Bus Discrimination

T_Dog

Ran into a tour operator in Chiang Mai that was advertising great VIP bus rates from Chiang Mai to Ko Chang. When we went to book, the operator said my wife and step son were not eligible as the bus was only for foreigners. We tried to get an explanation but ended up leaving with no tickets and no idea what is going on. Has anyone run into this that can explain the rules, regulations, or agreements that are at play here?

No, it can't be. It is only the poor hard working farang who gets regularly done over in Thailand.

Thai's being refused service by those in the hospitailty and services industry in their own country - say it ain't so!

Acutually, it happens a bit.

The tour company may want to have more control over their passengers than they would have if your wife and son were along to translate.

For what purpose though? I even offered to pay more for my wife and stepson as the price for me was so low.

The tour company may want to have more control over their passengers than they would have if your wife and son were along to translate.

For what purpose though? I even offered to pay more for my wife and stepson as the price for me was so low.

Control and most likely stealing, possibly drugging the passengers via the free cokes offered...as another poster said, this is made much more problematic with Thais on board. Farangs are much easier to manipulate and control.

T-Dog , you had a lucky escape. Farangs often carry plenty of money / phones / laptops with them. Once drugged and/or asleep you and / or your luggage are then robed. With Thais on board its more difficult as they are mainly aware of this and can call / talk to police. Happens on cheap rides from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

T-Dog , you had a lucky escape. Farangs often carry plenty of money / phones / laptops with them. Once drugged and/or asleep you and / or your luggage are then robed. With Thais on board its more difficult as they are mainly aware of this and can call / talk to police. Happens on cheap rides from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Years ago those stories appeared fairly often, but have not heard of any recent hijinks like that. A "break-down" in the middle of nowhere and suitcases go missing. My wife tried to get the straight story from the tour operator but not much was forthcoming. She got a real bad feeling about the whole deal, rightly so.

• Like 1

Yeah. Happened to me to attempting to take VIP from Krabi to BKK - would not take wife (even with me) - only for foreigners. OK for the foreigner to travel on the Thai bus though. There was no way they would shift from this position, no matter what I offered.... and yes I agree - Avoid VIP for all sorts of reasons!

Edited by Iamemjay

blink.png Really?....I never heard about that before. Not saying it's BS but never heard that one, you got any links to news articles and so forth?.

The bus company makes money by stopping the bus 20 km short of destination and arranging accommodation and tours there. No point with Thais, they would ask too many difficult questions.

Theft from bags is very, very possible.

Also stopping along the way at designated shops and restaurants for commission.

These buses are totally unregulated, unlicensed and illegal. Safety standards are much lower than on buses operating under govt. concessions.

• Like 2

blink.png Really?....I never heard about that before. Not saying it's BS but never heard that one, you got any links to news articles and so forth?.

I do remember some Thai Visa threads from many years ago. Doubt any of the events ever made it into the news.

At the Old Southern Bus Terminal, I.ve seen young Thai,s shut in with a Hammock, in the Baggage Section,s plenty of times. Too easy to go through bags, if you were that way inclined. Thats why I always carry P/Port and wallet on me.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/03/23/more-bus-drivers-caught-stealing-from-passengers/

if link is not allowed, just google "Thai bus operator steals from sleeping passengers"

• Like 1

Remarkable thread. Man cannot book bus ticket because the bus company intend to drug the whole bus and steal all their belongings. Only on Thaivisa...

Of course, these things happen ONLY to very special people on this earth.

Is there a word to describe this phobia in the dictionary?

Remarkable thread. Man cannot book bus ticket because the bus company intend to drug the whole bus and steal all their belongings. Only on Thaivisa...

Not the drugging or all belongings, but valuables, yes. This has been going on for years and years.

Plus dropping off people in the middle of nowhere, keeping people hostage to force them to bo0ok accommodation, etc.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

So double pricing again in thailand...but this time it's the locals who pay more not the foreigners....amazing...clap2.gif

Until you find your laptop went missing or pay a few thousand baht more for a room. Still surprises me that this scam is still running.

I didn't realise that there was a direct VIP-bus from Chiang Mai to Koh Chang, I know about NCA to Rayong via Pattaya several-times-per-night, but just how many tourists would there be going direct to Koh Chang ? blink.png

It does sound odd, doesn't it ?

I didn't realise that there was a direct VIP-bus from Chiang Mai to Koh Chang, I know about NCA to Rayong via Pattaya several-times-per-night, but just how many tourists would there be going direct to Koh Chang ? blink.png

It does sound odd, doesn't it ?

VIP is a govt. minimum standard of inter-city travel. They cover bus standards of prap ahkaht 1 and higher. They have to conform to standards regarding the number of stops, the route, refreshments, insurance and safety and many more.

These tourist only buses which do not allow Thais on are self-appointed VIP. They are completely unlicensed and unregulated and are often involved in criminal behaviour including theft from bags.

There are many tourists going direct from one tourist ghetto to another e.g. Pattaya, Koh Chang, Phuket, Koh Samui and Koh Pha-ngan, Chiang Mai, etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on many Over night buses, no once have i been asked to pay extra while with my Thai wife. But that as from the bus depots. Sounds like the travel Agent is putting the price up foreigners, and they know the Thai pay the real price. So by taking a Thai person they lose out on the fair.

Edited by Thongkorn

I have been on many Over night buses, no once have i been asked to pay extra while with my Thai wife. But that as from the bus depots. Sounds like the travel Agent is putting the price up foreigners, and they know the Thai pay the real price. So by taking a Thai person they lose out on the fair.

You're talking about the government regulated buses, the OP is talking about the tourist buses.