Student tablet committee terminates Chinese tablet contract

Lite Beer

Student tablet committee terminates Chinese tablet contract

2-7-2014-9-55-59-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry’s committee on student tablets today decided to scrap its purchase contract with the Chinese firm, Shenzhen Yitoa Intelligent Control Co Ltd after the firm unilaterally terminated the supply contract citing failure to meet delivery deadlines.

The committee also announced that the Chinese firm’s bank deposit will be confiscated and will also be fined of 220 million baht

The Chinese firm won two contracts to supply 900,000 tablets to students in the Central, Southern, Northern and Northeaster regions for the 2013 academic year.

The committee will call a new bidding within 7-10 days and expected to have a new supplier within 45-50 days.

It expected that Grade 2 students will receive the tablets in June this year.

Meanwhile the committee also scrapped the order of the Office of the Basic Education Commission which earlier terminated the supply contract of Supreme Distribution Thailand after it was found to do nothing wrong.

The committee advised the office to fix the specification of the new tablets to be purchased and prepared a proposal to the committee for consideration before calling the new bid.

Source: http://englishnews.t...tablet-contract

xthaipbs_logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xCs3-CZlQ
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-07

" The committee will call a new bidding within 7-10 days and expected to have a new supplier within 45-50 days. It expected that Grade 2 students will receive the tablets in June this year. "

Who in the world believes this ? After all this mess, the administration expects a new supplier by April and a fresh new 900,000 tablets delivered by June ? And what administration will oversee this ? Where's the quorum ? Where's the parliament ? How can you set up a bidding and finalize a deal ? Who's going to pay for it ? Where is your authority ?

• Like 1

Is every ministry full of liers. The company went bankrupt and it was announced they could not fulfill theit contracts 2 days ago. It seems if you miss a day in the news you get a different story.

So how to know which is true?

No wonder thai people dont know much about what is really happening in this country

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This may provide funds for the farmers

If almost 900,000 tablet-computers have not been delivered, and therefore nor been paid-for, shouldn't the unused funds (less deposit) already be available, to help the farmers instead ?

Cue further excuses, from the 'Men from the Ministry', who have only now acted after discovering the non-fulfilment of last-year's contract. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Oh isn't it a bit too late to terminate the contact? And please go ahead with trying to fine a bankrupt company.

People keep saying they are bankrupt.... they aren't.

They are still trading.... look at the link to see their Bloomberg trading profile.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/300131:CH

Scrapping this contract hasn't even hurt them if you click the 1M button on the graph you will see they had a little dip but recovered which leads me to believe that they have lost nothing, in fact they have probably got the huge deposit that the Education Minister has paid with the tax payer's money and already had his big slice of that for his grafty kickback.

It's all a cover up.... If the NACC gets off their arse and bothers to scrutinize the deal they would easily uncover a large multi billion baht deposit.

These companies do NOT pay security deposits, the Thai government would have been the ones paying a 30% deposit, I guarantee it. I have been trading with the Chinese for years.

Do people seriously think a company is going to cover the costs of 800,000 tablets?..... lol

This government must think everyone is stupid, all the Thais trading with the Chinese already know it is all crap.

Actually to clear up some misinformation, I have been involved in government procurement projects with both OBEC and OVEC before through my consultancy business, Shenzhen Yitoa would indeed have to provide a contract bond by way of a bank guarantee, to ensure it is eligible to bid for and sign the supply contract.

The bond is usually set at 5-10% of the value of the contract and will be forfeited if the party fails to complete the contract within the specified requirements eg. product spec, and timeframe.

I imagine the Chinese company is quite large and can absorb the loss to some extent but still the bond they are forfeiting is about 120M baht which is more than 3.5M USD by my count. quite a nice chunk of change for the Thai government.

What is interesting is the firm that got disquialified from bidding, if you look at the 4 zones, zones 1, 2 and 4 discounted the tablets by about 22-27% on average from the starting price, Zone 3 which was won by Supreme Distribution only discounted by 5% and somehow managed to win the contract. Me thinks they either paid a huge kickback to the "auctioneer" or have very influential people who hold shares in the company.