Thai Army calm about soldiers facing charges

webfact

POLITICS
Army calm about soldiers facing charges

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Army-police relations remain intact, despite the police having obtained arrest warrants for four soldiers following allegations they were part of a team that shot red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana (Sarakham) last month.

Leading police investigators met and explained the case to Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha and promised justice and transparency in the case.

National police chief Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew yesterday quoted Prayuth as saying the Army would give full cooperation and that the two agencies' ties remained strong.

An informed source said a lieutenant-colonel, who could not yet be reached by his supervisors, was suspected of having masterminded the attack.

Ninth Infantry Division commander Maj Gen Pairoj Thongma-eng said he received a letter summonsing his accused officers for questioning, not a letter for them to hear charges. Confirming the accused were with the division but adding that it had nothing to do with their alleged action, he said finding a motive depended on evidence and investigation, be it a personal matter or politics.

Meanwhile, the wife of Madeunang Masae, who was arrested and reportedly confessed to shooting Kwanchai, filed a complaint with the Muang Udon Thani Police on Monday, claiming officials did not show an arrest warrant when apprehending him.

She claimed her husband was assaulted during the arrest, and that the alleged confession was forced and made under duress.

Police investigators in protest-related issues - including the 34 Bangkok election-obstruction cases, the Lak Si clash and the murder of protest leader Suthin Taratin - will report their progress to police deputy chief Aek Angsananont today.

Arrest warrants would soon be issued for at least three suspects in the Lak Si case - out of some 21 individuals reportedly involved in the melee, said Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) deputy chief Khachonsak Pansakhon.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-12

• Like 1

Does the army know something we don't as usually they are not too happy about BIB involvement with soldiers.

I love the bit about the supposed mastermind, a Lt. Col, not being reachable by his supervisors. Does this mean he is AWOL, MIA or ML ( Mislaid ) ?

• Like 1

Does the army know something we don't as usually they are not too happy about BIB involvement with soldiers.

I love the bit about the supposed mastermind, a Lt. Col, not being reachable by his supervisors. Does this mean he is AWOL, MIA or ML ( Mislaid ) ?

We are very lucky that the pace of internet, IT and CCTV cams has outstripped the Army's ability to work behind the scenes un-noticed. Pantip, twitter and FB have done what the Thai Media are incabable of doing and have widely circutalted thousands of pics every day.

2006 and 2010 it was all "oh, it's a mysterious third hand" or men in black cambodians. This time round, we are seeing it is members of the forces. And some at a very high level indeed. No mystery now and the Popcorn Bag man is next with his mates. Be interesting to see their names and if they are soldiers. They have the names... just waiting for the warrants!!!

Reg. the Lt Colonel this goes right to the top of the pile. These are no rogue conscripts, this is commissioned Officer ranking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_colonel

This has now openly become and armed insurrection and power grab. So many military involved protecting Suthep and protecting those ballot papers last weekend.

5 or 6 years ago, this coup would have succeeded already smile.png

Edited by pipkins
  • Like 1

Well now General, what this about soldiers not taken sides? Seems your man are not following orders.

Your name suites you very well!

You got a problem with it? If so state it, or are you just trying to increase your post total with worthless remarks. My advise mine your own damn business.

Well now General, what this about soldiers not taken sides? Seems your man are not following orders.

I think everyone knows the side that the army is on.

Doesn't take a genius.

For sure the army is generally anti Shinawatra but they have been very careful to show they are acting on behalf of interests of ALL people in Thailand

Doesn't take a genius.

For sure the army is generally anti Shinawatra but they have been very careful to show they are acting on behalf of interests of ALL people in Thailand
What, you mean by attempting to assassinate the people they don't like?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

All this is of course rather embarrassing for the army that says it is "neutral" and belongs to all Thais.

It was clear that the army sided with Suthep and the yellows, now it is even clearer.

But the fact that several soldiers were caught, and more to be caught, is a good news.

This will expose the real role of the army to the whole world and make it harder for the generals to impose their will.

In the long run the people will win anyway, like everywhere else on the planet. And the people is represented by PT and Yingluck.

Let's hope Yingluck does keep the spirit and keeps fighting for justice :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by gerry1011

Doesn't take a genius.

The Army only ever acts on behalf of their own interests and always has dont be naive.

Many yellows have denied the military was involved on the side of the protesters, Navy Seals arrested, army personnel id-ed as planning and executing the hit on the red shirt leader in Udon Thani, Army's refusal to give the increased protection to the PM, Army allowing it friend Suthep to hold Bangkok hostage for at least 3 months.

Military neutral, I do not believe so!

Cheers

• Like 1

Doesn't take a genius.

The Army only ever acts on behalf of their own interests and always has dont be naive.

you're clueless about the thai military

Your name suites you very well!

You got a problem with it? If so state it, or are you just trying to increase your post total with worthless remarks. My advise mine your own dam_n business.

Wow you come accross as such a nice person, you great contributions to TV over the years are greatly enjoyed by all the active members. IMO you should try take the chip of you shoulder

It means they sent him a cute Line sticker of a teddy bear under a love heart and a 5 second SnapChat video saying "Where are you?" and he hasn't replied. biggrin.png

• Like 1

you're clueless about the thai military

LOL methinks you need to study the military's history here and examples of its self serving interest a little bit more. While your at it study what it often uses to shore up its legitimacy and engage in coup after coup. its always the same rhetoric. It is never held accountable for anything and has probably killed more Thai people than anyone else. if you choose to pretend its not that way thats your affair .. after all they do say ignorance is bliss wai2.gif

This time however it is I hope going to be forced to hand over these criminals under the spotlight of not only national but international interest... if so we can consider it a landmark moment.

It means they sent him a cute Line sticker of a teddy bear under a love heart and a 5 second SnapChat video saying "Where are you?" and he hasn't replied. biggrin.png

So contacting him is marked as a High Priority ? giggle.gif

• Like 1

we all know there are watermelons in the armed forces, whats to say this isnt them following thaksins orders for the hit as stated elsewhere. If the army was concerned about this we would know but they are very laid back which means they know something we dont and know they have nothing to worry about. Those trying to stir the pot have no idea same as the rest of us but just want to get their 2 bobs worth of bias in, the final details will be very interesting and may surprize some of us.

We are very lucky that the pace of internet, IT and CCTV cams has outstripped the Army's ability to work behind the scenes un-noticed. Pantip, twitter and FB have done what the Thai Media are incabable of doing and have widely circutalted thousands of pics every day.

2006 and 2010 it was all "oh, it's a mysterious third hand" or men in black cambodians. This time round, we are seeing it is members of the forces. And some at a very high level indeed. No mystery now and the Popcorn Bag man is next with his mates. Be interesting to see their names and if they are soldiers. They have the names... just waiting for the warrants!!!

Reg. the Lt Colonel this goes right to the top of the pile. These are no rogue conscripts, this is commissioned Officer ranking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_colonel

This has now openly become and armed insurrection and power grab. So many military involved protecting Suthep and protecting those ballot papers last weekend.

5 or 6 years ago, this coup would have succeeded already smile.png

Ahhhhhh

You are in the know from looking at your computer screen.

Do remember that things yoy see are often not what they really are.

And that is expressly the case with internet.

Don't let your ideas govern or influence your observations

Senior ranks yes. Army enlisted ranks, NCOs skew to non Democrat party options which include PTP.

Of the army personnel who I have met and who have seen action in the South, the leanings are more to PTP.

The navy seems to be more anti Thaksin than other branches. I suppose it is because it is made up of a lot of Southerners.I have never met anyone who had a nice thing to say about the PTP..

I think the Army is more angry at the fact that the soldiers were so badly trained, they actually failed to get a kill shot after firing so many rounds. clap2.gif

We feel for your embarrassment, Gerry. BTW, where are all your buddies on this thread, are they having a lie in this morning?

I can only imagine the army chiefs being utterly embarrassed and bemused by this case.

To think that four of your highly trained officers not only failed to kill their target, but also felt it necessary to hire someone else to join them who obviously can't use a gun.

There again, this may be just more propaganda with a paid for 'confession'.