Fan Repair Shop

phuketsub

My workhorse Hatari floor fan is acting up after three years of intensive use.

Symptom: an annoying vibrating sound that makes it impossible for me to work (I am a writer) when it is on.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the motor, so I hate just throwing it away and buying a new one (always my wife's advice).

Questions:

1. Has anyone had similar problems and how did you deal with them?

2. What is the most reliable fan brand available here? (I still have some old Japanese-made wall mount fans that are over 20 years old and they work fine)

3. Is there a good, reasonably-priced shop somewhere in Phuket Town that specializes in fan repair that can be recommended?

4. Are there any other possible uses for the motor? If it still works I hate to throw it away...

Thanks for any help

If its vibrating then either the fan blades are not balanced, try cleaning them or use a bit of tape to balance (like a car wheel with weightgs) of the shaft of the motor is on its way out. These are, virtually, impossible to fix I would have thought. I would assume they are sealed & would not be worth the hassel for someone to take apart & repair, what is essentially a cheap electirc motor.

I would look on one of the 2nd hand pages for a spare, then Frankenstain them together

I of course could well be proved wrong......

As Eezer said, cleaning the blades is first thing to check. While you are doing that, check that the screw is fully tightened.

Sometimes the often plastic connector part at the behind of the blade looses it's form, which allows the blade to move compared to the metal bar (shaft pin?) coming from the motor. Quick fix for this is to put something flat and heatproof between the blade and the metal bar and then tighten the screw well.

In case it's the fan blade problem, Amorn sells new blades for few hundred baht, take the old one with you as there are many different models and sizes.

Before you even clean the blades, make sure the plastic nut holding the fan blades to the shaft is tight.

That was my first "fix" with my Hatari fan and it's been smooooth ever since- going on 3 years now.

Thanks, but it is too late for that now: the thing has stopped turning completely and the motor just gets hot when I plug it in.

..time for a replacement I guess. Maybe I'll take the whole things apart later and see what happens; nothing to lose, that is for sure.

..thanks for all your comments/help

Before you even clean the blades, make sure the plastic nut holding the fan blades to the shaft is tight.

That was my first "fix" with my Hatari fan and it's been smooooth ever since- going on 3 years now.

Thanks, but it is too late for that now: the thing has stopped turning completely and the motor just gets hot when I plug it in.

..time for a replacement I guess. Maybe I'll take the whole things apart later and see what happens; nothing to lose, that is for sure.

..thanks for all your comments/help

They are easy to take apart. A good vacuuming under the hood, new blade and a little lube on the fan piston thingy, might get it up and running. I did one last year. Do a Google or YouTube search for info on quick fixes.

Mine does the same after about 2 years, Blades for Hatari fans can be bought anywhere here, bought another 18" one yesterday gone up in price now 99 baht... Do nothing the blade will shatter as mine did yesterday.. Live out in the sticks and the local hardware stores sell all sizes.

every month put a few drops of Singer machine oil on the spindle and spin it by hand [often if you spin the spindle by hand blade off you will find it tight = noise.. couple of drops of oil let it run down the spindle to the bearing and test again spins free = no noise]

Hatari fans appear to be the best here and long lasting, 2 of my 18" ones bought 10 years ago used everyday, 2x 26" one never had a problem one is 8 years old, oil every 3 months.. The newer one bought 2012 is better and has 5 blades

Did have some other makes, did not last long, and long since been recycled, even my Panasonic is on it 3 motor.. Hatari fans never a problem other than needing new blades every cheap fix.

Mine does the same after about 2 years, Blades for Hatari fans can be bought anywhere here, bought another 18" one yesterday gone up in price now 99 baht... Do nothing the blade will shatter as mine did yesterday.. Live out in the sticks and the local hardware stores sell all sizes.

every month put a few drops of Singer machine oil on the spindle and spin it by hand [often if you spin the spindle by hand blade off you will find it tight = noise.. couple of drops of oil let it run down the spindle to the bearing and test again spins free = no noise]

Hatari fans appear to be the best here and long lasting, 2 of my 18" ones bought 10 years ago used everyday, 2x 26" one never had a problem one is 8 years old, oil every 3 months.. The newer one bought 2012 is better and has 5 blades

Did have some other makes, did not last long, and long since been recycled, even my Panasonic is on it 3 motor.. Hatari fans never a problem other than needing new blades every cheap fix.

I was going to buy another Hatari, but the staff at BigC advised against it, saying the motors always die not much longer than the warranty: 1 year. I got a Sharp instead (3yr guarantee) and will have a go at repairing the old Hatari once I get some free time.

Meanwhile my two 20-year-old+ Hitachi wall-mount fans are still working fine...I wish I could clone them.

3yr guarantee ? good and what do you do when it has gone back for weeks for repair under guarantee ?

I have had Sharp, Troy and another forget the name, waste of time..

For me anyway Hatari is good the old one is on 24/7 for 8 years, still the same fan blade [leave it on low at night for the dogs that do not come up to bed] is the old type Tripod with 3 blades

The newer one is better, if I remember was just over 4,000 baht + and they have sizes up to 30" if wanted

post-42643-0-10788100-1392267674_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

• 10 years later...

I have a Honeywell stand up fan with water evaporation cooling function. Problem is it randomly leaks all the water out. After 2 clean up sessions I now have it in a plastic bin, fortunately the motor is high enough that it doesn't go under water. I bought at Power Buy and the less than switched on staff directed me to a shop house on the bypass that was not interested.  A Google search just now comes up with Kee Hin Electric, hard to imagine they'll look at it and Alpha Computer in Town. Hard enough to get them to repair a laptop. Sure would like to get it working, pretty hot these days.