Suvarnabhumi Airport to get new terminal in 2017

webfact

Well we could mention the international flight that was directed to a domestic terminal and all its passengers disembarked without going through immigration and customs. Nobody knew until one lady realised she might have trouble leaving thailand without an entry marked in her passport and made her way to immigration. God knows whar happened to all those who had already left the airport.

Then there was the busload of passengers who were delivered to an aircraft parked well away from the terminal building. It drove away and left the passengers to board an unattended plane and sit there until finally somebody realised that they had been dropped off at the wrong aircraft.

Last year I flew in on a 9 hour flight from Melbourne landing at 1 AM. I finally got a taxi at 6 AM having fought off dozens of touts who wanted to charge me thousands for a limousine.

This could be the first paragraph of a book I could write about the place.

HOWEVER I do like its architecture.

indeed a tropical airport..........why is it always so hot in there ? Toilets ??

Tropical heat? Ever heard of Queue Gardens in London. Lots of beautiful tropical plants.
duplicate, no delete available Edited by noodle

indeed a tropical airport..........why is it always so hot in there ? Toilets ??

Tropical heat? Ever heard of Queue Gardens in London. Lots of beautiful tropical plants.
duplicate, no delete available

I'll have another stab then!

The Kew's toilet queue is quick & slick, so couldn't have been designed by a prick.

• Like 1

duplicate, no delete available

I'll have another stab then!

The Kew's toilet queue is quick & slick, so couldn't have been designed by a prick.

I was happy with your first reply, far wittier than my proposed responsethumbsup.gif

If you want to see what happens when corrupt Asian politicians start fighting over extremely lucrative new airport projects, take a look at Manila.

Meanwhile the Arabs, who have a very fixed pecking order when it comes to backhanders orderly corruption if you like - can build massive new airports in just a few years, and with their heavily subsidised airlines are basically nicking passengers from everyone else.

• Like 1

more battleship grey paint what a depressing interior .

and you will have to walk even further upon arrival to longer queues at immigration

Ha you obviously don't spend much time at Heathrow T1......

I must admit I saw this headline and the thought immediately popped into my head "paid for by whom?"

As I recall there was a lot of corruption relating to the acquisition of the land and contracts awarded to some very dubious companies, and guess who was central to this? Thaksin.

Looks like the Shinawatra's want another bit of the cherry...

Thaksin can take credit for this airport and Thailand's capability. Today United announced that it will no longer use Bangkok as a route from Tokyo, ending a long time service to Bangkok. Bye United.

United Airlines announced their end of the Bangkok route in December last year, but not yesterday. I received the announcement email from United in December, but somehow your mail was stuck in traffic and got there 2 months later.

I hope that the new terminal is more passenger friendly and it offers a plenty of places where travelers can relax and enjoy.

Suvarnabhumi airport is one of the worst airports I have seen. Some pilots told me that the runway is not so good and does not meet the international standard.

This airport was constructed when Thaksin was in charge and I am not surprised if there were a plenty of corruptions and fraudulent works.

So far, we are lucky that we have not had a major accident at this airport but we never know.

• Like 1

Time Must have corrupted many of your brains, Thaksin opened the airport, but it was planned far ahead of the Thaksin time. After the opening cracks where found in the runways true, have they been stopped the use or opening of the airport no. The crack were normal "setting" cracks most of them even not in the main runway. At that time everything was blamed to Thaksin even lea King water lines. The design was done by a architect who design also the airport of the city of Cologne and as most of the special designs the look has dominated the practical use.

Swampy will never become or has been as great airport it is only big because of the strategic location. What is around here KL, Singapore to far South to cater the Chinese Market, to the West is India and India is nothing, you don't want to be there if you don't have too.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Good idea to have another terminal. I hope it's better than the huge tubular frame tent they are using at the moment. How about forcing aircraft schedules a bit so that incoming flights are spaced out during the day. That would ease the immigration congestion a bit.

Wow, a real testament to Thaksin who not only opened the airport in the first place but was right about it becoming a hub.

I remember how all the haters sccoffed at the airport and made false accusastions about the runway etc.

So nice to see it doing well and those unlucky enough to fly from Don Muang military base and golf course smile.png can see the difference in attitudes and approach between the 2 sides.

Well done swampy... An Airport to be proud of.

May I suggest you visit Singapore or HK airports, Swampy doesn't even compare.

• Like 1

Thaksin can take credit for this airport and Thailand's capability. Today United announced that it will no longer use Bangkok as a route from Tokyo, ending a long time service to Bangkok. Bye United.

United Airlines announced their end of the Bangkok route in December last year, but not yesterday. I received the announcement email from United in December, but somehow your mail was stuck in traffic and got there 2 months later.

I hope that the new terminal is more passenger friendly and it offers a plenty of places where travelers can relax and enjoy.

Suvarnabhumi airport is one of the worst airports I have seen. Some pilots told me that the runway is not so good and does not meet the international standard.

This airport was constructed when Thaksin was in charge and I am not surprised if there were a plenty of corruptions and fraudulent works.

So far, we are lucky that we have not had a major accident at this airport but we never know.

Why would we? There are much worse airports in the world. And most aircraft accidents are not caused by runways and airports.

Good idea to have another terminal. I hope it's better than the huge tubular frame tent they are using at the moment. How about forcing aircraft schedules a bit so that incoming flights are spaced out during the day. That would ease the immigration congestion a bit.

Airlines can generally pick their landing slots - they do so according to price and convenience for their own schedules.

As I recall there was a lot of corruption relating to the acquisition of the land and contracts awarded to some very dubious companies, and guess who was central to this? Thaksin.

Looks like the Shinawatra's want another bit of the cherry...

Thaksin was not central to this. This was Chart Pattana Party. The acquisition of the land was Wattana Asavahame and his Company Narawat Phatanakarn, his company was awarded the contract for the airport even though it was the only bidder because he and the usual suspects had bought the land cheap off the shrimp farmers for a pittance as farm land, then somehow changed the swamp land to prime commercial land. Similarly the Khlong Dam Project. The key players whose companies were involved were Banharn and Suwat Liptapanlop. After investigation and prosecution by the National Anti-Corruption Commission, their companies were fined B6,000 baht only as apparently that is the limit in the court for that offence according to my source in the NACC. Thaksin's involvement was getting Wattana Imprisoned for his offences along with Somchai Khunplume (Kamnan Poh) both of which eventually jumped bail and fled the country, although my inside information was that both were living in their family homes in Pattaya and Samutprakarn.

• Like 1

Yes it includes skim, all budgets in Thailand include an automatic skim of 30%, otherwise they would not get approved. Duh!

The original swampy wasn't. Squareface got most of his winnings finishing it off, Security equipment, Baggage handling, etc.

These boys don't stop work just because the project is approved!

biggrin.png

The original swampy included skim by the previous Government, problem was when the Government changed. The next PM's Party, not Thaksin, wanted another white envelope which was not possible, then the Government changed again and under TRT had to be content with skim on fixtures and fittings. Remember the X-Ray scanners? At least Thaksin got the Airport open even though it wasn't the 75 Million passenger capacity that was needed.

• Like 1