Looking for (secondhand) Kindle in CM

Kaiho87

I can't order a Kindle from Amazon directly because I don't have a credit card at the moment, and Amazon doesn't accept Paypal.

Is anyone selling his old model secondhand? I would be interested in taking over any kindle, as long as it's in good condition.

I'm in Chiang Mai Old Town, and can always come to a place convenient to the seller to do the transaction.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a secondhand Kindle. I've owned 3 and my daughter 2. All have died at around 18 months old. As you won't know for sure how old it is, you might not have it long before it becomes useless.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Go for a Kobo, Nook, or Sony. I have them all, and never a lick of trouble from any.

Plus, they all read .epub files which are already the reigning format for e-books.

And if you already have some .mobi format books, "Calibre" can convert them with just a button press.

Go for a Kobo, Nook, or Sony. I have them all, and never a lick of trouble from any.

Plus, they all read .epub files which are already the reigning format for e-books.

And if you already have some .mobi format books, "Calibre" can convert them with just a button press.

I've had a kindle before, and was quite satisfied with it. I was so happy even that I left it in an airplane by accident =/ hence why I'm looking for a new one.

Reading reviews online, Kindle overall still has the upper hand on the e-reader market.

I wouldn't necessarily mind using a competitor's brand, but Kindle seems best price/quality. Also, are any of those things you're suggesting for sale here in Chiang Mai?

I think Nook just passed Kindle as the best deal all around. Don't know but am happy with my Kindle. Not sure if the others have the amount of books available with a kindle or if the prices for books are comparable. I found an incredible amount of free books on kindle.

If you don't have a credit card how can you purchase books?

I think Nook just passed Kindle as the best deal all around. Don't know but am happy with my Kindle. Not sure if the others have the amount of books available with a kindle or if the prices for books are comparable. I found an incredible amount of free books on kindle.

I just read books about pirates, bays, and anything in between. They usually come for free.

• Like 1

I just read books about pirates, bays, and anything in between. They usually come for free.

Just learning how to down load movies and TV from them. Will have to look into the books. Can they be transferred to a Kindle?

Any book, regardless of format, can be side-loaded into any reader after being processed by the free software program called "Calibre."

The format called .epub is becoming the industry standard, but because of the availability of Amazon's books and reader which uses the .mobi format, that format is still very popular for now. Virtually all major magazines are now digitally available, but usually in .pdf format making them difficult to read on anything other than a large tablet or iPad.

There are over half a million free book legally available through programs such as 'Project Gutenberg' and its local organizations in Europe, Canada, the US, and Australia. You can also borrow books from many public libraries. Amazon sells books, and is the most widely known retailer on the market, but there are a dozen other retailers on line today selling almost as many books as Amazon. The amount of file sharing sites far outnumber the legitimate retailers, and virtually any and every book available in digitized format, including comic books, can be downloaded from them.

The availability of newer books is about the same for all the major e-readers today, and all the newer readers have the same instant downloading ability as Kindle. Most have built-in dictionaries in many languages, the ability to annotate, bookmark, change font, adjust font size and line spacing, and even connect to the Internet as a web browser. Many have back-lighting for reading in darkened areas.

Quite often, Amazon places 'restrictions' on the books it sells, and because of the wireless connectivity to their Kindle reader, has in the past 'taken books back!' Many of the Kindle books are also 'DRM' protected which means that if you buy it, you are not allowed (and technically unable) to share it with family or friends on their readers unless you jailbreak the DRM coding.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a secondhand Kindle. I've owned 3 and my daughter 2. All have died at around 18 months old. As you won't know for sure how old it is, you might not have it long before it becomes useless.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle - that's why I've had 3! They just seem to have a planned obsolescence of around a year and a half but I use it every day and gives me a lot of pleasure and they're cheaper every time I buy one.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle - that's why I've had 3! They just seem to have a planned obsolescence of around a year and a half but I use it every day and gives me a lot of pleasure and they're cheaper every time I buy one.

Are the books you buy saved on your computer so you can down load them on your new One when you purchase it?

Are the books you buy saved on your computer so you can down load them on your new One when you purchase it?

You can transfer kindle to kindle, since amazon has a record of your downloads. just register your new kindle, log-in to your amazon account, and make the transfer. or, if only on your computer, plug-in new kindle and go to "documents" folder on your new kindle and put in the .mobi files. i've had a kindle break twice while flying, not sure if that is a coincidence. by breaking i mean lines all across the screen. both replaced for free.

You can transfer kindle to kindle, since amazon has a record of your downloads. just register your new kindle, log-in to your amazon account, and make the transfer. or, if only on your computer, plug-in new kindle and go to "documents" folder on your new kindle and put in the .mobi files. i've had a kindle break twice while flying, not sure if that is a coincidence. by breaking i mean lines all across the screen. both replaced for free.

Thanks for the info. I think when I fly I will use audio books. LOL

I belong to an e-book reading forum and am surprised at Kindle's popularity considering how often they break down. We even see it here in this thread, with someone commenting that the have had two previous ones but bought another despite their seemingly planned obsolescence. We're still using the same e-reader we've had for years. I pass along a Sony that I bought about 5 years ago to my wife when I won a Kobo in a contest three years ago. We read 2-4 hours every day, and these things make life a lot simpler. I confess to missing the time spent browsing in second-hand book stores, but I make it up browsing the on-line shops.

I have bought 3 second hand kindles on Ebay in US for about 40 bucks each - one to replace one my then,partner left on an airport bus. Never had a moment's bother with them in years. Brilliant kit in my experience. Wouldnt be without it - and easy to read in sunlight, unlike phone/laptop/tablet!

I have bought 3 second hand kindles on Ebay in US for about 40 bucks each - one to replace one my then,partner left on an airport bus. Never had a moment's bother with them in years. Brilliant kit in my experience. Wouldnt be without it - and easy to read in sunlight, unlike phone/laptop/tablet!

Screen cracking seems to be the most frequently reported problems with them, but Amazon seems to have very good Customer Service, and usually replaces them. Personally, I never liked the fact that Amazon has in the past, 'taken back' books from people when they have a dispute with an author. I don't like the fact that they 'can' take things back without even asking permission first. I understand that this is 'possible' with any of the e-readers that use a wi-fi connection for direct downloads, such as Nook, Sony, or Kobo, but they've never done it. Only Kindle... We read several hours every day, my wife using a Sony and I read on a Kobo. She likes the dictionary function (English isn't her first language) and I like the optional back-light and scale-ability of fonts and line spacing that I get with Kobo. We side-load our books anyway, using 'Calibre,' rather than use direct downloads. I like to have a back-up of my library in my computer, rather than relying on a vendor to do it.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I wouldn't worry about Amazon taking anything back. As far as I can see it only happened a couple of times (first time was an unofficial copy of 1984, much to the delight of the B&N PR dept no doubt) and it's about as likely as Adobe enforcing its EULA to prevent you selling your copy of Photoshop to your next door neighbour. Amazon's service policy for Kindle is second to none - they even replaced mine when I broke it (I owned up) and refunded the return shipping from here to the US too. Almost three years of daily use and no trouble at all. I wouldn't be without Calibre either.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about Amazon taking anything back. As far as I can see it only happened a couple of times

I wouldn't be without Calibre either.

The fact that it 'can' happen is what I object to. It feels too invasive to me... as if Amazon can reach into my living room and just take a book when it wants to, without even asking my permission. Silly, I know, but that's how it feels. As if Microsoft could come into my computer and take back a program. We spend money to firewall our computers to prevent unauthorized access, but nothing to protect our e-readers, phones, or tablets.

Calibre is an indispensable tool for the e-reader owner. It's constantly being improved by its creator, Kovid Goyal and a host of others working together on an open-source program. I've had numerous discussions with Kovid on the use of Calibre by us computer illiterates, giving him ideas on how 'we' see it compared with how code writes view the system, and he's more than willing to add a bit of this and that to make it even easier for us to use. Kovid's an active member of an e-reader forum that I frequent, as is his wife, Krittika, and always available to help users make more effective use of the program.

Edited by FolkGuitar

^ #21 'The fact that it 'can' happen is what I object to. It feels too invasive to me... as if Amazon can reach into my living room and just take a book when it wants to, without even asking my permission.'

What if you 'ahem' deploy 'torrented' Kindle and other ebooks to your Kindle; will Kindle reach out to delete? Suppose not if you have their models without eWire.

Am seriously looking to buy a new Paperwhite 2 w/o wifi; but am postponing this purchase until I see the apparently soon to offered 'ICE WINE' model 300ppi HighResolution KindlePaperwhite Q2 2014

Excellent youtube comparisons here, Kindle vs Kobo and others:

^ #21 'The fact that it 'can' happen is what I object to. It feels too invasive to me... as if Amazon can reach into my living room and just take a book when it wants to, without even asking my permission.'

What if you 'ahem' deploy 'torrented' Kindle and other ebooks to your Kindle; will Kindle reach out to delete?

They can only delete stuff that they've sent you in the first place. If you load books using Calibre they don't know they're there.