First time visitor to Korat city. Some questions...

jackvale

Last month I was visiting Korat and some friends took me to the Zoo with their children. It was a very enjoyable day out for all. Cost for foreigner is 500B and 70B for a Thai but if you have a Thai license you will get in for the Thai price.

We also visited a Temple which was good but Im not sure of the name of it, maybe one of the local members can help.

About 70 km West of Korat, on the way to Bangkok, you can visit Khao Yai National Park (Pak Chong).

You'll need transport for this trip though, there is a park entrance fee too.

Also, South of Korat in the Pak Thong Chai amphur is an area known as Wang Nam Khieo, you'll also need transport.

https://www.google.com.my/search?q=Wang+Nam+Khieo&sa=X&rlz=1T4NOOH_enMY501MY501&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=26r5Uoe2O8SOrgf61YDQCw&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=618

• Like 2

About 70 km West of Korat, on the way to Bangkok, you can visit Khao Yai National Park (Pak Chong).

Also, South of Korat in the Pak Thong Chai amphur is an area known as Wang Nam Khieo, you'll also need transport.

https://www.google.com.my/search?q=Wang+Nam+Khieo&sa=X&rlz=1T4NOOH_enMY501MY501&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=26r5Uoe2O8SOrgf61YDQCw&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=618

This is great for a picnic, love going here and does not cost that much, also Korat Zoo is fun, the night markets are great and if you are lonely at night you can try Ya Mo park in the evening as you will find uni girls looking to make some extra money to help with there uni fee cost biggrin.png

This is great for a picnic, love going here and does not cost that much, also Korat Zoo is fun, the night markets are great and if you are lonely at night you can try Ya Mo park in the evening as you will find uni girls looking to make some extra money to help with there uni fee cost biggrin.png

Thank you all. Anything to do in the city itself? People offline have been saying "go to the mall" and not much else. Any hotel recommendations near the mall then please?

Just out of interest, why do you want to stay next to the Mall, do you intend to spend every day shopping???

Surely you would be better staying nearer the nightlife if you intend going out at night that is.

HL

Sounds like you've never been to Korat. ;-) There's is no nightlife. Of course there's some bars, some of the falang operated, and there's quite a few good restaurants, but other than that it's dead at night.

Just out of interest, why do you want to stay next to the Mall, do you intend to spend every day shopping???

Surely you would be better staying nearer the nightlife if you intend going out at night that is.

HL

Sounds like you've never been to Korat. ;-) There's is no nightlife. Of course there's some bars, some of the falang operated, and there's quite a few good restaurants, but other than that it's dead at night.

I agree, it has been some years but I spent many nights in Korat years ago.

Didn't like the place too much.

The hotel near the Mall would be Rachaphruk Grand, but will cost more than the OP stated. Went off the place when they opened a disco in it.

I preferred to stay at the Hermitage.

The Zoo is good actually and I would recommend a visit to Phi Mai

HL

Define nightlife .... if bars and restaurants don't count.

Is nightlife code for go-go bars or are you a live Western music fan?smile.png

Thank you for all the replies and great tourist info. If I live there as an expat, what can I do from day to day? I don't drink alcohol nor wish to meet the ladies of the night. I am eager to see the park for recreational cycling and I guess meeting Thais at the mall. From my research, this is, it seems, what Korat expats do.

1. The zoo is quite nice. Google maps coordinates (simply copy and past them into google maps): 14.850268,102.074833

2. They also have a petrified wood museum, quite close to the zoo, but just like the zoo it's not in town. Coordinates: 14.85801,102.027012

3. Phimai historical part is definitely worth seeing. You can take a bus to Phimai from the main bus station in Korat which isn't that far from the mall. It's about 30 clicks from Korat to Phimai. Coordinates: Phimai 15.221086,102.493835

Bus station in Korat: 14.98911,102.094687

4. There's a place called Sai Ngam that features a mangrove cove that's a thousand years old, if I remember correctly. You can walk underneeath the trees and check out the awesome aerial roots which have turned into additional trunks. The entire cove is one organism. It's on the way to Khon Khaen. Coordinates: 15.226376,102.504189

5. About 50 clicks in direction of Bangkok is an ancient (1000+ year old) reclining Buddha statue in a temple called Wat Dhammmarachraksemaram. The village it's in is called Sung Noen. Coordinates: 14.917013,101.79423

6. In Korat you will find a tiny temple called Wat Phayap a.k.a. cave temple which's walls and ceilings are decorated with crystals and stalagmites/stalactites. Coordinates: 14.978534,102.099315

7. In regards to national parks there's Khao Yai national park (you can take a bus to Pak Chong and then rent a scooter in Pak Chong and drive to the park yourself. If you really want to explore this park you will need a vehicle. The fee for the scooters is 300/day. You can rent them in the park as well, but they're more expensive). Coordinates of the scooter rental place: 14.70289,101.412392

Then there's Wang Nam Khiao. I've been there only once during an English camp and have no idea what's there that's worth seeing. Wikipedia might be able to tell you. Coordinates: 14.70289,101.412392

Then there's a park that's adjacent of Khao Yai called Thaplan. You can book trekking tours there. They have a 4 day-tour. You will hike 2 days into the jungle to a place where there's 3 over 100 meter long fossilized dinosaur footsteps in the rock next to a creek. I'm not sure if you can book the tour in the park. The best way would probably to google it. Coordinates:

8. Also on the way to Khon Khaen is a 900+ year old temple ruin called Prasat Phanom Wan. You can search for that on google maps. It's about 20 clicks from Korat. You could do that together with Sai Ngam. Coordinates: 15.025095,102.193653

9. 134 clicks east of Korat are two ancient temple ruins worth seeing. They're a few clicks apart from each other. The first one (closer to Korat and up on a hill with a great view on clear days) is called Phanom Rung Historical Park. Coordinates: 14.531703,102.940412

The second one is called Mueang Tam. It's 141 clicks from Korat. Coordinates: 14.496119,102.98245

10. Korat has a park that's open until 8 pm or so. If jogging or inline skating is your thing then that's the place to do it. There's a lake in the middle and the track around it is just over 3 km long. Coordinates of the park entrance: 14.963438,102.090103

11. On the way from Korat to Bangkok is a cave called Khao Chan-Ngam which features prehistoric cave paintings. It's more an overhang than a cave, though, but the place is really nice!! It's about 60 clicks from Korat. Coordinates: 14.814705,101.595318 There's a temple there, too, called Wat Khao Chan Ngam.

12. Also in direction of Bangkok from the Khao Chan-Ngam cave is a gigantic white marble buddha statue located on a mountainside. It's clearly visible from the main road. The temple it belongs to is called Wat Thep Phitak Punnaram. Coordinates: 14.616278,101.26545

10 out of 10. Great effort and infothumbsup.gif

HL

Well, the nightlife there is regular bars and restaurants which are more or less scattered around town. There's no nightlife center and it's definitely nothing like Nana, Patpong or Khao San road. ;-)

Edited by pacovl46

1. The zoo is quite nice. Google maps coordinates (simply copy and past them into google maps): 14.850268,102.074833

2. They also have a petrified wood museum, quite close to the zoo, but just like the zoo it's not in town. Coordinates: 14.85801,102.027012

3. Phimai historical part is definitely worth seeing. You can take a bus to Phimai from the main bus station in Korat which isn't that far from the mall. It's about 30 clicks from Korat to Phimai. Coordinates: Phimai 15.221086,102.493835

4. There's a place called Sai Ngam that features a mangrove cove that's a thousand years old, if I remember correctly. You can walk underneeath the trees and check out the awesome aerial roots which have turned into additional trunks. The entire cove is one organism. It's on the way to Khon Khaen. Coordinates: 15.226376,102.504189

5. About 50 clicks in direction of Bangkok is an ancient (1000+ year old) reclining Buddha statue in a temple called Wat Dhammmarachraksemaram. The village it's in is called Sung Noen. Coordinates: 14.917013,101.79423

6. In Korat you will find a tiny temple called Wat Phayap a.k.a. cave temple which's walls and ceilings are decorated with crystals and stalagmites/stalactites. Coordinates: 14.978534,102.099315

7. In regards to national parks there's Khao Yai national park (you can take a bus to Pak Chong and then rent a scooter in Pak Chong and drive to the park yourself. If you really want to explore this park you will need a vehicle. The fee for the scooters is 300/day. You can rent them in the park as well, but they're more expensive). Coordinates of the scooter rental place: 14.70289,101.412392

Then there's Wang Nam Khiao. I've been there only once during an English camp and have no idea what's there that's worth seeing. Wikipedia might be able to tell you. Coordinates: 14.70289,101.412392

Then there's a park that's adjacent of Khao Yai called Thaplan. You can book trekking tours there. They have a 4 day-tour. You will hike 2 days into the jungle to a place where there's 3 over 100 meter long fossilized dinosaur footsteps in the rock next to a creek. I'm not sure if you can book the tour in the park. The best way would probably to google it. Coordinates:

8. Also on the way to Khon Khaen is a 900+ year old temple ruin called Prasat Phanom Wan. You can search for that on google maps. It's about 20 clicks from Korat. You could do that together with Sai Ngam. Coordinates: 15.025095,102.193653

9. 134 clicks east of Korat are two ancient temple ruins worth seeing. They're a few clicks apart from each other. The first one (closer to Korat and up on a hill with a great view on clear days) is called Phanom Rung Historical Park. Coordinates: 14.531703,102.940412

The second one is called Mueang Tam. It's 141 clicks from Korat. Coordinates: 14.496119,102.98245

10. Korat has a park that's open until 8 pm or so. If jogging or inline skating is your thing then that's the place to do it. There's a lake in the middle and the track around it is just over 3 km long. Coordinates of the park entrance: 14.963438,102.090103

11. On the way from Korat to Bangkok is a cave called Khao Chan-Ngam which features prehistoric cave paintings. It's more an overhang than a cave, though, but the place is really nice!! It's about 60 clicks from Korat. Coordinates: 14.814705,101.595318 There's a temple there, too, called Wat Khao Chan Ngam.

12. Also in direction of Bangkok from the Khao Chan-Ngam cave is a gigantic white marble buddha statue located on a mountainside. It's clearly visible from the main road. The temple it belongs to is called Wat Thep Phitak Punnaram. Coordinates: 14.616278,101.26545

10 out of 10. Great effort and infothumbsup.gif

Thanks, mate! I used to live in Korat for a year. I like photography, so naturally I explored the place. ;-)

HL

Well, the nightlife there is regular bars and restaurants which are more or less scattered around town. There's no nightlife center and it's definitely nothing like Nana, Patpong or Khao San road. ;-)
That's a plus point for Korat then!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

HL

Well you couldn't be more wrong as I have lived here for five years and still do. Thank god it's not like nana or pat pong. So you only think nightlife consists of Gogo bars and coyote bars then.

If you turn left at Big C and head towards Joho and then take a right at the Pegasus Hotel and head towards the Maharat Hospital you will find many Thai restaurants with live music every night also many nightclubs.

Not just on this road but all over the square mile from this road up to the Ban Kho night market on Suranarai Road. And if you haven't been to this area or this market then you don't know what your missing as the whole area is overloaded with students from all the universities on Suranarai Road. This market is packed out every night and has many food outlets of all types, all well used by the locals. Not as big as save one but just as busy. The nightclub next to the market Ban Gru, is the only one in Korat that I know of, to stay open till five ish although it's just about 100 percent young Thai's as its clientele.

But as the OP has now stated that he is not interested in alcohol or female company then I guess he is doing the right thing staying at the Mall....lol

HL

• Like 1

Go to The Grill Restaurant. Very Good 200 baht all u can eat or Grill, plus that Soi has some a Good Nightlife... It's on Chiang Phuek Rd near Maharat Hospital, great Party Scene next to 7 Bar , Hotels in the area, close to bus station...

Edited by Dannyboy6
  • Like 1

Go to The Grill Restaurant. Very Good 200 baht all u can eat or Grill, plus that Soi has some a Good Nightlife... It's on Chiang Phuek Rd near Maharat Hospital, great Party Scene next to 7 Bar , Hotels in the area, close to bus station...

The more I read about The Grill, the positive reviews are non stop. Thanks!

HL

Could you name and describe these good restaurants as I am always looking for somewhere new to dine. I find that the best food is in The Mall but gets boring after a while. Many thanks in advance.

Wow! What an informative post! I will print off and save in my car for when we want to go out for the day. Many thanks.

Not much to do in the area of The Mall at all.

I would try a hotel in the center of town.

Maybe" Klang Plaza 2".

A 5 min tuk tuk ride to The Mall.

A smaller, but good mall in Klang Plaza 2 as well.

Many good places to eat or have a drink.

Parks with exhibits to check out usually.

Several beautiful temples in the area.

Many massage places in the area, both traditional and "recreational"

Decent hotels in the area run 500-600 per night.

This is what I do when I need to go to The Mall and am required to spend the night in Khorat.

Attached photo is of the area I speak of.post-147745-0-63421200-1392171019_thumb.

Choke Dee!