KTM - rant

I ordered a KTM 390 Duke from the stand at the Bangkok motorshow and was promised delivery to Pattaya for 16 February. The supplier in Samut Prakan has run out of stock, but there are 3 unsold in Pattaya. I have asked them to do a deal with each other to let me have a bike from Pattaya, but they will not cooperate.

Pattaya wants me to cancel with Samut Prakan and and Samut Prakan will not repay the deposit as they say I have to wait until they have new stock - no dates given. They both want the commission and the sale, I just want a bike.

Poor form for KTM if they're local suppliers won't talk to each other. I am put off what should be a fun bike.

Be careful what you order off the stand, deposit was 5,000 baht, but there is a principle - is there ?

Officially it's not 16 February yet, you agreed to have your motorcycle delivered in Pattaya on that date. If the supplier doesn't deliver the motorcycle on 16 February than send a email to the Consumer Protection Board ( [email protected] ) and you will have your deposit back before you know it....

thanks for the advice, you are right they haven't yet broken the agreement, however i have spoken to them by phone and they have told me there are none available and I just have to wait. The deposit receipt states a delivery of 16 February, so magically one might arrive, but in any case they should have contacted me before now to ask for payment etc

Let you know how it goes

Good advice from richard i have used the consumer board a couple of times and had problem resolved the same day,just send email to ktm head office letting them know you are going to contact consumer board if bike or deposit is nit recieved on given date

I can confirm the lousy service of KTM, put a deposit (30k) on the duke 390 in July cause i thought it was coming soon, without knowing the price! Until the official announcment at the MotoExpo they didnt contaced me at all even after no call nothing. When knowing the price i just laughed and went to them to get back my deposit, they said 10 days to retun. In the end i waited 4 weeks. Again no call no nothing thats just poor and somehow funny cause they claiming and pricing themselves as a premium brand....

Well you surely know the KTM is overpriced here but you still want one, therefore I presume you are not short of money. I'm guessing you still do want one, so if your bike doesn't arrive when it should then go and get one from the Pattaya branch. Yes you may lose 5000B but that's not a great amount considering what you are paying anyway. Yes there is the principle, but that doesn't get you a shiny new KTM.

Like Richard says, the consumer protection here is very good, so you'll likely get your deposit back. If not, you still have your new bike to console yourself with. Look at it like this. If KTM offered you a new bike right now for an extra 5000B or wait another 3 months, what would you do? I suspect you would pay up.

Best advice though would be to save yourself some money and get a Ninja. From what I've read online it's a better bike all round anyway.

Officially it's not 16 February yet, you agreed to have your motorcycle delivered in Pattaya on that date. If the supplier doesn't deliver the motorcycle on 16 February than send a email to the Consumer Protection Board ( [email protected] ) and you will have your deposit back before you know it....

I owe you a beer, we have complained & hopefully picking it up tomorrow. If you see a hansum man in a bar with a ktm, let me know

As if by magic

• Like 2

Best advice though would be to save yourself some money and get a Ninja. From what I've read online it's a better bike all round anyway.

Yes I know, but ..........

As if by magic

I'm happy for you. Don't forget to show us some pics and give us a review.

At least you will now be prepared for poor service when you take your bike in.

As for poor service, KUNKA Corp have recently employed an Autrian KTM engineer full-time to oversee service and training. They have just spent quite a sum on euro standard machinary. So they are aware of the importance of service.

Edited by BBJ

But this wont change their attitude. What kind of company gives a Shit about someone who just put a deposit on their product. The way I was and iam treated at their Italian competitor is a different world.

Edited by Hili

^Not sure what you mean. But the way I see it is like any cottage type industry, which this isn't in Europe or the US. But Thailand is a different matter. Yes it lacks the expertise here, but they are offering a product that people want. Their service will grown in time but if people buy autos knowing it hasn't achieved a back up status, then the risk is theirs.

KUNKA Corp has invested a lot of money for both MV Agusta and KTM to address this issue.

Edited by BBJ

But this wont change their attitude. What kind of company gives a Shit about someone who just put a deposit on their product. The way I was and iam treated at their Italian competitor is a different world.

Agree with you, service bloody awful. Bought from the Italian competitor 18 months ago, a very pleasant experience in comparison.

Been here 2 hours, got all paperwork, have to wait 2 months for the free akrapovic exhaust !

As if by magic

• Like 1

For sure its a nice ride especially handling is great due to its light weight. But i am not accepting the double price compared to europe for a 300cc bike build in India (there it might cost only 1/3)

That is my beef with Thai KTM too.

I really like their ( KTM's ) thinking & would be very interested in the RC390

But their pricing just tastes very unfair to me. Even given the higher taxes to

import here. I even wrote to KTM main offices to tell them my thoughts on brand recognition etc here

& how I thought the dealers markup here was excessive.

No reply but then I did not really expect one wink.png

But yes I am disappointed in their pricing..

Congrats though ISOS on a nice bike.

Hope you enjoy many km's

Edited by mania