Abhisit sets conditions for contesting election

webfact

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you going to get the neutral body from? Japan, Australia? Cause that's what you're going to have to do..... You all ready for it? It is abundantly clear that Thais cannot do this themselves. You need to forget about face and ask for help Thailand.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, that's the problem.

Which neutral body in this divided country ?

There is no neutral body here. And which will of the people ? Which people ? HIS PEOPLE, HIS WILL, as the loser of the election.

The loser of the election sets conditions to the PEOPLE REPRESENTATIVE to participate in next elections (which laws were made by HIS NOT ELECTED GOVERNMENT).

I let anyone with a minimal degree of intelligence judge for himself the "neutrality" of these declarations.

The current mess is the result of democracy. Therefore, democracy does not work. The masses are easy to manipulate. Which guarantees that the best manipulator wins. This is no way to run a family or company - let alone a country.

Are you North Korean or Russian ?

This mess is the result of the LACK of true democracy.

Thailand has been in the hand of the military since 1932, directly or indirectly and Thais have never been educated in a democratic way, they have no ideas of real democracy is.

That's why this pseudo democracy (where the army still retains all his power) doesn't work, because it's not a real democracy.

Democracy is not made by some pieces of paper, but the attitude of the people.

What do you want ? Another military government ? Another coup ? What for ? For more corruption, repression, human rights violations, censorship, widespread injustice and desperation ?

• Like 2

I honestly do not understand why this situation is so complicated.

The incumbent government bribed people to vote for them and they are calling their victory democratic???

That is bullshit.

What is so dam_n hard to understand? Can someone explain it to me???

I'll try to explain to you the nature of pre-election campaigning in Thailand.

All the parties bribe people to vote for them.

And the Dems actually outspent the PT campaigning last time around.

Mods/Admin are not the issue here - I'd already said they are extremely busy in an extraordinary, hectic time at TFV.

The issue here is your crude and vulgar choice of word, same as Abhisit at around the same time.

If you are not going to correct yourself, if you are unwilling to admit to your immoderate choice of a word that is OTT in its intemperate and widely offensive nature, then you lose any credibility you may ever have had, which is not much to begin with as you consistently post in ways that are derogatory and condescending towards posters you disagree with.

You don't say posters you disagree with are wrong, you consistently say posters you disagree with haven't any brains.

If you are not going to correct you post, you will require me to report it and if you don't care about that, then your credibility will go from zero to minus one hundred.

Did somebody die and appoint you on the CMPO?

These conditions are completely reasonable. It's also what the people want. Yingluck - particularly after this quite explicit proposal from Abhisit - will find it now increasingly difficult to turn it down. She can, of course, simply do what she's been doing - trying to arrange the rest of the polls without talking to the EC, and imagining instead that 113 constituencies will simply magically manifest on their own with all the conditions on the ground completely evaporated - or she can accept the inevitable, and take part in reform. Again, Pheu Thai - or any of the aliases it assumes - will almost inevitably be the future government. But any true reform that takes a real crack at corruption will inevitably edge Thaksin out of the system. That's basically what the Thai people want. That is the consensus. Abhisit knows that the Democrats will not form the government. But to Thaksin, the price is way too high. He wants it all. He's not interested in a Pheu Thai administration that he does not control. And so he - and Yingluck - will resist it.

• Like 1

As in this quote....."Four wishes of the people"?....Since when are these electoral minority coup-mongers and their shadowy supporters "The people"?........The people spoke on Feb. 2nd. and he is so afraid of what they said. He wants to 'deep-six' their opinion.

The people (most of them) voted already.

43 million (roughly) of the population were eligible to vote, yet only 20 million (roughly) did so out of a population of 70 million or so. That's less than 30% of the entire population. And (let's say) PT got around 50% of that vote, it means PT are only approved by around 15% of the population.

Is my maths correct? Did "the people" really vote for PT this time around?

When the election has finished you can pontificate all you like. Until then whatever you say is pointless (some uncharitable people might not even add that caveat).

Where are you going to get a neutral body? Even if you *could* find an outstanding panel of people widely trusted across the political divide, the professional rabble rousers (insert your own favourites here) will tear it down regardless in order to protect their own position of influence. Some people seriously need to be dragged before the courts and have their cases heard and/or - god help us - sentences IMPLEMENTED before this has a hope in hell of succeeding.

Yes, a neutral body is impossible because few among the elites of any sort are neutral. Forget neutrality because it no longer exists and is impossible to restore or recover. Abhisit and his cohorts remain completely out of contact with the country's new reality.

Neutrality is illusory.The old truths and old verities are gone. Present institutions and the coup written constitution are all a part of the ancien regime and thus ineffective. They in fact compound existing problems and challenges, making the extant circumstance untenable.

A new constitution needs to be written after the February 2nd election is completed forthwith and an adversarial system of checks and balances needs to be established by which both sides can slug it out and - most importantly - either side can accept the outcome whenever it doesn't prevail.

A new constitutional system of adversarial checks and balances, as best agreed by all sides, is required

Admitting openly to fundamental and serious divisions in the socioeconomics of the country is the new necessity in the new Thailand, and dealing effectively and openly with the new deeply rooted adversarial divisions are the necessary prerequisite to transform the country's political and legal systems to address the new reality.

Neutrality is the Wizard of Oz here.

Edited by Publicus

As in this quote....."Four wishes of the people"?....Since when are these electoral minority coup-mongers and their shadowy supporters "The people"?........The people spoke on Feb. 2nd. and he is so afraid of what they said. He wants to 'deep-six' their opinion.

43 million (roughly) of the population were eligible to vote, yet only 20 million (roughly) did so out of a population of 70 million or so. That's less than 30% of the entire population. And (let's say) PT got around 50% of that vote, it means PT are only approved by around 15% of the population.

When the election has finished you can pontificate all you like. Until then whatever you say is pointless (some uncharitable people might not even add that caveat).

I thought the elections WERE pretty much over now? Based on the numbers to date, what overwhelming majority did PT get?

If the election will finish?

anyway, till than some like to ignore all results made known so far. Of course Pheu Thai could have had millions more votes if only their supporter base in North and NorthEast wasn't harrassed by those pesky democracy lovers.

Mind you, with Bangko under Emergence Decree the Bangkok results could be nullified and Pheu Thai could get another opportunity to appeal to Bangkok voters wink.png

• Like 1

"If the PM wants to safeguard democracy as she had said, she must accept the four wishes of the people," Abhisit said."

Same old, same old from someone frothing at the mouth about wanting to be PM. but rejected at every turn...A one-trick pony Elitist, thinking he doesn't need to reform himself or his party, so the electorate must.

Follow the bouncing ball of all this coup-intentioned noise - anti-amnesty stuff...then... anti-Thaksin opionating...then... anti-electoral activism...then...reform before election.... now.... nullify, the election......What next? ....At least they are consistent in one thing....The underpinning of it all. Coup-intentionism by those who cannot be elected by "The People"

The most pitiful thing however is all this self-righteous, holier-than-thou bleating about 'reform'....If their intentions were honorable, they would take their opinionating about this to Parliament....But they know they will always be the minority there, as long as they don't conform themselves to the wishes of "The people"....Their entitlement arrogance doesn't allow them to do that...In their 'humble' opinion, "The people" need to 'conform' themselves to their enlightened Political insights.....

Next time I will tell you what I really thinkwai.gif

If you take the time to read the news you will see that there have been a number of polls conducted that Abhisit is referring to - these represent the people, albeit a small cross section.

Instead every post of your reds the same - frothing, elitist, coup mongers, shadowy, coup-intentionism (twice), self-righteous, holier-than-thou - it's all very repetitive and very, very boring

Your understnding of the written word is also severely flawed:

coup-intentioned (read what Abhisit said again)

anti-electoral (read what Abhisit said again)

reform before election (read what Abhisit said again)

Please feel free to add value to the forum - but don't keep ranting on here some some deranged preacher using the same words in every post and failing to keep up with the news and even worse, failing to comprehend it.

If you take the time to read the news including this news report of The Nation, you will see that what AV said was - the results of PROTESTERS

"The proposals are derived from the results of a recent survey of protesters that was conducted in an attempt to find ways the warring parties can find a common ground."

IMO, they were valid reasons Fryslan boppe mentioned. You were so afraid of these being highlighted.

coup-intentioned, anti-electoral, reform before election - What had AV said on these? His action, attitude and non action has a lot to say about these.

Please feel free to add value to the forun - but don't put words in people's mouth.

If you wish to take this particular new article then Abhisit said "implementing national reform, no coups, stop proceeding with the February 2 election and a neutral body must manage national reform and there must be a fresh national election."

So in whose logic does "no coups" equal "coup intentioned"?

How does "fresh national elections" equal "anti-electoral"?

And how can "national reform" equal "reform before election"?

only in a world where you understand what you want to understand rather that what has really be said or written.

I'm putting words in peoples' mouths? I don't think so

You cherry picked. He referred to the people who made these four demands.

Again, he had valid reasons in describing AV and doubted the sincerity of AV's latest demands. Will AV boycott it with new demands and excuses again like he did?

Send from my Mobile

Mods/Admin are not the issue here - I'd already said they are extremely busy in an extraordinary, hectic time at TFV.

The issue here is your crude and vulgar choice of word, same as Abhisit at around the same time.

If you are not going to correct yourself, if you are unwilling to admit to your immoderate choice of a word that is OTT in its intemperate and widely offensive nature, then you lose any credibility you may ever have had, which is not much to begin with as you consistently post in ways that are derogatory and condescending towards posters you disagree with.

You don't say posters you disagree with are wrong, you consistently say posters you disagree with haven't any brains.

If you are not going to correct you post, you will require me to report it and if you don't care about that, then your credibility will go from zero to minus one hundred.

Did somebody die and appoint you on the CMPO?

This is very very arrogant of you.

Send from my Mobile

Where are you going to get a neutral body? Even if you *could* find an outstanding panel of people widely trusted across the political divide, the professional rabble rousers (insert your own favourites here) will tear it down regardless in order to protect their own position of influence. Some people seriously need to be dragged before the courts and have their cases heard and/or - god help us - sentences IMPLEMENTED before this has a hope in hell of succeeding.

Yes, a neutral body is impossible because few among the elites of any sort are neutral. Forget neutrality because it no longer exists and is impossible to restore or recover. Abhisit and his cohorts remain completely out of contact with the country's new reality.

Neutrality is illusory.The old truths and old verities are gone. Present institutions and the coup written constitution are all a part of the ancien regime and thus ineffective. They in fact compound existing problems and challenges, making the extant circumstance untenable.

A new constitution needs to be written after the February 2nd election is completed forthwith and an adversarial system of checks and balances needs to be established by which both sides can slug it out and - most importantly - either side can accept the outcome whenever it doesn't prevail.

A new constitutional system of adversarial checks and balances, as best agreed by all sides, is required

Admitting openly to fundamental and serious divisions in the socioeconomics of the country is the new necessity in the new Thailand, and dealing effectively and openly with the new deeply rooted adversarial divisions are the necessary prerequisite to transform the country's political and legal systems to address the new reality.

I more-or-less agree with this. Only wondering why the 'neutral' body is impossible because few amongst the 'elite' are neutral. Why would that neutral body need to include more than a token representation of the 'elite' ?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

I more-or-less agree with this. Only wondering why the 'neutral' body is impossible because few amongst the 'elite' are neutral. Why would that neutral body need to include more than a token representation of the 'elite' ?

Yes and even if non-neutral elites are largely excluded from any "neutral" body of radical reform the nature of the reforms would need the acceptance or the acquiescence of the elites of all kind or the neutral body would be ineffective. Suthep or another like him, or perhaps from the other sides, could easily stir up another anarchist movement(s) to destroy the product of any neutral body.

I reiterate that neutrality is gone from the country. Everyone has a horse in the race but only the elites have the big dogs, and the big dogs remain, well, big.

An excluded elite remains a dangerous elite, or elites, no?

Ahhh come on stop being so loose with the details..... this is a broken record. What kind of statement is that ??? DETAILS please or go find a Dem that can actually outline a proposal properly... get rid of this lame duck where the heck is Korn ?

Where's korn - out planting his corn.

I honestly do not understand why this situation is so complicated.

The incumbent government bribed people to vote for them and they are calling their victory democratic???

That is bullshit.

What is so dam_n hard to understand? Can someone explain it to me???

Of course you have the documentation to back up your rant? National poll watchers affirmed that vote buying had little or no affect in the 2011 Thai election! (look it up,)

What is so dam_ hard to understand?

Of course you can't document, and you rather close your eye and repeat the same B/S!

Cheers

Even if "vote buying had no effect" - which is a ridiculous assertion to make - it is ILLEGAL and "had no effect" is not a valid excuse. Pretending it doesn't happen is simply bullshit - you know better than that.

However I think you have misunderstood what the poster is on about here. Try this for an example - offering ridiculously high subsidies to rice-farming families such as yours - who then become rabid supporters of the government willing to overlook any amount of corruption - like you. Perhaps "bribe" is too strong a word, but certainly they are offering strong financial incentives and it does seem to "have an effect".

Since the government hasn't bothered to pay the effect is now wearing off, and it stings.

Edited by Crushdepth

"The proposals are: implementing national reform, no coups, stop proceeding with the February 2 election and a neutral body must manage national reform and there must be a fresh national election."

Somebody cant count- I read five not four.

1. implementing national reform

2. no coups

3.stop proceeding with the February 2 election

4. a neutral body must manage national reform

5.there must be a fresh national election

And you guys want this as your PM?

• Like 1

Where are you going to get the neutral body from? Japan, Australia? Cause that's what you're going to have to do..... You all ready for it? It is abundantly clear that Thais cannot do this themselves. You need to forget about face and ask for help Thailand.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Couldn't agree more.. I have been saying all along that this issue is so deep it is waaaay over the heads of the Thais to do alone and need international support. But, the question on everybody's lips is ..will they accept outside help? I remember Mark has refused outside scrutineers before.

Have a rethink Thailand. At the height of the British Raj in India the UK governed India with 3 to 4000 civil servants with little to no corruption. Today India has 6,400,000 civil servants and the corruption is off the scale.

Get organized........Get colonized

This is exactly what Sighep has been demanding all along... nice try... but rewording it and sending it from a different horse does not change it... and I am a bit concerned about Korn as well... first he stepped away from Suthep a bit.. and Suthep said: " I am glad that I didn't pick him (Korn) as my PDRC leader...and something to the effect of..." if he continues to criticize me his life will become very difficult..." and lo and behold the next week Korn went w/ Abhiset to the stage at one of the protest sites.....so for me Korn also is off the table...but this PR attempt by Abhiset is just a re-hash of Sutheps DEMANDS...I am guessing he's banking on the fact that memories are even shorter then they actually are... is it just me...? LMAO!

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 1

Your math is flawed because:

- You are counting the entire population vs. Puea Thai votes of eligible voters.

- This means that you are counting 5 year old kids against Puea Thai.

- Some people were prevented blocked from voting.

- Some people were intimidated by the violence and didn't go voting.

- Not everyone that didn't go vote is against Puea Thai.

That's why we need an election that is free of blocking and violence so that as many as possible people can go out and voice their opinion.

These conditions are completely reasonable. It's also what the people want. Yingluck - particularly after this quite explicit proposal from Abhisit - will find it now increasingly difficult to turn it down. She can, of course, simply do what she's been doing - trying to arrange the rest of the polls without talking to the EC, and imagining instead that 113 constituencies will simply magically manifest on their own with all the conditions on the ground completely evaporated - or she can accept the inevitable, and take part in reform. Again, Pheu Thai - or any of the aliases it assumes - will almost inevitably be the future government. But any true reform that takes a real crack at corruption will inevitably edge Thaksin out of the system. That's basically what the Thai people want. That is the consensus. Abhisit knows that the Democrats will not form the government. But to Thaksin, the price is way too high. He wants it all. He's not interested in a Pheu Thai administration that he does not control. And so he - and Yingluck - will resist it.

You claim that this is what the people want, but, without putting this to the people, at an election, as part of Democrat Party policy, it would appear to be pure supposition.

Of course the Democrats, for reasons best known to themselves, decided not to test this assumption at the recent election.

So all we have more bluster from a politician that decides to disengage from the Democratic process and then professes to represent the will of the people.

The will of the people can only be measured through the electoral process.

To say that is what the people want, that this is the consensus, without due process is preposterous!

Furthermore why should Yingluck find it any more difficult to turn these demands down now than before?

If anything, the dwindling support for Suthep would appear to add legitimacy to her position.

I don't believe that PTP or Yingluck has rejected reform, but, they have stated, that it must be made within the democratic framework.

This is not something that Suthep or Abisiht seem to be very keen on....

All the alternatives they do present appear badly thought out and worryingly anti-democratic to most observers.

The Democrats are increasingly becoming irrelevant as they refuse to negotiate or concede any ground.

They seem to offer no solutions but only criticisms.

How much longer can they expect the voting public to put up with such petulant behavior?

"If the PM wants to safeguard democracy as she had said, she must accept the four wishes of the people," Abhisit said."

Same old, same old from someone frothing at the mouth about wanting to be PM. but rejected at every turn...A one-trick pony Elitist, thinking he doesn't need to reform himself or his party, so the electorate must.

Follow the bouncing ball of all this coup-intentioned noise - anti-amnesty stuff...then... anti-Thaksin opionating...then... anti-electoral activism...then...reform before election.... now.... nullify, the election......What next? ....At least they are consistent in one thing....The underpinning of it all. Coup-intentionism by those who cannot be elected by "The People"

The most pitiful thing however is all this self-righteous, holier-than-thou bleating about 'reform'....If their intentions were honorable, they would take their opinionating about this to Parliament....But they know they will always be the minority there, as long as they don't conform themselves to the wishes of "The people"....Their entitlement arrogance doesn't allow them to do that...In their 'humble' opinion, "The people" need to 'conform' themselves to their enlightened Political insights.....

Next time I will tell you what I really thinkwai.gif

Well I think your post was utter red shirt b.s. Abhisit has the support of a lot of non elite people especially in the South. He can not win an election outright because he will not stoop to blatant vote buying and vote buying populist policies. With proper reform he possibly can win. Let us hope he does

"....... With proper reform he possibly can win. Let us hope he does"

I wonder how your 'proper reform' compares with the 'reform' demanded by Mr. Suthep? Does your reform differ from his reform or, like him, do you not have any idea what reform you want?

Can you share how the toddles vote if you are not talking about 43 million eligible voters but a population of 70 million. May be the toddlers will be happy blowing whistle like their pacifiers.

You're obviously missing my point. PT continually claim the mandate of "the majority" of "the people" ... not just eligible voters.

Even if we did take it on "eligible voters" alone, they still don't have the support of "the majority".

First and foremost, and of paramount importance. They must be about as Right Wing as Glenn Beck

Sounds more genuine and reasonable to me than Yingluck lamely clinging to power and trying to organise a partisan reform agenda. Pity all these silly people in this thread who are blind to the mass discontent at corruption and MAJORITY who opted to not vote for a party in this last election, truth is we need this reform urgently and it isn't helping when the peanut gallery perpetually ask what exactly 'reform' is. Several proposals have been put out, even the PDRC have had some brainstorming but key to holistic reform is that various parties come to the table with suggestions and no fixed agenda and by neutral, we mean a panel with representatives from all main parties and groups but not partisan to Peua Thai or Democrats.

IN my view reform will only work if no politicians are a part of it - they all have too much self interest - maybe an inpartial committee of peoples representatives conducting a series of referendums about change. The whole process should be closely monitored and reported on by a third party country with no vested interest in Thailand. Could work - but predict it would never happen

Your math is flawed because:

- You are counting the entire population vs. Puea Thai votes of eligible voters.

- This means that you are counting 5 year old kids against Puea Thai.

- Some people were prevented blocked from voting.

- Some people were intimidated by the violence and didn't go voting.

- Not everyone that didn't go vote is against Puea Thai.

That's why we need an election that is free of blocking and violence so that as many as possible people can go out and voice their opinion.

Actually there are about 48+ million of eligible voters in Thailand. Around 20 million actually voted, not sure how many for Pheu Thai.

Of course especially the Pheu Thai voters were hindered by blocking of poll stations in Isaan and all the violence we heard of in Isaan. Add to this all those who didn't vote but are not against Pheu Thai.

Well, I can only conclude that at least 123 percent of the Thai population is in favour of a new Pheu Thai led government. rolleyes.gif

Your cherry picks on what other said is again showing your arrogant behaviour. I also agreed that you

"you consistently post in ways that are derogatory and condescending towards posters you disagree with.

You don't say posters you disagree with are wrong, you consistently say posters you disagree with haven't any brains."

I just searched the entire news forum for posts from me featuring the word "brains" in 2014 - other than those from Publicus and iCommunity, there was none

it was(is) a democratic election. So PT got the majority. That's fact! Changes could be done ONLY in parliament, not by street people who got a big mouth only but no brain.

• Like 1

you only know how to use hilarious example to build your accusation. AV had done it before that required of him to prove his sincerity. He demanded house dissolution to return power to the people but once it happened he boycotted it. He promised RS a GE in November 2010 even though Jatuporn was perceived as had rejected it, he did not announce it but instead sent in heavily war weapons armed soldiers to crack down demonstrators demanding the return of power for a master. Before 2011 election, his administration bulldozed the amendment on the election section of 2007 constitution.

Send from my Mobile

Well, in the universe here PM Abhisit offered new General Elections later in the year and initially dr. weng, Nattawut, Korkaew, Jatuporn c.s. seemed to agree till someone got a call on his mobile and all of a sudden the deal was off.

The army was armed with mostly their personal weapons as all soldiers have, their opponents had grenades and used them frequently.

As for buldozering the election section in the 2007 constitution, you may refer to the extending of the number of constituencies to have a more equal representation with less people per constituency. That helped populous areas in Thailand, like in NorthEast.

All in all your post is another rambling one with a few lies mistakes.