Thai press freedom improves in World Press Freedom index

webfact

Thai press freedom improves in World Press Freedom index2-12-2014-9-10-54-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s image of press freedom inches five places up to 130th from 135th in 2013 among 180 countries in the 2014 World Press Freedom index released by the France-based Reporters Without Borders(RSF), the global media watchdog.

The latest 2014 ranking put Thailand ahead of other countries in ASEAN, except Brunei which came in the 117th place.

Malaysia of which its image as an open and moderate country tumbled 23 places to land at 147th , below Indonesia (132th), Cambodia (144th), Myanmar (145th) , but better than the Philippines which placed 149th while Singapore in 150th position, Laos 171st and Vietnam 174th.

The global media watchdog said the past year showed that certain governments in the Asia-Pacific region, even democratic ones, can be extremely sensitive to criticism. This was evident from the many judicial proceedings, often resulting in disproportionate sentences, that were initiated against journalists under pressure from government agencies or officials.

(photo : http://en.rsf.org/)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-press-freedom-improves-world-press-freedom-index/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-13

For a country that prospers on the basis of tourism and emphasizes tourism, Thailand makes a very poor showing.

Who can be happy at being 130th out of 180 ?

Oh but we've improved !

Improvement would be proper investigative journalism, serious follow ups and being able to publish without fear of lawsuits and other forms of intimidation.

Freedom of the press versus thin skinned politicians who can't take constructive criticism ( Ah La Thaskin) , until you have proper guide lines on reporting and TV images control, programme guidelines , proper media affirmative guides , the paper and TV press of Thailand will always be a mouth piece for some and money making churn for others , the standard of investigative reporting needs a make over, with legal and proof reading opinion before going to press..

• Like 1

"Thailand’s image of press freedom inches five places up to 130th from 135th ..."

The sure ways to improve its standing in press freedom would be to...oops, can't say that, or to...oops, can't say that either, or definitely to be able to say...D__n, can't say that either. I suppose the most effective way for Thailand to improve it standing is to have other nations fall lower in the standing.

• Like 2

Get rid of libel and slander law, which is only in place. To protect criminals!

Being prosecuted for slander and libel is perfectly acceptable when the allegations are false. The problem in Thailand is the ridiculous situation where one can be prosecuted and found guilty of saying something that is 100% true. This is the travesty of law that needs to be addressed.

Now more people have been prosecuted under the lese majeste law in the Yingluck government than in Apisit's tenure.

EXACTLY

And they call this Press Freedom?

What is this, the Thai Joke of the Millenium - or - The Thai Arrogance at it's peak?

Not even in this forum you can speak out, not to mention - the truth and facts.

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Bring it on people, more of this jokes, they aren't even funny any longer. It makes a great resource for a book, the world will not only laugh about this sicko stuff.

Now more people have been prosecuted under the lese majeste law in the Yingluck government than in Apisit's tenure.

Prosecuted or convicted? It could be true, although it seemed more cases had already begun under Abhisit's tenure until the recent spate beginning in December. One jailed in December was for 'spreading rumours' about royal health in 08 I think. Or was it 09? Then there was the guy who was jailed for 13 years for 'attempted LM'. A red shirt student was charged I think. Plus the recent accusations by the six minor royals. Also the recent accusation of LM levelled at Thammasat historian Somsak Jeamteerasakun. His 'crime' as the army sees it, seems to have been to ridicule royalists, rather than anything to do with defaming the monarch or his heir. The shooting at his home yesterday is a worrying sign.

In any case I didn't think Abhisit was personally responsible for the rise in LM prosecutions under his tenure. It just happened that allegations went up under him, as they have generally post-coup. I don't think he pushed for a crackdown, but I don't think he made any serious attempt to stop it either, despite his words to the contrary. He didn't say a word when an uncle with cancer was jailed for supposedly sending text messages containing LM to his secretary. Obviously Ar Kong would later die in jail. Whilst this was going on, Democrats like Mallika were calling for harsher sentences and even calling for Facebook and Youtube to be blocked. Another reason why the Democrats are not to be taken seriously as reformers committed to democracy.

LM is probably the main reason that Thailand is so low on the list. The printed press is actually pretty free except for that. LM and libel laws in general should be reformed or abolished if Thailand is to become a truly democratic country.

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

Finland won it ? In that case the press isn't all that free anywhere.

What do You mean?

The Finnish press is heavily influenced by prevailing political correctness. Immigration seems to be the hottest potato at the moment, with a simple reference to the phrase "hate speech" being enough to stop reporters writing anything negative about the topic. I still follow them, even though I haven't lived there for seven years. Ain't all that free.

Better than Thai, sure.

Thailand is two places behind Afghanistan on this list. And this is an improvement ? Of course, Chalerm has his work cut out for him. He wants Thailand to place somewhere around 200 on the list. The press still has too much freedom.

The RSF website also keeps statistics on 'internet freedom'. The latest on Thailand is a year old, so it could be better than this:

"Published on Monday 12 March 2012. Updated on Wednesday 23 January 2013.

The status of Thailand’s online freedom of expression began to deteriorate from the moment the new Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra assumed power in July 2011. Abusive recourse to the politically exploited lèse-majesté law has led to an increase in litigations and strict censorship. The sentencing of Ampon Tangnoppakul, known as ”Uncle SMS” set off a chain of heated reactions in the country and abroad. Apparently the government has forgotten its promises to amend Article 112 of the Thailand Penal Code."

razer, on 13 Feb 2014 - 14:59, said:

I thought Thailand was a "democracy". Why are the elite afraid of a free press?

Sorry, you should have asked...I thought Thailand was a "democracy". Why are the elite is the Government afraid of a free press?

And the answer is: Because they are run by a bunch of clowns, that have nothing to do with Democracy.