HDL and how to raise it...

Showbags

relatively quickly if possible !!

As a continuation of another thread...this particular problem has risen for whatever reason and a low HDL is present.

I wish to raise it by diet alone and have read quite a bit about what foods and other things help this, but wondering if I have missed anything.

So I believe the foods that help, most I already seem to be eating..ie..

Nuts...already eat Almonds, walnuts each day.

Avocado...usually have 1 per day at lunchtime.

Fish..particularly Salmon...we eat that a few times per week already.

Flaxseed...again, eat them every day in my cereal.

Olive Oil....we only use olive oil and Canola for cooking. I have already added it to my home made muesli for each morning and I also use it instead of butter on a pan based cooked multigrain bread I have at times.

Oatmeal...already in the muesli.

Cranberry Juice....cannot find good pure juice, only boxed rubbish thus far. Do add dried cranberries to cereal though each day.

Some other non food items they say help are to stop smoking...I never have...reduce alcohol consumption...already have for a long time, no beer, only spirits maybe once every 2 months or so....Exercise, have increased that a little, but not a huge amount anyway, certainly say 5 times a week for 30 mins or so.....and Lose Weight....done that already and down to optimal weight I believe.

So, any other ideas ?

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Among all the varieties of coconut oil, this is the most challenged and controversial variety, as its very existence is doubtful and the name hardly makes any sense. Furthermore, there are no set standards for virginity of coconut oil. Moreover, reputed firms and governmental bodies are still hesitant to say anything on the matter, nor are they selling it. Basically, further research is definitely required.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

Coconut oil is better because it will not go rancid as fast as most vegetable oils including olive oil. Coconut oil at one time was the oil of choice in baked goods and other products because of it ability to keep its freshness for up to one year. There was never any real research that proved coconut oil was bad for your health or your heart.

• Like 1

Being pedantic ok, just get the not so virgin one.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not pedantic at all....just trying to understand it all and make the best choices and thanks for the mention of it, otherwise I would not have searched it when I did.

But...from what I gather, apart from the shelf life, olive oil still seems better for you.

But I will try coconut as I like the smell.

...reduce alcohol consumption...already have for a long time, no beer, only spirits maybe once every 2 months or so....Exercise, have increased that a little, but not a huge amount anyway, certainly say 5 times a week for 30 mins or so...

The opposite is actually true. One of the few things consistently shown to increase HDL to a very significant degree is alcohol consumption. This has been shown countless times, and is well established in the medical literature, but for obvious reasons responsible doctors do not recommend it.

(In fact a huge HDL level is often considered by doctors as a possible indication of excessive alcohol consumption!)

[Edit : typical reference example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3251002

"Associations of alcohol consumption with plasma high density lipoprotein cholesterol and its major subfractions

In surveys of 4860 middle-aged men in Caerphilly (South Wales) and Speedwell (Bristol) alcohol consumption has been related to high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and its major subfractions, HDL2 and HDL3, measured in a single fasting blood sample. The results confirm that high density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration increases as the amount of alcohol regularly consumed increases. The relationship appears to be linear and is independent of age, smoking habit, body mass index, low density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma total triglyceride. ]

Edited by partington

^^...yes but the other disadvantages would outweigh the good....and everything I read they refer to wine, not any other alcohol and limited to 2 glasses a day.

I do not like wine, so not gunna happen.

Well your caution is wise, and this is why doctors don't recommend this course: who knows how many alcoholics you would create.

Nevertheless if you stick to the amount of alcohol equivalent to two glasses of wine a day ONLY, your mortality is less than that of teetotallers who never drink.

This happens with all alcohol: it is a result of the ethanol, and is NOT restricted to wine.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

Coconut oil is better because it will not go rancid as fast as most vegetable oils including olive oil. Coconut oil at one time was the oil of choice in baked goods and other products because of it ability to keep its freshness for up to one year. There was never any real research that proved coconut oil was bad for your health or your heart.

It doesn't get rancid because it is mostly a saturated "hard" fat.

It is not good or bad, just a lot calories.

If you don't want rancid oil: always keep it closed, dark, small unit and in the fridge.

Being pedantic ok, just get the not so virgin one.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not pedantic at all....just trying to understand it all and make the best choices and thanks for the mention of it, otherwise I would not have searched it when I did.

But...from what I gather, apart from the shelf life, olive oil still seems better for you.

But I will try coconut as I like the smell.

I love extra virgin olive oil and eat it when ever I can. I cook with Rice Bran oil when I have to fry something. I take a spoonful of Coconut Oil daily before bed. Regarding it, much research was done back in the 50s or 60s and people were alarmed at how high it was in saturated fat etc.

Interestingly, it was the same kinds of people that were spouting the benefits of a big bacon and egg breakfast every morning :)

Now all I am doing is getting hungry lol

• Like 1

I watched both the above links.....they are basically saying to become a vegan....I cannot see that happening in my life...unless.

I guess the extreme is required to reverse to effects.....whereas if moderation is applied, you should be able to continue moderately without the extreme vegan approach.

TABLE 2. Measures to Raise HDL-C

Lifestyle Changes Weight Loss Aerobic exercise Smoking cesation Mediterranean diet, increased fish/reduced carbohydrate consumption Wine (2–6 oz) with evening meals Medications Statins Fibrates Niacin Fish oils enriched with omega-3 fatty acids Thiazolidinediones

https://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/5/e89/T2.expansion.html

Do you smoke? If so, cessation will raise your HDL signficantly.

TABLE 2. Measures to Raise HDL-C

Lifestyle Changes Weight Loss Aerobic exercise Smoking cesation Mediterranean diet, increased fish/reduced carbohydrate consumption Wine (2–6 oz) with evening meals Medications Statins Fibrates Niacin Fish oils enriched with omega-3 fatty acids Thiazolidinediones

Do not smoke.

Do not want medication, diet fix and lifestyle only.

Do not like wine.

Weight loss already.

Aerobic exercise...not so great.

Increased fish and reduced carbs...already done for months.

TABLE 2. Measures to Raise HDL-C Lifestyle Changes Weight Loss Aerobic exercise Smoking cesation Mediterranean diet, increased fish/reduced carbohydrate consumption Wine (2–6 oz) with evening meals Medications Statins Fibrates Niacin Fish oils enriched with omega-3 fatty acids Thiazolidinediones

I for one, would only in a very,very last resort take medicines (chemicals). I did have a problem a couple of years ago with low HDL, cured the problem simple by consuming Almonds, approx 35 per day with my breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

TABLE 2. Measures to Raise HDL-C Lifestyle Changes Weight Loss Aerobic exercise Smoking cesation Mediterranean diet, increased fish/reduced carbohydrate consumption Wine (2–6 oz) with evening meals Medications Statins Fibrates Niacin Fish oils enriched with omega-3 fatty acids Thiazolidinediones

I for one, would only in a very,very last resort take medicines (chemicals). I did have a problem a couple of years ago with low HDL, cured the problem simple by consuming Almonds, approx 35 per day with my breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I would say I have been eating about 20-30 every day for the last 3-4 months and my hdl dropped.

• Like 1

Are you taking fish oil supplements?

No.....and would prefer not to also, never know what goes into them around here.

Trying to do it by diet only without any special pills or tablets of any sort...I hate tablets and usually forget them whenever I have had to or tried.

You may not be able to significantly raise your HDL levels.

I have tried for years and it never goes much over 45 which is borderline.

Having said that my LDL is 70 and my tryclerides were quite low at .70

I eat almonds , fish , fruit, and veggies and do aerobic exercise etc and take supplements.

My heart is fine and my BP low.

So I wouldn't stress too much about it.

You have to look at all t he numbers in context and whether you have any symptoms of heart disease before you start beating yourself up over HDL levels.

• Like 1

You can treat the problem or you can uproot it by working on what causes it.

For Curing :Stop all animal products and oils and embark on a whole grain plant base diet. It takes 11 days to 2 weeks to reverse high cholesterol.

And for treatment eat AMLA

It will bring down your blood sugar, will lower your bad cholesterol, boost your good cholesterol, and cut your triglyceride levels in half in 3 weeks!

One gooseberry a day will cut your bad cholesterol in half in 3 weeks without side effects.

It is widely available in Thailand and cheap as chips smile.png

Here is the data to prove it

Edited by Kitsune