Convert Tourist to Retirement Visa?

Righto anyway the bottom line it is basically the same visa based on retirement, as I recall my brother was given misleading information that he had to return to the USA to get his retirement visa. He is older and I subsequently figured out when it came to be my time to turn 50 I just had to got to KL and get an o visa., I had a B visa at the time. Apparently they weren't converting b visas to o visas. And once I cancelled my work permit I had a whole week to get outa the country.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

It's possible not all immigration offices are willing to do it with a "B" Visa, but technically you did not need to leave the country to apply for an "O" Visa. You were applying to have your permission to stay extended, but the reason changed from work to retirement. The point is you are simply getting your permission to stay extended every year, not a new visa.

Edited by beechguy

As I am in the same situation, can I confirm please, that I can convert a 30 day exempt entry/ single or double entry tourist visa to an O visa in Chiang Mai WITHOUT having a police or medical check. Then, when that expires I can extend it as per usual for retirement.

However, do I have to have 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months or 3 months before applying for the O visa, or is that only for the extension? I have stayed 2 years in LOS on retirement before, but that O visa has expired, so I will be starting from scratch.

How long before the tourist visa expires can I go to immigration to convert it?

Then, having done everything and got the extension for retirement, can I get a re entry permit and return to country of origin for 6 months without losing it, or can I get a re entry permit on the O visa ( haven't got the extension yet ) without losing it if out of Thailand past the expiry date?

I may have to return to country of origin after 6 months, and if I have a double entry tourist visa that will take me up to departure date without reaching the end of the O visa so I can extend it. I hope that isn't confusing.

Sorry for probably repeating what has already been said, but I find it quite confusing and the discussion about O A and O visas hasn't helped. I just need to be crystal clear on the details before spending a large sum of money on the ticket.

Does the panel think it is better to just get a single tourist visa entry or a double entry?

I'd go to the embassy for a non O, but it is a very long way off and expensive to travel to/ stay in the capital. Their web site also says that I have to have the money in a Thai bank before applying. I know that it has been said that you don't need the money in the bank, but that is what they say.

A medical extension has been mentioned several times, but what is it?

Thanks for the help already given on this thread.

To convert a visa exempt entry or tourist visa it will be necessary to demonstrate the financial requirements for the subsequent extension of stay can be met.

An extension of stay would have to be applied for before the 90 day visa conversion expires.

A re-/ entry permit can easily be obtained together with the extension of stay

For the conversion the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned, of course it will need to be when you later go for a 1 year extension of stay. That you will need to do bewteen 60 to 90 days after getting the conversion.

Go as soon as possible to immigration, with a real 60 day tourist visa within the last 30 days. You need at least 15 days left to stay.

Might be better to apply in your home country, but after the 1 year extension is done you can get a re-entry permit and stay away for 6 months without a problem. Right after the conversion it wil mean that you cannot get a 1 year extension as you will not b in the country on tme to apply for a 1 year extension.

As I am in the same situation, can I confirm please, that I can convert a 30 day exempt entry/ single or double entry tourist visa to an O visa in Chiang Mai WITHOUT having a police or medical check. Then, when that expires I can extend it as per usual for retirement.

However, do I have to have 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months or 3 months before applying for the O visa, or is that only for the extension? I have stayed 2 years in LOS on retirement before, but that O visa has expired, so I will be starting from scratch.

Then, having done everything and got the extension for retirement, can I get a re entry permit and return to country of origin for 6 months without losing it, or can I get a re entry permit on the O visa ( haven't got the extension yet ) without losing it if out of Thailand past the expiry date?

I may have to return to country of origin after 6 months, and if I have a double entry tourist visa that will take me up to departure date without reaching the end of the O visa so I can extend it. I hope that isn't confusing.

Sorry for probably repeating what has already been said, but I find it quite confusing and the discussion about O A and O visas hasn't helped. I just need to be crystal clear on the details before spending a large sum of money on the ticket.

Does the panel think it is better to just get a single tourist visa entry or a double entry?

I'd go to the embassy for a non O, but it is a very long way off and expensive to travel to/ stay in the capital. Their web site also says that I have to have the money in a Thai bank before applying. I know that it has been said that you don't need the money in the bank, but that is what they say.

You can do it with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry but must have 15 days remaining on the entry. You can do the conversion as soon as you enter the country..

All you need is proof the money is in the bank it does not have to be there for 60 days to do the conversion.

Once you do the the extension you can get a re-entry permit. Their is no limit on how long you can be out of the country as long as return before the extension runs out,

Rather than getting a tourist visa you should try and get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. If your country only has a embassy or official Thai consulate they will not do a non-o visa In this case a single entry is the only option.

You probably should not doddle with the tourist visa conversion. My experience you should have at least one day left. They wont processnyou on the last day of validity I found out that the hard way. I've heard others say 15 days. Not sure about multiple entries on the converted o visa. You have to ask.

The retirement extension is valid one year, the clock start ticking when you get it and continues ticking even if you leave the country.

The medical extension is a letter from a doctor requesting additional time in country, valid 90 days, you may apply for a one year retirement extention from that.

Edited by axle chassis

For the conversion the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned, of course it will need to be when you later go for a 1 year extension of stay. That you will need to do bewteen 60 to 90 days after getting the conversion.

Go as soon as possible to immigration, with a real 60 day tourist visa within the last 30 days. You need at least 15 days left to stay.

Might be better to apply in your home country, but after the 1 year extension is done you can get a re-entry permit and stay away for 6 months without a problem. Right after the conversion it wil mean that you cannot get a 1 year extension as you will not b in the country on tme to apply for a 1 year extension.

Thank you for that. I think I'll have to just use a double tourist visa if I only go for 6 months as it doesn't look like I'll have time to get the extension. Can I confirm that the initial non O is 90 days and can't apply for extension till one month before it expires?

BTW, the web site I was looking at was not the real embassy, just a pretend one trying to get customers. The real one says you must have the equivalent of the money required. They also want a full life CV which is a bit onerous. Actually, it's simpler to do it in LOS.

You probably should not doddle with the tourist visa conversion. My experience you should have at least one day left. They wont processnyou on the last day of validity I found out that the hard way. I've heard others say 15 days. Not sure about multiple entries on the converted o visa. You have to ask.

The retirement extension is valid one year, the clock start ticking when you get it and continues ticking even if you leave the country.

The medical extension is a letter from a doctor requesting additional time in country, you may apply for a one year retirement extention from that.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

My facts are straight. You are correct to say that disinformation is not helpful here which is why I have patiently corrected you. You have been getting ANNUAL EXTENSIONS BASED ON RETIREMENT in Thailand. Many people incorrectly call those retirement visas (which they are not). They are most certainly not O-A visas, which again are only available from HOME countries, NEVER in Thailand. I think this is more than enough now.

It is important for people to know that annual retirement extensions are NOT O-A visas. This is because O-A visas (never done in Thailand) are very specific things with DIFFERENT features and application requirement details than annual extensions done IN THAILAND.

Actually, I think I can now PROVE, even to you, that you have not been getting O-A visas in Thailand. Open your passport and look at your RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS. Do you see anything on those stamps saying O-A visa? I thought not. thumbsup.gif

THIS is what an actual O-A visa looks like. Note it was obtained in Sydney. That's in Australia, not Thailand, mate:

attachicon.gifnon-o-a.jpg

Hi Jingthing. Apologies in advance for jumping in on all the fun here but I wanted to ask a question based on your informative posting. I will not attempt to sound like I know what I'm talking about and would appreciate your insight and/or experience.

I am in country now on a tourist visa. My bank account is topped up and waiting for my 50th birthday in a couple days. I have met with the local immigration officer and she explained how she will assist me to convert my tourist visa to a non O visa (her words not mine) so that I can stay in country for the year.

What I am trying to understand and clarify is regarding the import of my personal effects and vehicle. I have been operating under the premise that upon receiving my retirement visa that 1 vehicle and personal effects can be imported tax/duty free.

Do you have any idea or experience how this will play out? It sounds like there is a difference in benefits. I will not be returning to my home country if I can help it but I could easily head to the Thai Consulate in Malaysia if needed. The Immigration officer here has been pretty cool about things and said she would help but I actually haven't clarified with her about the pending arrival of my personal effects and vehicle.

Feedback appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Cannot assist with the issues about personal effects.

The immigration officer was correct in the information given. What was described was the first stage of a two part process.

A "Conversion" of a tourist visa to a non "o" visa is only available to those who meet the requirement for a subsequent extension of stay. In your case meeting the age and financial requirements are crucial. Please note you may have to prove any monies came from abroad. If the tourist visa "conversion" is successfully applied for a stay of 90 days is permitted. Towards the end of the 90 days the second step toward obtaining a "retirement" extension of stay (not a visa !) is undertaken by, with approx 30 of the 90 days remaining, applying for the extension of stay at immigration.

Edited by thepool

My facts are straight. You are correct to say that disinformation is not helpful here which is why I have patiently corrected you. You have been getting ANNUAL EXTENSIONS BASED ON RETIREMENT in Thailand. Many people incorrectly call those retirement visas (which they are not). They are most certainly not O-A visas, which again are only available from HOME countries, NEVER in Thailand. I think this is more than enough now.

It is important for people to know that annual retirement extensions are NOT O-A visas. This is because O-A visas (never done in Thailand) are very specific things with DIFFERENT features and application requirement details than annual extensions done IN THAILAND.

Actually, I think I can now PROVE, even to you, that you have not been getting O-A visas in Thailand. Open your passport and look at your RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS. Do you see anything on those stamps saying O-A visa? I thought not. thumbsup.gif

THIS is what an actual O-A visa looks like. Note it was obtained in Sydney. That's in Australia, not Thailand, mate:

Hi Jingthing. Apologies in advance for jumping in on all the fun here but I wanted to ask a question based on your informative posting. I will not attempt to sound like I know what I'm talking about and would appreciate your insight and/or experience.

I am in country now on a tourist visa. My bank account is topped up and waiting for my 50th birthday in a couple days. I have met with the local immigration officer and she explained how she will assist me to convert my tourist visa to a non O visa (her words not mine) so that I can stay in country for the year.

What I am trying to understand and clarify is regarding the import of my personal effects and vehicle. I have been operating under the premise that upon receiving my retirement visa that 1 vehicle and personal effects can be imported tax/duty free.

Do you have any idea or experience how this will play out? It sounds like there is a difference in benefits. I will not be returning to my home country if I can help it but I could easily head to the Thai Consulate in Malaysia if needed. The Immigration officer here has been pretty cool about things and said she would help but I actually haven't clarified with her about the pending arrival of my personal effects and vehicle.

Feedback appreciated.

Getting an extension of stay based upon retirement does not allow you to bring in anything duty or tax free. You must have a work permit to get that.

You can do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa entry at any time now as long as you do it with at least 15 days remaining on your current entry

Feedback appreciated.

Getting an extension of stay based upon retirement does not allow you to bring in anything duty or tax free. You must have a work permit to get that.

You can do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa entry at any time now as long as you do it with at least 15 days remaining on your current entry

From the Thai Embassy...

STEP 3: BRING YOUR HOUSEHOLD ITEMS TO THAILAND

You will be given six months from your entry to Thailand to bring in your household items from your country. If your permit grants you to stay for a year, these items will not be taxed. Otherwise, they will be taxed at a rate of 20% for import duty and 7% value added tax.

However, the deadline can be flexible. If you expect your items to arrive past the six-month deadline, you may inform the Customs two months before the deadline to request for an extension.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gnon-o-a.jpg

Feedback appreciated.

From the Thai Embassy...

STEP 3: BRING YOUR HOUSEHOLD ITEMS TO THAILAND

You will be given six months from your entry to Thailand to bring in your household items from your country. If your permit grants you to stay for a year, these items will not be taxed. Otherwise, they will be taxed at a rate of 20% for import duty and 7% value added tax.

However, the deadline can be flexible. If you expect your items to arrive past the six-month deadline, you may inform the Customs two months before the deadline to request for an extension.

Do you have the actual link to this information ?

I suspect this comes from a non official source.