New chain and sprockets

Marcel1

I bought an old kawasaki vulcan 400 a week ago and brought it to my local somchai who is normally always well priced and very decent is his work. I brought some other bikes there and never had a complaint about him.

about this bike he is busy cleaning the carbs, changing all liquids, new rear brake, kabels etc checked. so a complete clean up for the bike. Now I asked him to change the sprockets and chain as well just to have everything sound. He quoted me 4000 for a new chain and sprockets which sounds to me a bit steep but I hope anyone of you have some more info about this.?

what prices are you used to? also a vulcan is maybe not very common here same a phantom e.g. so maybe the parts more expensive..

Most chains are not bike specific, I think, they are just available in various sizes and cut to length for rare bikes. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I would buy the best quality chain you can get, I good quality chain can last 10 times longer (or more) than a cheapo. Remember that since you must change sprockets too, a good chain makes even more sense.

That 400 should be quite torquey, so a cheap chain will not last long, avoid Chinese and even if Jap, check on the internet the spec and opinions.

That is about right price wise

A RK GR520KRO runs 2150 baht

Their next up chain the GB520XSO runs about 3500 baht

The RK sprocket on the rear runs about 12-1600 baht

So 4k with both sprockets sounds fair if it is a decent O ring or X ring chain brand

Buy a decent chain & sprockets dont scrimp too much on these things

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

yes it looks pretty decent and the bike drives good again. also the guy seems a hardworking good guy and always treated me fair.

4000 for 3 sprockets and chain

3300 for: oil change + filter

electrics check, fix brake light petrol light

new spark plugs

new rear brake (drum)

coolant

front brake check

carburator cleaning

battery check

the ,"'holder" what controls the gas cable (dont know the name)

something with the ignition was not good

and a small number of other things

All and all money pretty well spend

Any idea of the make of the chain, most retailers here don't have a clue. Get the name/spec and look it up, or post it here before you buy, the guys here should know what is good.

If it is no good, the guys here will tell you what to buy and he can order it for you, then you will get thousands of km of use.

I bought a mid range chain for my old Phantom and the gutless wonder ate it up, now have shaft drive, so don't know about Thailand. In the UK they have all the top stuff, so can chose anything.

really dont know the make of the chain, one can but hope to rely on his mechanic when living in a condo with no tools or space :)

so far so good though, if anyone is interested its a small shop on the rama iv intersection with ad narong, between suk 24-26.

they are always busy working from 9-7 approx.

I got a recommendation also from someone on this forum as well