Suggestions for reform from Thais living overseas

webfact

hmmm Seems reasonable, but I've yet to have a coffee

Though all these points depend on the rule of law being enforced. Without that, all the suggestions are for zero.

Edited by jcisco
  • Like 2

Quiet obviously you need a debt ceiling, with this crowd of spiffs plundering the coffers , reforms should follow the Westminster/ US / German systems however going on past performance, they will try to manipulate the reforms to fit the person not the country, notice the corruption coming out of Singapore and H.K. very little ,they are run on the Westminster style system , the only Asian countries where you are safe with investments , legal system ,etc, mind you these BKK protests would not be tolerated, that's democracy folks.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

1,2,3. All nonsensical

4,5 ok

Love how farangs can't contribute to the discussion, but thais who pay taxes overseas are free to contribute.

Ohhh. The hypocrisy.

This really should be a case of if you don't pay taxes, you don't have a say. Reading this nonsense is like listening to Fox News.

We are so deeply attached but aren't planning on coming back to.contribute any time soon, because where we live has social systems and benefits but we believe u lot back there should run a balanced budget????????

<deleted>

What a load of BS

I am Australian and no longer pay Taxes

So your telling me I have no right to any thing that goes on in my country

Many Falang keep their Thai families so his wife does not pay taxes, so she should have no right's

Rice Growers in the North have not been paid, so they pay no taxes so they have not right of say

Are you really serious, or are you just stirring up the members

You work on the system from the top down and from the bottom up ( classroom ) its not a 2 week or 2 year fix it will take a generation at least hence you must to go to the classroom to affect the lasting change of hearts and minds not just the top who have been so ingrained they will only embrace a few reforms.

The real and long term solution lays with the plastic bottle throwing young as they will be the answer to the future and not the old dinosaurs that run the circus show today.

• Like 2

1,2,3. All nonsensical

4,5 ok

Love how farangs can't contribute to the discussion, but thais who pay taxes overseas are free to contribute.

Ohhh. The hypocrisy.

This really should be a case of if you don't pay taxes, you don't have a say. Reading this nonsense is like listening to Fox News.

We are so deeply attached but aren't planning on coming back to.contribute any time soon, because where we live has social systems and benefits but we believe u lot back there should run a balanced budget????????

<deleted>

What a load of BS

I am Australian and no longer pay Taxes

So your telling me I have no right to any thing that goes on in my country

Many Falang keep their Thai families so his wife does not pay taxes, so she should have no right's

Rice Growers in the North have not been paid, so they pay no taxes so they have not right of say

Are you really serious, or are you just stirring up the members

Ok. Then.

Why should thailand have a debt ceiling? Why should it have a public referendum? Issues like this are extremely serious and have big consequences. Thailand has debt of 45% to GDP. There should be a debt ceiling and a balanced budget. To whos benefit is that?

This is serious not a telephone phone in. Yes. We overseas think you over there should do this or that????who the hell do they think they are?

I paid millions I tax, but as a farang I have no representation in Thailand, despite loving it very much.

But overseas thais with no financial stake are allowed. You can have a say, and should basically be ignored.

I left Uk and paid no tax there for a long time, why the hell should my opinion be considered.

Absolute hypocrisy for overseas thais many of whom live I countries that fund social systems from which they benefit through government spending to be telling thailand to cut theirs to zero.

Where did I say the wife's.living I Thailand have no rights? But for them to recommend a tax policy whilst living outside it is utter hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy is a terrible thing.. Overseas thais telling thailand how to live, but tax paying farangs living in Thailand cannot?

Oooh the irony.

No social spending for you, whilst I live overseas.

Beggar thy neighbour.

I think that the way forward is to fire the oldest 30% of the army, civil service, privatise the government assets and to spend the saved money on education and health outside Bangkok.

But of course overseas thais know better than me.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Reform, of course reform must be done but reform what?

This list is at least a start.

Thai at heart also has some good points, why not start a thread combining the best ideas, from all sources to create a meangful set of reforms?

A Thai wife taken to Europe can own land, will have an ID good for 5 years before an easy and almost free renewal, will only pay the 10.40 the rest of the population pays. No 90 day reporting etc. etc.

Add this reform to the list too?

(Sorry, a bit of a selfish post but then......)

Marvelous insight from Thai's who ran away to live in sensible places where rules with proper law and order prevail. They have learned to live in an ordered system which they now see as a much better way to run a country. However; they are dreaming if they believe that their 'Brothers and Sisters' in their Homeland will ever have the luxury of such a system of democracy as the 'powers that be' have no intention whatsoever of letting it happen. The only way for Thai's to achieve such a lifestyle is follow their brethren out through the door marked ''Exit''.

No explanation as to how ALL THE OVERSEAS THAIS were able to get together and agree upon these suggestions and then, miracle of miracles, write this outline that actually makes grammatical if not political sense. Could this be proof that most literate Thais are living overseas? Compared to the quality of news coverage concerning the ongoing protests this is actually readable. wai2.gif

But the skeptic (me) suspects it was not composed by ALL THE OVERSEAS THAIS... hence, just another opinion... seems like all the voices, influential or otherwise, are singing different songs to different lyrics and it's impossible to guess the tune because it keeps changing... sort of like listening to the chorus at a lunatic asylum and expecting it to make sense. Need more... coffee1.gif

Edited by IBoldnewguy
  • Like 1

Lots of my friends live abroad, nobody consulted them for this article. Let alone held a vote on what should and shouldn't be in the reform proposals.

So this isn't Thai's living abroad, this is written by someone, presumably Suthep PR men, then stamped as the "voice of Thai people abroad".

The budget cap/debt ceiling in particular would hand power to the unelected Senate from the elected house.

Step 3, Why elect a government to run the country if every infrastructure project requires a vote?! Suddenly anti-democracy protestors want votes on minor details, but no vote on who runs the country?!!

"Special to the Nation." Who is writing this? Thais overseas would include Thaksin and a lot of Thais that were run out of town in the 70s for protesting against government. The reform issue in Thailand has to look at an overall vision and strategy for the country that takes in to account the fragmented society and different origins and loyalties of its people. So any Thai masquerading as a "reformer" should first look at reforming the issue of the exclusivity of Bangkok.

In other words, reform has to begin with the concept of individual freedom and rights. New politicians who earn the right to represent people then can determine issues of national debt, balancing budgets etcetera. Needed Thai reform is a strategic issue about people not about things. Until Thais get this priority straight, they will never be able to reform law and order as it applies to "everyone" with dignity and right to expression and justice.

Then and only then can Thailand consider its national identity and how it will achieve its economic growth goals and "opportunity." People have to believe that there is equal opportunity and one can aspire to any position if given that opportunity. That's a key component of reform. A "people's council" of 185 "insiders" is certainly not the right path for embracing all of the Thai people and winning a case for the actual reforms it prioritizes.

Thailand needs to recognize the values of education, learning and freedom of speech. Not just continue on the same path. Education and the "use" of education has to be reformed. Transparency in government, business and education has to be made a key reform. Standards, values and knowledge have to be educated and encouraged to be used freely.

The "special" article above reflects how poorly this overseas Thai understands the true nature of needed real reform with a chance of sticking power and the basis of the issues in Thailand. If they can't face the reality of the way things are and address the key issues breaking the nation apart, then it's useless to print this preposterous type of letter. Thais overseas and in Thailand need to empower themselves by admitting the real problems. Blaming Thaksin or the "current" political crisis for everything that causes the need for reform in Thailand is senseless and a losing proposition.

Thais need honest, clean, intelligent inspired leaders.

Noitom I think you make some really good and valid points here, especially regarding Education and it's impact on the end result and as well the countries need for honest, clean, intelligent inspired leaders.

However, IMHO I think the OP, whoever it may be, also has some valid points that if combined together with others suggestions may be a "starting point" if you will to get the ball rolling on breaking down a long standing political system of corruption.

Education is key for a sustained (proper) democratic society in Thailand but that will take generations. Cleaning house and making all public servants accountable for what they say and do with the punishment befitting the crime is a good way to start.

• Like 1

If this list of recommendations were enacted, it would take care of the vast majority of problems that face the country. There is simply too much for politicians to gain, and to plunder, if there no limits on spending. And if there were limits - to be sure - it would cut severely into both populous policies that are ruinously insolvent, as well as the corruption and graft that goes along with them. These recommendations would essentially save the economic underpinnings and integrity of the country, it would even the playing field among the competing parties, and contribute to a functioning democracy.

• Like 1

If this list of recommendations were enacted, it would take care of the vast majority of problems that face the country. There is simply too much for politicians to gain, and to plunder, if there no limits on spending. And if there were limits - to be sure - it would cut severely into both populous policies that are ruinously insolvent, as well as the corruption and graft that goes along with them. These recommendations would essentially save the economic underpinnings and integrity of the country, it would even the playing field among the competing parties, and contribute to a functioning democracy.

I disagree, it simply hands power to the people who approve the funding.

"These recommendations would essentially save the economic underpinnings and integrity of the country"

Not at all, Debt is money is debt, economics 101, it sucks but that is how the system works. Thailand cannot simply shift money around and expect growth to compete with the economies of its neighbors. Yet it must compete, or be left behind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LWqgohO4E

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

with this so called "democratic party" they could install a dictatorship as many arabien countrys have. of course only without religions backgrounds. many farangs would support them only because democracy means nothing for them but not paying taxes, exploid the thai people even more ect all. that is why they are supporting suthep and his terroristic party. :-D

Great idea's all of them including the debt ceiling and voting over big projects it would force politicians to really explain projects and make sure they are good for the country. Too bad this will not happen.

The reason of the problems is the money that is made in this country by corruption if you are in government. Take that away and there are no more problems. Why do you think the ruling party resists change.. as they will loose out on raping and pillaging the country.

Do i think the democrats are clean.. no.. but right now they cant steal so they want to make sure their opponents cant steal either.. winner.. the Thai people.

• Like 1

"Special to the Nation." Who is writing this? Thais overseas would include Thaksin and a lot of Thais that were run out of town in the 70s for protesting against government. The reform issue in Thailand has to look at an overall vision and strategy for the country that takes in to account the fragmented society and different origins and loyalties of its people. So any Thai masquerading as a "reformer" should first look at reforming the issue of the exclusivity of Bangkok.

In other words, reform has to begin with the concept of individual freedom and rights. New politicians who earn the right to represent people then can determine issues of national debt, balancing budgets etcetera. Needed Thai reform is a strategic issue about people not about things. Until Thais get this priority straight, they will never be able to reform law and order as it applies to "everyone" with dignity and right to expression and justice.

Then and only then can Thailand consider its national identity and how it will achieve its economic growth goals and "opportunity." People have to believe that there is equal opportunity and one can aspire to any position if given that opportunity. That's a key component of reform. A "people's council" of 185 "insiders" is certainly not the right path for embracing all of the Thai people and winning a case for the actual reforms it prioritizes.

Thailand needs to recognize the values of education, learning and freedom of speech. Not just continue on the same path. Education and the "use" of education has to be reformed. Transparency in government, business and education has to be made a key reform. Standards, values and knowledge have to be educated and encouraged to be used freely.

The "special" article above reflects how poorly this overseas Thai understands the true nature of needed real reform with a chance of sticking power and the basis of the issues in Thailand. If they can't face the reality of the way things are and address the key issues breaking the nation apart, then it's useless to print this preposterous type of letter. Thais overseas and in Thailand need to empower themselves by admitting the real problems. Blaming Thaksin or the "current" political crisis for everything that causes the need for reform in Thailand is senseless and a losing proposition.

Thais need honest, clean, intelligent inspired leaders.

Thais might need them but do they deserve them considering the majority of Thais see nothing wrong with corruption as long as they benefit as well