Cricket - Australia v South Africa Test Series

BookMan

Shane Watson to stay on sidelines for second Test

The dilemma of who to squeeze out of the Australian team to accommodate the return of Shane Watson seems certain to be delayed by at least a week, after the all-rounder failed to participate fully in the squad's first training session in Port Elizabeth ahead of Thursday's second Test.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/shane-watson-to-stay-on-sidelines-for-second-test-20140218-32yds.html

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan McLaren out of second Test

South Africa allrounder Ryan McLaren has been ruled out of the second Test against Australia because of mild concussion after

being hit on the head by a bouncer from Mitchell Johnson.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/content/current/story/720269.html

the MJ carnage continues.

Ryan McLaren out of second Test

South Africa allrounder Ryan McLaren has been ruled out of the second Test against Australia because of mild concussion after

being hit on the head by a bouncer from Mitchell Johnson.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/content/current/story/720269.html

the MJ carnage continues.

Wow. I didnt think the blow had hit him that hard. The South African batsmen will have that in back of mind

Second Test pitch likely to be devoid of grass

When Australian captain Michael Clarke sought a guide on pitch conditions for Thursday’s second Test in Port Elizabeth, he visited the St George’s Park head curator. He would have been better off just waiting for the arrival of South Africa’s team bus.

Clarke was encouraged by what he saw on the pitch – a lot of grass – when Australia trained at the venue on Tuesday, but was less encouraged by the curator’s preparation intentions beyond that.I had a chat to the groundsman ... [who said], ‘At the moment the grass is 8mm high’,’’ Clarke said.

‘‘I asked what he’s going to do with that. He said, ‘I’m going to speak to their captain and coach before I make a decision’. That’s the groundsman’s plans, so I’m interested to see what the South African captain and coach’s plans are for this wicket.’

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/second-test-pitch-likely-to-be-devoid-of-grass-20140219-330pq.html

South Africa preparing a wicket to suit Philander?

Edited by BookMan

Second Test pitch likely to be devoid of grass

When Australian captain Michael Clarke sought a guide on pitch conditions for Thursday’s second Test in Port Elizabeth, he visited the St George’s Park head curator. He would have been better off just waiting for the arrival of South Africa’s team bus.

Clarke was encouraged by what he saw on the pitch – a lot of grass – when Australia trained at the venue on Tuesday, but was less encouraged by the curator’s preparation intentions beyond that.I had a chat to the groundsman ... [who said], ‘At the moment the grass is 8mm high’,’’ Clarke said.

‘‘I asked what he’s going to do with that. He said, ‘I’m going to speak to their captain and coach before I make a decision’. That’s the groundsman’s plans, so I’m interested to see what the South African captain and coach’s plans are for this wicket.’

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/second-test-pitch-likely-to-be-devoid-of-grass-20140219-330pq.html

South Africa preparing a wicket to suit Philander?

After being 1 nil down, the last thing SA need is a draw though.

I think we've got them covered in the spin and pace department

so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Proteas 4/193 after tea.

The unfortuneatly named Quinton de Kock making his debut for SOuth Africa

He only made 7 Now 5/214

Spinners have 3 wickets

Lyon 2 and Smith 1

Bad light stops play.

Good day for the Aussies really. ball was doing stuff all for most of the day, but disciplined bowling, good fielding, good pressure and we have 5 wickets. de Kock (giggle.gif ) and Elgar both out to shots they didn't need to play.

Day 2. South Africa good fightback 1st session. now 5/323. Pitch offering nothing for the quicks.

They'd be hoping for 500 now

They doctored the pitch to blunt Johnson, but the yarpies need wins, not draws, with Oz one up in a three test series.

Day 2. South Africa good fightback 1st session. now 5/323. Pitch offering nothing for the quicks.

They'd be hoping for 500 now

They doctored the pitch to blunt Johnson, but the yarpies need wins, not draws, with Oz one up in a three test series.

The run rate has not been great for South Africa. 2.79/over

At tea South Africa 8/413

Lyon has 4/126 off 45 overs. That is a lot of overs.

Clarke took a caught n bowled also!

Bajebus! Parnell in his opening over takes two wickets...

Australia 3/41

Aussies in a spot of bother.

Indeed.

4/81 now. Clarke out. Warner lucky to be there, dropped by the wicketkeeper the over before. Nathan Lyon sent in as night watchman

• Like 1

Australian coach Darren Lehmann takes aim at top-order

Darren Lehmann says Australia must stop relying on its middle and lower order after South Africa's fast-bowlers made a bigger impact in 25 overs than Australia's made in 152.

The Proteas' ability to coast to 423 after choosing to bat first in Port Elizabeth was made to look even more impressive after Australia slumped to 4-81 in reply. Both of its not-out batsmen, David Warner (65) and nightwatchman Nathan Lyon (12 not out), survived dropped catches late in the day, while Lyon also benefited from an umpiring blunder when Kumar Dharmasena failed to see him clearly edging Dale Steyn behind in the second-last over of the day.

"It could have been worse if they took a couple of chances. They bowled very well, give them some credit there," coach Lehmann said. "I think the wicket is still very good . . . we probably helped with a couple of dismissals.

Full article here

Incredible bowling from SA's quickies on a fairly dead track.

Morkel especially. Every ball bowled made me nervous, expecting SA to get another wicket

All credit to Lyon for somehow lasting 8 overs

Edited by BookMan

Aussies all out 246!

35 run last wicket patnership.

Very good bowling from SOuth Africa. Morkel cause all sorts of problems like Johnson did in the first test.

SA dropped catches, missed run outs, didn't review decisions that would have been out....it could have been a lot worse for the Aussies

• Like 1

2/152 not all lost yet.

Not lost at all!

I didn't think much of Doolan's innings...5 off 45 balls or something? he seemed unsure from the first ball he faced.

Time for Clarke to come up with a big innings?

Edit: errrr.....Marsh out for a duck..Gives him a matching pair for his mantelpiece for this game .3/153..Looking a bot worse now

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1