Cricket - Australia v South Africa Test Series

BookMan

1st test starts in Centurion in about 8 hours.

South Africa favourites at $1.96 . Aussies $2.90 for this test.

South Africa $1.72 for the series. Aussies $3.30

I think Australia's batting weaknesses will be exposed this series. Our bowling stocks are good, but then again, so are South Africa's. Where England failed to capitalise when they had the Aussies 5 for I don't think South Africa will have the same problems, dismissing our tail much more easily.

Available to watch online here; http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline=cricket

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Our fast bowling attack is either 1 or 2 in the world.

The 2 big questions for me are, can Lyon stand up against

good opposition away from home?

And, like you said, our batting. Haddin wallpapered over the cracks

in the Ashes. I'm not sure Doolan is the answer but Hughes has had multiple

chances and not taken them. I think Marsh has the right technique but think he's

a bit mentally soft. He was an outstanding teenager who hasn't really kicked on.

Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

I have registered with the website as requested but all I get is another request to register to watch movies. I am obviously doing something wrong. Any ideas

No need to register...I never have.

Just click the Cricket Icon....and then you will have a choice of different streams. Click on on of them until u find one that works.

No need to download anything (if offered) on any of the streams.

Teams for the game. Was surprised Shaun marsh got the nod....surprised he is in the squad at all

South Africa 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Alviro Petersen, 3 Hashim Amla 4 Faf du Plessis, 5 AB de Villiers (wk), 6 JP Duminy, 7 Ryan McLaren, 8 Robin Peterson, 9 Vernon Philander, 10 Dale Steyn, 11 Morne Morkel.

Australia 1 David Warner, 2 Chris Rogers, 3 Alex Doolan, 4 Shaun Marsh, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Steven Smith, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Ryan Harris, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Teams for the game. Was surprised Shaun marsh got the nod....surprised he is in the squad at all

South Africa 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Alviro Petersen, 3 Hashim Amla 4 Faf du Plessis, 5 AB de Villiers (wk), 6 JP Duminy, 7 Ryan McLaren, 8 Robin Peterson, 9 Vernon Philander, 10 Dale Steyn, 11 Morne Morkel.

Australia 1 David Warner, 2 Chris Rogers, 3 Alex Doolan, 4 Shaun Marsh, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Steven Smith, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Ryan Harris, 11 Nathan Lyon.

I think Shaun Marsh has more talent than most of the "rest" of the players who don't

get regular games. He has scored a 140+ in tests. But like I said, a bit soft methinks.

It shows how little batting is around when he gets in averaging 20 something along

with Doolan who is the same and Hughes who has been given multiple chances.

Recent players like Bailey, Cowan etc just weren't up to it and these blokes (Marsh, Hughes)

are the best of an ordinary bunch.

Aust 3/83 at lunch. You'd take that after being sent in but I don't think it sends a good message

out with Clarke batting at 5.

Edited by Will27

Marsh now 90. Hope he gets his 100. Saw the interview with Clarke after he lost the toss. He said he would have had a bat. He thought there may be some difficulties before lunch but it would improve after that.

Now 4/216 Last wicket fell at 98.

Marsh now 100

Edited by ripstanley

Honours to Australia on the first day! 4/297

Marsh not out 122

Smith not out 91

Partnership of almost 200

Gee, Steve Smith looks like he is really coming of age.

He really seems to have improved and kicked on from

the last Ashes series played in England.

Good to see my boy Marsh getting a fewbiggrin.png

The test for him now will be to go on with it tonight and

for the rest of the series. He has a habit of getting a good

start (century on debut) and then falling away.

Very good position for the boys, especially after being sent in.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Smith played some lovely shots. He seems to be getting centuries or out for under 20 in Test matches.

You picked Marsh as the most likely to succeed from an average bunch Will27, and you would think he would play the remaining tests this series now.

Mitchell Johnson has become the most feared bowler in the world I think.

A great position by the Aussies after losing some quick wickets when they

were batting.

If SA don't reach the follow, I'd still be tempted to bat again. Try and get a lead

of 400 plus and bowl to them on a wearing wicket.

Still a long way to go though. SA aren't number 1 by accident.

• Like 1

Mitchell Johnson has become the most feared bowler in the world I think.

A great position by the Aussies after losing some quick wickets when they

were batting.

If SA don't reach the follow, I'd still be tempted to bat again. Try and get a lead

of 400 plus and bowl to them on a wearing wicket.

Still a long way to go though. SA aren't number 1 by accident.

There was some good comment about Mitchell from Bob Willis and Steve Harmison on Skysports after rain stopped play.

Mainly about his change of action and run up and increased accuracy, allowing his pace to be utilised so well.

Seeing some of the top batsmen in the world struggling to deal with his pace was a lovely sight from an Australian's perspective.

Be interesting if the South African batsmen become shell shocked like the English players did in the Ashes series.

Johnno....7/140

45.1 Johnson to Peterson, OUT, too quick, too accurate, too hostile, too good...Johnson bags his fifth! Another precisely delivered short ball, homing in on Peterson's rib cage and armpit. Those are fiendishly difficult to play for a left hander from round the wicket and all he can do is thrust his gloves up, then the ball balloons off them towards second slip

RJ Peterson c Clarke b Johnson 10 (23b 2x4 0x6) SR: 43.47

Johnno....7/140

45.1 Johnson to Peterson, OUT, too quick, too accurate, too hostile, too good...Johnson bags his fifth! Another precisely delivered short ball, homing in on Peterson's rib cage and armpit. Those are fiendishly difficult to play for a left hander from round the wicket and all he can do is thrust his gloves up, then the ball balloons off them towards second slip

RJ Peterson c Clarke b Johnson 10 (23b 2x4 0x6) SR: 43.47

It is a pleasure to watch Johnson bowling at the moment. Not since Warnie have I enjoyed watching a bowler so much

• Like 1