Here We Go Again

[it's started again.....................

Last night we got overrun with 6-8 special licsencing police, checking all our papers, making sure we were not selling illegal drinks AND being given a paper saying that under no circumstances were we allowed to sell beer outside of the 11-14 & 17-24 window, on threat of imprisonment. They went through the whole town. I know I'm going to get the same replies as last time , ie people saying " Rubbish, everywhere in the whole of Thailand sells beer, and even the same intelligent bright spark giving the names and addresses of all establishments that they drink in, for the Police to read. but belive me another clampdown has started.

THE LETTER

post-14019-1148561838_thumb.jpg

Edited by lampard10

I tried to buy alcohol in Sisaket mid afternoon with no luck a couple of months ago. All the shops tried just pointed to the posted notice with the times for alcohol sales and apologised. It was 4:50 pm when I visited rhe last shop and I was told to wait until 5. Maybe they'd been visited as well.

It has actually been against the law to buy booze between the hours of Midnight and 11am and 14.00-17.00 since 1972when the law was drafted. But we've already had about thirty threads on this subject.

Maybe if you stop selling booze to underaged lads, they may leave you alone.

:D:D:D

Or overaged old men :o

Anyway you were in there when we got raided...........................................sh1t faced of course.

Anyway you were in there when we got raided...........................................sh1t faced of course.

Shortly after 1400 I guess?

Shortly after 1400 I guess?

No........the funny thing was they came at 21.00 when it was pwerfectly legal anyway. And another thing, Yorkies not sh1tfaced by 14.00. It's at least 14.30 :D

Could be in line with the celebrations for H.M. 60th anniversary coming up?

Or could be one of Thaksin's methods for declaring he's back...?

A buddy of mine told me that this is a law that first came out in the 60s when the military ran the country. True?

Absolutely terrible law... :D

Which I'm sure the shop in the village will abide to... :o

totster :D

Surely not.I never ever drink all day at my local shop/bar and certainly not accompanied by two or three policemen who sometimes buy the drinks.Never in a million years. :D

Lampy, Over here in Guatemala, they´ve recently started completely over the top raids as well. Here they are searching every punter for drugs, and bar staff, etc...

It´s not so much about the licencing laws here. they aren´t even clamping down on illegal drug sales, but rather just trying to keep it discreet.

But, point being, we gather the reason is that the hot season wasn´t all too lucrative for anyone, and therefore logically, nor was it for the cops. Hence they are supplementing their income.

Makub´ar is proud to announce we are the only establishment in town that we have safe kept our client´s dignity by avoiding a raid. For the price of a good dinner for three senior officials.

Years ago, a newly opened bar in HK was having problems getting the required licence. Instead of sitting back paying rent and getting no income the bar owner sold peanuts etc at huge prices (for peanuts anyways) and offered a free glass of your choice to chase the peanuts down.

Really had the authorities scratching their heads !

I think the upcoming celebrations for the KING are going to be a tough time for everyone doing business in Thailand.

Every time there is an International event in Thailand the noose seems to tighten.

That being said, look on the bright side, there will be some fantastic fireworks.

It's the law I suppose!

I think on the whole (sorry Lamps!) it's been a good thing. Car accidents are down and less people dying due to drink-driving having had a few cheeky ones just after work and then driving home.

Believe or not the idea of the 2pm - 5pm ban actually began due to too many schoolkids buying booze...!!!

Like most "normal" people, I don't have time to sit around bars all day coz I'm working, but I can understand that it can hit hard on bars/restaurant owners who rely on the bar-fly trade in the afternoons.

Tough one to call...!