Blue book not in sellers name

kieran2698

Hi, this is my first post, i hope someone can take the time to help me with this problem.

I have been offered to buy a car off a friend however the blue book is not in their name and they cannot find the previous owner any more. The car used to belong to a freind of theirs who has since moved address and they cannot find them. They assure me that it wont be a problem but i am worried by this as i presume i will never be able to register it in my name. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this and get a new registration in my name? In the UK it would be fairly straightforward, the DVLA would try to contace the previous owner and give them a few weeks to respond, failing that the car would be mine. Perhaps there is s similar process here.

Ok thanks. They are not the legal owner, that I already know and I know that at least this will not be straighforward. But perhaps there is a way to deal with this.

Go to your local DLT office with them and ask them what you or should I say the sellers have to do, if they want to sell the motor.

• Like 1

Quite a few years ago I bought a motorbike from a friend, the green book was in the name of a friend of a friend of his and could not de traced or contacted anymore.

I road the bike for many years and never had any problems. Just take into account that the financial risk with a car is bigger of course, also upon selling, because who will want to buy your car when you want to get rid of it?

You need a signed copy of the owners ID card + the owners signature on the transfer papers to sell a vehicle. I have bought several vehicles from people who were not the owners, but they did have the necessary paper work.

• Like 1

Yeah, if they have the book and the paperwork (from the named owner in the book) to transfer the book over into another name, not a problem.

True but only if they have copies of the owners I.D .card and the owner has signed the book for selling along with also signing the papers.

Thanks everyone, i'm going to rent it off them for a year instead so problem soved

Don't think so.

Farang steal my car................sad.png

Nice earner

How extradinarily rascist. They are my friend.

Racist laugh.png , No, my eyes are wide open and have seen stuff. You just carry on eh..........rolleyes.gif

Copy of I.D card is paperwork smile.png

Never, ever, ever had a book signed.

For me the 2 papers for the transfer/sell etc were signed by the seller along with a copy of there I.D. photocopy.

Middle of last page of imformation of vehicle book is usually signed by seller, was for me don't know about other peoples dealings, just writing about what happen to me personally, when I bought a bike, why would I lie.

Thanks everyone, i'm going to rent it off them for a year instead so problem soved

Don't think so.

Nice earner

Racist laugh.png , No, my eyes are wide open and have seen stuff. You just carry on eh..........rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all who posted relevant answers to my question.

It's a real shame that so many felt the need to push their fears on me, the simple fact is that you cannot judge trustworthiness on nationality. I could tell you some simple facts about my friend that would help anyone to trust them but I fail to see the relevance in this post which was supposed to be about the legal procedure of buying a car.

Don't think so.

Nice earner

Correction!

The one wants to rent/sell to you, maybe your friend.

The REAL owner isnt!!

Here is what happened to me 2 yrs ago.

Rented a car from owner, for 2 months. After a month she thought contract is over, and since we couldnt be contacted ( been ou of the country for few days, was pre-mentioned) she walked to the police and reported the car stolen!!

Yay, found out this the day after, on the way back home from Bkk...a long drive...

Owners response to the valid contract: now she cant just go back to police, they will think/say she is stupid!!

With the contact not from owner, yep, find something else to buy/rent!

• 6 months later...

The car is now back with the owners.

Turned out they were my friends after all, no calls to the police or anything else untoward.

Thanks for all pessimism but it seems like Thais are as capable of genuine friendship as any other nationality.

• Like 2