THAI union firm on Monday shutdown of the airline

webfact

THAI union firm on Monday shutdown of the airline

THAI-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International labour union has reaffirmed its earlier threat to go on strike on Monday to demand the ouster of chairman Amphon Kittiamphon and acting president Chokechai Panyayong.

Mr Damrong Waikanee, the union president, told Thai Rath Online that the THAI staff could not wait any longer to see the company decline any further under the management of Mr Amphon and Mr Chokechai whom the union felt lacking in good governance.

Mr Damrong cited the management’s recent decision to sue four staff members, including Mrs Jamsri Sukchokerat, former union leader, himself and two others, for leading the staff to demand pay rise back in January last year in the Labour Court despite an agreement that the management would not take any legal actions against them.

The union leader, however, maintained he had no personal grudges against the two executives but would like them to heed the opinions of the staff. The “Shutdown TG” move which is due to start on Monday was meant to put an end to the decline and to restore the airline to its front-running position.

Damrong offered his apology to THAI passengers if the “Shutdown TG” operation causes flight delay or cancellation stressing that the national flag carrier badly needs reform.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-union-firm-monday-shutdown-airline/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-07

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thai airlines used to be great but it is now pathetic due entirely to the people running it, they have special seasts for all their cronies etc that are not charged costing the airlines massively, their decisions seem to be based on what an ex pm wants and not whats best fro the company. The ptp have politicized it and are now paying the price, change is long overdue and needs to be done before they go bankrupt, quantas is going through similar in Australia, they need new blood at the top that know what they are doing and to stop the gravy train.

You are blaming the wrong people. TG for most part is heavily dominated by the military. We've had this discussion before. Why does the airline look like it is an employment facility for the Thai air force?

The last good CEO of Thai was Nai Wanglee over 25 years ago. When I came back to Thailand to live in 1986, I flow in on TG. On the comment card in the set in front of me, I wrote a note about the flight and the crew. Within a week I got a hand written letter from Nai Wanglee, thanking me for my comments.

• Like 1

I can't believe the Thai workers need a raise.... rather, I think many of them should be fired and replaced with less expensive, younger staff... have you seen some of the octogenarian air hostesses in business class?! Worst service ever.... rivaling Northwest and United Airlines for the poorest quality, ugliest fattest in flight crews in the world.

I honestly think workers need to take a hard look in the mirror and think about whether they really deserve more money, or whether they need to retire or work harder and stop looking for charity.... in a successful, sustainable capitalist world, people work for a living... they don't just sit around wanking and complaining to be paid for not doing any work.

I agree with you .. but don't think they are asking for a raise. I think their complaints are about how the company is being managed ... with the current Govt appointed "hua na"

• Like 1

thai airlines used to be great but it is now pathetic due entirely to the people running it, they have special seasts for all their cronies etc that are not charged costing the airlines massively, their decisions seem to be based on what an ex pm wants and not whats best fro the company. The ptp have politicized it and are now paying the price, change is long overdue and needs to be done before they go bankrupt, quantas is going through similar in Australia, they need new blood at the top that know what they are doing and to stop the gravy train.

You are blaming the wrong people. TG for most part is heavily dominated by the military. We've had this discussion before. Why does the airline look like it is an employment facility for the Thai air force?

Those aren't the ones I see getting the free tickets

THai has been making losses for years. They finally got a boss who was prepared to make the tough decisions necessary, and he was tossed out (yes the PTP was behind that). Now we have two dim wits leading the airline down the path to bankruptcy. I don't blame the staff/unions for getting angry.

probably run the Airline down so Thaksin can swoop with his Discount Airline.

I'm going on and on about this, because it seems we have come to a point where we believe mediocrity is excellence... we begin to believe our own bullshit.... we begin to believe we can excel and be paid more by sitting and protesting and blaming others. What happened to working hard for a decent wage?!

No wonder Thailand is a peaceful, third world country.... there are wonderful things about it, but hard working, progressive, honest are NOT three adjectives I associate with the country.... maybe this is what we should strive to be, instead of finger pointing, nose picking whiners.... Let's go forward!!! [Chalerm, can you read this, lols]

I know plenty of hard working Thai people, and yu'p for sure there are plenty that don't,

I wonder just what you would think a fair wage for the day on a Thai construction sight for YOURSELF? I'll wager you would not do it for 300 Baht huh???

A Thai can live on 300 baht per day much easier than an American working for minimum wage in the US can.

• Like 2

THai has been making losses for years. They finally got a boss who was prepared to make the tough decisions necessary, and he was tossed out (yes the PTP was behind that). Now we have two dim wits leading the airline down the path to bankruptcy. I don't blame the staff/unions for getting angry.

Perhaps they are driving the prices down so Arisman can add this airline to his fleet.

Most of us won't miss them as we don't use them.

Where the hell did this suddenly come from? First the protests, now this????

Just another excuse to take the day off and not work for Thailand.....

There was an Arab Spring, i guess this is now the Asian Spring

But not to be confused with the current Thailand long weekend.

• Like 2

I'm going on and on about this, because it seems we have come to a point where we believe mediocrity is excellence... we begin to believe our own bullshit.... we begin to believe we can excel and be paid more by sitting and protesting and blaming others. What happened to working hard for a decent wage?!

No wonder Thailand is a peaceful, third world country.... there are wonderful things about it, but hard working, progressive, honest are NOT three adjectives I associate with the country.... maybe this is what we should strive to be, instead of finger pointing, nose picking whiners.... Let's go forward!!! [Chalerm, can you read this, lols]

I know plenty of hard working Thai people, and yu'p for sure there are plenty that don't,

I wonder just what you would think a fair wage for the day on a Thai construction sight for YOURSELF? I'll wager you would not do it for 300 Baht huh???

Most of the workers on a thai construction site at thast level ain't thai, they are Cambodian or Burmese, as thai workers will not do these jobs

I am a Gold Card Royal Orchid holder. I also hold Gold Cards on both Emirates and Etihad.

Long haul to Europe on TG typically cost twice as much on EK or EY (online prices). On top of that, the product is far, far inferior - seats, VOD, service, food, you name it. On the ground, check-in for business class is great - fast track immigration etc. But the TG lounges pale in comparison to EK.

How does TG hope to compete?