Best Polish and Wax

bkkjames

What do you guys make of these glass coating shops - seems rather expensive but then again if you only need to do it once, might save the cost of polishing / waxing?

Glass Coating works. It looks just as good, no, better than any high end sealant, and can be topped with a wax if you really want it to 'pop' (and make washing easier), but wax on top of glass only lasts one week (compared to 4-6 weeks on straight paint).

If you're able to do the prep work (removing swirls etc), have experience applying wax, have some patience, and have a place where your car can sit dust-free for 4-5 hours, DIY a glass coating yourself. It costs 3,400 for a bottle that will do 6-8 cars - much nicer than those shop prices wink.png

I'm a convert. I've used some of the most expensive waxes money can buy - I probably have over 150K Baht worth of waxes, chemicals, machines, pads and microfibres is my workshop. Back when I was using waxes and sealants, I'd get some enthusiasts commenting on how good my cars looked... since using glass with a wax topping though, everyone comments on how good they look. Even little kids and grandma's notice the difference wink.png

If you're going to try it, the only extra advice you need is, 1) Buy the proper applicators (60 Baht each, you'll want 4-6 as they are throw-aways), 2) Have at least 3 clean microfibres on hand.

I am partial to Meguiar's wax products - they have always made my dark coloured vehicles shine, though I think they dropped the ball with their 'NXT' wax.

Is the 'Glass' phenomena a marketing strategy or is it an entity all to itself and different from (better than?) 'synthetic wax'? Do you know if Meguiar's Black Wax is just a combination of its synthetic Ultimate Wax plus its Ultimate Polish, some other combination or an entirely new formula?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you guys make of these glass coating shops - seems rather expensive but then again if you only need to do it once, might save the cost of polishing / waxing?

Glass Coating works. It looks just as good, no, better than any high end sealant, and can be topped with a wax if you really want it to 'pop' (and make washing easier), but wax on top of glass only lasts one week (compared to 4-6 weeks on straight paint).

If you're able to do the prep work (removing swirls etc), have experience applying wax, have some patience, and have a place where your car can sit dust-free for 4-5 hours, DIY a glass coating yourself. It costs 3,400 for a bottle that will do 6-8 cars - much nicer than those shop prices wink.png

I'm a convert. I've used some of the most expensive waxes money can buy - I probably have over 150K Baht worth of waxes, chemicals, machines, pads and microfibres is my workshop. Back when I was using waxes and sealants, I'd get some enthusiasts commenting on how good my cars looked... since using glass with a wax topping though, everyone comments on how good they look. Even little kids and grandma's notice the difference wink.png

If you're going to try it, the only extra advice you need is, 1) Buy the proper applicators (60 Baht each, you'll want 4-6 as they are throw-aways), 2) Have at least 3 clean microfibres on hand.

I am partial to Meguiar's wax products - they have always made my dark coloured vehicles shine, though I think they dropped the ball with their 'NXT' wax.

Is the 'Glass' phenomena a marketing strategy or is it an entity all to itself and different from (better than?) 'synthetic wax'? Do you know if Meguiar's Black Wax is just a combination of its synthetic Ultimate Wax plus its Ultimate Polish, some other combination or an entirely new formula?

I moved away from consumer grade Meg's products a while ago (nothing against them I was just looking for the extra few %, and I still have a cupboard full of their pro/body shop products), so afraid I can't comment. The Autogeek forums probably have the answer though..

Note that Meg's also have their own glass coating product (M188), but it's only available to Meg's Asia... My guess? They can't ignore it in this market, but also can't afford to release it in the West - it kills their business model....

Edited by IMHO

Which product did you buy please? they maybe will have it at the Motor Show in March. I use HD Wax and find it okay and the bird mess etc comes off quite easily.

ps ... what did you use to remove the old wax/paint sealent?

Edited by JAS21

Which product did you buy please? they maybe will have it at the Motor Show in March. I use HD Wax and find it okay and the bird mess etc comes off quite easily.

Do a google search for "soonchawal 8500" and that will find you the vendor (last time I linked to that site I got a warning from mods - it's a Thai Language Forum). The product I use is the "8500" glass which is still 3,400 / bottle.. But I notice that they now have a smaller 50ml bottle for 850 Baht (enough to do any car or SUV) and the applicators are now 85 Baht ea (you'll want 2 for one car). Awesome vendor BTW.

I did a full surface prep - clay bar, medium cut (Meg's M105), diminishing cut (Meg's D151), and then applied the glass.. The thing with glass is you want to get rid of *all* swirls, holograms and scratches before you apply it - otherwise you're locking them all in for 5 years.. if your paint is in as-new condition already, a clay bar and some body solvent will remove all contaminants/wax and prep it for glass....

Edited by IMHO

That's too complicated for me, would be afraid of <deleted> it up. Would rather pay someone to do that. wink.png

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just make sure that if you do pay for it, that they *do* do it :)

Do a google search for "soonchawal 8500" and that will find you the vendor (last time I linked to that site I got a warning from mods - it's a Thai Language Forum). The product I use is the "8500" glass which is still 3,400 / bottle.. But I notice that they now have a smaller 50ml bottle for 850 Baht (enough to do any car or SUV) and the applicators are now 85 Baht ea (you'll want 2 for one car). Awesome vendor BTW.

I did a full surface prep - clay bar, medium cut (Meg's M105), diminishing cut (Meg's D151), and then applied the glass.. The thing with glass is you want to get rid of *all* swirls, holograms and scratches before you apply it - otherwise you're locking them all in for 5 years.. if your paint is in as-new condition already, a clay bar and some body solvent will remove all contaminants/wax and prep it for glass....

Thanks for that great info IMHO, I'm going to try it for one car. But, it seems that the 50ml bottle is glass coating for plastics only? The metal body glass coating is 3200? Can you use the resins plastic glass coating on the car body itself? I'd like to buy a small bottle to try first.

Thanks for that great info IMHO, I'm going to try it for one car. But, it seems that the 50ml bottle is glass coating for plastics only? The metal body glass coating is 3200? Can you use the resins plastic glass coating on the car body itself? I'd like to buy a small bottle to try first.

This is the one:

lpH7Rr.JPG

The 50ml could do 2 small cars, or one truck/SUV with some left over.

This video shows the application process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdRAw5mFWfg

(That's the cheaper ECO glass, but the process is the same for the 8500)

A few last tips:

Do not let it stay on the paint too long before starting removal.. it will start "gelling" otherwise and become very difficult to remove.

Start with the hood (where 3 coats won't be wasted) so you can get a feel for it.

Note that it requires at least 2 coats, with 2 hours between applications, and no matter what you do to try and clean it, the applicator will still have small, hard, scratchy, glass crystals in it, so must be thrown away after each coat.

Buy one more applicator than you think you'll need, just in case you drop one ;)

Edited by IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Did you end up trying it?

Did you end up trying it?

Not yet, got tied up with business, but I will do so and report back.

• 4 months later...

This is the one:

lpH7Rr.JPG

A few last tips:

Do not let it stay on the paint too long before starting removal.. it will start "gelling" otherwise and become very difficult to remove.

Start with the hood (where 3 coats won't be wasted) so you can get a feel for it.

Note that it requires at least 2 coats, with 2 hours between applications, and no matter what you do to try and clean it, the applicator will still have small, hard, scratchy, glass crystals in it, so must be thrown away after each coat.

Buy one more applicator than you think you'll need, just in case you drop one wink.png

I am another convert to one of the latest technical advances in auto body finish maintenance - Glass Coating!

I had thought I would be forever content with the 'discovery' of the Meguiar's Sealant 2.0 + a coat of Meguiar's synthetic wax, topped with a coat or two of Meguiar's carnauba method until IMHO stated that Glass Coating looks 'better' than any sealant! That got my attention along with the following Glass Coating company statement:

What is Glass Coating for car body ?

1. Wax: A protective coating usually made from natural carnauba wax and polymers that provides a deep, reflective shine. Usually lasts 6-8 weeks.

2. Sealant: A completely synthetic blend of polymers that provides long-lasting paint protection and shine. Usually lasts 5-6 months.

3. Glass Coating: Liquid glass (Silica Glass and Siloxane ) is a clear and pure liquid which hardens on contact with the air, that provides a super durable high gloss protection. Usually lasts more than 3 years.

There are many sealant products available on the market, some with misleading or exaggerated claims. It may be difficult for them to choose the most appropriate product.

Most sealants are either oil, paraffin, polymer or wax based products. These sealants are not lasting and can be removed with soap when washing, and cannot protect the original car paint finish against external environmental damage. Also the chemical reactions from these products may be risk-factors for discoloring and act as corrosive substance to the painted finish. These products are from an older technology.

Why your car needs coating protection?

The primary purpose of our glass coating is to act as a sacrificial barrier coating over the surface of your car's paint. Any time anything comes into contact with your car's paint, before it can cause any damage to the paint, it first has to get past the layers of glass coating. When your car's paint is under attack, the layer of glass coating sacrifices itself.

.... after reading the above, I realized that Glass Coating for auto paint is the future - but available now. I visited a couple of Glass Coating shops and was floored by the crystal, mirror-like reflective finish of each of the Glass Coated vehicles - even the white colored ones!

I chose to go with the Meguiar's M188 brand Glass Coating kit and then let a local Meguiar's professional detailer meticulously do the prep work and apply the 2 coats of the Glass Coating (using the one supplied 60 ml aluminum container!) while I observed the whole process. I could not be happier with the result: Now, my black colored SUV's finish has a nice, crystal clear, reflective, wet-look that will last for at least 5 years!

IMHO was right-on, again! thumbsup.gif

post-80480-0-61470700-1405265127_thumb.j

I am another convert to one of the latest technical advances in auto body finish maintenance - Glass Coating!

I had thought I would be forever content with the 'discovery' of the Meguiar's Sealant 2.0 + a coat of Meguiar's synthetic wax, topped with a coat or two of Meguiar's carnauba method until IMHO stated that Glass Coating looks 'better' than any sealant! That got my attention along with the following Glass Coating company statement:

1. Wax: A protective coating usually made from natural carnauba wax and polymers that provides a deep, reflective shine. Usually lasts 6-8 weeks.

2. Sealant: A completely synthetic blend of polymers that provides long-lasting paint protection and shine. Usually lasts 5-6 months.

3. Glass Coating: Liquid glass (Silica Glass and Siloxane ) is a clear and pure liquid which hardens on contact with the air, that provides a super durable high gloss protection. Usually lasts more than 3 years.

There are many sealant products available on the market, some with misleading or exaggerated claims. It may be difficult for them to choose the most appropriate product.

Most sealants are either oil, paraffin, polymer or wax based products. These sealants are not lasting and can be removed with soap when washing, and cannot protect the original car paint finish against external environmental damage. Also the chemical reactions from these products may be risk-factors for discoloring and act as corrosive substance to the painted finish. These products are from an older technology.

The primary purpose of our glass coating is to act as a sacrificial barrier coating over the surface of your car's paint. Any time anything comes into contact with your car's paint, before it can cause any damage to the paint, it first has to get past the layers of glass coating. When your car's paint is under attack, the layer of glass coating sacrifices itself.

.... after reading the above, I realized that Glass Coating for auto paint is the future - but available now. I visited a couple of Glass Coating shops and was floored by the crystal, mirror-like reflective finish of each of the Glass Coated vehicles - even the white colored ones!

I chose to go with the Meguiar's M188 brand Glass Coating kit and then let a local Meguiar's professional detailer meticulously do the prep work and apply the 2 coats of the Glass Coating (using the one supplied 60 ml aluminum container!) while I observed the whole process. I could not be happier with the result: Now, my black colored SUV's finish has a nice, crystal clear, reflective, wet-look that will last for at least 5 years!

attachicon.gifMeguiar's-M188-Glass-Coating.jpg

Looks great :)

Can I ask what preparation work they did before applying, and how much they charged?

This is the one:

lpH7Rr.JPG

A few last tips:

Buy one more applicator than you think you'll need, just in case you drop one wink.png

attachicon.gifMeguiar's-M188-Glass-Coating.jpg

How much did this set you back?

Looks great smile.png

Can I ask what preparation work they did before applying, and how much they charged?

Thanx again for introducing us to this technology - it would take a page to list all the upgrades I added from your tips and recommendations: Parada tires, quality fuel, rear disc brakes, DOD dash cam, etc., etc., etc ..... ! thumbsup.gif

The M188 glass coating kits are sold for 6,200k at the online Thai store. The Meguiar's shop charged 6,000k for labor for the complete interior and 3-step process exterior work up including removal of the new-road tar build up in the tire wells. In addition to their pre-filled plastic bottles, I noted the techs using their Meguiar's M: 105, 285 and 205.

I bought my M188 with me to the shop, not knowing that they would have a display full of the M188 glass coating kits on climate controlled shelves! They stored my bottle there until they were ready to use it. There are different classifications of glass coating brands. The Meguiar's M188 is 100% pure SiO2 (Silica).

BTW, the #1 rated glass coating brand is called 'Echelon Zen Xero' ..... I did not ask how much that one cost. facepalm.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by thailoht

Looks great smile.png

Thanx again for introducing us to this technology - it would take a page to list all the upgrades I added from your tips and recommendations: Parada tires, quality fuel, rear disc brakes, DOD dash cam, etc., etc., etc ..... ! thumbsup.gif

The M188 glass coating kits are sold for 6,200k at the online Thai store. The Meguiar's shop charged 6,000k for labor for the complete interior and 3-step process exterior work up including removal of the new-road tar build up in the tire wells. In addition to their pre-filled plastic bottles, I noted the techs using their Meguiar's M: 105, 285 and 205.

I bought my M188 with me to the shop, not knowing that they would have a display full of the M188 glass coating kits on climate controlled shelves! They stored my bottle there until they were ready to use it. There are different classifications of glass coating brands. The Meguiar's M188 is 100% pure SiO2 (Silica).

BTW, the #1 rated glass coating brand is called 'Echelon Zen Xero' ..... I did not ask how much that one cost. facepalm.gifbiggrin.png

6K for a full surface prep (including product) is a good price already - you've done well!

Congrats! :D

6K for a full surface prep (including product) is a good price already - you've done well!

Congrats! biggrin.png

Would it further enhance the finish of the vehicle if I applied another 1 or 2 coats of glass coating on top of the original 2 coats of glass coating which was applied 1 week ago?

Also, what is the purpose for the 'maintenance' applications that are recommended once to twice a year and what are the steps performed (chemicals used?) in this process?

Do you have any information that classifies and rates the various brands (H7, 22PLE, Solf99, 8500, etc.) of glass coatings?

Congrats! biggrin.png

Would it further enhance the finish of the vehicle if I applied another 1 or 2 coats of glass coating on top of the original 2 coats of glass coating which was applied 1 week ago?

Also, what is the purpose for the 'maintenance' applications that are recommended once to twice a year and what are the steps performed (chemicals used?) in this process?

Do you have any information that classifies and rates the various brands (H7, 22PLE, Solf99, 8500, etc.) of glass coatings?

The topper I use is Si-700 from Crystal Process Co. Ltd (Japan) - which is a very simple spray-on, wipe-off product. It makes the surface feel very slick, and I haven't yet noticed any degradation of the glass layer on any of cars/bikes. Last about 6 months between applications.

These formulations are all based on SiO2, the only real differences are the concentration of SiO2 which impacts longevity, and some differences in difficulty/ease of application due to the rest of the formulation.

Once you have 2 layers on, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to adding more - I tried 3, 4 then 5 coats on the hood of one car (each a week apart) - there was no difference I could see.

Maguiars is indeed good stuff.

Modern cars have ultra hard clear coat that minimizes scratches but is also hard to polish. The clear coat also contains UV resistant components to minimize fading.

Red used to fade real bad but on my 2010 Porsche 911 in guards red its not an issue anymore and thats a uni non-metallic paint.

Regards,

L

Maguiars is indeed good stuff.

Modern cars have ultra hard clear coat that minimizes scratches but is also hard to polish. The clear coat also contains UV resistant components to minimize fading.

Red used to fade real bad but on my 2010 Porsche 911 in guards red its not an issue anymore and thats a uni non-metallic paint.

Regards,

The topper I use is Si-700 from Crystal Process Co. Ltd (Japan) - which is a very simple spray-on, wipe-off product. It makes the surface feel very slick, and I haven't yet noticed any degradation of the glass layer on any of cars/bikes. Last about 6 months between applications.

These formulations are all based on SiO2, the only real differences are the concentration of SiO2 which impacts longevity, and some differences in difficulty/ease of application due to the rest of the formulation.

Once you have 2 layers on, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to adding more - I tried 3, 4 then 5 coats on the hood of one car (each a week apart) - there was no difference I could see.

Thanx guys - This is a great technology - Super Finish !

I will settle for the initial 2 coats of glass coatings, so I topped them off with a coat of Meguiar's carnauba Gold Class wax, today, and as stated earlier, it really makes the vehicle's shine 'pop'!

Edited by thailoht

• 4 weeks later...

Wax, coating... where will they stop ? It seems quite ridiculous to have to pay extra when you alreayd paid for a car !

But it seems a good business as a new shop (glossline?) has opened at Pattaya.

Look, glass coating is basically 'A Boys Toy'. Okay it does stop you having to re-polish/re-wax frequently and you can leave bird dropping etc on longer before the marks are difficult to remove and yes it will probably shine a little more ... even better than something like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

It is a protection but you can do the same with a good wax BUT you need to wax frequently. Basically you just hose the car down and it will look fine. On a recent trip to Kanchanaburi I picked something up on one side of the truck ...an oily-tar substance. Back home Tar remover wouldn't shift it ... eventually gasoline did ... a glass coating would have been useful then.

My local glass coating shop, established many years... does all paintwork, all the windows including windscreen, wheels and some inside the bonnet. After preparation ... the vehicle goes into a booth controlled at 25C. One coat applied by hand ( a modified product from Crystal I believe ) later two spray coats of similar ... then three sprayed coats of Si-700. After that 'wipe over with a cloth' He doesn't polish over between coats.

For my truck it come out at 36000Baht over the three years and that includes preparation, the job and maintenance every 3 months ... and will do any new bits fitted, including any accident damage. I have to admit that his vehicle looks 'the biz', as did a completed job that I saw.

Still pondering as I get pleasure out of 'pratting' with polish and wax .............................

Wax, coating... where will they stop ? It seems quite ridiculous to have to pay extra when you alreayd paid for a car !

But it seems a good business as a new shop (glossline?) has opened at Pattaya.

Look, glass coating is basically 'A Boys Toy'. Okay it does stop you having to re-polish/re-wax frequently and you can leave bird dropping etc on longer before the marks are difficult to remove and yes it will probably shine a little more ... even better than something like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

It is a protection but you can do the same with a good wax BUT you need to wax frequently. Basically you just hose the car down and it will look fine. On a recent trip to Kanchanaburi I picked something up on one side of the truck ...an oily-tar substance. Back home Tar remover wouldn't shift it ... eventually gasoline did ... a glass coating would have been useful then.

My local glass coating shop, established many years... does all paintwork, all the windows including windscreen, wheels and some inside the bonnet. After preparation ... the vehicle goes into a booth controlled at 25C. One coat applied by hand ( a modified product from Crystal I believe ) later two spray coats of similar ... then three sprayed coats of Si-700. After that 'wipe over with a cloth' He doesn't polish over between coats.

For my truck it come out at 36000Baht over the three years and that includes preparation, the job and maintenance every 3 months ... and will do any new bits fitted, including any accident damage. I have to admit that his vehicle looks 'the biz', as did a completed job that I saw.

Still pondering as I get pleasure out of 'pratting' with polish and wax .............................

I look at Glass Coating as a 'next technological step up' in vehicle finish protection as synthetic sealers are to wax. Each 'step' has provided longer and more durable than the previous technology with (quality) Glass Coatings lasting 2, 3 and more times longer than the sealants plus the better shine of Glass Coat is immediately evident.

Does anyone know of a listing that lists the SiO2 content and/or compares and rates the different brands of Glass Coating? As far as I can tell, there is no standardization in the Glass Coat industry here in LOS because anyone with 'any' percentile of SiO2 in their application claims to have Glass Coat while we at least know that the higher amount of SiO2 that a formula has, the more durable it will be. AKA a juice product that contains 10% juice versus juice products containing 40% or 100% juice. First of all, in this current environment, unless I could verify the brand name and SiO2 content of a Glass Coat product, I would be suspicious of any spray-on applications as opposed to those applied by hand because sprays are more wasteful by nature and higher quality-content SiO2 is far more expensive than the lower ones. Also, I would think another tell-tale give-away would be a 3 month touch-up maintenance vs the 6 month scheduled maintenance touch-up of some hand applied Glass Coat companies. I would not be at all surprised if some of these companies were using the 7% SiO2 content Si-70O (or some other low SiO2 content derivative) in their Glass Coat applications.

Read most of the treads so I will give my 2 cents. I use to restore cars and show them at car shows before I moved to Thailand. For the best shine when showing a car I would use a good carnauba wax. The only problem with carnauba is it is not very durable and with the climate here would only last a couple weeks.

The new synthetic waxes are quit good as the wax bonds with the paint. These waxes have polymers in them so look for a good quality wax with polymers. Not cheap in Thailand, around 3000 baht for a tin of paste wax. I have been using Meguiar's brand on my 18 year old Cerfiro. Here is a pic of the car and yes that is the original paint.

IMGP0136-1.jpg

Which shop uses Meguiar products or similar in Thailand (Pattaya / Bangkok) ?

What if a car is waxed once a month, do we really need the best wax or any would be enough ?

If a car is waxed once a month, I still think that it's better than coating which is supposed to last long, but I would never believe in Thailand.

Which shop uses Meguiar products or similar in Thailand (Pattaya / Bangkok) ?

What if a car is waxed once a month, do we really need the best wax or any would be enough ?

If a car is waxed once a month, I still think that it's better than coating which is supposed to last long, but I would never believe in Thailand.

I pass a Meguire's branded wash and polish place on Charoen Nakorn Road.

The best polish/wax I have ever used is called Mer. It's German made and I think can only be found in the EU.

I just received a can via my chum from England. The stuff is brilliant and very easy to use.........thumbsup.gif

I love the quote in the 'comments section' below this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swszEqyq3jc 1980s at its best!!!! It will shine, but so will furniture polish, you had better put a good quality wax on top ........... and stop hi-jacking my topics rolleyes.gif

ps I had chums when I was at school, I assume that you went to a Private School then, in England?

enjoy

Edited by JAS21

The best polish/wax I have ever used is called Mer. It's German made and I think can only be found in the EU.

I just received a can via my chum from England. The stuff is brilliant and very easy to use.........thumbsup.gif

I love the quote in the 'comments section' below this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swszEqyq3jc 1980s at its best!!!! It will shine, but so will furniture polish, you had better put a good quality wax on top ........... and stop hi-jacking my topics rolleyes.gif

ps I had chums when I was at school, I assume that you went to a Private School then, in England?

enjoy

No private school and worked at a machine shop after school, noooo dad.

If I tell you about an excellent product regarding this topic whats the problem ?

Not sure what the issue is - btw ITS MY TOPIC get your own hahaha

enjoy

No private school and worked at a machine shop after school, noooo dad.

If I tell you about an excellent product regarding this topic whats the problem ?

Now you make me feel bad ... but please do as Crossy suggests (post 65 car suspension) . OK I'll be your chum if you like. Yes I tried Mer when living in the UK, if I recall it went white when dried. Sure it shined.

I would be quite surprised if Mer alone give any, if much protection to the paint surface over here. But I have been wrong before......................

Edited by JAS21