Protest leader Suthep marches again today seeking financial aid for farmers

webfact

Protest leader Suthep marches again today seeking financial aid for farmers
By Digital Content

13919928762710.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 10 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban will march along Sukhumvit Road, from Ekamai to Asoke, today to seek people’s financial contributions to farmers who are demonstrating in Bangkok to press for overdue payments for their rice from the state's rice pledging scheme.

He said the money would be for the farmers’ daily spending while in Bangkok and lawsuits against the government.
The farmers from many rice-planting provinces have rallied at the Commerce Ministry after having waited in vain for the government to pay for the rice they sold under the rice subsidy programme.

Mr Suthep said he expected to make more than Bt10 million from today’s march, which starts at Ekamai skytrain station and moves along Ekamai Road, New Phetchburi Road, Soi Thonglor and Sukhumvit Road. Asoke intersection where one of the rally sites is located will be his final destination.

Mr Suthep divided grieving farmers into three categories: those who delivered their rice but did not receive official receipts from rice mills; those receiving receipts after delivering their rice but had yet to sign contracts with the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC); and those having receipts and contracts with the BAAC after delivering their rice but have not been paid.

He said a people’s government must be set up as soon as possible so that rice in state stockpiles would be urgently sold to get money for farmers.

Akanat Promphan, spokesman of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), said the government and ruling Pheu Thai Party were trying to discredit people who have organised a forum to seriously discuss national reform.

He said the PDRC would not give up holding more forums and encouraging people to join discussions on national reform.

He said the farmers’ protest for rice payments are not related to the ongoing political demonstrations and the government should neither mislead the public nor claim that those coming from rice-planting provinces were not genuine farmers.

Farmers are out on the streets because they are in deep financial trouble from the rice scheme, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-10

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching NBTTV (nbttv.prd.go.th) last night. A bit on watermanagement and how well the government is prepared for the dry season. More on 'respect my vote', elections and another knowledgeble person stating that elections are democratic. Lastly a very brief topic on the rice scheme. To make it more understandable for foreigners an English language explanation was displayed:

"root cause rice pledge scheme: political problems"

Now I understand why fab4 rather watches Suthep nightly rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

I hope that the farmers get paid soon. This is Bulls*&t, leaving the farmers hanging like this, after promising them the money for their rice, to be paid last October.

If not for the current political impasse, I'm fairly certain that payments would have been forthcoming. As it is, the caretaker govt's hands are tied and no one has any solution other than saying that they should have been paid already (which incidentally, is NOT a solution).

Some will undoubtedly say that the simplest solution is for YL to resign and magically, everything will be fine again. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. This is a high stakes game and only a naive child would think that that is a feasible solution.

If not for the current political impasse, I'm fairly certain that payments would have been forthcoming...

Yes, but where from? Let's just pretend for a minute that there was no political impasse. Now where do you suppose the Yingluck administration would have raised the money?

• Like 2

10million baht to be raised in today's march there must be some very wealthy people on that particular route that is a huge amount of 20,50 and 100 baht notes who will account for what goes into Suthep's pocket and the farmers pockets !!!

• Like 2

Jump on the bandwagon, driven by people that your own followers recently described as "too ignorant to have the vote."

Shameless hypocrisy. I feel tainted just reading about it.

Sky Blue TV showed a rice farmer family on the stage last night, I noticed that the Singha Beer heiress was not one of the people involved at the time.

• Like 2

Jump on the bandwagon, driven by people that your own followers recently described as "too ignorant to have the vote."

Shameless hypocrisy. I feel tainted just reading about it.

It is Thainess.

This country's history is full of such duplicitous examples dating from 1932 and before.

10million baht to be raised in today's march there must be some very wealthy people on that particular route that is a huge amount of 20,50 and 100 baht notes who will account for what goes into Suthep's pocket and the farmers pockets !!!

The big notes goes into Sutheps pockets. And the coins goes to the farmers

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

No way, people are giving 500 and 1.000 Baht notes.

Reading the papers and watching TV you can see it.

Or just look at the donation box at the demonstration base camps.

Maybe that is more than you would be willing to share from your income, but some business staff, earning between 10k and 20k are positive they want to give 5% or 10% of their monthly salary for Suthep and the demonstrators or now for the protesting farmers. That is Thai style, too!

• Like 1

I hope that the farmers get paid soon. This is Bulls*&t, leaving the farmers hanging like this, after promising them the money for their rice, to be paid last October.

If not for the current political impasse, I'm fairly certain that payments would have been forthcoming. As it is, the caretaker govt's hands are tied and no one has any solution other than saying that they should have been paid already (which incidentally, is NOT a solution).

Some will undoubtedly say that the simplest solution is for YL to resign and magically, everything will be fine again. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. This is a high stakes game and only a naive child would think that that is a feasible solution.

So what's you solution???

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is just a gimmick gesture to try to show that they care about the farmers.

Their attitude of the farmers are something like "We pity you ignorant farmers who doesn't know any better and got tricked by the Thaksin regime. But don't worry, we the educated smart people will come and rescue you!"

• Like 2

As the Yingluck administration claims that those farmers who have now to come to Bangkok " are not real farmers ", they continue to distance their own incriminating role in their plight. For those that scoff at the reform panels that Suthep continues to organize and hold, look to the other side of the divide and see a yawning vacuum of public debate. Not only is the Yingluck administration not interested in reform talks, they refuse to recognize the farmers on the streets, and won't even talk to the EC ! This is an administration that is open to talking to the people ? Only on their own terms, and only if you promise not to embarrass them.

• Like 2

The big notes goes into Sutheps pockets. And the coins goes to the farmers

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So you suggest that gonna collect even more than 10 million, as that would consist of only the small change, as i understand from your false accusations.

Suthep must have some big support, don't you agree ?

As the Yingluck administration claims that those farmers who have now to come to Bangkok " are not real farmers ", they continue to distance their own incriminating role in their plight. For those that scoff at the reform panels that Suthep continues to organize and hold, look to the other side of the divide and see a yawning vacuum of public debate. Not only is the Yingluck administration not interested in reform talks, they refuse to recognize the farmers on the streets, and won't even talk to the EC ! This is an administration that is open to talking to the people ? Only on their own terms, and only if you promise not to embarrass them.

Well as most of the Yingluck administration aren't real politicians either they should all get on very well...! thumbsup.gif

why do you always totally avoid the fact these payments are from before the protest started, does that spoil your biased garbage replies. The govt has owed this money for a very long time but they have used it elsewhere(their own personal accounts maybe) but you continually deny this and say it is due to the protest. As long as you lot cannot admit to the truth we will keep seeing all the lies and innuendo that you prefer, pretty pathetic really, must be reading the red handbook on blaming others for everything.

Why do you let your bias prevent you from reading what is actually written rather than what you want to read? I do not avoid the fact that these payments were due before the protests started. If you would like to retread my post, you might (if you don't let your bias get in the way) realise that I made no mention of any protests.

Instead, I am referring to the current political impasse which is preventing the formation of a govt which will have the necessary authority to start making payments.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand