Mae Ramphung Beach Guesthouse Recommendation

upena

I am planning on going to Rayong and stay somewhere along Mae Ramphung Beach. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive guesthouse?

I am looking for a place under 1,000 baht, somewhat centrally located on the beach, with A/C and free WiFi. I will be by myself and there for about 3 weeks from 21 April to 11 May. Prefer a place within a 5 minute walk to the beach.

Appreciate the help.

lar

I quite like the drive along Mae Ramphung Beach, at least outside of weekends and public holidays, or when the prevailing wind/tide covers the beach with plastic garbage.

I also rather like the old condo buildings there and on occasions have been tempted to rent/buy. Of course the problem there (apart from the busy weekends) is that it's miles away from anything and there is little to do apart from turn to alcoholism and post on ThaiVisa (maybe that's your plan). I can imagine long term residents there going quietly insane and indeed I think I've met a couple of them.

As for places to stay, 1000B should go a long way. Most of the prices I've noticed when driving along seem to be in the 400s, and that's probably negotiable.

Give yourself a virtual tour on Google Street view and read the signs outside the places that do rooms: http://goo.gl/maps/DXrew

One nice thing about that place is that nearly everything is 30 seconds walk to the beach.

For a month in April a condo rental might be worth looking at as I cant imagine there would be much demand at that time of year. I doubt you would need to use aircon much in a condo either as there is always a good breeze blowing there.

Oh, one final point: what are you doing about transport? As far as I know there is a bahtbus that goes along the whole beach and back to Rayong, but I dont know how often or at what time it stops.

Edited by KittenKong

I don't know its schedule, but there is a songthaew that travels between Mae Ramphung and Rayong, and also to Ban Phe, which is good for regular shopping.

Most of the local songtheaws stop running about 6:00 pm. which can create some difficulty if you want to be off somewhere later than that.

The HMRP songtheaw does not go to Ban Phe, but it will go almost there for an extra 50bt or so. Then you need to walk around 1/2km to get the BP one. Typical local taxi mafia...

HMRP is slowly getting a little more developed - there's even an Indian restuarant along there now!

HMRP is slowly getting a little more developed - there's even an Indian restuarant along there now!

Is it any good? I quite often drive down that way from Pattaya for a day out and have yet to find anywhere very interesting to eat. I only go on weekdays, of course.

There is a new guesthouse at hat mae rumphung the name is Neptun! Friends stay there for 4 weeks and it was very good and clean,

We stay at this area for 4 months now and the beach is clean also the water.

By songthaw you can go veryeasy to Rayong and Ban Phe.

We be here for the 3 time and for us it is perfect

HMRP is a great place to chill, but if you want to party you would have to join in with the regular party tours that hit the RayongCondotel.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://www.rayongbeachhotel.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drayong%2Bbeach%2Bcondotel%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D857

Great walks on the beach, a couple of bars locally, great food directly across from the hotel, the two girls Manee & Ratree or the bigger one to their right.

Songthaews regular along the beach to BP or Rayong, I know of a good taxi service if later, not sure how later mind.

There are small condos to the rear and the Caretaker will find them for you if you ask.

I usually stay at the condotel, but it was full last time and we stayed and a place that was Pink, but I can't remember the name, but it had good wifi, it is just a short walk from the condotel.

Beach approx 20 seconds, you have to cross the road and there you are on the beach.

Both places under 1k baht

• 2 weeks later...

Is it any good? I quite often drive down that way from Pattaya for a day out and have yet to find anywhere very interesting to eat. I only go on weekdays, of course.

Well I go to Pattaya if I want good Indian food - usually AliBaba.

You should try Tamnampar (Classic forest) restaurant, about 2km inland. It definitely falls into the category of interesting.

Or if you want a REALLY good steak (best I've regularly had in T/L) there's Moka just beyond Ban Phe, in a great beachside setting, but it's only open in the evenings.

Weekends are starting to get quieter now, with less BKK thais visiting.

• 1 year later...

The HMRP songtheaw does not go to Ban Phe, but it will go almost there for an extra 50bt or so. Then you need to walk around 1/2km to get the BP one. Typical local taxi mafia...

Indian restaurant 'Purple Haze'

has a 10% surcharge on menu prices for farangs; yes it says so somewhere on menu but I never saw it.