Letting O Visa lapse and remain for another 3-4 months

After 14 years on non-imm "O" visas (with 9 retirement extensions followed by 5 marriage extensions) I am about to leave Thailand in order to take my family back to my home country for a few years. My current visa will expire on 21 March. My departure date will be sometime in June. I am trying to understand what my options are to remain here for another 3+ months after my visa expires.

Option 1: go ahead and renew my "O" visa even though I will only use it for a short while. It will necessitate having to renew my passport which has only 9 months of validity remaining.

Option 2: Let my visa lapse and make a series of consecutive border runs for 30 days each until my departure date. While inconvenient is there any reason why this may not be possible?

Are there any other options short of going to a Thai embassy in another country to apply for a 60 day tourist visa?

Thanks.

You can extend for 60 days because you have a Thai wife, cost 1900 baht, but not sure what that would buy you if you qualify for a 1 year extension for either marriage or retiremnt other than there are no financials required. If you still qualify, why not do the 1 year extension?

You would not have to renew your passport to get another extension. They will just do the extension for the length of you passport validity,

You could also get a 60 day extension to visit your wife. Then do a border run for a 15 day (30 if from a G7 country) entry and get another 60 day extension.