Corruption anymore , Corruption isn't a normal pattern of behavior for a good person !

Everyone here is Jai Yen-Yen ,so no one is a bad person here. Here we mistake it for what is Normal behavior for a PM to the fried rice vendor charging farangs 10B more then your GF standing in front of you...TiT as Bernard Trink would say!

Edited by TheWizardofRnR

Yes, In Udon its quite pleasant. Just smile and talk, and bam....everything smells like roses, and my gal gets all those compliments on how she found the good farang...and handsome, at that. But, I get that all over the world. I only wish the farangs here were more friendly....but, for now, I am one of those guys that just pretend they don't exist, and I am the only handsome guy in town. A joke and a smile is all it takes...sure nuff.

• Like 1

Nice

story smile.png

To those of you mentioning corruption, you aint seen the half of it!biggrin.png

to those who think there's is corruption in Thailand spend a year in Nigeria and find out that Thai government officials are as innocent as altar boys.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/

img]

Angola the same. Thai immigration are far better.

• Like 1

I second the comments about Africa. i used to hang out there 15 years ago and simply crossing a border (with valid documents/visas in passport) implied "tea/cigarette" money unless u wanted to wait (camp!!) an indefinite time at the border. indefinite period in africa can be a loooooooooong time btw :)

• Like 1

Nice story smile.png

To those of you mentioning corruption, you aint seen the half of it!biggrin.png

to those who think there's is corruption in Thailand spend a year in Nigeria and find out that Thai government officials are as innocent as altar boys.

tongue.png

Have worked and lived in Italy, Jamaica and Mexico (brown shirts, all one needs to say).......all worse then here.

Great story, this is what is different here.....

• Like 1

Just got back from getting my extension of stay in --. Evidently, according to the immigration officer, at 59yo, I could become a 'special case' and with no money in the bank, qualify for a retirement extension, for the princely sum of 20,000bht! Wonder how that works then? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I second the comments about Africa. i used to hang out there 15 years ago and simply crossing a border (with valid documents/visas in passport) implied "tea/cigarette" money unless u wanted to wait (camp!!) an indefinite time at the border. indefinite period in africa can be a loooooooooong time btw smile.png

Thank FSM Latin blood runs faster. I once was in similar situation Venezuelan police station and decided to play dump gringo, who don't understand to offer money to the officials. After 45 minutes or so they gave up and kicked me out.

One trick to avoid troubles in the border crossings was to ask, in very friendly manner, the officials to pose for an photo. They always seemed to love it. Not sure if that works in Africa or in Asia.

For a mistake like an overstay ,.......myself i would have paid 500 bath for each day as the law says and ask for my receipt.

thats it

no stupid smiling, stupid game or funny staff.....!

no funny discount either or money under the table .....i never do that....thats the way in my place many police officer knows me and i got respected for that ..or not... but i don't care ...i am right

• Like 1

they scammed you lol biggrin.png

bah.gif This was a thoroughly charming story. I cannot imagine someone who is such a dullard, such an imperceptive and boring creature that they would only take "scammed" out of it.tongue.png

It's a very amusing story, they gave him the money and found a way to take it back at the same and have him do the work as well, it's like getting a dog to do a trick for a dog biscuit and after the trick he doesn't get to eat it :)

• Like 1

Some good stories. I've overstayed a couple of times accidentally. I find immigration at the airport friendly and really unconcerned.

I overstayed in Hong Kong, twice. First for a week, second time for a month. No fancy test, no silly scummy smile, no fine, just some explanation and "legal" check work, and off I was, on the flight.

I just wonder, no I don't coffee1.gif

• Like 1

they scammed you lol biggrin.png

bah.gif This was a thoroughly charming story. I cannot imagine someone who is such a dullard, such an imperceptive and boring creature that they would only take "scammed" out of it.tongue.png

It's a very amusing story, they gave him the money and found a way to take it back at the same and have him do the work as well, it's like getting a dog to do a trick for a dog biscuit and after the trick he doesn't get to eat it smile.png

Nope. I did not say I paid the 500B for them to re-open. smile.png

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2