We're not embarrassed about poll boycott, key Democrat says

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
We're not embarrassed about poll boycott, key Democrat says
Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Sunday Nation

30226419-01_big.gif

Chuti Krairiksh

BANGKOK: -- Both sides involved in the ongoing political conflict have been unable to declare victory after the February 2 election and will fight on until one is victorious, says new Democrat Party secretary-general Chuti Krairiksh.

The Pheu Thai Party, which is heading the caretaker government, may get the most MP seats but the election was marred by a low voter turnout and a low number of valid ballots.

The backlash followed the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee's campaign for political reform to take place before an election was held.

At the same time, the Suthep Thaugsuban-led PDRC cannot claim that most people supported its stance when 20.5 million people voted.

But Chuti said: "They came out to vote to protect their political rights, not protect the system."

The veteran politician said that one-third of voters he had talked to wanted the country to maintain the right to impeach politicians.

He also said voters had rejected the election, with 15 million refusing to vote, 3.4 million lodging "No vote" ballots and 2.4 million lodging invalid ballots.

"That means the caretaker government can't use the outcome to whitewash its wrongdoings, and there is strong support to show that the Democrats made the right decision to boycott the election," he said.

"If we took part, we might have been given a similar lesson by voters as the Pheu Thai Party."

Chuti said he was not embarrassed to be a member of a party that had boycotted the poll, as he believes that was the right thing to do given the election's unfairness.

Some analysts believe that the Democrats are hoping the independent agencies will pave the way for its return to power.

Chuti refuted that, saying he believed the Democrats might not contest an election until there is genuine reform - even if independent agencies decide to hold a new election.

He also ruled out the Democrats joining a national government as proposed by some academics.

"We have no need for power. So we would not deal with the caretaker government to share the power at the negotiating table … We will return to power after the reform," he said.

Chuti said the Democrats were participants of the PDRC protests, but not the leaders.

He said the party had set an agenda based on reform, which was similar to the PDRC's goal, but the latter was trying to spark change in a different way.

"We would be prepared to clash with the PDRC if it tried to establish an unelected People's Council, he said.

"We are a party that cannot fight illegally. We want to do it [bring about reform] based on our beliefs and we believe that Suthep probably understands us."

Chuti admitted that it would be hard for the Democrats to get PDRC supporters to vote for it, and the party had much work to do before that happened.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-09

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the energy that Suthep & Co put into dancing around the issue and doing political contortionism, if they put that energy into reforming the Dems into a more inclusive party with progressive reform policies that improve the lives of the poorest in society etc. they could campaign in an election and stand a fair chance. It amazes me that they don't try this legit route to power, especially now that PTP are reeling from the rice/amnesty problems. Sometimes you have to let go and move with the times, for the good of the nation. In any case, their pigheaded stubbornness is painful to behold, and the "my way or the highway" philosophy does not belong in the political sphere in the 21st century. They should re-brand their image and policies, and enter the electoral fray like everybody else does.

But that is far to sensible a strategy and outside of the box for Thai politicians who prefer to do the same thing over and over again, and guess what, always the same result.

If they ever did take this route it would also force the PTP and other parties to clean up their acts. But simply pure fantasy I guess.

It would take time and they arn't prepared to wait. im sure they could do it in say 2 elections time because by then PTP im sure would have imploded anyway.

Besides everyone here is on a timeline of ASAP to grab the power because no one has a clue exactly when the music will stop here, when it does this could all seem like just a walk in the park compared.

...and there is a rush to be in power when the high speed train deals start to get handed out. Probably gonna be some cash flowing when that happens. coffee1.gif

At the same time, the Suthep Thaugsuban-led PDRC CAN claim that most people supported its stance; when less than 50% of Thailand came to vote, mean more than 50% supported Suthep.

Just because less than 50% voted does not mean they didnt vote because they support Suthep. Only an idiot would think this.

There are many reasons why people did not cast a vote or voted "no vote"

Many did not go for the simple reason that they lost faith in the electorial process. Others did not go for fears of violence or their voting location was closed. Others may have not gone simply because they did not want their vote or no vote to show support for YLs idea of her democracy. Yet still many thought the elections to be invalid and biased.

I refused to let my wife go because of how far it was and for the fear that if a crowd was there that accidentaly someone might hit her stomach and cause premature birth. But if she had gone she would have cast no vote.

In case you didnt notice, none of these reasons show support for either YL or Suthep.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"I refused to let my wife go ..... " by force I suppose? Your chain / rope / handcraft / bed post have not been strong enough, since she went anyway.

This is perhaps, the MOST analytical post I have ever read on TVF. Bravo!!! wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gifpost-4641-1156694083.gif.pagespeed.ce.HF

At the same time, the Suthep Thaugsuban-led PDRC CAN claim that most people supported its stance; when less than 50% of Thailand came to vote, mean more than 50% supported Suthep.

• Like 1

And I say the democrats did no one in Thailand any favours by boycotting the elections, you need to be in the decision making process , not standing on the side lines wringing your hands, I would doubt that you would have won the elections, but you would have picked up support and that is important in a call for the PTP to change their ways,( wont enlarge on that) as it stands now you have no imput into anything related to the good governance of Thailand, so where are the checks and balances a good opposition would do , going to come from. 2/10 Democrats.coffee1.gif

this

Actually they did rather well for boycotting this joke of an election. Less than half of the population turned up for the election. Why would they give any legitimacy to this utterly corrupted bunch which is running the country now? Surely some people will have to pay for their mismanagement-rice scheme fraud, tablet scheme fraud and many others known and unknown illegal schemes which cost Thai tax payer dearly.

Anyway Democrats are not against the election, they were against this poorly thought and rushed election. I think they've proven their point. This government has neither legitimacy nor popular support.

Just because less than 50% voted does not mean they didnt vote because they support Suthep. Only an idiot would think this.

There are many reasons why people did not cast a vote or voted "no vote"

Many did not go for the simple reason that they lost faith in the electorial process. Others did not go for fears of violence or their voting location was closed. Others may have not gone simply because they did not want their vote or no vote to show support for YLs idea of her democracy. Yet still many thought the elections to be invalid and biased.

I refused to let my wife go because of how far it was and for the fear that if a crowd was there that accidentaly someone might hit her stomach and cause premature birth. But if she had gone she would have cast no vote.

In case you didnt notice, none of these reasons show support for either YL or Suthep.

"I refused to let my wife go ..... " by force I suppose? Your chain / rope / handcraft / bed post have not been strong enough, since she went anyway.

Well she is 8 1\2 monthS pregnant

It's more embarrassing that a supposedly legitimate government is taking orders from a convicted fugitive on the lam who has murdered more than 2000 of his own people. Oh yeah definitely much more embarrassing. bah.gif alt=bah.gif>

I find it more embarrassing that some posters here chant simplistic cliches without really knowing what they mean. Have a little hunt for information on the killings - Thaksin was involved. Who else was?

"We would be prepared to clash with the PDRC if it tried to establish an unelected People's Council, he said.

The DP is badly burned finally to have to say this specifically and remarkably clearly to Thais in Thailand and to the world abroad. The DP even brought in a new face in its obvious ongoing PR campaign to try to recover its complete fall from grace in Thailand and abroad.

From absolute democracy to absolute disaster and a frantic damage control operation.

A sad and sorry bunch which is a day late and a dollar short.

No sale.

The Democrats had already rejected the idea of a Peoples Council.

The DP is badly burned finally to have to say this specifically and remarkably clearly to Thais in Thailand and to the world abroad. The DP even brought in a new face in its obvious ongoing PR campaign to try to recover its complete fall from grace in Thailand and abroad.

From absolute democracy to absolute disaster and a frantic damage control operation.

A sad and sorry bunch which is a day late and a dollar short.

No sale.

The Dems may be a little singed however the PTP, who clearly play with the devil in his fiery lair are blackened and carbonised piles of soot fit only for disposal in an environmentally controlled refuse tip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Democrats had already rejected the idea of a Peoples Council.

So if they're against a 'peoples council' and they're against an elected government, who exactly do these nutters think should be running a country of 65 million people with a GDP equivalent to $1 billion every day? Sometimes it seems like the Democrats view is that 'yes, we're in favour of elections, but only if we're guaranteed to win', which renders them unfit to run a candy shop, never mind a whole country.

They're not against an elected government. They want reform first. And they've consistently said, it doesn't matter if we don't win, but we want reform.

All the energy that Suthep & Co put into dancing around the issue and doing political contortionism, if they put that energy into reforming the Dems into a more inclusive party with progressive reform policies that improve the lives of the poorest in society etc. they could campaign in an election and stand a fair chance. It amazes me that they don't try this legit route to power, especially now that PTP are reeling from the rice/amnesty problems. Sometimes you have to let go and move with the times, for the good of the nation. In any case, their pigheaded stubbornness is painful to behold, and the "my way or the highway" philosophy does not belong in the political sphere in the 21st century. They should re-brand their image and policies, and enter the electoral fray like everybody else does.

"Chuti admitted that it would be hard for the Democrats to get PDRC supporters to vote for it, and the party had much work to do before that happened."

Based on what i read the Dems and suthep do not agree any longer.

I also interpret the quote I included to mean the Dems are going to try and improve their image before they try to win an election.