Huay Tung Tao flyover

PETDCAT

Very nice - some quite high altitude shots. How high do these things operate ?

Varies according to the model. But more than 400ft, because it's illegal in the US to fly them over that height for some reason.

The official answer:

"As high as the range of the radio transceiver that controls it.

That is, it will probably fly out of sight for most operators."

Edited by Chicog

The footage is nice to watch but I gotta say - I was enjoying a quiet morning on my farm in Chiang Dao a couple weeks ago when someone began flying one of these things over the valley, including a few passes over my land. The noise was pretty annoying, even from a distance, and I really didn't like the thought that someone was possibly filming me on my own property. I understand the attraction of this hobby but I think in public it can come across as selfish and intrusive. Please keep that in mind.

Nice choice of soundtrack, though smile.png

The footage is nice to watch but I gotta say - I was enjoying a quiet morning on my farm in Chiang Dao a couple weeks ago when someone began flying one of these things over the valley, including a few passes over my land. The noise was pretty annoying, even from a distance, and I really didn't like the thought that someone was possibly filming me on my own property. I understand the attraction of this hobby but I think in public it can come across as selfish and intrusive. Please keep that in mind.

That's why we have shotguns back home. biggrin.png

David

Congratulations, looks good!

Your DJI(?) must have floaters, you are a real speedswimmer or live without fear biggrin.png.

Good job!

RC Pilot

Thank You, My first DJI Phantom flew away from me. I was flying close to a golf course near my home when I lost control and I think it either went down in a lake or landed on top of a bunch of trees at the golf course. I looked for a few days but never found it. Now I am a much more focused flyer. Although flying over water is extremely stressful,it is possible. I still owe you some beers next time you are in town.

Cheers

Nice job! Did you have a downlink for FPV? What equipment are you using? With those four props spinning it sure makes a stable video recording platform

I just added FPV and this was my first time using it. I am using the same DJI Phantom that is posted a few responses down on this page.

I personally have not been intruded upon, but I think this is a valid observation --- and one made with a great deal of grace.

Yes, those who fly these intrusive toys should indeed be very careful where they fly them.

It seems that advances in technology gets a bit beyond our current balance of what's socially acceptable. Before, intrusiveness was just peeking through someone's hedge! Now? Well................?

Congratulations, looks good!

Your DJI(?) must have floaters, you are a real speedswimmer or live without fear biggrin.png.

Good job!

RC Pilot

Thank You, My first DJI Phantom flew away from me. I was flying close to a golf course near my home when I lost control and I think it either went down in a lake or landed on top of a bunch of trees at the golf course. I looked for a few days but never found it. Now I am a much more focused flyer. Although flying over water is extremely stressful,it is possible. I still owe you some beers next time you are in town.

Cheers

Perhaps the simple lesson learned is that these are more than just toys! A

I can understand the noise issue, but I doubt they're going to glean much from the top of your head.

biggrin.png

Mind you, dare I say it would be a useful tool for criminals to remotely "case the joint" so to speak.

It's probably OK to shoot them down as long as you shout "Pull" first.

Edited by Chicog

Very nice - some quite high altitude shots. How high do these things operate ?

The transmitter can control it up to about 1000 feet. It can go higher then that but not with the transmitter I have. It is possible to extend the range with a more powerful transmitter.

After a bit of reseacrch I found a little more information that I have copied and will paste here.

The answer depends on if you are on a stock setup or have an upgraded TX. Stock should get you 500 metres away. I have seen people getting 700 meters.... now that will technically work in an upward direction too but for all our sake please PLEASE don't try this out.
400 feet is a pretty standard legal limit across most countries. Outside this and you are interfering with commercial air traffic and no one wants a Phantom going through the prop, screen or engine of an aircraft carrying real people just to see how high it will go if pushed.

If you upgrade your TX to say a Futaba T8J (or any 'full range' set) you can get maybe 2km max.... slap an EzUHF system in there and you can get like 10miles+ with the correct antenna setup. You will never ever achieve this in a Phantom of course cause of battery life (and it'd just be silly to try!).

Some idiot on youtube got nearly 1km up in a Phantom and due to the power it used, it ran out of juice on the way down at about 100feet up.