Kittirat says many banks interested in lending to government

webfact

Kittirat says many banks interested in lending to government

173976-imagejpeg-255670-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Finance Minister Kittirat na Ranong said today that many commercial banks have now shown interest to provide rice loans to the caretaker government to pay farmers.

He said that these banks have gained understandings of the scheme and have expressed interest to extend loans to the caretaker government.

He said the caretaker government was ready to sign the loan agreements immediately once they propose appropriate lending rates.

But he said he could not reveal their names on fear that anti-government protesters could again go to blockade these banks if they have the information.

He said that after the loan signing, farmers who have rice vouchers could go to these banks to get full amount of payments stated in their vouchers.

Kittirat also asked farmers to understand the government’s obstacles in securing loans, while stressing its intention to help farmers.

He claimed that both the Election Commission and the Council of State had agreed that the caretaker government has the authority to secure loans for the rice-pledging scheme and that was not a violation of Article 181 of the Constitution

Earlier the finance minister had sought interpretation from the Council of State whether the caretaker government could borrow loan under its caretaker role.

The secretary-general of the Council of State personally ruled that it could do so.

The ruling of the secretary-general was then used by Mr Kittirat to claim the caretaker government’s authority to seek loans from commercial banks.

But commercial banks were hesitated and rejected to provide loans to caretaker government because of the disputed legal obligation.

The Election Commission also said the caretaker government could seek loan but this had to be done on its own risk.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/kittirat-says-many-banks-interested-lending-government/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-11

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He claimed that both the Election Commission and the Council of State had agreed that the caretaker government has the authority to secure loans for the rice-pledging scheme and that was not a violation of Article 181 of the Constitution

Really? I thought PT said that because they are the CARETAKER government, they couldn't borrow money. Which is Suthep's fault (according to PT). Interesting

He said the caretaker government was ready to sign the loan agreements immediately once they propose appropriate lending rates.

But he said he could not reveal their names on fear that anti-government protesters could again go to blockade these banks if they have the information.

Next week he will say: The banks where ready to give money but the PRDC went to the banks and now the banks cancelled the loans.

• Like 2

Banks such as....

???

Well, you know how all those G2G bank deals were so secret? This is just the same. They only really exist in his imagination. But, remember, it's o k to tell some little white lies if it makes the people happy. Perhaps some farmers may take a little comfort from this latest story. The usual hints, smoke and mirrors and no hard facts.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that all farmers throughout Thailand will have received their outstanding payments by, hmm, the end of the month!

ermm.gif

Well, I'm pretty sure that all farmers throughout Thailand will have been promised their outstanding payments by, hmm, the end of the month!

HTF could anyone seriously vote for this bunch of idiots? crazy.gif

And the Banks answered...........Piss off Khun Kittirat, we don't run our business as irresponsible as your government does.

And also we look after our people, not as you, ignore, the wishes and needs of the people of Thailand.

Edited by Costas2008

I wondered how long Kittikat the Lying King would lie low and see how the land lies before he lied to the public again.

The problem the Finance Minister has is that no one believes a word he says anyway... the banks, the financial markets, the credit agencies, even red shirted farmers don't trust him after not leaving enough money in the pot to pay them. He is even an embarrassment to Pheu Thai and that's really saying something.

typo

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Earlier the finance minister had sought interpretation from the Council of State whether the caretaker government could borrow loan under its caretaker role.

The secretary-general of the Council of State personally ruled that it could do so.

So he has found someone to blame if anything goes wrong.

For as we already know.

The Election Commission also said the caretaker government could seek loan but this had to be done on its own risk.

And the risk was unacceptable for it would have meant taking responsibility for their own actions.

• Like 2

Mr Kittirat should be appointed official joking member of the prevalent caretaking government.

After I read the post, that the government found banks willing to lend money I had to laugh so violently, I damaged my stomach from LOL. Will send "the Joker" my medical bill...

• Like 1

The reluctance to name them might have something to do with the likelihood of a feral mob and a mad monk descending on the office

Maybe.. or that people would pull back their money (just as I would).

But the public has a right to know.

But i find the other possibility of that there are no banks that want to loan the money and that this is all a big lie much more believable. It is not like he has a good track record.

Yes, I can't disagree with you about transparency but it certainly wouldn't bother me if my bank is involved