Suthep accused of buying land with donation money

webfact

I am not sure what's worse, the thought of Suthep stealing donation money or ThaiVisa members remaining adamant that this isn't something he would do. Why all this "you're a red, I'm a yellow" BS. If you've lived here for any noteworthy period of time, you'll know the real tragedy of this political nonsense is that no matter who gets put in the hot seat or sits on the "peoples elected council" will be stepping up with the primary concern of escalating their personal (and family) wealth. The working man always loses. Come back and visit this thread in 5 years and tell me if anything has changed.

Moreover, do some asking around with Thais who really know their politics and they'll tell you that Suthep is a difficult man to trust since this whole "I'm an honest man of the people" stuff is a complete u-turn on his past character. He is no angel.

• Like 2

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Thai facebook, Suthep's son confirmed that he & friend bought it.

However he said that they already agreed to buy and paid a small deposit in June 2013.

They only recently transfer the land, in a second attempt; all payment in traceable cashier cheques, and not cash (apart for the tax).

1st time the land was closed by the protesters, and has to be postponed.

During the 2nd time, due to prior arrangement, the government office came to performance their duties, completed their transaction, and he paid all the tax.

He also post that there was no corruption used. All the money was his own, and his wife hard earn saving money.

Oh, the son wrote on his Facebook page that this is all legitimate? Ok, everyone should forget about it then, it must be true if it's on Facebook. Well done to them for being able to save 10'million usd from their hard work at such a young age
Yingluck writes on Facebook and it's fact. Sutheps son writes on Facebook and it's illegitimate ..... wow.

Also what's that about such a young age!! The son is late 30's.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hard earned savings of 280 million Baht. What does this guy work again? He signed the contract in 2013 and only paid a small deposit. Daddy told him to wait until early 2014. When I get the money from the dumb street donors you can finalize the land deal.

What is the accusation trying to cause?

If 'well-wishers' donate to the 'keep suthep happy fund' why is the opposition concerned about what he used it for?

Don't supposed you keep track of the money you have donated in your lifetime... It's like giving to charities and demanding a monthly statement!!!

somtam palah

Let me get this right. The protests are supposedly costing 10 million baht a day. The protesters are collecting donations once or twice a week.

Do people seriously believe that more than 30 million baht is being collected in donations each time the protesters go on a walk?

Edit: I should have said "do any SMART people". There are obviously a few "others" that do by the look of this thread.

Yu'p sorry mate,

But you seem to have forgotten to mention all that cash that's been collected around the country with long lines of people walking along roads, into shops, restaurants, etc, blowing whistle's screeching on loud speaker's, collecting all that so-far undeclared cash stuffed into them bags in different provinces and those seen NOT DONATING cash in said provinces are well and truly taken note of for future reference,

Then there is the other financial backers that have vested interests for future as not to many people give money away for nothing, then there is the others with vested future interests that supply services also at a TAX right off, so I'm just thinking just how much of that lovely free cash is uncle Suthep is actually using for what exactly???

Do y'a really think it's costing 10,000,000 per day now??? if so I hope your not an accountantwhistling.gifblink.pngw00t.gif

• Like 1

If 'well-wishers' donate to the 'keep suthep happy fund' why is the opposition concerned about what he used it for?

Don't supposed you keep track of the money you have donated in your lifetime... It's like giving to charities and demanding a monthly statement!!!

somtam palah

Under Thai law, you are required to declare donations you received, the amount and who you received it from, unless you are a registered charity, which he is not.

Where is Suthep's bookkeeping on the donations? I haven't seen him writing down every single name of every single person who gives him 20 or 100 or 1,000 Baht.

He just grabs the money from their hands, smiles and walks to the next one.

Edited by jackrich
  • Like 1

It has always amazed me that no one has looked into where all those donations go. That would be a story for a real news reporter.

People can't really believe they are "supporting the cause". This campaign has more money behind it than most of us can ever dream for.

And you know this, how exactly?

He was riding the high crest of the wave and genuinely believed that he was the diamond-eyed son of the Revolution. I would guess that he counted his proto-chickens too early, and felt that the protest/overthrow/coup business was bound to succeed and in the aftermath he could ensure that his Council did not bother checking such trivial matters as acts of grand larceny committed against impressionable old ladies, nurses and students etc. I base this guess on his rhetoric which has been positively sky-balling, he sounded like the coup was already a done deal. But alas he is not the People's Poet, at worst he is a paid operative and at best he is a common crook. Always be careful who you give donations to!

Well, you would know about rhetoric .... Diamond eyed son of the revolution... People's poet!?

:)

They're desperate to divert our attention from all their own graft, loss of face and ineptitude. Pathetic PTP.

Yes those peasants just embarrass themselves by asking things like that. They just don't understand that it's normal for the elites to have a spare 280 million baht sitting around outside of the bank for small purchases of land.

Edited by Time Traveller

somtam palah

Under Thai law, you are required to declare donations you received, the amount and who you received it from, unless you are a registered charity, which he is not.

Where is Suthep's bookkeeping on the donations? I haven't seen him writing down every single name of every single person who gives him 20 or 100 or 1,000 Baht.

He just grabs the money from their hands, smiles and walks to the next one.

It must be fresh from the little red book of accounting I would think

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Busted. Fingers in the honey pot and stuck.

The anti corruption movement leader - corrupt himself? Oh no...

Busted by PT and their convicted spokesperson?? Jacky you are sooo funny.

What is the Puea Thai spokesperson convicted of?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prompong-convicted-of-libel-30187360.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688447-pheu-thai-spokesman-prompong-gets-one-year-imprisonment-without-suspension/

You have a lot to say for somebody who doesn't know that much Jacky..

July 31, 2012 1:13 pm

The Criminal Court on Tuesday found Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit and codefendant Kiatudom Menasahwat guilty of libel and handed down one year jail terms suspended for two years as it was a first offence.

Guess he has a good chance now to get his suspension revoked? It is still within the 2 years, since his other offence. But then, nothing will happen. He is a politician and on top of that his party is currently in charge of "taking care".

Well, the suthep book of accounting would be a best seller I would imagine.

He must be some accountant,

if he had 347 Million baht debt against 210 million baht assets in 2012,

Suthep, meanwhile, was seen as the poorest member of the former Cabinet in terms of outstanding debts, which stand at Bt347.578 million compared to assets worth Bt210.95 million. Upon leaving office a year ago, Suthep declared assets worth Bt95.64 million compared to Bt81.607 million he had upon taking office. The former minister said the huge difference was due to the Bt267.33 million loans he had taken, including Bt248.57 million borrowed from the Islamic Bank of Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Korn-declared-richest-Democrat-while-Sutheps-debts-30191739.html

320 Million baht debt in 2014,

But the NACC revealed further that the former Surat Thani MP Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee, had more debt than asset.

Suthep has 210 million baht asset but has 320 million baht debts.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nacc-says-yingluck-richer-suthep-poorer/

and in January still managed to find 280 million baht to buy land.

The Islamic Bank of Thailand must be very understanding as well, I think, but who knows, perhaps he bought the land for the Bank, perhaps they need a new Head Office in the south?

Edited by fab4

Suthep has also been found responsible for murders of red shits in 2010. The Constitutional Court has found him responsible also for the murder of the Italian journalist. The DSI and police have agreed to file murder charges on him, according to public Internet sources. Yet there he is basking in the glory of turning Thailand in to a circus and bringing Bangkok to a halt. No one mentions Suthep's charges or past public information. Thailand is a very strange place.

Unless I am mistaken he has NOT "been found responsible for murder .....". He is accused of it by TS's bulldog Tarit who managed to get countless cases accepted against Suthep and Abhisit. That was at a time when they thought this would be a successful way to keep the Democrat's leaders busy and make them "non-functional" (which was not necessary as they are useless anyway). In summary: He is accused (for reasons one would have to ask TS who probably instructed Tarit to do so) of murder, not "found responsible".

Thailand is surely strange. Sons' of politicians might murder policemen and still, they do not spend more than 6 months in prison and the father can still be back in highest positions. The son of a very rich person can drive his Ferrari over a policeman and has he now been charged??? I have no doubt that after they have paid everybody who wants money for it, he will also never see the inside of a jail for a prolonged period of time. And the list can go on and on and on.

Last not least, while the political parties have nothing in their mind than getting or staying in power and do not care how Thailand suffers because they are not willing to govern for ALL Thais, including those who did not vote for them (what is what a Government is supposed to do!!!), the Farangs here are doing exactly the same. My side is less corrupt than your side; your side has more stupid voters than my side; etc. etc. trying to whiten the "own side" and smear the other.

There is no way that with this kind of behavior of ALL sides (and just look at the nonsense discussions that often take place here at TV, just reflecting the same BS we are seeing in Thai politics) that the situation can be solved peacefully in the not so far future.

Edited by ineu
  • Like 1

Suthep, meanwhile, was seen as the poorest member of the former Cabinet in terms of outstanding debts, which stand at Bt347.578 million compared to assets worth Bt210.95 million. Upon leaving office a year ago, Suthep declared assets worth Bt95.64 million compared to Bt81.607 million he had upon taking office. The former minister said the huge difference was due to the Bt267.33 million loans he had taken, including Bt248.57 million borrowed from the Islamic Bank of Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Korn-declared-richest-Democrat-while-Sutheps-debts-30191739.html

But the NACC revealed further that the former Surat Thani MP Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee, had more debt than asset.

The Islamic Bank of Thailand must be very understanding as well, I think, but who knows, perhaps he bought the land for the Bank, perhaps they need a new Head Office in the south?

He's proved to be a master at attacking corrupt government

He may have been good at bookkeeping

He doesn't seem to good at managing his assets

I believe I read something about him selling assets to fund this campaign.

This will probably prove to be a transfer of assets to his kids to circumvent an anticipated freezing of accounts

He has the debts, kids have the assets and if he gets an Ekayuth then all is well financially

Busted. Fingers in the honey pot and stuck.

The anti corruption movement leader - corrupt himself? Oh no...

Busted by PT and their convicted spokesperson?? Jacky you are sooo funny.

You dont think it is possible Nicky????? I would not be surprised. he thinks he can get away with murder so why not this?????

What has Suthep's finances got to do with his son's?

Are your and your father's finances connected?

• Like 1

The land was apparently bought by his son though. I wonder if what Korn told Jonathan Head is true, that Suthep had sold a lot of land to finance this movement. I find it unlikely, but if it is true, did he declare it in his assets? Because according to the above, he had 210 million assets in Oct 2012 and still had 210 mio at the end of 2013. So that means if we assume both Suthep and Korn were being honest, he would've had to both gain the land and sell it sometime in between these two dates? Assets are valued at purchase, of course, so Suthep's land at current price could be worth a billion for all I know, but it's still surprising that the two figures would be exactly the same if he had been selling land.

Anyway, someone should audit the Islamic Bank of Thailand. Is it common for them to lend such huge sums? I mean legally they're not allowed to pay or receive interest. There must be a loophole in Islamic law.

Let me get this right. The protests are supposedly costing 10 million baht a day. The protesters are collecting donations once or twice a week.

Do people seriously believe that more than 30 million baht is being collected in donations each time the protesters go on a walk?

Edit: I should have said "do any SMART people". There are obviously a few "others" that do by the look of this thread.

Hey, if each one of those 6 million gave just a thousand each... but seriously, I do wonder what the total amount donated is, given it's obviously not just going to be people on the street donating. There will still be bank accounts where wealthy backers can donate money to the movement. The people that are really holding the serious money won't even be publicly known I'd guess.

Anyway, I doubt Suthep's son purchased the land with donations. Not because I don't think they're corrupt enough, but rather because I doubt they're that stupid. The risk of being found out is too great.

Note that Prompong actually said: 'There has already been rumour about whatever happened to 2 billion baht of donation Mr. Suthep has received' - so he's framed this in the way that suggests all he's doing is merely commenting on a rumour. He's not saying he knows for sure that the land purchase and the donations are connected because that could lead to another defamation charge. However, he has nevertheless succeeded in planting the idea in people's heads that the two things are connected. Dirty politics, of course, but Suthep himself has played the same game plenty of times so don't feel too sorry for him.

"Not because I don't think they're corrupt enough, but rather because I doubt they're that stupid. The risk of being found out is too great."

Implicitly a renewed character assassination because you suggest that if they could get away with it they might give it a try.

Hey, if each one of those 6 million gave just a thousand each... but seriously, I do wonder what the total amount donated is, given it's obviously not just going to be people on the street donating. There will still be bank accounts where wealthy backers can donate money to the movement. The people that are really holding the serious money won't even be publicly known I'd guess.

Anyway, I doubt Suthep's son purchased the land with donations. Not because I don't think they're corrupt enough, but rather because I doubt they're that stupid. The risk of being found out is too great.

Note that Prompong actually said: 'There has already been rumour about whatever happened to 2 billion baht of donation Mr. Suthep has received' - so he's framed this in the way that suggests all he's doing is merely commenting on a rumour. He's not saying he knows for sure that the land purchase and the donations are connected because that could lead to another defamation charge. However, he has nevertheless succeeded in planting the idea in people's heads that the two things are connected. Dirty politics, of course, but Suthep himself has played the same game plenty of times so don't feel too sorry for him.

"Not because I don't think they're corrupt enough, but rather because I doubt they're that stupid. The risk of being found out is too great."

Implicitly a renewed character assassination because you suggest that if they could get away with it they might give it a try.

I'm not sure I need to assassinate Suthep's character. Given his much discussed past, it would hardly be a surprise. And given Prompong's past I wouldn't put it past him to completely make something up either (or is that also character assassination?). However, I wouldn't just assume he did it unless I'd seen some evidence and of that there is none. There's only evidence to suggest land was bought by his son, nothing more. One reason I don't think he did it is because his backers wouldn't be very pleased if they learned that he was siphoning money off and I doubt he'd want to chance getting on the wrong side of them.

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

Just wondering what suthep needed loans of 267 Million baht for. He's only paid back about 27 million, he hasn't upgraded his assets (supposedly) so where's the money? Perhaps he "lent" it to his son to buy the land so the land is in his son's name and not his? Just a thought.

Edited by fab4

What a funny thread, so some think its all perfectly normal for someone with more debt than assets to have a massive Loan greater than the asset Value, a son thats up for land dodgy dealing and a miraculous 280 million ... thats about 5 million £ just hanging around.

If you don't think the father has anything to do with the son or this isnt worth looking seriously and deeply into in light of who Suthep is, his background and his current demands and claims vs others you must be a total crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif either that or post-4641-1156694083.gif.pagespeed.ce.HF

• Like 1

I am sure any Thai with no assets like Suthep could go to the bank and borrow 200 million Baht for unspecified reasons.

Either he would need to know the bank director and give him some money, or he has assets that are undeclared and the bank director knows about.

Oh wait, but then that would be corruption, wouldn't it?

Just wondering what suthep needed loans of 267 Million baht for. He's only paid back about 27 million, he hasn't upgraded his assets (supposedly) so where's the money? Perhaps he "lent" it to his son to buy the land so the land is in his son's name and not his? Just a thought.

You could and should equally ask. The government sold the rice so where's the money? Or the government bought some clocks why for twice the price?

Suthep is far from lily white. BUT this latest Phua Thai "truth " seems lacking in substance!

I am sure any Thai with no assets like Suthep could go to the bank and borrow 200 million Baht for unspecified reasons.

Either he would need to know the bank director and give him some money, or he has assets that are undeclared and the bank director knows about.

Jack. Do you know Suthep's bank manager?

otherwise how do you know it was for an "unspecified reason"?

Maybe he bought one or two of Chalerms car's. Now there is an asset declaration worthy of an investigation.

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 2

Jack. Do you know Suthep's bank manager?

otherwise how do you know it was for an "unspecified reason"?

Maybe he bought one or two of Chalerms car's. Now there is an asset declaration worthy of an investigation.

Nice move. Instead of facing the facts, deflect the issue. Just like Abhisit and the Democrats.

The point here is that nobody can borrow 200 million Baht without backing it up with assets. The bank doesn't just give out 200 million without knowing that you can ever pay it back.

And with Suthep having declared only debts, not assets, how can he borrow an additional 200 million?

In Thai facebook, Suthep's son confirmed that he & friend bought it.

However he said that they already agreed to buy and paid a small deposit in June 2013.

They only recently transfer the land, in a second attempt; all payment in traceable cashier cheques, and not cash (apart for the tax).

1st time the land was closed by the protesters, and has to be postponed.

During the 2nd time, due to prior arrangement, the government office came to performance their duties, completed their transaction, and he paid all the tax.

He also post that there was no corruption used. All the money was his own, and his wife hard earn saving money.

Oh, the son wrote on his Facebook page that this is all legitimate? Ok, everyone should forget about it then, it must be true if it's on Facebook. Well done to them for being able to save 10'million usd from their hard work at such a young age

Being a redshirt supporter, we'd think you'd be supportive of facebook as a vehicle since your beloved PM runs the government that way.

I wonder if this case is related or just another Suthep-linked scamn....

July 04 2012. The Nation

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said yesterday it would issue a summons next week against Tan Thaugsuban - a son of Democrat heavyweight Suthep - and two partners accused of involvement in an alleged land grabbing scheme at Khao Phaeng mountain on Koh Samui.

It is a tit for tat land accusation scam as was done in reciprocity to Thaksin's nominees on Samui a few years earlier. Both sides accuse the other of 'improprieties' that are regularly done S.O.P. by most Thai investors here. Selective land rule enforcement is normal. It is easy enough to find a compliant land office person to say what is needed, true or not, and the other side finds a different one, everybody gets rich, screws their political nemessi, and both land office guys do lunch together on their profits from the infighting.

But the NACC revealed further that the former Surat Thani MP Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the Peoples Democratic Reform Committee, had more debt than asset.

According to the regulations he must report the assets of his family to the NACC and not only his own. Thus his sons puchase of such an expensive piece of land is strange plus how did the land transfer go through if the land office was shutdown ?