How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

I,ll look out for a link to more information and post it here.

Again,you are correct it has not been passed by parliament,but they have outlined their plans,as i,ve posted today.

Well I guess you couldn't find that info then striking sunset......so I will carry on believing the info from the UK government website then that the maximum requirement is still thirty years.

HL

Sorry for the delay,it is within the article that is linked to here.Regards.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

and to quote from the article ;

"The Government has announced its intention to reform the state pension system, by changing it into a single-tier pension for those retiring on or after April 2016. Under the proposed changes, the number of qualifying years required for a full pension will be raised from 30 to 35"

Well that makes for some interesting reading......I see where you are coming from now SS......although it is just a proposal which is why it's not mentioned anywhere else, and as they state some of the proposals may never happen.

Thanks for the link.

HL

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What blood group are you?

And what groups are your loog krueng kids?

Negative blood groups are very rare and O negative virtually non existent.

The chances of a road accident here in Thailand are the highest in the world, third only to some rock in the middle of the south pacific and some central Africa war zone.

If you live here full time, chances are one of you, or your loog kruengs will have an accident.

If a negative blood group is factored into the medical bill...it could be a show stopper.

I,ll look out for a link to more information and post it here.

Again,you are correct it has not been passed by parliament,but they have outlined their plans,as i,ve posted today.

Well I guess you couldn't find that info then striking sunset......so I will carry on believing the info from the UK government website then that the maximum requirement is still thirty years.

HL

Sorry for the delay,it is within the article that is linked to here.Regards.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

and to quote from the article ;

"The Government has announced its intention to reform the state pension system, by changing it into a single-tier pension for those retiring on or after April 2016. Under the proposed changes, the number of qualifying years required for a full pension will be raised from 30 to 35"

Well that makes for some interesting reading......I see where you are coming from now SS......although it is just a proposal which is why it's not mentioned anywhere else, and as they state some of the proposals may never happen.

Thanks for the link.

HL

Hi HL,

i was in the UK when these changes were put forward,I would suggest the change to 35 years requirement from April 2016 is unstoppable now,one of the keys issues for those of us ( like me and I think you also),is how we are " considered" during the transition period ( eg,will we be allowed to buy the additional 5 years if we need them) or will we be just left to

" hang out to dry". Regards SS.

Interesting thread. Right now I live in Bangkok with my Thai wife. We have no children and we just bought 10 rai of land at Ubon province, where my wife originally comes from. The plan is to build a house over there in the near future and to live there. I live in Thailand for 14 years.

My monthly income: 60k+ (steady income from abroad, the exact number depends a bit on currency fluctuations)

Wife's income: 20k

What we spend per month while living in Bangkok:

mortgage 8k

food 4k (Thai food and self made 'farang' food)

electricity 700 baht (airco only in our bedroom and only turned on at night)

water 200 baht

internet 730 baht

health insurance ( http://www.thailife.com/ ) 1200 baht

visa, travel, holiday, dining & wining 7k

maintenance contribution apartment building 1200 baht

public transport 2k

misc, clothing. 2k

All in all we spend about 25k - 30k a month. Our combined income is much higher than our spending, but I really don't know where we could spend more money on; in Bangkok there's no need for a motorcycle or car and our hobbies are relatively cheap (swimming, cycling, reading, internet). I expect that our spending in Ubon will be about the same or a little less. Of course my wife will have no income when we live in Ubon. But on the other hand, we could rent out the apartment in Bangkok.

In my opinion it is doable to live in Isaan for less than 30k (with wife and children) and have a decent life. Especially when you don't have to pay rent or a mortgage. If you grow your own rice, fruit and veggies and don't spend money on booze, I would say that 20k is enough. But in the end it all depends on ones lifestyle.

Interesting thread. Right now I live in Bangkok with my Thai wife. We have no children and we just bought 10 rai of land at Ubon province, where my wife originally comes from. The plan is to build a house over there in the near future and to live there. I live in Thailand for 14 years.

My monthly income: 60k+ (steady income from abroad, the exact number depends a bit on currency fluctuations)

mortgage 8k

water 200 baht

internet 730 baht

public transport 2k

misc, clothing. 2k

All in all we spend about 25k - 30k a month. Our combined income is much higher than our spending, but I really don't know where we could spend more money on; in Bangkok there's no need for a motorcycle or car and our hobbies are relatively cheap (swimming, cycling, reading, internet). I expect that our spending in Ubon will be about the same or a little less. Of course my wife will have no income when we live in Ubon. But on the other hand, we could rent out the apartment in Bangkok.

In my opinion it is doable to live in Isaan for less than 30k (with wife and children) and have a decent life. Especially when you don't have to pay rent or a mortgage. If you grow your own rice, fruit and veggies and don't spend money on booze, I would say that 20k is enough. But in the end it all depends on ones lifestyle.

Thanks for the breakdown, I think I would need a lot more that 4k for food, I have just been looking at the Big C website and started working out rough costs for all the items I would need to buy and also have got the prices from the market we goto to do most of our shopping, I have changed my breakdown a little

Rent Free

Food & other bits 11K

Drinks 2.5k

Travel 1.2k

Bills/Maintenance 3.5k (Electric,Water,Gas,Internet,Phone,AC service, clearing of Cess pit and a little left over for basic stuff)

Othet Costs 9k (Visa fees & runs, School fees & travel,Childs pocket money, Holidays, Medical Insurance)

So it total around 27,000 Baht a month !

The 1200 you pay for your insurance is that for you or is it for the both of you ?

eat street food and get your lazy 22 yr old to get a job and support him or herself. You might just then survive on that money but I doubt it. good luck

I think if you go back and re-read you will find that the OP has stated that his 22 y/o (wife's daughter) does work and support herself.

I live with my girlfriend in her parents house, so the 4 of us and a baby on the way.

These are my monthly outgoings.

Water = 200

Electric = 300

Gas = 200

Mobile credit for 2 = 200 I use Skype to call the uk

Internet = 800

Petrol bike = 400

Health insurance = 3000 I am 31 so maybe cheaper for me.

Food = 12000

Sat tv = 1500

Visa = 2000 Spend 3 months a year in uk

Flight = 5000 2 return tickets 60000 a year

Extras = 5000 beer, smokes, treats.

Total = 30,600

Plus in 7 weeks the little one will be born and will be purchasing a pickup.

Baby = 6000

Petrol, insurance pickup, maintenance = 5000

Future total = 41,600

This is based on almost my first month living in the village full time.

We have a budget of 55,000 so money spare for holidays or unforeseen expenses.

We could easily spend less and more.

I live with my girlfriend in her parents house, so the 4 of us and a baby on the way.

Water = 200

Electric = 300

Gas = 200

Internet = 800

Petrol bike = 400

Food = 12000

Sat tv = 1500

Total = 30,600

Baby = 6000

Future total = 41,600

Thanks for your breakdown costs

mortgage 8k

water 200 baht

internet 730 baht

public transport 2k

misc, clothing. 2k

Thanks for the breakdown, I think I would need a lot more that 4k for food, I have just been looking at the Big C website and started working out rough costs for all the items I would need to buy and also have got the prices from the market we goto to do most of our shopping, I have changed my breakdown a little

Rent Free

Food & other bits 11K

Drinks 2.5k

Travel 1.2k

Bills/Maintenance 3.5k (Electric,Water,Gas,Internet,Phone,AC service, clearing of Cess pit and a little left over for basic stuff)

Othet Costs 9k (Visa fees & runs, School fees & travel,Childs pocket money, Holidays, Medical Insurance)

So it total around 27,000 Baht a month !

The 1200 you pay for your insurance is that for you or is it for the both of you ?

Sorry for the late reply, was out of town for a few days without internet. The 1200 baht insurance is for me only. My wife has her own life/health insurance.

• 1 month later...

Water = 200

Electric = 300

Gas = 200

Internet = 800

Petrol bike = 400

Food = 12000

Sat tv = 1500

Total = 30,600

Baby = 6000

Future total = 41,600

Thanks for your breakdown cost, I don't want Sat TV or have a bike to pay petrol for so I could use that money to boost up the electric cost to 2200 a month based on your cost to cover the AC's, I also do not need 5000 baht a month to cover flights home as I have money already for this so buy looking at your costs I could do it on 25,600 a month!

PS best wishes for the new baby

The ironic think is, he would do better it he was out of Issan.

No doubt the farang mansion in the middle of nowhere was built with the best of intentions, now its no more than a white elephant, a monkey on his back.

How much better is living in a farang hovel in Bangkok than a farang mansion in Issan?

This thread has given me hope for a good life in Essan. My boyfriend had budgeted 50k a month and i know we'll have a reaonable life with this amount

You will both live very well on this amount, hopefully I will be about to get my budget upto this amount within 2 years after I make the move.

Cheers

JT

retired with wife, no children, living about 100km outside of Korat and 3 km outside of "town".. House paid for. 5000 a month car payment. Don't drink. Have a few rai to grow rice, some vegetables and fruit trees. Eat mostly Thai. There is nothing to spend money on out here, I live on the train line so it only costs me 14 baht to go to the city. 15000 to 20000 a month, mostly depends on insurance payments for the difference.

Jason they lowered the maximum years of work for a full pension down to thirty years, but raised the retirement age.

HL

Cheers that's good to know so I will only need to pay fo 1 year of NI crap as I will have already paid 29 years to get the full state pension if there is one or if I am still alive lol.

my understanding,but its not entirely clear yet,is that for those of us below UK retirement age (when the goalposts move in 2015) will only get a state pension pro-rata to the new 35 years NI contributions required.

To give you my situation,I am 58,I was told by the UK Pensions service,some years ago that as I had made 30 years Ni contributions no further years needed to be paid to qualify for the full pension.

Now,it seems that I will only qualify for 30/35 or about 85% of the full state pension.

Additionally,I have not seen any openings for people circa my age to be able to purchase the additional 5 years.

So,it would seem,stuffed again................unless any of you know any different.

As non-UK resident for tax purposes for the last 20 years I paid voluntary NI contributions up to age 65 (last year) and will receive the full UK State Pension. I have deferred taking it until I need to and it will build up accordingly.

Water = 200

Hope the plans are going well Jason!

Water = 200

Hope the plans are going well Jason!

Yea things have got better, got a 4k GBP bonus from work, which will now help to push up my income to 30k per month with the wife & daughters income on top of this should be looking at 35-36k a month to start off with for the first year then working PT & doing my internet businesses should bring me up to 50k per month from the second year which for me is enough as I will also have over 20k GBP as backup money for emergencies.

The wife has sent money to Thailand to build a small chicken farm on her mums land, we are not getting the small chicks, but the big ones 7 in total which should produce about 6 eggs a day or 180 eggs a month we will keep half for us to eat and sell the remaining 90 for 300 Baht to cover the cost for the chicken food.

Our mango trees have finally started to produce been waiting nearly 6 years but we have 2 big trees so half my breakfast is free now if I include the eggs lol, we also have another fruit tree the wife calls them shampoo, never heard of them before and we also have a pappya tree which is doing great, the MIL have rice land so, rice is free well most of the time 555 .

Now got to wait a long 18 months before I can put this plan to action !!

• 3 weeks later...

retired with wife, no children, living about 100km outside of Korat and 3 km outside of "town".. House paid for. 5000 a month car payment. Don't drink. Have a few rai to grow rice, some vegetables and fruit trees. Eat mostly Thai. There is nothing to spend money on out here, I live on the train line so it only costs me 14 baht to go to the city. 15000 to 20000 a month, mostly depends on insurance payments for the difference.

Thanks for your post, I already have rice & fruit trees growing, what vegetables do you grow, I was looking into tomatos and the wife is setting up a Chicken Coop for about 7 so we should get about 6 eggs per day for us to eat also she has got the MIL to plant a bannana tree will take a bit of time to grow but should be ready by the time we get there.

Living off the land is the best way to keep your food budget down IMHO

A set of Mach 3 razor blades and 3 days of your food budget is gone already. Socks have gone up from 5 for 100b to 3 for 100b in the blink of an eye. rolleyes.gif

I hope any budget people are making isn't based on foreign income. When I came here 10 years ago people I met with income from the UK were getting around 70b to the pound. There were probably a few 65 yr olds coming over then with their pension, 1000 quid equalling 70k p/m in a cheap ol' Thailand. Paradise retirement. rolleyes.gif

10 years later and they're 75 yrs old only getting 53b to the pound in an expensive Thailand. Bet that isn't a nice unless their pension is at least 3000gbp p/m.

Why do you need to buy socks in Thailand?

A set of Mach 3 razor blades and 3 days of your food budget is gone already. Socks have gone up from 5 for 100b to 3 for 100b in the blink of an eye. rolleyes.gif

I hope any budget people are making isn't based on foreign income. When I came here 10 years ago people I met with income from the UK were getting around 70b to the pound. There were probably a few 65 yr olds coming over then with their pension, 1000 quid equalling 70k p/m in a cheap ol' Thailand. Paradise retirement. rolleyes.gif

10 years later and they're 75 yrs old only getting 53b to the pound in an expensive Thailand. Bet that isn't a nice unless their pension is at least 3000gbp p/m.

That's the latest fashion, socks & sandles biggrin.png

That's the latest fashion, socks & sandles biggrin.png

If you say so.

In the 6 years I have lived in Thailand I have read many of these budget forums for people moving here. A lot are moving to Issan on fairly tight budgets i.e. living for a Month on a weeks salary or less based on Australian incomes. What is the attraction? Is it a case of rose coloured glasses that tend to fade the longer they try this budget balancing act and if they do manage it does the fascination with Thailand fade after a while or the budget go out the window. As we moved here for business reasons I have never had to personally confront these sort of issues but it would be interesting to hear from those that have tried and either succeeded or failed.

Sent from my Slate 21 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In my opinion, based on my experience of living in Isan for several years, including a few out in the village, sticking to a tight budget without a fair chunk of cash allotted for simply having fun, is a sure way to go mad quick.

My budget is now very simple:

20k Baht to the Mrs, she buys the food, pays the bills etc.

30k Baht pocket money for having fun.

In my opinion, based on my experience of living in Isan for several years, including a few out in the village, sticking to a tight budget without a fair chunk of cash allotted for simply having fun, is a sure way to go mad quick.

What did you spend 30,000 baht on in a month when you were living in a village ?

What did you spend 30,000 baht on in a month when you were living in a village ?

Getting out of the village usually! 2-3 days a week me and the Mrs having a long lunch in the city, a few beers most days, BBQ for the family at the weekends, 1 or 2 nights in a hotel in the city a week so I can have a night out with the lads and not worry about getting home. It all adds up!

Archived