Couldn't possibly be a Thai

jocko

The other morning I am sitting out on the balcony and saw a room maid cleaning a balcony she is in a hotel that back's on to my street on the 7th floor when she has finished she throws the dirty water over the side right on top of some beach towels that are on the balcony below.

Later on I mention this to my Thai wife and as quick as a flash she says "Lady from Myanmar".

She maybe right and silly me I forgot all about Thai tidiness.

• Like 1

Like nearly every Country in the world, the main population like to feel superior to any minorities and treat them as inferiors.

Here in Thailand the main Thais look down upon....residents of issan....hill-tribes..... migrant workers.... refugees....etc. etc.

The ego is responsible for 99% of the trouble in this world, which is why Buddhism teaches us to diminish the ego....and why most Thais do not know or practice the religion they profess to follow.

To me, one of the most important teachings is not to kill or cause pain or suffering.

It is rare that I meet a Thai who will not kill anything they see, edible or not.

<deleted>?

• Like 2

Most Thais don't know the true tenants of Buddhism. I mean Buddha said "do not worship me or any likeness of me" hmmmm?

Few days ago I saw a monk in s new robe semi hiding off the MRT firing up a commerically rolled cigarette. I did a double take and he looked back my hunch is thinking oh farang looking at a monk. I was thinking how un Buddhist of him to be smoking, to be smoking expensive fags with money that was given to him for reasons anything but.

Hey, an old monk twisting one up at the end of an evening, no problem. A city monk with a habit, problem.

Thais dont have a huge depth of understanding about Buddhism slthough they are quite good with the rituals and ceremonies. Thainess.

Going with the small boat from and to Myanmar at Ranong.

Nice lady from Myanmar with Child, that drink some soda and ice cream and put empty packing in the boat.

Nice mother explains that it is ugly and good kids throw it in the river so they neatly take it and other similar rubbish (like plastic bottle) and empty plastic bag and put it in the river so the old boat is neat again...Well done clap2.gif

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

Like nearly every Country in the world, the main population like to feel superior to any minorities and treat them as inferiors.

Here in Thailand the main Thais look down upon....residents of issan....hill-tribes..... migrant workers.... refugees....etc. etc.

The ego is responsible for 99% of the trouble in this world, which is why Buddhism teaches us to diminish the ego....and why most Thais do not know or practice the religion they profess to follow.

To me, one of the most important teachings is not to kill or cause pain or suffering.

It is rare that I meet a Thai who will not kill anything they see, edible or not.

<deleted>?

Whackadoodledandy. Where are you? Every Thai women I have ever lived with sweeps ants out of the house instead of killing them. And I have lived with a lot of Thai women. I have always found this behavior silly and have always mentioned it and have gotten the same answer. Bop or some word that sounds to me like Bop.

<deleted>?

Whackadoodledandy. Where are you? Every Thai women I have ever lived with sweeps ants out of the house instead of killing them. And I have lived with a lot of Thai women. I have always found this behavior silly and have always mentioned it and have gotten the same answer. Bop or some word that sounds to me like Bop.

Barb is what they say...meaning 'sin' ...it is sinful to kill.

<deleted>?

Barb is what they say...meaning 'sin' ...it is sinful to kill.

But then they will happily tuck into an animal that has been killed on their behalf.

• Like 1

But then they will happily tuck into an animal that has been killed on their behalf.

There are many places in the Buddhist scriptures which tell of the Buddha and his monks being offered meat and eating it.

The ethical distinction between buying meat already prepared for sale and ordering a certain animal to be killed, a distinction which is not obvious to many westerners but which recurs throughout the Buddha's own teachings.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/meat.html

Edited by thailiketoo

There are many places in the Buddhist scriptures which tell of the Buddha and his monks being offered meat and eating it.

The ethical distinction between buying meat already prepared for sale and ordering a certain animal to be killed, a distinction which is not obvious to many westerners but which recurs throughout the Buddha's own teachings.

Obvious.. but it fails to take into account the current principle of supply and demand.

If all Buddhists would refuse to eat meat less animals would be killed as demand would drop. They don't so they are part of the problem.

There might be a small distinction but the end result is the same the same amount of animals killed. While it was easier to justify this in the old days.. now it is harder.

Just because someone makes the distinction does not make it right. There are many of crazy teachings in religions.

Obvious.. but it fails to take into account the current principle of supply and demand.

If all Buddhists would refuse to eat meat less animals would be killed as demand would drop. They don't so they are part of the problem.

There might be a small distinction but the end result is the same the same amount of animals killed. While it was easier to justify this in the old days.. now it is harder.

Just because someone makes the distinction does not make it right. There are many of crazy teachings in religions.

The Buddha said, ""Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you."

Rob I realize you think you know more about Buddhism than the Buddha but it really was his religion. I think he can tell the monks what to do.

There were stories from meat delivered to temple and cooked there (not seen there myself).

But seen myself in Nakhon Si Thammerat, a table full of monks in the restaurant eating and ordering a lot for lunch. Alcohol not seen but they were so in party mode (drinking coke from the bottle) that I think some was hidden somewhere.....

No second hand story.....I saw it myself....and not young monks....

The Buddha said, ""Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you."

Rob I realize you think you know more about Buddhism than the Buddha but it really was his religion. I think he can tell the monks what to do.

They know much more about their religion as I do. does not mean it is right or makes sense. Just like all the other religions and it might have worked that time but now with supply and demand it does not.

In the old days villages were much more self sufficient and people would not kill for monks accidentally too much meat might happen and he could get it.. now its just calculated into supply and demand. Different story.

Its not about knowing more about religion its using your brain to see if you think its right or wrong. In this case with supply and demand as it is if you dont want animals harmed for you dont eat them period.

Mind you I am not saying they are breaking religion.. they are following the rules.. i am just pointing out i think the rules are stupid.

Edited by robblok

They know much more about their religion as I do. does not mean it is right or makes sense. Just like all the other religions and it might have worked that time but now with supply and demand it does not.

In the old days villages were much more self sufficient and people would not kill for monks accidentally too much meat might happen and he could get it.. now its just calculated into supply and demand. Different story.

Its not about knowing more about religion its using your brain to see if you think its right or wrong. In this case with supply and demand as it is if you dont want animals harmed for you dont eat them period.

Mind you I am not saying they are breaking religion.. they are following the rules.. i am just pointing out i think the rules are stupid.

You think one of the major tenants of Buddhism is stupid. You live in Thailand. You know enough about Buddhism to say the rules are stupid. OK.

You think one of the major tenants of Buddhism is stupid. You live in Thailand. You know enough about Buddhism to say the rules are stupid. OK.

I say this rule is stupid.. different story. But hey instead of doing a factual debate avoid the issue.

Some rules are everlasting like not killing (seems every religion has it now if they would only all follow it) other rules have to change with time.

Anyway seems your the kind of guy that hates debates, though you seem to be able to be critical of other religions as i saw in one of your recent posts.. but not of this one.. are you a Buddhist by any chance ?

Vegetarianism
Question:
Buddhists should be vegetarians, shouldn't they?

Answer:
Not necessarily. The Buddha was not a vegetarian. He did not teach his disciples to be vegetarians and even today, there are many good Buddhists who are not vegetarians.

Question:
But if you eat meat you are indirectly responsible for the death of a creature. Isn't that breaking the first precept?

Answer:
It is true that when you eat meat, you are indirectly and partially responsible for killing a creature but the same is true when you eat vegetables. The farmer has to spray his crop with insecticides and poisons so that the vegetables arrive on your dinner plates without holes in them. And once again, animals have been killed to provide the leather for your belt or handbag, oil for the soap you use and a thousand other products as well. It is impossible to live without, in some way, being indirectly responsible for the death of some other beings, and this is just another example of the First Noble Truth, ordinary existence is suffering and unsatisfactory. When you take the First Precept, you try to avoid being directly responsible for killing beings.

Question:
Mahayana Buddhists don't eat meat.

Answer:
That is not correct. Mahayana Buddhism in China laid great stress on being vegetarian but both the monks and laymen/laywomen of the Mahayana tradition in Japan and Tibet usually eat meat.

Question:
But I still think that a Buddhist should be vegetarian.

Answer:
If there was a person who was a very strict vegetarian but who was selfish, dishonest and mean, and another person who was not a vegetarian but who was thoughtful to others, honest, generous and kind, which of these two would be the better Buddhist?

Question:
The person who was honest and kind.

Answer:
Why?

Question:
Because such a person obviously has a good heart.

Answer:
Exactly. One who eats meat can have a pure heart just as one who does not eat meat can have an impure heart. In the Buddha's teachings, the important thing is the quality of your heart, not the contents of your diet. Many Buddhists take great care never to eat meat but they are not concerned about being selfish, dishonest, cruel or jealous. They change their diet which is easy to do, while neglecting to change their hearts which is a difficult thing to do. So whether you are a vegetarian or not, remember that the purification of the mind is the most important thing in Buddhism.

• Like 1

One should not judge the purity or impurity of man simply by observing what he eats.

In the Amagandha Sutta, the Buddha said:

'Neither meat, nor fasting, nor nakedness,

Nor shaven heads, nor matted hair, nor dirt,

Nor rough skins, nor fire-worshipping,

Nor all the penances here in this world,

Nor hymns, nor oblation, nor sacrifice,

Nor feasts of the season,

Will purify a man overcome with doubt.'

Taking fish and meat by itself does not make a man become impure. A man makes himself impure by bigotry, deceit, envy, self-exaltation, disparagement and other evil intentions. Through his own evil thoughts and actions, man makes himself impure. There is no strict rule in Buddhism that the followers of the Buddha should not take fish and meat. The only advice given by the Buddha is that they should not be involved in killing intentionally or they should not ask others to kill any living being for them. However, those who take vegetable food and abstain from animal flesh are praiseworthy.

Though the Buddha did not advocate vegetarianism for the monks, He did advise the monks to avoid taking ten kinds of meat for their self respect and protection. They are: humans, elephants, horses, dogs, snakes, lions, tigers, leopards, bears hyenas. Some animals attack people when they smell the flesh of their own kind. (Vinaya Pitaka)

When the Buddha was asked to introduce vegetarianism amongst His disciples, the Buddha refused to do so. As Buddhism is a free religion, His advice was to leave the decision regarding vegetarianism to the individual disciple. It clearly shows that the Buddha had not considered this as a very important religious observance. The Buddha did not mention anything about vegetarianism for the lay Buddhists in His Teaching.

Jivaka Komarabhacca, the doctor, discussed this controversial issue with the Buddha: 'Lord, I have heard that animals are slaughtered on purpose for the recluse Gotama, and that the recluse Gotama knowingly eats the meat killed on purpose for him. Lord, do those who say animals are slaughtered on purpose for the recluse Gotama, and the recluse Gotama knowingly eats the meat killed on purpose for. Do they falsely accuse the Buddha? Or do they speak the truth? Are your declaration and supplementary declarations not thus subject to be ridiculed by others in any manner?'

'Jivaka, those who say: 'Animals are slaughtered on purpose for the recluse Gotama, and the recluse Gotama knowingly eats the meat killed on purpose for him', do not say according to what I have declared, and they falsely accuse me. Jivaka, I have declared that one should not make use of meat it is seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. I allow the monks meat that is quite pure in three respects: if it is not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk.' (Jivaka Sutta)

In certain countries, the followers of the Mahayana school of Buddhism are strict vegetarians. While appreciating their observance in the name of religion, we should like to point out that they should not condemn those who are not vegetarians. They must remember that there is no precept in the original Teachings of the Buddha that requires all Buddhists to be vegetarians. We must realize that Buddhism is known as the Middle Path. It is a liberal religion and the Buddha's advice was that it is not necessary to go to extremes to practise His Teachings.

Vegetarianism alone does not help a man to cultivate his humane qualities. There are kind, humble, polite and religious people amongst non-vegetarians. Therefore, one should not condone the statement that a pure, religious man must practise vegetarianism.

On the other hand, if anybody thinks that people cannot have a healthy life without taking fish and meat, it does not necessarily follow that they are correct since there are millions of pure vegetarians all over the world who are stronger and healthier than the meat-eaters.

People who criticize Buddhists who eat meat do not understand the Buddhist attitude towards food. A living being needs nourishment. We eat to live. As such a human being should supply his body with the food it needs to keep him healthy and to give him energy to work. However, as a result of increasing wealth, more and more people, especially in developed countries, eat simply to satisfy their palates. If one craves after any kind of food, or kills to satisfy his greed for meat, this is wrong. But if one eats without greed and without directly being involved in the act of killing but merely to sustain the physical body, he is practising self restraint.

• Like 1

<deleted>?

The first time the bf took me to 'meet the parents' he nearly killed both of us because he swerved to miss a lizard in the road. Try and find a Thai vet to put down a sick animal.

Most Thais don't know the true tenants of Buddhism. I mean Buddha said "do not worship me or any likeness of me" hmmmm?

Few days ago I saw a monk in s new robe semi hiding off the MRT firing up a commerically rolled cigarette. I did a double take and he looked back my hunch is thinking oh farang looking at a monk. I was thinking how un Buddhist of him to be smoking, to be smoking expensive fags with money that was given to him for reasons anything but.

Hey, an old monk twisting one up at the end of an evening, no problem. A city monk with a habit, problem.

Thais dont have a huge depth of understanding about Buddhism slthough they are quite good with the rituals and ceremonies. Thainess.

Buddhist monks aren't forbidden from smoking. The cost of the smoke is irrelevant.

Not rare at all in my circles. One SO just gave up fishing, which used to be one of her most favorite pastimes. The maid makes me spray the bugs, kill the spiders etc.