THAI union firm on Monday shutdown of the airline

webfact

I'm going on and on about this, because it seems we have come to a point where we believe mediocrity is excellence... we begin to believe our own bullshit.... we begin to believe we can excel and be paid more by sitting and protesting and blaming others. What happened to working hard for a decent wage?!

No wonder Thailand is a peaceful, third world country.... there are wonderful things about it, but hard working, progressive, honest are NOT three adjectives I associate with the country.... maybe this is what we should strive to be, instead of finger pointing, nose picking whiners.... Let's go forward!!! [Chalerm, can you read this, lols]

Honest no, progressive defibitely not...but hard working, come on - how many hours is a work week in France? And how many annual leave days are alkowed in the UK?

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Okay Okay Okay ... I agree.

It's bloody hard work to stay in the office for 12 hours, having to chat with my friends on Facebook all the time, watching movies, arguing with the boss, because he/she asks you to do some work for HIM/HER for a change and for the next half an hour ... gosh, it's so hard work, and all that for merely what ... 12K, 15K ... Ah, I need to migrate to Australia, US, UK, Germany ... there i can even be unemployed and still get paid ...

No doubt, there are some Thai they actually work, but the greater mass, ... No wonder this world is going downhill

Nothing was ever achieved anywhere, with a lazy employee attitude, backed up by even worse unions!

Australia alone, could entertain the world with lazy stories, for the rest of the days. I still remember the good'ol Hawk times and when Kenneth got cut, after he turned a bankrupt State of Victoria into a AAA rating state again. Of course he wasn't loved by the bludgers!

Boy oh boy, kids, you need to experience real hunger and the fight for a slice of bread, then you'd know what a decent day of work is worth.

Edited by NHT

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BlackMirage

Where did it say they are striking for more money, read it again, they said the last strike was for a raise not this one.

I used to have a gold card with Thai miles but I cut down useing them some years back due to the service and the increasing prices getting far higher than their competitors. They started to take the attitude of take it or leave it. So I left it, I fly 3 times a year from New Zealand, now with Qantas for $500 less and their schedule gets me into Bangkok in time for my domestic flight to Khone Kaen, with Thai I had to get an hotel for the night.

I must admit this guy has lowered the reputation on Thai Air since he took over.

If the Thai Government were not so high and mighty about them selves they would follow the way top Western Countries employ the right people for a top job, they get a top company to find them the right person with experience. Look how Emirates went when they looked world wide. But they will never lean to stuckup.

• Like 1

They run the airline like the rice pledging scheme ... it's a big source for looting and pilfering for those in power.

We need another expose' about all the free tickets and free services the politicians in power are getting from the airline.

Yingluck and the whole PT are the main offenders.

You want to know how many countries she has been to since she is PM...... I bet she fly 1st class for free.

I can't believe the Thai workers need a raise.... rather, I think many of them should be fired and replaced with less expensive, younger staff... have you seen some of the octogenarian air hostesses in business class?! Worst service ever.... rivaling Northwest and United Airlines for the poorest quality, ugliest fattest in flight crews in the world.

I honestly think workers need to take a hard look in the mirror and think about whether they really deserve more money, or whether they need to retire or work harder and stop looking for charity.... in a successful, sustainable capitalist world, people work for a living... they don't just sit around wanking and complaining to be paid for not doing any work.

Like most posters on this thread, you have not bothered to read the story, just post the usual racist rubbishing of 'Thailand and Thais' for the sake of it.

They are not striking for more money, but rather to oust top management which they say are rubbish..oh hang on that's what most TV posters have been saying..and that they reneged on a promise not to due staff over a dispute last year.

I can only think that most of anti Thai posters don't live here and are only trolls? either that or just plain racist..

• Like 1

I'm going on and on about this, because it seems we have come to a point where we believe mediocrity is excellence... we begin to believe our own bullshit.... we begin to believe we can excel and be paid more by sitting and protesting and blaming others. What happened to working hard for a decent wage?!

No wonder Thailand is a peaceful, third world country.... there are wonderful things about it, but hard working, progressive, honest are NOT three adjectives I associate with the country.... maybe this is what we should strive to be, instead of finger pointing, nose picking whiners.... Let's go forward!!! [Chalerm, can you read this, lols]

I know plenty of hard working Thai people, and yu'p for sure there are plenty that don't,

I wonder just what you would think a fair wage for the day on a Thai construction sight for YOURSELF? I'll wager you would not do it for 300 Baht huh???

Good post..I particularly liked the bit about how Blackmirage2013 would like working for 300 Baht a day. It is posts like his / hers that infuriate me. Capitalism is a failed institution... communism is a failed institution as well. Personally I would like to see Blackmirage2013 work all day in an Issan paddy field for next to nothing and see how he / she likes it. What a condesending, arrogant, smug, self satisfied point of view. Talk to the Walmart workers in the States who are paid such a low rate that they are on food stamps. We have the likes of Blackmirage2013 in Australia by the name of Gina Hangkok who is fast becoming the richest woman in the world...her answer.....pay the Australian workers the same as in Africa ...$12 a day. Or maybe go up to Issan where Doc Marten has a factory and they are working 12 - 14 hour shifts for less than 300 B a day...now how much is a pair of Doc Martens???

I know plenty of hard working Thai people, and yu'p for sure there are plenty that don't,

I wonder just what you would think a fair wage for the day on a Thai construction sight for YOURSELF? I'll wager you would not do it for 300 Baht huh???

Good post..I particularly liked the bit about how Blackmirage2013 would like working for 300 Baht a day. It is posts like his / hers that infuriate me. Capitalism is a failed institution... communism is a failed institution as well. Personally I would like to see Blackmirage2013 work all day in an Issan paddy field for next to nothing and see how he / she likes it. What a condesending, arrogant, smug, self satisfied point of view. Talk to the Walmart workers in the States who are paid such a low rate that they are on food stamps. We have the likes of Blackmirage2013 in Australia by the name of Gina Hangkok who is fast becoming the richest woman in the world...her answer.....pay the Australian workers the same as in Africa ...$12 a day. Or maybe go up to Issan where Doc Marten has a factory and they are working 12 - 14 hour shifts for less than 300 B a day...now how much is a pair of Doc Martens???
If you got something against Doc Marten's then don't buy them! Silly looking shoes to begin with. But let's examine the mobile phone in your pocket...are you claiming all the components and the phone itself contain no sweatshop labor?
  • Like 1

I would suspect, that their decision is politicised, like their other recent protests against the government. Looks, like the union bosses have strong political views and that they are not democratic

...that would be, its clearly a political move, as opposed to the whole workforce being pissed off that Thai is almost broke as a result of obvious mismanagement by the current management team...right?

I remember when i used to search for flights in and out from Sydney to Bangkok on ZUJI.com always had Thai Airlines at the top of the list as the cheaper flight, now they are about 6th down the list, even if they are on the list, some search sights don't even display Thai Airways any more, shame about that.

If you got something against Doc Marten's then don't buy them! Silly looking shoes to begin with. But let's examine the mobile phone in your pocket...are you claiming all the components and the phone itself contain no sweatshop labor?

You miss the point; it's not about whether I like or don't like Doc Martens, nor is it about my mobile, it is however about the idea that in a capitalist economy, the downtrodden and disenfranchised will always be exploited for someone to make a profit. I'm not against profit but with wealth comes social responsibility.

As for Doc martens, I agree..most dopey looking shoes.

You miss the point; it's not about whether I like or don't like Doc Martens, nor is it about my mobile, it is however about the idea that in a capitalist economy, the downtrodden and disenfranchised will always be exploited for someone to make a profit. I'm not against profit but with wealth comes social responsibility.

Ok, so you don't believe in a market-based system for producing the goods and services people need and want to consume. Fair enough...the problem is whenever non-market based systems have been tried, you end up with everyone being poor (except the governing elite). When you have thought up a better economic model for making the goods and services people want to consume at prices they can mostly afford get back to me.

As I said, we can all choose what we purchase or don't based on our beliefs; and that "exploited" factory worker has the choice to seek other employment as well. I also don't think that with wealth comes "social responsibility," whatever that is. In a democratic society, general levels of taxes can be levied to provide for the basic welfare of the populace.

Its actually 500 hundred baht per day that labourers receive on construction sites, and this is quite good money for a worker considering in Thai culture they all live in a family unit normally, food is very very cheap as is accommodation, most either own or rent and gas and electricity is still fairly cheap. Working in the recruitment industry in Bangkok a new grad from a University can only expect between 9-15 thousand baht per month. None of them are paid higher then this amount. Remember they also don't indulge or live lives similar to our own...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am thinking that Thai Smile (cheaper version of Thai Air), the partner airline that flies up here, will be affected also, or will it be only the international flights?

Smile's BKK ground service (agents, baggage & technical services) is provided by Thai Airlines. If the union walks off, Smile and many other airlines who use TG ground services, especially catering, will have problems.

I still fly regularly between BKK and Australia with Thai, mostly in business class , and their fares are normally about the cheapest direct flight apart from other airline's promotions. Other benefit is you can fly into Perth and fly out of Sydney without any ridiculous surcharges. Compared to Qantas, who I also fly, the Thai seats are not as good and although the food is okay the presentation is terrible as are their wines (compared to Qantas). Cabin crew are a line ball call, it really comes down to luck of the draw although both mostly have flight attendants counting down to retirement in business class.

As for the free seat for Thai "VIP's" (I use that term loosely), I have seen it first hand on many flights. Coming out of Sydney on one flight I wanted to buy a Business class upgrade at the airport and was told it was full but I could waitlist. About an hour before the flight left I was told that seats were available and when I got on board found that there were about 15 empty seats. Flight attendant told me they had been help for some Thai Government VIP's who were holidaying in Sydney with their families and who just didn't turn up for the flight.

Once you stopped the direct flight from New York to Bangkok, I promise myself never to fly with them again. For all I care let them go bankrupt.

Not really fair, SQ also stopped the SIN-EWR flights, I do not think anyone is flying the 345's anymore as they just lose money, and there is not another ac capable of that distance.

Being a long time UA flyer I know old and surly flight attendants, and they have just announced cancellation of the Bangkok flight from Tokyo, but I will still fly UA when it works for me.

Overall for me Thai is pretty good, but 95% of my flights with them are in F and C. Yes food has gone downhill and service is very inconsistent but the hard product is good, especially on the A380, ground service and lounged in BKK still very very nice.

I want to see Thai get better and thrive!

the hard product is good, especially on the A380, ground service and lounged in BKK still very very nice.

Unless you travel J. Where the lounge is crap, wine is crap and a lottery for Asian international routes what seat/IFE/Aircraft product you will get.

I still have to fly them sadly the majority of the time due to my scheduling and routings - but now avoid whenever feasible.

Edited by negreanu

I can't believe the Thai workers need a raise.... rather, I think many of them should be fired and replaced with less expensive, younger staff... have you seen some of the octogenarian air hostesses in business class?! Worst service ever.... rivaling Northwest and United Airlines for the poorest quality, ugliest fattest in flight crews in the world.

I honestly think workers need to take a hard look in the mirror and think about whether they really deserve more money, or whether they need to retire or work harder and stop looking for charity.... in a successful, sustainable capitalist world, people work for a living... they don't just sit around wanking and complaining to be paid for not doing any work.

You forgot to mention Air India

Ok, so you don't believe in a market-based system for producing the goods and services people need and want to consume. Fair enough...the problem is whenever non-market based systems have been tried, you end up with everyone being poor (except the governing elite). When you have thought up a better economic model for making the goods and services people want to consume at prices they can mostly afford get back to me.

As I said, we can all choose what we purchase or don't based on our beliefs; and that "exploited" factory worker has the choice to seek other employment as well. I also don't think that with wealth comes "social responsibility," whatever that is. In a democratic society, general levels of taxes can be levied to provide for the basic welfare of the populace.

Well that is not quite true until you have complete freedom of movement of labour and capital.

Doctor martens subcontracts anyway

Most of us won't miss them as we don't use them.

Where the hell did this suddenly come from? First the protests, now this????

Just another excuse to take the day off and not work for Thailand.....

There was an Arab Spring, i guess this is now the Asian Spring

I'd rather call it the Thai Spring; the rest of Indochina and Asia behaves normally ;-)