How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

Jason, thanks for starting a very interesting discussion with this thread.

As an American, retired, living in Chiang Mai -- when I first looked at your 26,000 baht budget I had grave doubts. But after reading on this

thread several hundred thoughtful, constructive posts (a bit rare on TV) I began to see that you probably have a reasonable and viable plan.

When I compared your budget with ours, I was quite surprised to find that ours is not that much more, and the two of us eat well here and

live quite comfortably. I'd guess that the cost of living in your village near Korat is probably very similar to ours here.

Comparing your monthly budget with ours, you have:

- Electric 2,500 -- we pay less than half that, but 98% of the time we are quite comfortable using only fans.

- Water 250 -- ours averages about 150, but this much regional variation in cost of water is probably normal.

- Gas 150 -- we average about 200

- Internet 650 -- we pay 630 here (3BB)

- Food 9,000 -- our budget is 8,000 (just 2 of us) but we often go over that. I'd say your estimate is probably quite reasonable.

- Drink 2,600 -- suggest changing to fruit juice, be healthier and save 2,000... lol. Just joking, when I was your age I drank a lot more than you.

- Travel 1,400 -- from the context I assume this means local commuting. As suggested, a motorbike would save you a lot over the 9 years.

- Visa/visa runs 3,050 -- a biggie, but likely no alternative for 9 years. We pay 1,465/month for an agency to handle our retirement visa for us.

- 4 holiday trips 4,500 -- suggest making everyday life more enjoyable/productive, then 1 or 2 holiday trips a year will likely suffice.

- Schooling 950 -- seems very reasonable

- School transport 500 -- having a motorbike would likely save here too.

- Medical insurance 200 -- you surely can't beat that.

Good luck to you Jason. My only suggestion is to teach English locally. Ten yrs ago, I did it in Bangkok, earned about 32,000/month. That

would surely help to turbo-charge your life style... ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to post the above, I have adjusted my budget a little, food is now 11K and I know I can save on Electric later on which can be used elsewhere to help me, I will be looking to teach but only PT to start off with as I am working on other ideas and if they fell I will do FT teaching which will bring my income to about 50-60k per month

Just a tip here,Jason. What ((maybe) you and I consider as PT, may not be what a local would. I started my first year as PT thinking it better to walk before you can run. PT meant for me not getting holiday pay (important factor) not getting health ins, not having to sign in on days when there are no lessons AND doing as many hours as FT.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but worth knowing in advance IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, based on my experience of living in Isan for several years, including a few out in the village, sticking to a tight budget without a fair chunk of cash allotted for simply having fun, is a sure way to go mad quick.

My budget is now very simple:

20k Baht to the Mrs, she buys the food, pays the bills etc.

30k Baht pocket money for having fun.

What did you spend 30,000 baht on in a month when you were living in a village ?

Getting out of the village usually! 2-3 days a week me and the Mrs having a long lunch in the city, a few beers most days, BBQ for the family at the weekends, 1 or 2 nights in a hotel in the city a week so I can have a night out with the lads and not worry about getting home. It all adds up!

Thanks for the info, but I am not looking to do this yet so only needs the basics to start off with, then hopefully end up like you, but I would still like to save when I get up to an income of 50K so might cut back a bit on staying in hotels every week

As an American, retired, living in Chiang Mai -- when I first looked at your 26,000 baht budget I had grave doubts. But after reading on this

thread several hundred thoughtful, constructive posts (a bit rare on TV) I began to see that you probably have a reasonable and viable plan.

When I compared your budget with ours, I was quite surprised to find that ours is not that much more, and the two of us eat well here and

live quite comfortably. I'd guess that the cost of living in your village near Korat is probably very similar to ours here.

- Electric 2,500 -- we pay less than half that, but 98% of the time we are quite comfortable using only fans.

- Water 250 -- ours averages about 150, but this much regional variation in cost of water is probably normal.

- Food 9,000 -- our budget is 8,000 (just 2 of us) but we often go over that. I'd say your estimate is probably quite reasonable.

- Drink 2,600 -- suggest changing to fruit juice, be healthier and save 2,000... lol. Just joking, when I was your age I drank a lot more than you.

- Travel 1,400 -- from the context I assume this means local commuting. As suggested, a motorbike would save you a lot over the 9 years.

- Visa/visa runs 3,050 -- a biggie, but likely no alternative for 9 years. We pay 1,465/month for an agency to handle our retirement visa for us.

- 4 holiday trips 4,500 -- suggest making everyday life more enjoyable/productive, then 1 or 2 holiday trips a year will likely suffice.

Good luck to you Jason. My only suggestion is to teach English locally. Ten yrs ago, I did it in Bangkok, earned about 32,000/month. That

950 baht per month for schooling is pretty miserable. What sort of education are you planning for your children on such a pittance? I really do feel for them.

950 baht per month for schooling is pretty miserable. What sort of education are you planning for your children on such a pittance? I really do feel for them.

This is for the first year only, my son will atttend the local school as he needs to learn to read & write Thai and will most likely be put back 1 year in his class so cost are cheap, then I will be working the following year & will send him to a school in the city, I am still thinking if I need to send him to a EP school as he can already speak,read & write English so it might be a waste of money which I can use to send him to a better school, he has a Trust fund which has enough money to send him to Collage & Uni when he older.

My Daughter has already finished Collage and is working in BKK at present so no money for her lol

In my opinion, based on my experience of living in Isan for several years, including a few out in the village, sticking to a tight budget without a fair chunk of cash allotted for simply having fun, is a sure way to go mad quick.

My budget is now very simple:

20k Baht to the Mrs, she buys the food, pays the bills etc.

30k Baht pocket money for having fun.

What did you spend 30,000 baht on in a month when you were living in a village ?

Getting out of the village usually! 2-3 days a week me and the Mrs having a long lunch in the city, a few beers most days, BBQ for the family at the weekends, 1 or 2 nights in a hotel in the city a week so I can have a night out with the lads and not worry about getting home. It all adds up!

Thanks for the info, but I am not looking to do this yet so only needs the basics to start off with, then hopefully end up like you, but I would still like to save when I get up to an income of 50K so might cut back a bit on staying in hotels every week

I would be ashamed to take an very early retirement instead of working, if spending less than $ 30 a month on my kids schooling. And even if you raise it to the double or triple amount.......

If I come to a developing nation to live and I can't live a materially better off life style than my home country, then, I don't see the point.

Bit narrow minded, some of us are happy to be physically better off rather than materially better off.

If I come to a developing nation to live and I can't live a materially better off life style than my home country, then, I don't see the point.

Bit narrow minded, some of us are happy to be physically better off rather than materially better off.

not only physically but also mentally. travelling from Thailand to spend some time in my home country Germany where i have all the "rights" (which most people complain Thailand lacks) i feel like "imprisoned" after only one week by all those German rules and regulations. as opposed to my wife, i am always happy returning to Thailand.

i am still hoping that any new government will pass legislation that daily ambient temperatures are not to exceed 27.5ºC and orders minimum temperatures at night down to 18ºC. then Thailand would be 100% perfect as far as i am concerned.

wink.png

I would be ashamed to take an very early retirement instead of working, if spending less than $ 30 a month on my kids schooling. And even if you raise it to the double or triple amount.......

I have already know the school I want to send my son to and the feedback I got from the farang teachers & Thai parents seem very good

http://www.sritani.ac.th/obec/index.php

Cost is 5000 per term for IEP or 2000 for normal

I am not taking early retirement, just not going to work for the first 6 months so I can get my feet on the ground,then I will start to look for work .

You can spend 10 times more per term to get better educaton but in the end of the day it's not the money that will give your child better education it is the child willingness to learn

I am still hoping that any new government will pass legislation that daily ambient temperatures are not to exceed 27.5ºC and orders minimum temperatures at night down to 18ºC. then Thailand would be 100% perfect as far as i am concerned.

wink.png

You have more of chance that Pattaya will offer a free shag day for farangs than the above lol

I have already know the school I want to send my son to and the feedback I got from the farang teachers & Thai parents seem very good

I am not taking early retirement, just not going to work for the first 6 months so I can get my feet on the ground,then I will start to look for work .

You can spend 10 times more per term to get better educaton but in the end of the day it's not the money that will give your child better education it is the child willingness to learn

I certainly hope you don't intend to teach English.

I will just sound like a Thai teacher lol

Edited by JASON THAI

All who are born in an English speaking country thinks he's a top notch teacher in Thailand biggrin.png

I agree with you. If you come here alone or together with your wife. But when you have kids it's different. Then you have to do what's best for them. Like a good education. I would do anything to give my kid the best possible start in his life

Edited by bangkoklasse

Well if you really want to " live cheaply " in Thailand then you can!

I am moving back to one of the Chiang Mai next month and i already have my budget plan worked out....

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

rent : 1000 Baht ( a small room with bathroom and shower )

Food : 2,500 Baht ( 80 baht a day x 31 = 2,480 )

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

Total Cost Per Month = 4,000 Baht per month ( 48,000 Baht per year )

It should be noted viewers that i do NOT drink or smoke and my transport is " Walking " & " Bicycle " Most of the day i will be " out and about " in the glorious sunshine.I do Not have time to watch TV.and Ladies? Yes I only get involved in ladies that actually like to be with me for who i am ( FREE )

God Bless You All Viewers!

Mr Farang Jaidee xwai2.gif

I am moving back to one of the Chiang Mai next month and i already have my budget plan worked out....

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

It should be noted viewers that i do NOT drink or smoke and my transport is " Walking " & " Bicycle " Most of the day i will be " out and about " in the glorious sunshine.I do Not have time to watch TV.and Ladies? Yes I only get involved in ladies that actually like to be with me for who i am ( FREE )

These are the kinds of posts that fill the planes with starry-eyed "x-pats" coming to Thailand -- and the overstay detention cells in Bangkok ..

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

These are the kinds of posts that fill the planes with starry-eyed "x-pats" coming to Thailand -- and the overstay detention cells in Bangkok ..

I agree. Nowhere is there anything about insurance.

As we get older, WE WILL have medical emergencies, probably more than one. If the family has one too, you will be expected to at least help. If you are married, you also have to leave enough money for your wife to live on.

However much money you think you will need for retirement, triple it to be on the safe side.

Here in Phuket, I've seen people retire in their fifties, stay 10 years then get wiped out by medical costs, or exchange rates. They are forced to go back to their own country. After being out of the work-force for 10 years and in their sixties, they stand no chance of ever getting a job with good pay, ever again.

Droves of elderly people have had to leave and the ones still here, many of them live very frugal lives. I don't want to live on a knife's edge when I'm elderly.

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

Edited by KarenBravo

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

* It should be noted that i have " plenty more funds " and have all the correct Visas etc.I just like living a simple life here in Thailand.( I have had sports cars & hilltop luxury apartments and telephone number salaries in the past ) but nothing better for me than living the " simple life " It also is to show people that Yes you can live cheaply in Thailand and be happy!

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

* It should be noted that i have " plenty more funds " and have all the correct Visas etc.I just like living a simple life here in Thailand.( I have had sports cars & hilltop luxury apartments and telephone number salaries in the past ) but nothing better for me than living the " simple life " It also is to show people that Yes you can live cheaply in Thailand and be happy!

With all respect, you are not living on a knife edge and poor then (so you say).

What you are doing is by your own choice and happy with your quiet lifestyle with the comfort of, if further funds are needed, they are available.

Slightly different circumstances to most here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

Not at all likely and if so you must be a really boring life because the style of living is unbelievable..

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

I think your extras are too high and suggest 50 baht per month should be adequate.

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

A flat tire on your bicycle and you can't eat the next week ;)

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

I think your extras are too high and suggest 50 baht per month should be adequate.

i don't understand people who waste 50 Baht for extras per month when there's glorious sunshine available for free huh.png

Two things that I don't get when reading this thread.

1. If you only have $ 500 a month. Why not work so you get more money?

2. If you are very old so you can't work. Didn't you work when you where younger? So you have a real pension? Or some kind of savings before coming here?

Please go back and read page 1, I do not have $500 a month and I am not old

no worries! you will be old. be patient, it just takes some time.

• 3 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP: Why do you believe that as a foreigner you can obtain Thai government hospital medical insurance, have you already confirmed with hospital admin? Even if you were able to do so it does not cover all medicines that can quickly add up in cost. Also don't imagine wife would want her/children in a public ward in a Thai government hospital. Unless you're really unconcerned about 'quality of care', you and family definitely will not want to be treated at a local government hospital for anything of a serious nature, whether it be accident or illness.

Suggest you rethink the insurance & incidental expenses budget for health related matters.

My Son was born in a government hosipital but we got a priavte room cost was around 6000 Baht for 3 days, I asked Pattaya/Bangkok and they quoted 54,000 Baht, the service we got from the government hospital was very good and there was a nurse outside are room 24/7.

I agree, having researched private vs public. All the western doctors I contacted in Thailand concurred; public most often offer a higher quality of service, particularly in the rural areas. Have been treated 3 times now at the local public, better than service back in the west and current technology. Had a friend with a simple issue in private in KK. Cost him 500,000 baht and was treated horrendously, total lack with duty of care; the bottom line more important. Cost at the local public hospital for the same treatment, 6,000 baht. I am very impressed with our local public hospital.

• 7 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP: Why do you believe that as a foreigner you can obtain Thai government hospital medical insurance, have you already confirmed with hospital admin? Even if you were able to do so it does not cover all medicines that can quickly add up in cost. Also don't imagine wife would want her/children in a public ward in a Thai government hospital. Unless you're really unconcerned about 'quality of care', you and family definitely will not want to be treated at a local government hospital for anything of a serious nature, whether it be accident or illness.

Suggest you rethink the insurance & incidental expenses budget for health related matters.

My Son was born in a government hosipital but we got a priavte room cost was around 6000 Baht for 3 days, I asked Pattaya/Bangkok and they quoted 54,000 Baht, the service we got from the government hospital was very good and there was a nurse outside are room 24/7.

I agree, having researched private vs public. All the western doctors I contacted in Thailand concurred; public most often offer a higher quality of service, particularly in the rural areas. Have been treated 3 times now at the local public, better than service back in the west and current technology. Had a friend with a simple issue in private in KK. Cost him 500,000 baht and was treated horrendously, total lack with duty of care; the bottom line more important. Cost at the local public hospital for the same treatment, 6,000 baht. I am very impressed with our local public hospital

I AM BACK !!!! have to give the tread a bump now for new replies, have to agree with the above, lots of private places now charging too much to the rich farangs as they are silly enough to pay it !

Edited by JASON THAI

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

I agree. Nowhere is there anything about insurance.

As we get older, WE WILL have medical emergencies, probably more than one. If the family has one too, you will be expected to at least help. If you are married, you also have to leave enough money for your wife to live on.

However much money you think you will need for retirement, triple it to be on the safe side.

Here in Phuket, I've seen people retire in their fifties, stay 10 years then get wiped out by medical costs, or exchange rates. They are forced to go back to their own country. After being out of the work-force for 10 years and in their sixties, they stand no chance of ever getting a job with good pay, ever again.

Droves of elderly people have had to leave and the ones still here, many of them live very frugal lives. I don't want to live on a knife's edge when I'm elderly.

You can't put a price on peace of mind

This is an Issan forum you cannot compare Phuket to Issan, prices are a major factor here and if these same people lived here they might have not needed to go back home !

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

MONTHLY ACCOUNT :

Water/Elec 200 Baht

Coffee 200 Baht

Extras 100 Baht

A flat tire on your bicycle and you can't eat the next week wink.png

Cut back on your Extras, man

100 baht a Mounth is way over the top.

that is over 3 baht every day, too extravagant .

You are giving us cheap charlies , a good name.

I hope my thai wives, don't read this post , I will be bankrupt .coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss