Facing deportation, Sehgal ends political role

Lite Beer

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.

Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

"Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country."

So foreigners can come into your country, demonstrate against the government despite warnings against doing that and everyone would consider that their right? Nonsense. Give it a try in India.

1. Short title and extent.

(1) This Act may be called the Immigrants (Expulsion from Assam) Act, 1950 .

(2) It extends to the whole of India.

2. Power to order expulsion of certain immigrants. If the Central Government is of opinion that any person or class of persons, having been ordinarily resident in any place outside India, has or have. whether before or after the commencement of this Act, come into Assam and that the stay of such person or class of persons in Assam is detrimental to the interests of the general public of India or of any section thereof or of any Scheduled Tribe in Assam, the Central Government may by order--

(1) direct such person or class of persons to remove himself or themselves from India or Assam within such time and by such route as may be specified in the order; and

(2)give such further directions in regard to his or their removal from India or Assam as it may consider necessary or expedient;

This man has spent 50 years benefiting Thailand (and yes himself) through developing trade relations, his family (well siblings) are Thai citizens, he has genuine roots in this country. He is no tourist, no ex-pat, no retiree, he should be considered as productive a citizen of this country as anyone else.

He is being deported because he has thought the wrong way, a crime in the eyes of PT. he is being humiliated and ruined because PT cannot brook opposition especially opposition that points out their economic incompetence.

I don't share his views, I doubt i'd like him but the fact is he considers Thailand his country and spoke out in its defence. His crime is that he supported the wrong side, if he had voiced support for PT he would have no problems.

If this is how PT is set to govern with petty, vindictive, spiteful acts of revenge rather than looking for consiliation and reconciliation then there will be no healing and this cycle of protest and counter protest is set to continue.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.
Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

But thanks to Suthep, this is not a democratic country is it? They've stopped people from working and voting, so too bad for the Indian bloke. If he's lived here for 55 years and this is his country, how come he doesn't have a Thai passport?

I don't like suthep or support him but this thread is not about him. It is about the vengeful manner PT treats those who think the wrong way.

As for passports, no idea why he doesn't have one. He did have permanent residence, maybe he thought that made Thailand his country. He certainly did more than most to help develop its trade relations.

I don't like suthep or support him but this thread is not about him. It is about the vengeful manner PT treats those who think the wrong way.

Umm ...this thread is about being deported when you protest in a country where you don't hold citizenship, only a visa.

Many countries around the world have the same laws, not just Thailand. This has nothing to do about Puea Thai, but about the laws of Thailand which have existed since before Thaksin even entered politics.

Foreigners have been deported during the red shirt protests of 2010 for joining political protests, so why should the Indian get special treatment now? Because he's in bed with the elite?

Read this THAIVISA post here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/396433-australian-red-shirt-conor-david-purcell-finally-deported-from-thailand/

An Australian man jailed during anti-government protests in Bangkok, and then kept in a Thai immigration detention centre because he couldn't pay for his deportation, is finally headed home.

Arrested and deported by Abhisit and Suthep, for being a foreigner joining a political protest.

Edited by ShannonT
  • Like 1

Kick him out, deport him, like many other foreigners have been deported before...............

Its not one rule for some and another for others.

Kick him out !!

All in my opinion of course.

Like this guy, and a few others kick out by Suthep himself:

If Sehgal had behaved like this chump, Chalerm's move would be understandable.

As he hasn't it leaves Chalerm looking like a vindictive clown. Nothing new there at least.

Why no comments on the Australian bloke deported? Is the same case as Sehgal.

I will merely note that both the Aussie who falsely claimed to be ex SARS and the Englishman with 'mood swings' were both sentenced by a court before being deported.

Umm ...this thread is about being deported when you protest in a country where you don't hold citizenship, only a visa.

Many countries around the world have the same laws, not just Thailand. This has nothing to do about Puea Thai, but about the laws of Thailand which have existed since before Thaksin even entered politics.

Foreigners have been deported during the red shirt protests of 2010 for joining political protests, so why should the Indian get special treatment now? Because he's in bed with the elite?

Read this THAIVISA post here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/396433-australian-red-shirt-conor-david-purcell-finally-deported-from-thailand/

An Australian man jailed during anti-government protests in Bangkok, and then kept in a Thai immigration detention centre because he couldn't pay for his deportation, is finally headed home.

Arrested and deported by Abhisit and Suthep, for being a foreigner joining a political protest.

Most of this answered in post above one you quote.

"Whatever the outcome of my case, I insist I will not leave Thailand because this is my dearest home,''

It may be your home, but this is not India. This is NOT your country. This is a fact.

"... had never taken to the rally stages"

You want Google Image proof? I have photo of him on stage, but with Bangkok Post watermark, so i suppose I cannot post here.

i don't know that person or his status and i don't care ......but could we imagine for a second......that he got "perhaps" involved in this politic matters only because he is living in thailand, working in thailand so paying his taxes in thailand, having his family in thailand, being in thailand long enough to have an opinion about what is wrong in this country and wanted to say it too,........ aren't all these reason enough for a person who love a country where he lives to have a walk in a middle where many others think the same ?

i think he did clap2.gifwhat many others where scared to do.....this is also a fact.... a democratic fact, not a reason to be deported !

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

Chalerm now knows he has made a huge cock up with this one but still he keeps digging the hole deeper with his mouth.

If he had half a brain he would come out with something like :

We have reviewed this case and in light of the service Khun Sehgal has rendered to Thailand in the past we have decided to rescind the deportation order, however should he ever carry out any other activity against the SOE we will be forced to reconsider.

This would make Chalerm look less stupid but then again.........................................

Really? Would you please share with me what service this man has undertaken on behalf of Thailand. Usually, when one refers to service it includes charitable or social service activity. Did the man create an educational foundation? How about participation in the construction or refurbishment of a hospital? You know, something like that. Promoting his travel agency and Indian weddings in Thailand business hardly qualifies as "service to his country". I wonder if he even performed his military service? I could understand if he had volunteered for service.

Initially, the man denied having any political activity in respect to the illegal seizure of buildings and blockades. Then as pictures came out, the story changed. He was quite pleased to describe himself as one of the organizers of the PDRC activities when he was interviewed as part of a lengthy article in the foreign print media. He provided his reasons for participating, one nugget which included his view that westerners did not understand democracy and how it works/should work in Thailand.

Another one who hasn't got the faintest idea.

If you are going to post on this man then the least you can do check what he has done and not just repeat red drivel .

Once again :

He has acted as an advisor to 6 Thai Governments and led many Thai trade and Government delegations to India, among other things.

That is Governments back to Chuan Leepai and even Thaksins Governments.

Why don't you go check on what he has done yourself then perhaps you could inform the other red ranters so you will all know.

He the description of "advisor" is a broad term. Was this an actual legal appointment? I don't think so. When did he LEAD official trade and government delegations? It is you who hasn't the faintest idea as to how a trade delegation is set up and what it does. When the designated government official assigned to go and promote a trade delegation sets it up, he sends out invites to the business community to ask who wants to attend. Businesses with a vested interest will sign up. That does not mean the businesses have a LEADERSHIP role. Rather it is intended to provide an opportunity for those businesses to promote their goods and services.

In the case of Mr. Sehgal, he was in the tourist promotion business. He wanted to promote Indian wedding packages to Thailand. It was a legitimate business activity, but hardly on the same contributory level as attracting foreign investment or the purchase of Thai products. Mr. Sehgal went on these junkets to India in his capacity as representing a Bangkok Indian centric business group. He was a promoter and a lobbyist. His close ties to the Democrats and military junta rulers, no doubt encouraged his selection on many of the junkets. However, someone obviously woke up and realized that the guy was a great big nothing with lots of big plans and grandiose ideas. He's just another hanger on that got tripped up by his own self importance and assumption that because he played golf with some politicians and generals, that he was a somebody. He's finding out the value of his friendships right now.

• Like 1

To all those screaming about the unfair treatment, please note that it was Suthep and his supporters wh raised the red flag of "foreigners" They were the ones that started with the alleged involvement of Cambodians and then Burmese. It was Suthep's and his supporters that who out at "westerners" in their speeches. They could not find any foreigners to scapegoat. However, the government was watching and observing the rallies. Thai citizens were also asking why there were masked westerners at the rallies. The government was also reading the western news reports that showed various foreigners at rallies and had the interview with Sehgal where he acknowledged being one of the core supporters of the PDRC rallies.

Well, the government has acted on the concerns Suthep and the PDRC raised. Don't have a fit when the chickens come home to roost.

Suthep can wrongly accuse the government of using foreigners but when Suthep gets caught for using foreigners, it's a matter of human rights.

Suthep is the king of double standards.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Yep, just like the named blacklisted red shirt backers felt the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master in 2010. Satish is being deported, according to exactly the same rules as Connor Purcell was subject to in 2010. If you support the rule of law being applied equally then I guess you have to accept this Satish business. However, I disagree with it. Like I said before, it's petty and won't achieve anything. And despite the fact I disagree with his political views, it's a real shame that he faces having to leave the country he's lived in for 50 years leaving behind his elderly mother. He's only a minor leader too, not like he's crucial to the movement or anything.

However, all Connor Purcell did in 2010 was speak on a stage twice. He didn't fund a movement (in fact at the time he was relying on handouts from red shirts and friends IIRC) nor did he lead any protesters anywhere. That's a lot less involvement than Satish has had, yet was enough to get him 3 months of jail and a deportation.

It's not unexpected that many red shirts now are supporting what they opposed in 2010 (deportations, the emergency decree, blacklisting of funders, crackdown) and those who were very much for those things in 2010 are dead against them now. How typically human. We are partial by nature, I guess... it's very difficult not to apply different standards based on our political views, yet I admire those who've taken a consistent line based on abstract principle regardless of who specifically is being subjected to these measures.

Conor Purcell, did not have a valid passport, in fact he had no passport, he had lost or sold 2 of them. He was on overstay, he was drunk most nights and therefore did not pay his rent and he was a bum who ended up living on the streets and became a pounce. Also a proven liar about his army record(not a special force solider).

People with service behind them don't take too kindly to liar's(hence the website outing him in Australia)

Also Satish has been here decades and has contributed building trade between India and Thailand. his brothers and sisters all have Thai passports. He is a productive resident.

How you can compare his situation to Connor's is a bit of a joke. Satish talked about a fraudulent election where votes were bought and he also talked about the prime minister not really being in charge and the election if it is to be democratic should have only the prime minister making decisions, not some guy in the shadows in Dubai.

Any reasonable thinking person would have to agree with the points he made, no matter what side your on. Everyone knows who the boss is. So calling this action against democracy is laughable, the people have been defrauded because the leader is not really the leader, simple as that.

I really cant understand some people who don't see why this is not going down well with Thai's/long term residents that are educated and i don't just mean academically. They have every right to bring this out in the open.

If the same thing was happening in OZ and the prime minster was in charge but everyone knew she was a pawn/puppet for her fugitive brother then im sure you would not call this democracy.

Also you forgot to mention that Connor said on stage that the Thai Army are murderers, this is much worse than anything Satish ever said. Im not arguing the right and wrongs of what was said by him, but Connor was a million times more extreme in his speech/opinion than Satish, so therefore I do not think in a million years he deserves to be deported

With Connor saying what he did against the army there was only ever going to be one result

Ask you yourself a question who would you prefer in your country Connor or Satish?

Edited by asiamint
  • Like 1

Take Away Lesson For Foreign Residents

Many threads have been filled with people expounding on their family ties to a local police or military official. Sometimes the comment will emphasize that the chap is a general or a colonel or "connected". The story of Sehgal should serve as a wake up call for those people who assume that having a policeman in the family will serve as an inoculation against harsh measures when someone chooses to enforce a law. Here is a man, who socialized with Democrat party big wigs and was an attendee at many social functions the likes of which most TVFers will never see (even if it can be said, most people are not interested in the rubber chicken circuit replete with longwinded boring speeches). The fact is, this is a guy who hitched his wagon to a well entrenched component of the complex power structure of Thailand. Perhaps at the end of the day, his connections will help. Until then, his business website is offline, he is living under great stress. obliged to hire private security, and could suffer financially. He's not having an easy time now and this will take years off his life.. The take away lesson is that no matter how important or well connected one thinks he is, in Thailand, it can vaporize quickly once someone decides to apply the "Thai rules". Oh sure, there are the applicable laws, and yes, it can be argued, he violated them, perhaps due to self delusion that he was an important person with some power. It can also be argued that as a lobbyist, he played the influence game which is unforgiving. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, he's just an "Indian merchant" as one of my Thai colleagues described him and not that important in the overall scheme of things.

When the "system" wants to get rid of us or make our lives difficult, the system will do so. It will show no compassion, nor pity. Resistance will be an expensive and almost always futile undertaking. One need only look at the commercial disputes where foreigners start out at a disadvantage. Unless one is a powerful multinational, or backed by a foreign government with clout, the situation is not reassuring.

Edited by geriatrickid

Satish has been supporting the insurrectionist, Suthep.

Satish has been more systematically and persistently involved in supporting insurrection than Connor (who just went on stage a couple of times).

If Connor deserved to be deported, Satish deserves it much more so.

Satish has been supporting the insurrectionist, Suthep.

Satish has been more systematically and persistently involved in supporting insurrection than Connor (who just went on stage a couple of times).

If Connor deserved to be deported, Satish deserves it much more so.

You forgot one thing.

Connor supported Puea Thai = evil.

Satish supported the Democrats = good.

Therefor Connor deserved to be deported, Satish doesn't.

He might even get the post of Indian Ambassador once Abhisit returns to the job of Prime Minister by birth right.

• Like 1

I deal with and have dealt with several Indian businessmen and families over the years. They love this country and are helping Thailand in many ways. Their allegiance to the Kingdom is complete too!

He should be considered a thai citizen considering his history?

<deleted> has anyone's individual contribution got to do with their legal citizenship. Did you really just say that?

Screw the law and let's just all make it up as we go along shall we. For a bloke like me who paid millions, employed hundreds, brought up a couple, saved the lives of a couple, that has to be the.most idiotic thing ever.

There are hundreds if not thousands more deserving than him. In fact, any farang teacher working here for 30k per month is worth 10 of this guy.

• Like 2

Posts with messed up quotes have been deleted. If you have trouble with quoting other posts, I suggest you not use the quote function, since the posts are garbled and it's difficult to ascertain what is being said.

<deleted> has anyone's individual contribution got to do with their legal citizenship. Did you really just say that?

Screw the law and let's just all make it up as we go along shall we. For a bloke like me who paid millions, employed hundreds, brought up a couple, saved the lives of a couple, that has to be the.most idiotic thing ever.

There are hundreds if not thousands more deserving than him. In fact, any farang teacher working here for 30k per month is worth 10 of this guy.

You wanted to know my position and I gave it. I think you're equally wrong, boo hoo we think differently. However lets try to remain civil.

He's contributed a lot and has Thai citizens, his siblings, as family. If they are considered thai so should he. What someone contributed tho the country they consider their home country should have a lot to do with their citizenship

He is being deported as an act of revenge for thinking differently. As I said, that is all that has been proven he did. There has been no evidence presented to show he broke any law. In any democracy there is the right to think differently and express a point of view, destroying a mans life over this is nothing but the act of an intolerant authoritarian minded govt.

As to your personal status in Thailand, I would certainly consider you as deserving of citizen status, but I don't think you care what I feel.

Edited by Bluespunk

Is he a Thai citizen and has he gone through the process ? Its not automatic ( unfortunately ) there are many that have and many that havn't. Those that havn't are just guests and interfere as a foreigner in the nations political arena at their own risk.

He has and tbh as a long time tax paying business owner without citizenship and aware of the limitations it brings I do not think he should be given any special treatment at all... hes had 50 years if he chose to apply its a bit rich and jumped up to expect special privilege now hes been caught on the wrong side of clear laws regarding foreigners.

Much as he may be a benefit or a good guy for this or that he has no rights and stepped over his remit as a non citizen, As with conner before him and for the same reason he should be deported.

• Like 1

You wanted to know my position and I gave it. I think you're equally wrong, boo hoo we think differently. However lets try to remain civil.

He's contributed a lot and has Thai citizens, his siblings, as family. If they are considered thai so should he. What someone contributed tho the country they consider their home country should have a lot to do with their citizenship

He is being deported as an act of revenge for thinking differently. As I said, that is all that has been proven he did. There has been no evidence presented to show he broke any law. In any democracy there is the right to think differently and express a point of view, destroying a mans life over this is nothing but the act of an intolerant authoritarian minded govt.

As to your personal status in Thailand, I would certainly consider you as deserving of citizen status, but I don't think you care what I feel.

Whether I think I deserve is irrelevant.

That is the issue. Its not a measure of how nice or honest or good anyone is it. Its a legal system and that's all that matters.

Otherwise it's all just arbitrary. I still await documented proof of his contribution. Bear in mind I've been a member of rbsc in my time so I am not completely naive about how this works.

Is his brother still running the cricket section?

Chalerm now knows he has made a huge cock up with this one but still he keeps digging the hole deeper with his mouth.

If he had half a brain he would come out with something like :

We have reviewed this case and in light of the service Khun Sehgal has rendered to Thailand in the past we have decided to rescind the deportation order, however should he ever carry out any other activity against the SOE we will be forced to reconsider.

This would make Chalerm look less stupid but then again.........................................

Really? Would you please share with me what service this man has undertaken on behalf of Thailand. Usually, when one refers to service it includes charitable or social service activity. Did the man create an educational foundation? How about participation in the construction or refurbishment of a hospital? You know, something like that. Promoting his travel agency and Indian weddings in Thailand business hardly qualifies as "service to his country". I wonder if he even performed his military service? I could understand if he had volunteered for service.

Initially, the man denied having any political activity in respect to the illegal seizure of buildings and blockades. Then as pictures came out, the story changed. He was quite pleased to describe himself as one of the organizers of the PDRC activities when he was interviewed as part of a lengthy article in the foreign print media. He provided his reasons for participating, one nugget which included his view that westerners did not understand democracy and how it works/should work in Thailand.

He has acted as an advisor to 6 Thai Governments and led many Thai trade and Government delegations to India, among other things.

You keep repeating this...like it has some relevance to this foreigner breaking the law. So being a government advisor or a member of a government trade delegation immunizes one from arrest and deportation if subsequently one engages in sedition?

That is the issue. Its not a measure of how nice or honest or good anyone is it. Its a legal system and that's all that matters.

Otherwise it's all just arbitrary. I still await documented proof of his contribution. Bear in mind I've been a member of rbsc in my time so I am not completely naive about how this works.

rbsc?

rbsc?

High-profile businessman Satish Sehgal has made his ... In 1973, he joined the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and later became the first Indian elected to the club's general committee.