How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

In my opinion, based on my experience of living in Isan for several years, including a few out in the village, sticking to a tight budget without a fair chunk of cash allotted for simply having fun, is a sure way to go mad quick.

My budget is now very simple:

20k Baht to the Mrs, she buys the food, pays the bills etc.

30k Baht pocket money for having fun.

What did you spend 30,000 baht on in a month when you were living in a village ?

Getting out of the village usually! 2-3 days a week me and the Mrs having a long lunch in the city, a few beers most days, BBQ for the family at the weekends, 1 or 2 nights in a hotel in the city a week so I can have a night out with the lads and not worry about getting home. It all adds up!

Thanks for the info, but I am not looking to do this yet so only needs the basics to start off with, then hopefully end up like you, but I would still like to save when I get up to an income of 50K so might cut back a bit on staying in hotels every week

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything is better than going back to the UK. Good luck mate but you will be ok.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No offense but I'd rather be struggling for money in the UK where it seems to be defined as not having enough money for Ciggies & Sky TV than I would in Thailand where's it's a case of not having enough to eat.

I know I'm going to get shot down for this, but I'll say it anyway... If you can't afford to retire in the UK, you can't afford to retire in Thailand.

That doesn't mean your retirement monies won't take you further in Thailand or you won't be happier living there, but IMHO (& if I didn't think so I wouldn't still be working & saving) retiring in Thailand will not magically make any money short falls disappear, but if anything will (eventually) accentuate them all the more.

Anything is better than going back to the UK. Good luck mate but you will be ok.

No offense but I'd rather be struggling for money in the UK where it seems to be defined as not having enough money for Ciggies & Sky TV than I would in Thailand where's it's a case of not having enough to eat.

I know I'm going to get shot down for this, but I'll say it anyway... If you can't afford to retire in the UK, you can't afford to retire in Thailand.

That doesn't mean your retirement monies won't take you further in Thailand or you won't be happier living there, but IMHO (& if I didn't think so I wouldn't still be working & saving) retiring in Thailand will not magically make any money short falls disappear, but if anything will (eventually) accentuate them all the more.

Concur 101%

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there is a government consultation ongoing at the moment to allow free NHS treatment to expats who have paid at least 7 years of NI insurance contributions.

It's very likely to be approved later this year or next year.

In my opinion, based on my experience of living in Isan for several years, including a few out in the village, sticking to a tight budget without a fair chunk of cash allotted for simply having fun, is a sure way to go mad quick.

What did you spend 30,000 baht on in a month when you were living in a village ?

Getting out of the village usually! 2-3 days a week me and the Mrs having a long lunch in the city, a few beers most days, BBQ for the family at the weekends, 1 or 2 nights in a hotel in the city a week so I can have a night out with the lads and not worry about getting home. It all adds up!

Thanks for the info, but I am not looking to do this yet so only needs the basics to start off with, then hopefully end up like you, but I would still like to save when I get up to an income of 50K so might cut back a bit on staying in hotels every week

You seem to have thought it through. Having your own house is a bonus in more ways than one. There is always something that needs doing so it can very easily eat up spare time. I have a fairly large garden and struggle to keep on top of it. I get by on a budget well below yours but there is no children.

At the end of the day it will be down to luck. When I decided to come here I made commitments with the baht at 65/GBP but by the time I completed and transferred the funds it had dropped to 55, ouch.

Hopefully we will never see that again, so good luck.

Concur 101%

agree 102%

Sorry for the delay,it is within the article that is linked to here.Regards.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

and to quote from the article ;

"The Government has announced its intention to reform the state pension system, by changing it into a single-tier pension for those retiring on or after April 2016. Under the proposed changes, the number of qualifying years required for a full pension will be raised from 30 to 35"

Well that makes for some interesting reading......I see where you are coming from now SS......although it is just a proposal which is why it's not mentioned anywhere else, and as they state some of the proposals may never happen.

Thanks for the link.

HL

Hi HL,

i was in the UK when these changes were put forward,I would suggest the change to 35 years requirement from April 2016 is unstoppable now,one of the keys issues for those of us ( like me and I think you also),is how we are " considered" during the transition period ( eg,will we be allowed to buy the additional 5 years if we need them) or will we be just left to

" hang out to dry". Regards SS.

There are special rules proposed for those who retire in the new system but have built up qualifying years in the old system. These make it hard for affected people to know whether to pay voluntary NI, until the DWP can provide figures on the new basis.

HMRC has extended the rules for the payment of voluntary NI contributions so that those affected have more flexibility to make voluntary contributions and time to wait until the DWP can provide the figures. This page will be updated if the changes become law.

Here's the latest update, my daughter has got a new job in BKK which pays a lot more than she gets in Korat, she will be staying with my sister in law so now it's only the 3 of us staying in korat with a budget of around 30k per month to start off with for the first year

He was donating it to his new extended family....

He was donating it to his new extended family....

You could not be more wrong.

I would seriously consider teaching Jason, not just for extra income but to :

1) Get you out of the house.

2) Give you a reason to get up in the morning.

3) Help you meet (hopefully) nice educated people (I don't mean that in a snobbish way).

4) Give you objectives that are NOT family based.

5) Stop you drinking &/or getting bored.

6) Make friends from different locations/backgrounds.

7) Motivation and to earn respect (hopefully)

That's how it helped me

Jason, I think you should consider the points that DILLIGAD made above.

They are not only practical suggestions, but are also damn good common sense - something which sadly not everyone moving here has enough of.

Glad they helped you DILLIGAD.

Not the ones that I see sleeping under a bridge and begging for money. Both in Pattaya and Bangkok

You can live for this money in isaan , but not anywhere else in Thailand , I need around 12000 baht for me!

2000 every week for tesco and market food!

2000 for fuel in the car the rest internet

No rent already have a house

Fruits mangos peanuts , melon coconut bananna , dragon fruits rambutan papaya all free from our farm!

When I not buy Falang food I could proberbly live for 8 k but I not want!

Big warerbattel 10 baht 10 liter

Nearly everything coasts 10 baht here in the market sometime only 5 b

If I come to a developing nation to live and I can't live a materially better off life style than my home country, then, I don't see the point.

100% true. With those very small monthly budgets I read about here, I would have a much better life in my home country.

If I come to a developing nation to live and I can't live a materially better off life style than my home country, then, I don't see the point.

Y

Ha ha don't forget the availability of girls in your calculation.

With those budgets in this thread you will have 50+ women ;)

100% true. With those very small monthly budgets I read about here, I would have a much better life in my home country.

What a load of crap, it seems to me that we have people here who don't have big budgets but still have a nice lifestyle and are happy and are better off than lving in there own counties otherwise why would they come here in the first place ! yes they might have to tighten there belts when it gets hard (£$ or what ever goes down but thats life and they adjust) but please don't judge other BM's who have posted here as if they don't have XXXX amount they should not be living here, as for your post Karen do you know or have you lived in London, how far will £500/£600 a month get you, I tell you nowhere, but in Thailand it goes a hell of a lot further !

You can live for this money in isaan , but not anywhere else in Thailand , I need around 12000 baht for me!

2000 every week for tesco and market food!

2000 for fuel in the car the rest internet

No rent already have a house

Fruits mangos peanuts , melon coconut bananna , dragon fruits rambutan papaya all free from our farm!

When I not buy Falang food I could proberbly live for 8 k but I not want!

Big warerbattel 10 baht 10 liter

Nearly everything coasts 10 baht here in the market sometime only 5 b

Thank you for posting, I am doing the same as you by gowing fruits on our land, which helps reduce your monthly food bill, did not think about peanuts, how long do they take to grow ? as this can help in so many ways, added to food, ice cream topping, beer snack lol

Two things that I don't get when reading this thread.

1. If you only have $ 500 a month. Why not work so you get more money?

2. If you are very old so you can't work. Didn't you work when you where younger? So you have a real pension? Or some kind of savings before coming here?

Jason, thanks for starting a very interesting discussion with this thread.

As an American, retired, living in Chiang Mai -- when I first looked at your 26,000 baht budget I had grave doubts. But after reading on this

thread several hundred thoughtful, constructive posts (a bit rare on TV) I began to see that you probably have a reasonable and viable plan.

When I compared your budget with ours, I was quite surprised to find that ours is not that much more, and the two of us eat well here and

live quite comfortably. I'd guess that the cost of living in your village near Korat is probably very similar to ours here.

Comparing your monthly budget with ours, you have:

- Electric 2,500 -- we pay less than half that, but 98% of the time we are quite comfortable using only fans.

- Water 250 -- ours averages about 150, but this much regional variation in cost of water is probably normal.

- Gas 150 -- we average about 200

- Internet 650 -- we pay 630 here (3BB)

- Food 9,000 -- our budget is 8,000 (just 2 of us) but we often go over that. I'd say your estimate is probably quite reasonable.

- Drink 2,600 -- suggest changing to fruit juice, be healthier and save 2,000... lol. Just joking, when I was your age I drank a lot more than you.

- Travel 1,400 -- from the context I assume this means local commuting. As suggested, a motorbike would save you a lot over the 9 years.

- Visa/visa runs 3,050 -- a biggie, but likely no alternative for 9 years. We pay 1,465/month for an agency to handle our retirement visa for us.

- 4 holiday trips 4,500 -- suggest making everyday life more enjoyable/productive, then 1 or 2 holiday trips a year will likely suffice.

- Schooling 950 -- seems very reasonable

- School transport 500 -- having a motorbike would likely save here too.

- Medical insurance 200 -- you surely can't beat that.

Good luck to you Jason. My only suggestion is to teach English locally. Ten yrs ago, I did it in Bangkok, earned about 32,000/month. That

would surely help to turbo-charge your life style... ;-)

2. If you are very old so you can't work. Didn't you work when you where younger? So you have a real pension? Or some kind of savings before coming here?

Please go back and read page 1, I do not have $500 a month and I am not old

Jason, thanks for starting a very interesting discussion with this thread.

As an American, retired, living in Chiang Mai -- when I first looked at your 26,000 baht budget I had grave doubts. But after reading on this

thread several hundred thoughtful, constructive posts (a bit rare on TV) I began to see that you probably have a reasonable and viable plan.

When I compared your budget with ours, I was quite surprised to find that ours is not that much more, and the two of us eat well here and

live quite comfortably. I'd guess that the cost of living in your village near Korat is probably very similar to ours here.

Comparing your monthly budget with ours, you have:

- Electric 2,500 -- we pay less than half that, but 98% of the time we are quite comfortable using only fans.

- Water 250 -- ours averages about 150, but this much regional variation in cost of water is probably normal.

- Gas 150 -- we average about 200

- Internet 650 -- we pay 630 here (3BB)

- Food 9,000 -- our budget is 8,000 (just 2 of us) but we often go over that. I'd say your estimate is probably quite reasonable.

- Drink 2,600 -- suggest changing to fruit juice, be healthier and save 2,000... lol. Just joking, when I was your age I drank a lot more than you.

- Travel 1,400 -- from the context I assume this means local commuting. As suggested, a motorbike would save you a lot over the 9 years.

- Visa/visa runs 3,050 -- a biggie, but likely no alternative for 9 years. We pay 1,465/month for an agency to handle our retirement visa for us.

- 4 holiday trips 4,500 -- suggest making everyday life more enjoyable/productive, then 1 or 2 holiday trips a year will likely suffice.

- Schooling 950 -- seems very reasonable

- School transport 500 -- having a motorbike would likely save here too.

- Medical insurance 200 -- you surely can't beat that.

Good luck to you Jason. My only suggestion is to teach English locally. Ten yrs ago, I did it in Bangkok, earned about 32,000/month. That

would surely help to turbo-charge your life style... ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to post the above, I have adjusted my budget a little, food is now 11K and I know I can save on Electric later on which can be used elsewhere to help me, I will be looking to teach but only PT to start off with as I am working on other ideas and if they fell I will do FT teaching which will bring my income to about 50-60k per month

It wasn't a question only aimed at you. There are a lot of people in this thread

It wasn't a question only aimed at you. There are a lot of people in this thread
There are numerous reasons why people may not have enough in retirement from not saving enough when they were younger through costly divorces or losing a massive chunk of their pension in the GFC (Global Financial Crises) but it doesn't do them any good to look back & say "If only I'd"...

But I do agree with your 1st point, hence I'm still working at 48 1/3rd (not that I'm counting) even though I already have the funds to cover most of the budgets here (It is a thread dedicated to low budgets!) because I want lots of contingency.

I'd rather have a little money left at the end of my life than a lot of life left at the end of my money (assuming age of death was the same, though it's possibly/probably going to be shorter with the 2nd scenario).

Archived