Local chefs/cooks toilet sink behaviour?

Khon Thai Ben Khon Dee

What's your take on it?

Today we went to a little cobblestoned plaza with the likes of Yayoi and these other Japanese style franchises for the want to be higher mid-so's.

I went to the bathroom and a cook/chef from one of them came out of the cubicle, went to the sink, didn't even turn on the tap, instead staying there for maybe 20 seconds which he spent flicking through his hair and picking/probing at his face, then left.

Given the local toilet culture it's quite possible he defecated, used his hand to wipe his @ss, then went back to preparing customer's food without washing his hands.

What's your take on this sort of behavior?

• Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention flies around the place, chicken, pork, fish and everything else stuffed in a box next to each other and a myriad of other sins that would have your average western food safety inspector weeping into his hair net.

The funny thing is I have never really had a problem from eating out here in 5 years of relatively adventurous eating. I guess if it's cooked enough then it's not a problem, even if it does turn your stomach to think of it. Though I wouldn't probably rush to order from that shop.

Kitchens have their own basins for hand cleaning and usually also desinfectant-liquid.

Maybe he skipped hand washing there because of this.

The problem in central is that there are no adequate means to dry the hands after washing, they only got this thin paper that disintegrates when it does contact with wet hands.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

There's a mobile roti cart that parks up every night by the 7-11 opposite where we live.

Couple of times a night the guy will disappear into the small area of woodland to strain his greens and return to roll and serve up his special ammonia infused roti to an unsuspecting clientele.

Guess 'what you don't know won't kill ya' roti fans

Edited by jkinbkk
  • Like 1

Kitchens have their own basins for hand cleaning and usually also desinfectant-liquid.

The problem in central is that there are no adequate means to dry the hands after washing, they only got this thin paper that disintegrates when it does contact with wet hands.

sure evry kitchen in Thailand got those basins/ desinfectants and every cook(don't call'em chefs) are using it properly......

Come on guys at least they cover their nose like surgeons do with their patients.

So it is not so bad after all.

And let's not go near food carts that's another topic.

Nose picking

Flees pickins

Money handling

Toe nail clippings

Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Germs are not the enemy, you don't protect yourself by waging war on your environment but by maintaining a strong immune system.

You're constantly surrounded by, and host to, thousands and thousands of species of bacteria all day long, many of them active pathogens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magazine/say-hello-to-the-100-trillion-bacteria-that-make-up-your-microbiome.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ultimate-social-network-bacteria-protects-health/

http://discovermagazine.com/galleries/zen-photo/m/microbiome#.UvTk7XW-QX4

Modern science is only just now starting to scratch the surface of understanding how our physical bodies work with all these mutually beneficial organisms.

Live and let live. . .

Edited by wym

sure evry kitchen in Thailand got those basins/ desinfectants and every cook(don't call'em chefs) are using it properly......

*sarcasm detected*

Not every kitchen in Thailand, but I think the kitchens of large restaurant chains are equipped.

Just wanted to point out that there are other washing options than in the mall's toilets.

Oh just make sure you take good care of your immune system and in return will do what it is supposed to do.

Yes including putting it under stress - over-sterilized lifestyle in the west - especially the US is responsible IMO for the epidemics in immune-related syndromes other countries don't have.

Lactose, gluten intolerance

Peanut allergies

Asthma

ADD/ADHD

susceptibilities to addictions

and probably many more

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Oh just make sure you take good care of your immune system and in return will do what it is supposed to do.

Yes including putting it under stress - over-sterilized lifestyle in the west - especially the US is responsible IMO for the epidemics in immune-related syndromes other countries don't have.

Lactose, gluten intolerance

Peanut allergies

Asthma

ADD/ADHD

susceptibilities to addictions

and probably many more

Agree with this, but I wouldn't go as far as having the chefs fecal matter or zit produce on my sushi.

Whoever said "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" had obviously never had cholera.

Edited by NBD
  • Like 1

Well this problem exists all over the world.

If you worry about it that much - and I'm saying we shouldn't - then you have to take control over your own food chain.

B&Ming about it online isn't going to help either way.

And wrt cholera, actually having it once does build up immunity, we haven't figured out how to reproduce that with a good vaccine yet.

For myself I'll keep eating street food thanks. . .

*sarcasm detected*

Not every kitchen in Thailand, but I think the kitchens of large restaurant chains are equipped.

Just wanted to point out that there are other washing options than in the mall's toilets.

yes you are right.but i stll have to remind my staff constantly to use 'em.

hub of: hub of: hub of: for the first and possibly second time I saw a "joke" using this line, it was almost vaguely amusing. however, after 300 or 400 times, it gets pretty old. do some guys actually find this humorous?

Edited by alfalfa19
  • Like 1

why would he use his hand to wipe his ass... was the bum gun out of order ?

Given the local toilet culture it's quite possible he defecated, used his hand to wipe his @ss, then went back to preparing customer's food without washing his hands.

Interesting that you've done such an extensive study of toilet culture in men's rooms and that, based on your "investigations" you are able to imagine what typically takes place in the stall.

bathroom%2Bsign%2Bpeeping.png

If you ever worked in a restaurant in the west as a summer job or whatever, you'd have seen (and probably done) worse.

polls_food_on_floor_3211_823965_answer_1

Chain restaurants, as have been mentioned many times before, are often the least hygienic of food outlets. The workers are untrained, often unsupervised, uneducated, minimum wage, economic migrants from rural villages. They have no stake in the success of the restaurant and may well feel no empathy with the customer. The food may sit around all day particularly in places that make sandwiches or buffet type places. They look plastic and shiny but don't be fooled.

On the other hand, grotty-looking sole trader stalls have a 100% vested interest in repeat custom and are much more likely to employ basic food hygiene measures.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Sadly, this is a tale that most of us have heard or seen before. Whether it is laziness or anger (I'll spit in his burger) it happens all over the word. You pay your money and tske your chance.

My better half always looks carefully at the vendors rather than the food before she buys.

Wow, Thailand is not hygienic? Ever try the Philippines or Cambodia? Ever really look in the kitchens of the restaurants in your home country?--yeah there are laws, but the laws are here too, who, where, and when are they enforced.