Bangkok hotels refuse to return deposit to cancelled tours

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I asked my translator app for the Thai for "farang want refund" and all I got was giggles.

LOL

Yes, that info should be part of a handbook for new tourists to Thailand...Never rent a Jet-ski...Never put yourself in a situation involving physical conflict...Never pre-pay a Thai business person. The rule is that once they have your money it is impossible to pry it out of their hands, whether or not the product or service was delivered.

• Like 1

Great! Hotels contributing to Thailand's image of being totally corrupt.

I'm normally quite quick to bash Thai, but I don't find this corrupt at all. This is exactly the purpose of a deposit. So the hotel will hold the room for you. It's not the hotels fault the tourist didn't come. Whether the tourist is dead, sick, dying or it's because of political upheaval, that is the hotel's right to keep the deposit.

Edited by happysanook
  • Like 1

Why should you condemn the hotels as corrupt for not returning deposits to tourists who cancelled their own bookings after paying a, presumably, non-refundable deposit? Isn't the idea of a deposit to give the hotel some kind of compensation for allocating the room and then not receiving full payment for it?

Who in Thailand cares ... after all .. all those pesky hotel guests are farang ...

Actually, your comment is a bit behind the times.

The bulk of tourists now flooding Thailand come from Asian countries. Less than 30% of tourists in the "top ten" is comprised of "farang" countries.

Farangs don't call the shots anymore when it comes to tourism. Sorry to burst your ethnocentric bubble. whistling.gif

Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 2.06.54 PM.png

Source: Data from Department of Tourism, Ministry of Tourism and sports

Nice to see they still count those 4mn day trippers from Malaysia and Laos.

I don't mind they count tourists. Just why do they persist in not trying to count real tourists.

I'm normally quite quick to bash Thai, but I don't find this corrupt at all. This is exactly the purpose of a deposit. So the hotel will hold the room for you. It's not the hotels fault the tourist didn't come. Whether the tourist is dead, sick, dying or it's because of political upheaval, that is the hotel's right to keep the deposit.

Bla bla bla.

Normally there is a cut off beyond which it becomes non refundable. This is not mentioned in the article. But normally if you cancel with a few days notice, you get your deposit back. I fact, on the internet these days, there is no deposit to pay.

Where is the corruption? People pay for bookings so that when they turn up, they know they have a room. Most hotels will give refunds, but will deduct an administration fee. That is the same all over the world.

Lets have a think, shall we?

Let's say / pretend, I book a room and a TOUR in a hotel in BKK.

I pay deposit - ( as is standard practice all over the world) then suddenly BKK is plunged into political turmoil.

Me - being a foreigner and not resident in BKK and probably getting an albeit lop-sided view of what is going in BKK, might feel uneasy to say the least, about coming into BKK.

So I call up and cancel - not because I can't come because Aunt Mabel is having her 3rd wedding ceremony on the booked dates, or I changed my mind - but because I am afraid for myself and my family.

This is a unique situation which requires understanding from the hoteliers and management thereof.

Some hotels ARE returning deposits.

WHY?

Could it possibly be that they actually UNDERSTAND the reasons for a cancellation?

Or are they wrong to refund?

For some people - coming to Thailand is the holiday of a lifetime. They are not coming back year in and year out - and they may well never actually make it now due to the current situation.

If I was manager of a hotel in BKK - I would definitely try to help my potential clients and support them.

You however, might not.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Just don't apply for a job in one of my establishments!

That doesn't make it corruption.

I beg to differ.

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread - I think it CONTRIBUTES to peoples view of a corrupt Thailand - and I actually think that it IS a form of corruption.

Greed corrupts. This is to do with greed. Its a corrupt way of thinking. Its a deviation away from good values and appreciation of the plight of our fellow man.

Everything in Thailand is about the money money money - its disgusting, exhausting, draining, pitiful, tiring and reprehensible.

Because the system is corrupt - there's very little chance of anyone getting their money back - because they just don't give a toss.

This is a major weakness in Thai people and EXACTLY why the country is so completely and deeply screwed up now.

Here's a newsflash. IT WILL NEVER CHANGE. ITS IN THEIR DNA NOW AND HEAVEN HELP EVERY MAN WHO COMES WITH A COUNTRY MILE OF THAILAND.

Calm down there's no need to shout.

I hear you

Doubt corruption's involved, just the usual 'We've had your money' dry.png[/quote

Sure -but that in and of itself is a form of corruption. It's corrupt thinking. It's to do with greed and yes – we have your money/ you are not getting it back. It's deviation from truth and honesty. It just goes to contribute to a foreign perspective of why Thailand it's failing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You mean the Thais didn't deviate from truth and honesty before!!!!!!!!cheesy.gif

Lets have a think, shall we?

Let's say / pretend, I book a room and a TOUR in a hotel in BKK.

I pay deposit - ( as is standard practice all over the world) then suddenly BKK is plunged into political turmoil.

Me - being a foreigner and not resident in BKK and probably getting an albeit lop-sided view of what is going in BKK, might feel uneasy to say the least, about coming into BKK.

So I call up and cancel - not because I can't come because Aunt Mabel is having her 3rd wedding ceremony on the booked dates, or I changed my mind - but because I am afraid for myself and my family.

This is a unique situation which requires understanding from the hoteliers and management thereof.

Some hotels ARE returning deposits.

WHY?

Could it possibly be that they actually UNDERSTAND the reasons for a cancellation?

Or are they wrong to refund?

For some people - coming to Thailand is the holiday of a lifetime. They are not coming back year in and year out - and they may well never actually make it now due to the current situation.

If I was manager of a hotel in BKK - I would definitely try to help my potential clients and support them.

You however, might not.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Just don't apply for a job in one of my establishments!

That doesn't make it corruption.

I beg to differ.

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread - I think it CONTRIBUTES to peoples view of a corrupt Thailand - and I actually think that it IS a form of corruption.

Greed corrupts. This is to do with greed. Its a corrupt way of thinking. Its a deviation away from good values and appreciation of the plight of our fellow man.

Everything in Thailand is about the money money money - its disgusting, exhausting, draining, pitiful, tiring and reprehensible.

Because the system is corrupt - there's very little chance of anyone getting their money back - because they just don't give a toss.

This is a major weakness in Thai people and EXACTLY why the country is so completely and deeply screwed up now.

Here's a newsflash. IT WILL NEVER CHANGE. ITS IN THEIR DNA NOW AND HEAVEN HELP EVERY MAN WHO COMES WITH A COUNTRY MILE OF THAILAND.

Calm down there's no need to shout.

I hear you

Corruption is a criminal offence in Thailand and most other countries. Financial corruption usually comes in the form of bribes or kickbacks, which is illegal, or simply from skimming accounts, which is of course also illegal.

Not refunding money voluntarily paid to you by a customer is not a criminal offence. It may or may not be subject to a civil lawsuit depending on the details of the contract if any, and it may or may not be bad business practice, but it is not a crime and it has nothing to do with corruption - which is a crime.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

Happened to me too one time. Circumstances forced me to move out. Owner promised me my deposit back. I never got and only after I kept pestering him he was willing me to give half of my money back with some pathetic excuse that business was going so bad.

It gets annoying sometimes how everything in Thailand revolves around money.

I empathize with you. From my travels around the planet, the places I have visited have much in common with the revolving money game. I prefer to move on if I don't get what I consider value for money spent.

Doubt corruption's involved, just the usual 'We've had your money' dry.png[/quote

Sure -but that in and of itself is a form of corruption. It's corrupt thinking. It's to do with greed and yes we have your money/ you are not getting it back. It's deviation from truth and honesty. It just goes to contribute to a foreign perspective of why Thailand it's failing right now.

You mean the Thais didn't deviate from truth and honesty before!!!!!!!!cheesy.gif

Dishonesty and being untruthful is not a Thai phenomenon. It is practiced in every country I have lived and visited. It is merely more visible since I live here.

Travel insurance always works for me.

Probably ought to check the fine print. All the travel insurance policies I've ever had specifically exclude acts of war and (if I recall the wording) civil disorder, or riots, or some such catch-all.

Doubt corruption's involved, just the usual 'We've had your money' dry.png

Actually, it depends on the terms and conditions; specifically, the published cancellation policy. Normally, a last minute cancellation is nonrefundable. A 72 hour cancellation may typically refund all but 20% of the deposit. Up to a week, all might be refunded except for the first night's rack rate. More than two weeks out, if nothing in the contract says otherwise, a full refund less a nominal service charge is in order. But it depends what the published policy of the property or any association the belong to states.

Sure -but that in and of itself is a form of corruption. It's corrupt thinking. It's to do with greed and yes – we have your money/ you are not getting it back. It's deviation from truth and honesty. It just goes to contribute to a foreign perspective of why Thailand it's failing right now.

Isn't that the very nature of a deposit though? Part of the money up front, in case you decide not to come?

It's arguable that it would be better, from a PR perspective, to return deposits in these circumstances, but it's hardly corruption if they don't.

Who in Thailand cares ... after all .. all those pesky hotel guests are farang ...

Those pesky hotel tour group guests are in fact 95% Asian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam etc.

So its not the Farang that its sending the wrong message to its their main Asian tour group clientèle.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

I always like the expression here called mouth of tiger. Meaning once you put food in the tiger's mouth

it is not being pulled back out.... But in this case refusing to refund money to people who are afraid

of demonstrations is simply being foolish. To refund money would not actually cost the hotels one baht,

and would look great for the travel industry.

What is the point of a deposit? Not a good PR thing for the hotels who don't want to refund but likely they are legally or contractually correct with their contract with the tour companies who gave the deposit. Wonder what agreement the tour companies have with their clients in terms of refunds. I would bet many are not giving refunds to their clients but instead offering them future trips. This certainly is not a reflection on Thailand but simply just a matter of how business (designed to be profitable) is done.

• Like 1

If I book a hotel and subsequently cancel then I expect to lose some money, if not all in some instances.

I generally book with agoda and the hotels all have different cancellation policies. You need to read the small print before you book. It's not hard and saves lots of bellyaching on TV later on.

Those pesky hotel tour group guests are in fact 95% Asian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam etc.

So its not the Farang that its sending the wrong message to its their main Asian tour group clientèle.

but there are another half billion who will soon be rich enough to afford a cheap tour of Thailand.

The Japanese always cancel at the first sign of trouble. The Chinese will be back, maybe demanding better terms next time. Asian tourists are very resilient.

noitom: my travel insurance coverage is comprehensive and excess free. Play the game or lose your money.

I only go away twice a year but I purchase advance annual travel insurance for my wife and I at a small premium. I'm covered for eventualities you haven't even considered, including motorbikes.

This isn't about Thais stiffing people as it's the same the world over. You're ranting with no idea how to cover your investment.

If you can't afford decent insurance then don't moan when it goes belly up. The world obviously owes you a living, tsk.

• Like 1